Considering buying an SKS, but...

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

echo83

Considering buying an SKS, but...

Post by echo83 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:27 pm

I have a few questions. As background, my local store has a Yugo for $600, and it appears to be in good condition. I've been watching the online ads for months, and reading as much as I can, and this might be the best deal available in my area.

I'd prefer to buy local over online, because I like this store, like doing business face-to-face, and want to personally inspect my purchase.

1.) I've heard horror stories about the gas cut off on the grenade launcher, as well as the lack of chrome-lined bore. Are they overblown? Or will proper cleaning do the trick?

2.) Is there a significant difference in quality between a Norinco and a Yugo?

3.) What should I pay close attention to while inspecting one?

4.) Is there a reputable place where I can find a manual?

flybynight

Re: Considering buying an SKS, but...

Post by flybynight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 pm

600 seems a little high for a yugo

ETA But if you really want one, I guess money is no object
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

minengr

Post by minengr » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:41 pm

I am getting so old. I remember when you could by a crate of them and a 1000 rounds of ammo for half that price.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:36 pm

If you keep the barrel clean after shooting corrosive ammo through it, a non-chrome lined barrel should be fine.

Another issue with the grenade launching Yugos is the gas tube can be pretty loose on the rifle. I never had that issue, but mine was a Model 59 instead of the 59/66 with the grenade launcher.

Now that I think about it, I miss my old SKS. It was beat to hell and ugly, but it ran with all the ammo I put through it and it was my first centerfire rifle (and the reason I now own an AK).

As for the price, it sounds a bit high to me. It wasn't too long ago that J&G Sales had some newer Yugo SKS' without the grenade launcher for around 425 bucks. I'd see if they'd go lower on the price because you're approaching WASR-10 prices currently.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:03 am

minengr wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:41 pm
I am getting so old. I remember when you could by a crate of them and a 1000 rounds of ammo for half that price.
There are so many guns I wish I'd bought when they were dirt cheap. SKSes, Mosin-Nagants, K98s, even M1s.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:40 am

boskone wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:03 am
minengr wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:41 pm
There are so many guns I wish I'd bought when they were dirt cheap. SKSes, Mosin-Nagants, K98s, even M1s.
Same here.

I missed an opportunity to buy a couple of those Swiss K31 rifles for about 75 bucks a pop. I turned them down because one was missing the mag and I had no idea where to get a replacement. Now they're hard to find and are going for about the price of a high end AR.

I also turned down a P-17 Enfield sniper rifle (original, matched scope and all) because I was new to guns and thought 275 bucks was a bit high for an old rifle. Turns out I'd have scored big time for that price because those rifles are worth a good bit of money.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:09 am

The 59/66 is certainly an interesting piece of history what with the NATO grenade launcher on a Warsaw Pact weapon. You can even get a tennis ball or golf ball launcher for it. I've seen some really cool trench art, as well has Beverly Hills 90210 stickers, on the stocks. It is not, in my opinion a $600 gun though. A search of current auctions on https://www.gunauction.com shows that people are certainly asking that much, but a search of closed auctions says "it aint happenin". For $600 you can still find a Russian without looking too hard. Norinco's are even a little less than that. Both are much lighter than the Yugo and avoid all of the gas system issues. Non-chrome lined bore is a non-issue if you don't shoot corrosive ammo. If you love the one at the shop, get it, but I think there are better options.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:00 pm

If one is in California, $600 may not be far from the local value. While most of the country would be stunned to pay that, local politics may make that a reasonable price.

There are plenty of videos on what to look for in an SKS. My advice is to be aware a good looking rifle might not function right. With an SKS, there is the possibility not all the cosmoline has been removed. That is ok, it just means there may be some more work.

I would see the f the store owner "guarantees" his guns for 30 days. The store owners I know usually do that in case you buy a lemon. Then run 100+ rounds of quality ammo through it and see how if there are hiccups. Or see if you can rent the gun and try it. Some store/ranges allow that, but not most.

If you do find issues, I'd call a gunsmith or hunt around the internet for options.

For corrosive ammo, be sure to clean every time you shoot it within an hour. Sooner if you live in the PNW, or you can wait longer if you are in the desert. But soap and hot water clean the corrosive ammo. The "corrosiveness" is salt from a particular primer chemical. If you see a lot of rust in the gas tube or barrel, I'd stay away.

I've seen guns which shot corrosive ammo and were left for months before cleaning. You do get rust. Shooting it often keeps the rust down, but it still forms in the tube, port, muzzle devices, etc.

And consider your expectations. If you want a sub-moa gun, please look elsewhere. But if you want a tough, heavy gun with a limited capacity and some historical coolness in a state with considerable restrictions, I think an SKS is a fine choice.

Yes, the price will give people here heartburn. But we live in the world now, not the world of 30 years ago.

It could be that other rifles would suit your needs better and be cheaper. You could post up what you need and we could suggest some other ideas. But you don't need to. If you have your heart set on an SKS, most of what you really need to know is on videos on the internet.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 am

I own a Norinco SKS which I like a lot. The differences between it and the Yugo are lack of the grenade launcher and the different bayonet. Also I can't say if it's just my Norinco or all of them but mine holds 11 rounds in the internal magazine even if the clips are 10 rounders. The bayonet on the Norinco while it works as it should is well... lacking. It's not a blade but really begins as a cruciform style and then ends as a flat head screwdriver. It doesn't seem weighty enough to be steel, feels more like aluminum. I paid 400 for mine about 2 years ago. Honestly though you wont use the bayonet so what does it matter? Unless your dead set on the blade style bayonet and useless grenade launcher I would choose the Norinco.
Picture of the Norinco bayonet
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

echo83

Post by echo83 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 pm

My fixation with the SKS is that I do live in a ban state. Our Attorney General banned any further import of "assault-type" rifles into the state, so long story short, all AR-style weapons can only be sold from one resident to another. Any semi-auto, detachable magazine type of rifle may as well be made of solid gold. This being the case, I'm looking for a semi-auto with a fixed/internal magazine that is common, reliable and affordable.

What I like about the SKS platform is that it seems to be a simple, reliable, relatively inexpensive firearm with an abundance of surplus parts that uses a common and affordable caliber. It lacks the "scary" features that tend to end up in the headlines, too. I like taking friends to my local range, and many of them have little to no experience with firearms, but are probably getting a little tired of the .22

What I don't like about the SKS is the tendency for prices to vary so widely based on the country of origin. I understand a 1950s Tula is considered top notch, I'm just not going to pay $1,000 plus for it. There are purists who think the Yugo is a giant ball of rust in waiting, alongside those who think anything from Norinco is treason. I'm a little leery about investing in a platform whose quality seems to vary so significantly between country of origin, but with an SKS, that seems to come with the territory.

I appreciate the info so far, the common thread seems to be that 1.) the market in my area is grim and 2.) keep it clean, stick with non-corrosive ammunition, and all will be good.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Also, don't monkey with the stock or the magazine.

A few years ago, it wasn't uncommon to see a bunch of yahoos taking perfectly good rifles and then dragging them through the TAPCO catalog. Then their guns wouldn't function correctly and they'd be pissed.

To me (and probably a few others), the SKS is fine in its stock form and will run better that way. If I still had mine, I'd probably have upgraded the factory sights with a set from Tech Sights, but that's about the only thing I'd have changed.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 pm

echo83 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 pm
My fixation with the SKS is that I do live in a ban state. Our Attorney General banned any further import of "assault-type" rifles into the state, so long story short, all AR-style weapons can only be sold from one resident to another. Any semi-auto, detachable magazine type of rifle may as well be made of solid gold. This being the case, I'm looking for a semi-auto with a fixed/internal magazine that is common, reliable and affordable.

What I like about the SKS platform is that it seems to be a simple, reliable, relatively inexpensive firearm with an abundance of surplus parts that uses a common and affordable caliber. It lacks the "scary" features that tend to end up in the headlines, too. I like taking friends to my local range, and many of them have little to no experience with firearms, but are probably getting a little tired of the .22

What I don't like about the SKS is the tendency for prices to vary so widely based on the country of origin. I understand a 1950s Tula is considered top notch, I'm just not going to pay $1,000 plus for it. There are purists who think the Yugo is a giant ball of rust in waiting, alongside those who think anything from Norinco is treason. I'm a little leery about investing in a platform whose quality seems to vary so significantly between country of origin, but with an SKS, that seems to come with the territory.

I appreciate the info so far, the common thread seems to be that 1.) the market in my area is grim and 2.) keep it clean, stick with non-corrosive ammunition, and all will be good.
Have you considered a M-1 Garand from CMP ? Field grade is $650 , service grade is $750 . After all , buy American right ? :wink:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:18 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 pm
echo83 wrote:

Have you considered a M-1 Garand from CMP ? Field grade is $650 , service grade is $750 . After all , buy American right ? :wink:

Don't you have to buy an adjustable gas plug (or whatever the hell they're called) in order to run commercial grade .30-06 ammo in an M-1 Garand ?

I suppose you could just stick with surplus ammo or try and find the M1 safe .30-06 stuff Federal brought out a few years back.

Not that it's a big deal on the new gas plug, of course. It's just something I've heard from a few sources (ZS being one of them).

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:31 pm

On the parts bit, I can't say for certain as I kept mine stock, but if you add certain non original components to the gun (that's not sights, sling, scope) I believe you have to make sure you are still 922Y compliant to be legal in the US. If you add a new feature to certain aspects of the gun you have to have an additional 4 (?) parts that are US made to be compliant. I remember that being one reason I passed on an Arsenal AK that was a Cali style (no pistol grip, low mag cap, no bayonet lug, etc). I could be wrong though, it's been a while since then.

That being said I run non corrosive russian steel cased ammo though mine and it loves it and it's quite cheap like Red Army, Wolf, Tula.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:06 pm

If you live in a ban state you probably can't add much in the way of CRAPCO accessories anyway. As it sits in its original form, the SKS is the best choice for arming illiterate peasant conscripts overnight. Start adding plastic to it and not only does it get real ugly, it loses the simplicity and reliability. If you plan on doing anything to it, this seems like a worthwhile investment http://www.kivaari.com/index.html. I personally never held onto an SKS long enough to justify doing that (with the exception of my SKS-D, but the assembly for that is different and very hard to find a replacement). Even if you don't want to have the trigger work done, the information on sear engagement on that sight is worth reading.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 am

echo83

Post by echo83 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:50 am

flybynight wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 pm
echo83 wrote:

ARGH! You had to go there! I believe that there is pretty much nothing more Canadian American than the *PING* of an en bloc ejecting, and having had the opportunity to fire an M1 recently, I was enthralled. (To put it lightly.) Other firearms felt like another trip to the range. The Garand made me feel really nostalgic...for a time I have never even experienced. It was weird.

I think the overall ownership cost, and the limited tolerances for ammo, plus cost of ammo have me a little hesitant when considering a Garand. (SKS: "wrong" ammo=more cleaning. M1: "wrong" round=broken op rod=destroying a piece of history.) I know I'm oversimplifying here...

On the other hand, going the CMP route may be a little more reliable than getting outbid at the last minute on other websites.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:00 pm

I'm not up on Cali's latest laws, but a Mini 30 Ranch with 10 rounders is out of the question? Or would that work?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:59 pm

I have heard from many different Mini-30 owners that say it feeds American brass just fine but chokes on steel cased ammo (the cheap stuff). I have a Mini-14 and like it but for the money I would stay way from the the Mini-30.

echo83

Post by echo83 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:00 pm
I'm not up on Cali's latest laws, but a Mini 30 Ranch with 10 rounders is out of the question? Or would that work?
Well, MA laws are a little more difficult to figure out. Mini 14s (or substantially-similar model weapons) are allowed. Mini 14s are specifically listed as permitted. The import of any AR type rifle is no longer permitted, so residents can only buy what is available in the state.

I don't currently have much interest in a detachable magazine, semi-auto rifle. I really have even less interest considering I live in a state where for some reason Mini 14s get a pass, but AR-15s do not. (Without getting political, it seems like my state doesn't know quite what to ban, but that AR-type rifles are a...start.

I know I sound like a broken record, but detachable magazines aren't what I'm looking for. An affordable, reliable semi-auto with a fixed/internal magazine is what I'm looking for. And not some monstrosity that has been hacked apart and reassembled to be (temporarily) MA compliant.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 pm

What about the Remington 7400 or one of it's parent rifles the 740 and 742. It's a semi auto, 50 state legal, and can be had in calibers .243 up to 30"06. I think it held 5 rounds in the internal magazine. From what I have read the 243 and 308 versions are very reliable. The 30'06 and 270 Winchester's long cases gave the gas system problems and some had failure to feed issues. They can usually be found used between 200-500 bucks. I see them in TN pawn shops and gun stores all the time.

Note: the magazines are detachable but I don't think you have to take them out to reload. I think it was mainly a cleaning feature.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:40 am

echo83 wrote:
you might look into the fightlite SCR. I am not familiar with your laws, but this was advertised as a 50 state compliant rifle, that uses AR uppers.
https://fightlite.com/collections/scr-rifles

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 am

Sorry if I missed something earlier in the thread as I just skimmed...

...My thoughts on the SKS and other compliant guns:

-If you go SKS, chrome bore is nice because you don't know who owned it before you and if they cleaned it after popular-in-the-80's corrosive ammo. If you get an un-chrome Yugo with a good bore, it won't matter as most cheap ammo is non-corrosive now-a-days. However, if you are trying to send 20,000 rounds downrange, you may burnout your barrel faster without chrome as most x39 ammo have bimetal jacketed bullets which are tougher on rifling. Or at least I'm told.

-My rankings on SKS from best to worst are Norinco, Russian, Yugo, anything else weird. All are good, but I'm biased towards the Norincos.

-I'd pay $400 for a Yugo SKS in today's market in my unrestricted state if I were looking for one. Maybe $450-500 if it were perfect. Sadly they ain't cheap no more... but if you want one, they aren't making them anymore. A hundred bucks is worth you happiness if you really want one and can't find another anywhere.

-You can always buy a bubba version that someone ruined for cheap and bring it back

-The SKS is much less heavy and bulky than the Garand. I love Garands, but the ergos are weird and they are pigs.

-Competitors: KelTec SU16, Ruger Mini, those Fightlites that were mentioned above, Saiga sporters, or a basatardized compliant AR47. If you wanted 7.62x39, then your only real option is an SKS for the price. If you want 5.56, then the options are better. If you want a bigger caliber, I'd look for a Saiga and get your pocketbook (my shop has a .308 Saiga for $800 for comparison and that's a great price)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:53 am

Oh, or M1 Carbine!!!! There should be a crap ton of those around though the people who have them from the 60's through 80's aren't selling them (unless it's an estate sale)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”