Poor firearm logo design...

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Poor firearm logo design...

Post by moab » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Is it impossible to put a halfway cool looking logo on a lower? Or are AR manufacturers just blind to design?

I guess Colt is the only one I can think of that looks halfway cool. What happened to great logos and type fonts in the modern firearm world? It's either cheesy gamer looking stuff or like the ugliest ones that seem to say "I'm a subcontractor for Boeing.". PSA is so proud of there's they'll even sell you a lower with it scraped off. ;)

I have a thing for logos and type fonts. I was an Art Buyer at an international ad agency once upon a time. I especially like the old woodcut stuff. Which is probably why I still like Colt. But what happened to all the great design in firearm logos? To much machine shop and not enough fine craftsmanship imho. Both are talents - don't get me wrong. I just miss great logo design in firearms companies.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am

I was an art director for 10 years and yes its sad how many, "my kid designed our corp logo 20 years ago when she was 3", logos I ran across. So it didn't cost 'em anything up front. They cheaped out.

But aren't you posting something about a $400 AR these days?

Maybe its the pricepoint you're working in that makes it seem impossible. :mrgreen:

A $400 AR is a trunk gun who's logo no one will see, except maybe the guy breaking into your trunk, and upon seeing the logo decides not to steel the AR because its :oops: .

NO REGERTS!

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:56 am

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... r-receiver

I like this one and the angry patriot rollmark from SOLGW.
Other than them I like Colt, Noveske, Knights Armament and Spikes lower with no rollmark.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am
I was an art director for 10 years and yes its sad how many, "my kid designed our corp logo 20 years ago when she was 3", logos I ran across. So it didn't cost 'em anything up front. They cheaped out.

Maybe its the pricepoint you're working in that makes it seem impossible. :mrgreen:

A $400 AR is a trunk gun who's logo no one will see, except maybe the guy breaking into your trunk, and upon seeing the logo decides not to steel the AR because its :oops: .

NO REGERTS!
If you thought I was buying a POS why didn't you say anything? I depend on my fellow members here - my friends if you will - to look out for me if I'm buying something terrible. That's why I post it. To get feedback.

I did buy a $375 DPMS last year. That's worth about $650 now. I left it in the box. So I think I'm gonna sell it for $600 and get a Colt LE6920 OEM2 for another couple hundred. I didn't buy the DPMS because I thought it was the greatest AR in the world. I bought it cause it was a great deal.

I also just bought a PSA pistol. That I posted about a lot. But never got any negative feedback on it. I have on a few of the accessories people were posting around. But that's about it. I build AK's. I have for years. I'm not an AR guy. I was in the USMC and shot one a lot. But these are my first forays into AR land. If I'm buying shit please enlighten me. I post to avoid that.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JF89 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am

moab wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am
MacWa77ace wrote:

NO REGERTS!
If you thought I was buying a POS why didn't you say anything? I depend on my fellow members here - my friends if you will - to look out for me if I'm buying something terrible. That's why I post it. To get feedback.

I did buy a $375 DPMS last year. That's worth about $650 now. I left it in the box. So I think I'm gonna sell it for $600 and get a Colt LE6920 OEM2 for another couple hundred. I didn't buy the DPMS because I thought it was the greatest AR in the world. I bought it cause it was a great deal.

I also just bought a PSA pistol. That I posted about a lot. But never got any negative feedback on it. I have on a few of the accessories people were posting around. But that's about it. I build AK's. I have for years. I'm not an AR guy. I was in the USMC and shot one a lot. But these are my first forays into AR land. If I'm buying shit please enlighten me. I post to avoid that.
Whats the going price on A Colt 6920? Colt makes a mid length now too. SOLGW, Sionics and BCM make AR15s for a lot of police departments and are built around hard use and go for a decent price. Im getting ready to order a DS Arms nickle teflon coated BCG, I like that it has the carbon cutter/sand cuts on it and only goes for $130. Itll be going in my Colt 6920.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Since I dislike rollmarks (<cough>Ruger</cough>), I like my Shadow Ops lower: it's blank except for the various legally-required marks. (I lucked in and got a lower--specifically because I could get it unmarked--before the company had it's little meltdown.)

Ditto funky magwells, excepting a bit of exaggerated flaring and a checkered front side.

The main reason I kinda want to do an 80% lower is so I can have even less markings.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 am

Spikes plays with the lower somewhat.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZB0zTT17irE/maxresdefault.jpg
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm

I always preferred the unpretentious ones....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JF89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:48 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Are those really made out of plastic?

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm

lol. That's where I live.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 am
Spikes plays with the lower somewhat.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZB0zTT17irE/maxresdefault.jpg
Some of Spike's designs appeal to me, but then I think about how the prosecution would present them to a jury if I ever had to use it in a defensive shoot and I go look at something else.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:09 pm

JF89 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am
moab wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am
MacWa77ace wrote:

NO REGERTS!

Whats the going price on A Colt 6920? Colt makes a mid length now too. SOLGW, Sionics and BCM make AR15s for a lot of police departments and are built around hard use and go for a decent price. Im getting ready to order a DS Arms nickle teflon coated BCG, I like that it has the carbon cutter/sand cuts on it and only goes for $130. Itll be going in my Colt 6920.
You can get the 6920 oem2 for $723 plus shipping. https://www.mrgundealer.com/rifles/semi ... 20253-1047

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm

So...you're saying you don't like the two penises squeezing a tick in Spike's normal logo?

:rofl:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JF89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm

This is a pretty messed up lower. Its based on those two fat rednecks who killed another guy over a matress. SOLGW calls it their 'NFAGS' lower. I think its kind of dumb and probably the worst lower design ive seen next to spikes unicorn one.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... cial-lower

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:18 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm
So...you're saying you don't like the two penises squeezing a tick in Spike's normal logo?

I just spit water all over the place. Truly funny dude. Thanks.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:20 pm

JF89 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm
This is a pretty messed up lower. Its based on those two fat rednecks who killed another guy over a matress. SOLGW calls it their 'NFAGS' lower. I think its kind of dumb and probably the worst lower design ive seen next to spikes unicorn one.

I saw that one too. But for the life of me I couldn't convince myself that someone had actually done that to a lower. lol. I saw the video. And I saw the outline on the lower of the son and his now famous pose. But I just couldn't let myself believe someone had done that. Jeez Lou-eze!

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JF89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:25 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:20 pm
JF89 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm

I saw that one too. But for the life of me I couldn't convince myself that someone had actually done that to a lower. lol. I saw the video. And I saw the outline on the lower of the son and his now famous pose. But I just couldn't let myself believe someone had done that. Jeez Lou-eze!
I felt the same way. Not very professional for a company that has multiple LE contracts and prides themselves on it. Although I would laugh if I seen a cop with one of those, hopefully it would never get used though or a jury would eat that up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Beowolf wrote:

What exactly is the Spikes logo supposed to be ?

Aside from two tallywhackers squeezing a bug, I mean. :lol:

I wonder if the guys at Spikes knew their logo looked like that and just don't care or if they're really that oblivious and have no clue it looks odd.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 pm
Beowolf wrote:

I wonder if the guys at Spikes knew their logo looked like that and just don't care or if they're really that oblivious and have no clue it looks odd.
I think it's supposed to be a spider right? A black widow? It has those marks sort of on it's center torso.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JF89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:51 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 pm
Beowolf wrote:

I think it's supposed to be a spider right? A black widow? It has those marks sort of on it's center torso.
Yea its a di** spider

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:56 pm

I think it's supposed to be a spider, Moab, but I'm not sure.

The more I look at it (and giggle like an idiot because I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old :lol: ), it looks like the aforementioned two penises squeezing a tick instead of a spider.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
This is why I quit design work. That and folks that let you make some really nice work then have the worst/cheapest possible shops do the print work. Convinced me that you just can't help people no mater how hard you try. Makes me wish I had been a fine art major instead of graphic design.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Beowolf wrote:

I freaking lost it....... I have a Spikes lower, I no longer and see anything but two Johnsons going tip to tip on an antlion's head.....

ETA: Pic of antlion
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”