Updating my Zombie Squad AR.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rburch

Updating my Zombie Squad AR.

Post by rburch » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:00 pm

A while back some of us did a group buy on a ZS lower receiver and built ARs with them.

It was my first build and I had a lot of fun with it. This is how it looked just after completion.

Well over the years since I’d tweaked it a bit here and there, adding a Aimpoint micro, and flashlight, but it just wasn’t really what I wanted. There wasn’t anything wrong with it, but it was what I could afford more than what I wanted.

Fast forward to this month and Midway USA’s birthday coupon showed up giving me the chance to get some new parts at a ridiculously reduced price.

So I ordered the parts and a few tools and here is the new look.

I’m still thinking about other changes, but I like how it feels.

I still need to function test it, but had to work late today and didn’t get to it.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Updating my Zombie Squad AR.

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 am

I like the clean new look. Weapon lights are certainly useful, but they can really throw off the balance of an otherwise finely balanced rifle. I bet it feels great now compared to the old configuration.

How are the egos now that you've lost the angled foregrip and moved to an M-lok handguard? Also curious about your reasoning for getting rid of the backup sights.

Edit: "ergos", not "egos" :oops:
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

rburch

Post by rburch » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:01 am

One of the goals of this update was to put that gun on a diet. That basic fact was my 16” ar15 was heavier than my ar180b, and I simply found myself leaving the ar behind most of the time.

I know the light was a lot of it, but even with that off it felt chunky up front.

It didn’t help that the light was really heavy for its size, it was picked because it was extremely bright and threw a long pattern.

The gun feels amazing with out that weight so that light is getting retired, but I agree weapon lights add a lot of functionality, so I’ll be shopping around for a lighter one.

The ergonomics are a bit odd, I miss the angled grip, but the new hand guard is small enough I can easily wrap my whole hand around it and it feels pretty good.

I’m going to play with it a bit, and if I’m not happy I’ll put another angled grip on it.

As for the back up sights, I only have a rear one right now, so it seemed pointless to put it on at the moment.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 am

Love the clean look of it, I need to put my main on a diet. I built one a couple years ago with a slick slide upper. No forward assist, no dust cover, dnd a really nice (though shorter than I like handguard). The feel just feels right and is so much fun to shoot. Plus my buddy painted it. It was suppose to be OD green, but turned out a bit lighter, so this is my army man green AR.

JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 pm

OK, I really like that stock for a project that's pops in and out of my head. Not to threadjack, but it would be a shootable AR built to look as much as possible as a Blastech A280. (Rebel commando rifle from Return of the Jedi.)
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Mine is still pretty much as it was built a few years ago...changed the barrel/bolt and scope (and of course mags) when I converted it from 300BLK to 6.8 SPC-II last year (maybe two years ago now?):

Original 300BLK configuration; Leupold scope with 300BLK reticle now on another upper:

And in light(er) weight 6.8 guise:

It’s my primary pig gun, but may have to use it take this buck that’s been hanging out on some land we have North of here:

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”