I got the hots for an AK.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

brothaman

I got the hots for an AK.

Post by brothaman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:54 am

What's the good mid priced stuff. I don't have Arsenal level cashflow atm.
PSA is local and I do like their other product but I don't see a lot of reviews on their new AKs.
Thinking I can get out of an AR and into and AK..
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

woodsghost

Re: I got the hots for an AK.

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 pm

So....what price are you looking at? Because a lot of AKs are going for more than $750. And I believe the lower budget Arsenal's are around $850?

GunBroker might be the place to hunt for good brands at lower prices.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:28 pm

brothaman wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:54 am
What's the good mid priced stuff. I don't have Arsenal level cashflow atm.
PSA is local and I do like their other product but I don't see a lot of reviews on their new AKs.
Thinking I can get out of an AR and into and AK..
Classic Firearms usually has good deals on AKs. AIM has some Riley Defense stuff too, but I don't have any dealings with that brand. I've only had a Romanian AK from M+M (this was before they got sued by Century) and a Hungarian AK from Classic Firearms.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 am

Atlantic Arm's "pro" line might be worth considering, if you have the dinero for a top-of-the-line build.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/produc ... 7-62-rifle

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:19 pm

This is the closest thing I can find on short notice that I would call "reasonable."

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/produc ... d-receiver

It is pretty bare bones, and really makes sense if you plan to buy an aftermarket trigger, an aftermarket safety lever, and aftermarket furniture. That should bring the rifle total to around $700, and you will have something very suited to a modern warfare environment and having a lot of the quality and comfort you are probably accustomed to with the AR.

Just a thought.

Otherwise, if you find something in the $600 range, please post here and we will give feedback. If you find something in the $700-$800 range, I think that is a good starting point anymore. Which is kinda stunning.

I assume you don't want to go the whole "build your own" route but would be interested in assembling a rifle with cool parts.

The RAS-47 is a bit controversial. I'd go over to the AK Operators Union and watch reviews, though James Yeager at Tactical Response says he has had more positive experiences than the last AKOU vids I watched. You can make your own choices. I have a friend who is very happy with his, and he has less than 1000 rounds through it. I"m most excited by Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Russian, and Chinese rifles, for what it's worth.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ras47-r ... tury-arms/

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 pm

I must be punished for letting that SLR-95 go. :gonk: :evil: :twisted:

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 am

I was guessing mid price meant around $600. I don't know. I really dig the arsenal gun. I might try for a used arsenal. I might get lazy and go for the PSA product,.. 'cuz its near by and they always have something around $500. I don't know that the AK is a gun that I'll use frequently. I'd like to think I'd run it hard for awhile, but I seem to fall back on a particular AR I have for work-horsing,.. I didn't really fall in love with my 7.62x39 AR or my Grendel. Even though I really liked both and they're both great rifles, they just didn't see much use.

I just need to buckle down and do the research. Maybe my feelings for the AK will change between now and then. Maybe I can find my way out of an AK and into and AK.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Anymore I think you have to love the round or the look to get into them. I like both, so it is any easy fit for me. I also really like cheap 30cal, but I need to look at lighter rounds.

Just my $.02.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Moab posts good info on AKs in the "all purpose AK thread".

If I remember, from this forum as well as AKOU and YouTube, WASR are the best budget buys. Or the RH10 rifles.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Also, Century is supposed to be releasing their new "heavy duty" AK variants. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 pm

JeeperCreeper said: Also, Century is supposed to be releasing their new "heavy duty" AK variants. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

From your lips to God's ears.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/10/centur ... -shipping/

Delray Beach, Fla. – -(AmmoLand.com)- Century Arms, North America’s premier AK manufacturer, is excited to announce their new heavy duty AK rifle, the VSKA (vis-kuh), is now shipping. Re-engineered with critical components using machined S7 tool steel, the VSKA is the result of a special development program for a United States government project that was finalized in 2017.

“It’s very exciting for us to finally see the VKSA start shipping to the commercial market,” said Jason Karvois, Century’s Director of Sales. “We have been working on this project for some time now and the conclusive feedback we received from the U.S. government was clear evidence that our efforts had paid off. Now it’s time for civilian consumers to reap the benefits of this project.”

The VSKA rifle features an all-new bolt carrier, front trunnion, and feed ramp machined from S7 tool steel and specially heat treated for maximum durability. S7, often referred to as a “Shock-Resisting Tool Steel,” is commonly used for tools like chisels and jackhammer tips as it has maximum shock resistance and high compression strength while retaining toughness.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:04 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:19 pm
This is the closest thing I can find on short notice that I would call "reasonable."

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/produc ... d-receiver

It is pretty bare bones, and really makes sense if you plan to buy an aftermarket trigger, an aftermarket safety lever, and aftermarket furniture. That should bring the rifle total to around $700, and you will have something very suited to a modern warfare environment and having a lot of the quality and comfort you are probably accustomed to with the AR.

Just a thought.

Otherwise, if you find something in the $600 range, please post here and we will give feedback. If you find something in the $700-$800 range, I think that is a good starting point anymore. Which is kinda stunning.

I assume you don't want to go the whole "build your own" route but would be interested in assembling a rifle with cool parts.

The RAS-47 is a bit controversial. I'd go over to the AK Operators Union and watch reviews, though James Yeager at Tactical Response says he has had more positive experiences than the last AKOU vids I watched. You can make your own choices. I have a friend who is very happy with his, and he has less than 1000 rounds through it. I"m most excited by Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Russian, and Chinese rifles, for what it's worth.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ras47-r ... tury-arms/
I own an AK build and parts company. The WASR and ARsenal are the only ones I would recommend. In fact, I'd buy the one above but it's not chrome lined. They do sell chrome lined ones. You might wait for one of those or contact them. Buy some furniture and a few spare parts and your done. It's the cheapest alternative. But unless you see yourself shooting 50k rounds thru it this one would be fine. The barrel is 4150 IIRC. Totally fine for a shooter.

AK and AR prices took a flip flop in the last couple years. You can get a PSA AR for $329. But there AK's are junk. AK's start at $700 for a decent one. Basically anything where the parts are US manufactured are junk. Unless it's a receiver. All receivers are US made of course. All these made in the usa companies use cast or inferior metal in their guns. You'll see guys bragging about their CAI's or IO's. But they haven't put more than a couple hundred rounds thru them.

The cheapest best AK is the WASR at the moment. A modern WASR. Like from Atlantic or Classic. Atlantic QC's there's. This is probably your best deal and it's chrome lined. https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/produc ... 39mm-rifle

From the largest AK47 group on facebook. Avoid these guns:

" I.O, Century's manufactured C39 v1 and v2, Their hungarian kit builds, RAS47, Hesse, Blackheart, Lee Armory, PSA, Pioneers cast trash, Clearview's Hungarian builds, AND Riley Defense are NOT recommended here. 100% clear, no pics or posts of these, or questions about them. If you want to know why, use our search feature and read for hours and see pictures. DO NOT post your new subspec Ak here and then get offended by people saying you made a bad choice, and act like an angry child. You should have researched here FIRST. DO not get angry with members here because you made a bad decision. Do not recommend them as we want true, correct information here so members can have a place for verifiable truth, and correct information."

Most AK's are crap right now.

Or have one built using a barreled parts kit from Arms of America. PM me and I can answer your questions. The WASR is about the only thing going that is considered cheap and reliable in the AK community. They used to be the laughing stock of the AK world. So you'll see a lot of complaints online. But as long as they don't have sight cant your good to go. That one from Atlantic is the best deal your gonna find by far.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:08 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 pm
JeeperCreeper said: Also, Century is supposed to be releasing their new "heavy duty" AK variants. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

From your lips to God's ears.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/10/centur ... -shipping/

Delray Beach, Fla. – -(AmmoLand.com)- Century Arms, North America’s premier AK manufacturer, is excited to announce their new heavy duty AK rifle, the VSKA (vis-kuh), is now shipping. Re-engineered with critical components using machined S7 tool steel, the VSKA is the result of a special development program for a United States government project that was finalized in 2017.

“It’s very exciting for us to finally see the VKSA start shipping to the commercial market,” said Jason Karvois, Century’s Director of Sales. “We have been working on this project for some time now and the conclusive feedback we received from the U.S. government was clear evidence that our efforts had paid off. Now it’s time for civilian consumers to reap the benefits of this project.”

The VSKA rifle features an all-new bolt carrier, front trunnion, and feed ramp machined from S7 tool steel and specially heat treated for maximum durability. S7, often referred to as a “Shock-Resisting Tool Steel,” is commonly used for tools like chisels and jackhammer tips as it has maximum shock resistance and high compression strength while retaining toughness.
Besides the WASR - CAI is known for crap. Don't buy into this new rifle until a year goes by at least. If ever. EVERYTHING they make themselves is garbage. The WASR is made in Romania. In their military arms factory. Using correct metals and machines. And for $699 will run forever and takes any standard AK furniture or upgrade parts. It's a standard AKM pattern rifle.

If you want good clear straight advice join AK-47 and AK-47 Group on facebook. But read their rules first. You'll get banned in a heartbeat for mentioning questionable AK's.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 pm

I had a Clearview AMD build and it was ok. Only issue I had with it was the trigger group pins wanted to back out a little, but not enough to the point where it'd cause issues. I think it may have been something with the shepard's hook retainer because when I switched to a Tapco retainer plate, the pins stayed put with only minimal play.

I ended up selling it to a local guy who was looking for an AK and I was looking to buy my first AR, so I sold it to him.

I kind of miss that gun, but I can always grab a WASR at some point if I want a classic looking AK. Well, that and customizing a WASR will be a lot easier since they use standard spec parts. Like the gas piston, handguard retainer and barrel. The AMD I had used the weird length Hungarian parts.

(ETA:Ok, so I read up on Clearview AKs and whoever builds them must've worked for I.O or Century at some point because there's quite a few bad reviews on them.)

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 pm
I had a Clearview AMD build and it was ok. Only issue I had with it was the trigger group pins wanted to back out a little, but not enough to the point where it'd cause issues. I think it may have been something with the shepard's hook retainer because when I switched to a Tapco retainer plate, the pins stayed put with only minimal play.

I ended up selling it to a local guy who was looking for an AK and I was looking to buy my first AR, so I sold it to him.

I kind of miss that gun, but I can always grab a WASR at some point if I want a classic looking AK. Well, that and customizing a WASR will be a lot easier since they use standard spec parts. Like the gas piston, handguard retainer and barrel. The AMD I had used the weird length Hungarian parts.

(ETA:Ok, so I read up on Clearview AKs and whoever builds them must've worked for I.O or Century at some point because there's quite a few bad reviews on them.)
You did good by selling it 12guage. There are so many bad ak's being made right now. It's terrible. The best way is to either build one yourself or have one built. We only charge $249 for a build with the barrel intact. Like those sold at ARms of America. Another $150 for park. I also like those large paddle mag releases and enhanced selectors from Poland you can get at AOA too.

But those builds they sell at Atlantic are a great deal! All you need is furniture (which your gonna want to customize anyway - and you can play around with different furniture because it's a standard akm too) and a few other small parts like the recoil spring and trigger group (which again you want to customize. ALG makes great triggers for AK's for like $59.) They had some with chrome lined barrel ones that I swear were way less than $400. Like $349 or something. And your not really even assembling anything. Your just putting the two screws in the buttstock. And the internals your gonna want to know how to take out and put back in anyway. And yes - buy a better axis pin retaining plate. The shepards hooks suck.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 pm

moab wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 pm
The best way is to either build one yourself or have one built.
What is a top-of-the-line AK build? Say...."got money - me wanty"?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:56 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 pm
moab wrote:
Krebs or Rifle Dynamics are two that spring to my mind.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:56 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
moab wrote:
Krebs or Rifle Dynamics are two that spring to my mind.
:shock: Wowsers!

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

MPMalloy wrote:
moab wrote:
Krebs and Rifle Dynamics are the highest end built or have built rifles. Thousands.

RD actually offers a class in AK building. And you walk out with a rifle. I think you go there with your kit and they teach you with their tools. I think it's 2k plus travel. Could be wrong about that cost.

Personally I'd spend the travel and class money on tools. And then your set up to build as many as you want. Or have two or three built my someone else for that cost.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:00 pm

And for those that don't know the difference between starting with a parts kit and building it or having it built. And a US made AK (made with us parts). A parts kit is a full auto (most of the time. There are Romanian G's that were semi auto but came from the same military factories.) military AK that has had the receiver cut up. And all the other parts are put into a bag and shipped stateside. You get every part made in a military factory. Except the receiver. Childers makes the best receivers in the $100 range. Then you use metal rivets to put the rifle back together. It's a simple process. Especially if you start with a parts kit that someone in the US has already put the barrel in. Like those I mention at Arms of America. Most of the rivets are easy to smash into place. Only the two long rivets take some skill. Or practice.

But before you get into it buy an ak build cd or book. It walks you thru every step. And you can figure out if your up to it. If you have a home garage with normal shop tools your halfway there. You need a HArbor Freight 12 or 20 ton press. 12 is about $100. And a set of build jigs. Ours are the most complete and we sell them at half price to support the build community. PM me if you want more info. They are $349 normally about double that from other vendors. Normal shop tools - drill press (less than $100 from HF), a good drill press vise, and then just normal stuff - hammers, pliers etc. etc.

But I always tell my customers to buy the cd or book first. Just to make sure they know what they are getting into and whether or not they can handle it.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Meh,.. Now I don't even want one. This is a lot to know and i really don't want to get into a $700 AK. Hate to hear that the PSA product is crappy. Those guys have always treated me well. I'll just stick with the AR platform. I know it and I'm already deep into it. I was getting dazzled by the thought of a 30 cal rifle, but I've bagged soooo many woodland creatures with 223 I really just can justify something else.

Thank you all for putting up with my moment of weakness.

I just have case of the the gun lust. Maybe an AR pistol will make me happy :P

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:40 pm

.30 Cal is nice. 7.62x39 is a real favorite of mine. And is a lot cheaper than 300BO. As I said before, I think the AK is worth getting into if one likes the looks, or wants to stack 30 Cal deep for cheap.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:40 pm
.30 Cal is nice. 7.62x39 is a real favorite of mine. And is a lot cheaper than 300BO. As I said before, I think the AK is worth getting into if one likes the looks, or wants to stack 30 Cal deep for cheap.
At this point it's definitely something you have to commit too. Or have a real need for. You can still build them for cheaper. And I think for a SHTF rifle an AK can't be beat. As it's very likely not to break. And dead on reliable. A WASR is a shtf rifle dream. It's never gonna misstep. And with RS regulate mounts and a good red dot your good to go. Or even irons. Out to 300 your solid.

But there's a lot to be said for the AR's repairability. And easy part swaps. Not as large a round and not quite as reliable. But ammo will always be plentiful longest. And they are so cheap you can stack them deep.

Who knows what the future holds. If we could get cheaper kits in for the AK the game could change overnight. Unfortunately with military subsidized factories overseas. Were not gonna see a better made "US" AK. But for now you might want to look at pistol builds in the AR platform. Even the Colt 6920 OEM2 is around $800. And that's near the top in quality.

I'm betting on both personally. And have started adding AR's to my arsenal of AK's. Just to cover my basis as a prepper.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:04 pm

moab wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 pm

You did good by selling it 12guage. There are so many bad ak's being made right now. It's terrible. The best way is to either build one yourself or have one built. We only charge $249 for a build with the barrel intact. Like those sold at ARms of America. Another $150 for park. I also like those large paddle mag releases and enhanced selectors from Poland you can get at AOA too.

But those builds they sell at Atlantic are a great deal! All you need is furniture (which your gonna want to customize anyway - and you can play around with different furniture because it's a standard akm too) and a few other small parts like the recoil spring and trigger group (which again you want to customize. ALG makes great triggers for AK's for like $59.) They had some with chrome lined barrel ones that I swear were way less than $400. Like $349 or something. And your not really even assembling anything. Your just putting the two screws in the buttstock. And the internals your gonna want to know how to take out and put back in anyway. And yes - buy a better axis pin retaining plate. The shepards hooks suck.
Yeah, I feel like I did good on selling it too, Moab.

I sold it for about 200 bucks over what I paid, which was enough to get me into the AR world and still had enough left to customize the AR a little.

At first I kind of regretted selling the AK, but as I read the negatives on it on various forums, the more and more I was ok with having sold it. At the time I bought it, I probably should've bought a WASR instead. They were still cheap enough at that point that I could've bought a pair of them.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”