Budget red dot quick release mount?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Budget red dot quick release mount?

Post by moab » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm looking for something like this that doesn't cost $100+. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/raz ... ease-lever But I also don't want something that's gonna fall apart. I want to be able to quickly ditch my optic if I want to go to irons. I don't want to co-witness necessarily. Meaning I don't mind if it co-witness but I would prefer it not. Folding irons btw. I'm using a Vortex Sparc II on a flat top AR with floating hg.

I've found some cheap Leapers/UTG. But not sure how good they are. I found a blem for 8 bucks. But seems like that's an airsoft budget item.

I also found this. https://www.opticsplanet.com/aimshot-qu ... apter.html I'd be comfortable at that price mark as the scope is only $100. I don't really want to spend the same amount on the scope as I do on the mount. EDIT - Read a couple bad reviews on that one. PArts broke. Damn I don't want to spend $100 on an adapter.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Budget red dot quick release mount?

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:15 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:36 pm
I don't want to co-witness necessarily. Meaning I don't mind if it co-witness but I would prefer it not.
So lemme get this straight.....You'd prefer the red dot not be on or near the same plane as the irons? Do you want the red dot to sit lower than the irons....that's a bold choice. Or do you want the dot so far above the irons, that you will have to use a chin weld instead of a cheek weld?

Various co-witnessing set-ups....
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:47 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:15 pm
moab wrote:
I don't want to co-witness necessarily. Meaning I don't mind if it co-witness but I would prefer it not.
So lemme get this straight.....You'd prefer the red dot not be on or near the same plane as the irons? Do you want the red dot to sit lower than the irons....that's a bold choice. Or do you want the dot so far above the irons, that you will have to use a chin weld instead of a cheek weld?

First of all thank you so much for taking the time to share all that with me. I really do appreciate it. I'm new at this and need advice.

I guess I don't mind if it co-witnesses. And probably won't matter as I'll run the irons folded while the optic is on. SO you probably won't see much of them in the scope. I just prefer to take the scope off if I want to run irons. Which I will pop up at that time - the irons that is. Unless these quick release mounts can't hold zero. Then no. I'll just go with co-witness and learn to like it. I've never shot co-witness. Just scopes and iron mostly. I like the idea of the scopes field of view being empty of everything except the dot.

I like the red dot site. And will probably run it - unless it fails. In which case I'd like to be able to remove it quickly. And switch to irons.

I know in a combat situation you'd be faster just using the co-witnessed iron sights thru the scope. If the scope failed. And if in the middle of a situation would do so. But if given the choice between a failed scope/co-witnessed irons and just open iron sights. I'd rather just go irons only. Does this make sense? Feel free to call out any errors in my thinking. I'm new to this. And just trying to put together the best bug out rifle in an AR that I can. On a budget mind you. But a fair one. I'd eventually like to mount this on a Colt 6920 OEM2.

I actually prefer irons. But I can see where fast target acquisition can be had a lot faster thru a red dot. Than irons. Just mostly playing devils advocate here if the red dot ever fails. And I have the time. I'd like to be able to just quickly remove the red dot. And have my full field of view open for shooting with irons.

But maybe I'm over thinking this. And need to just use a screw driver on my leatherman to remove the red dot(?).
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:00 pm

What about offset irons? It takes a little bit to get used to but I've grown to really like them. It's become that when I want to switch to irons to just tilt the gun to the side and pew pew. Hands never leave gun and there's no optic in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/Ade-Advanced-Opt ... B006X9DLQM
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:00 pm
What about offset irons? It takes a little bit to get used to but I've grown to really like them. It's become that when I want to switch to irons to just tilt the gun to the side and pew pew. Hands never leave gun and there's no optic in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/Ade-Advanced-Opt ... B006X9DLQM
Thank you Halfapint. I see the utility. Just not sure I want to relearn sight pictures and stance. Or whatever you'd call leaning your rifle sideways to shoot. Trying to keep it simple. Stick with stock irons. Either metal or MBUS. And a red dot I can ditch quickly. And it's not that I want to switch back and forth for speed sake. I just want to be able to ditch the red dot if it fails and I want to go back to straight irons.

I'm thinking I should look for other quick detach mounts at NAtchez, Carolina Supply, Brownells, Midway, Botach (Only cause they take my paypal funny money that I hide from the wife. SSsshhh. lol!) - anyplace else I missed?

Last question, I assume Leapers/UTG is junk? I think they make a scope mount for AK's. But it's pretty high quality metal that's machined. I mean I'd be satisfied with that $25 unit. If it didn't break. Maybe those two guys out of ten torqed it down to tight and it broke from to much pressure? It's aluminum. Or pot metal. Can you break Aluminum like that? Or is it obvious the stuff is pot metal cause it broke by hand? AK's don't use aluminum. So I'm dead in the water on this subject.

PS - We don't have these issues in the AK world. It's either Combloc metal that's been forged and/or machined by Igor. OR it's nothing. lol. And the few accessories are mostly magpul plastic. I guess there are some rails. But they're all so high quality and costly it's obvious they fit the bill. With AR it seems to be all over the place with some items. AR's have to many GD parts that can be fit. lol! I think that's why all US manufactured AK's always fail. Everyones to into manufacturing for AR's and think you can get away with cast or pot metal. ;)

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 pm
Last question, I assume Leapers/UTG is junk? I think they make a scope mount for AK's. But it's pretty high quality metal that's machined. I mean I'd be satisfied with that $25 unit. If it didn't break. Maybe those two guys out of ten torqed it down to tight and it broke from to much pressure? It's aluminum. Or pot metal. Can you break Aluminum like that? Or is it obvious the stuff is pot metal cause it broke by hand? AK's don't use aluminum. So I'm dead in the water on this subject.
Leaper/UTG makes a pretty wide range of stuff, so it's kinda hard to pin down. I don't think they make anything that's AAA-grade (this could be my own bias speaking, though, I dunno), but they do have some perfectly serviceable parts.

I wouldn't discount them, but rather research any given part individually. Seems like they've been trying to get out of the "cheap chinesium junk" rut.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:58 pm

moab wrote:
I'm looking for something like this that doesn't cost $100+. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/raz ... ease-lever But I also don't want something that's gonna fall apart. I want to be able to quickly ditch my optic if I want to go to irons. I don't want to co-witness necessarily. Meaning I don't mind if it co-witness but I would prefer it not. Folding irons btw. I'm using a Vortex Sparc II on a flat top AR with floating hg.

I've found some cheap Leapers/UTG. But not sure how good they are. I found a blem for 8 bucks. But seems like that's an airsoft budget item.

I also found this. https://www.opticsplanet.com/aimshot-qu ... apter.html I'd be comfortable at that price mark as the scope is only $100. I don't really want to spend the same amount on the scope as I do on the mount. EDIT - Read a couple bad reviews on that one. PArts broke. Damn I don't want to spend $100 on an adapter.
https://daggerdefense.com/?product=dagg ... dot-sights

This is the quick clamp version of what I put on my shotty. So far, I'm liking mine and it seems well made.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:00 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 pm
moab wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 pm
Leaper/UTG makes a pretty wide range of stuff, so it's kinda hard to pin down. I don't think they make anything that's AAA-grade (this could be my own bias speaking, though, I dunno), but they do have some perfectly serviceable parts.

I wouldn't discount them, but rather research any given part individually. Seems like they've been trying to get out of the "cheap chinesium junk" rut.
Their AK scope mounts are a case in point. I know a lot of guys that use them on their builds. But it's a very simple plate of steel. No moving parts. Appears to be good steel cut correctly.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:01 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:58 pm
moab wrote:

https://daggerdefense.com/?product=dagg ... dot-sights

This is the quick clamp version of what I put on my shotty. So far, I'm liking mine and it seems well made.
I've got a quick release like that on my Sightmark. Not sure it will work with a Vortex Sparc. But cool to get a mount and a sight for the same price. :) I'm leaning towards the Leapers stuff. I'll give it a try. It's a simple clamp. Hopefully it will hold up.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:03 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:15 pm
moab wrote:

What are the benefits or uses of the various co-witness set ups? (Just read up on them.) If I do a 1/3 low and then fold down my fixed sights - the fixed sights will disappear from my scope sight picture? Or even from an absolute set up will they be removed from my scope picture?

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”