Poor firearm logo design...

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Poor firearm logo design...

Post by moab » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Is it impossible to put a halfway cool looking logo on a lower? Or are AR manufacturers just blind to design?

I guess Colt is the only one I can think of that looks halfway cool. What happened to great logos and type fonts in the modern firearm world? It's either cheesy gamer looking stuff or like the ugliest ones that seem to say "I'm a subcontractor for Boeing.". PSA is so proud of there's they'll even sell you a lower with it scraped off. ;)

I have a thing for logos and type fonts. I was an Art Buyer at an international ad agency once upon a time. I especially like the old woodcut stuff. Which is probably why I still like Colt. But what happened to all the great design in firearm logos? To much machine shop and not enough fine craftsmanship imho. Both are talents - don't get me wrong. I just miss great logo design in firearms companies.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am

I was an art director for 10 years and yes its sad how many, "my kid designed our corp logo 20 years ago when she was 3", logos I ran across. So it didn't cost 'em anything up front. They cheaped out.


But aren't you posting something about a $400 AR these days?


Maybe its the pricepoint you're working in that makes it seem impossible. :mrgreen:

A $400 AR is a trunk gun who's logo no one will see, except maybe the guy breaking into your trunk, and upon seeing the logo decides not to steel the AR because its :oops: .

NO REGERTS!
Image

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by JF89 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:56 am

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... r-receiver



I like this one and the angry patriot rollmark from SOLGW.
Other than them I like Colt, Noveske, Knights Armament and Spikes lower with no rollmark.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by moab » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am
I was an art director for 10 years and yes its sad how many, "my kid designed our corp logo 20 years ago when she was 3", logos I ran across. So it didn't cost 'em anything up front. They cheaped out.


But aren't you posting something about a $400 AR these days?


Maybe its the pricepoint you're working in that makes it seem impossible. :mrgreen:

A $400 AR is a trunk gun who's logo no one will see, except maybe the guy breaking into your trunk, and upon seeing the logo decides not to steel the AR because its :oops: .

NO REGERTS!
Image
If you thought I was buying a POS why didn't you say anything? I depend on my fellow members here - my friends if you will - to look out for me if I'm buying something terrible. That's why I post it. To get feedback.

I did buy a $375 DPMS last year. That's worth about $650 now. I left it in the box. So I think I'm gonna sell it for $600 and get a Colt LE6920 OEM2 for another couple hundred. I didn't buy the DPMS because I thought it was the greatest AR in the world. I bought it cause it was a great deal.

I also just bought a PSA pistol. That I posted about a lot. But never got any negative feedback on it. I have on a few of the accessories people were posting around. But that's about it. I build AK's. I have for years. I'm not an AR guy. I was in the USMC and shot one a lot. But these are my first forays into AR land. If I'm buying shit please enlighten me. I post to avoid that.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by JF89 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am

moab wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am
MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am
I was an art director for 10 years and yes its sad how many, "my kid designed our corp logo 20 years ago when she was 3", logos I ran across. So it didn't cost 'em anything up front. They cheaped out.


But aren't you posting something about a $400 AR these days?


Maybe its the pricepoint you're working in that makes it seem impossible. :mrgreen:

A $400 AR is a trunk gun who's logo no one will see, except maybe the guy breaking into your trunk, and upon seeing the logo decides not to steel the AR because its :oops: .

NO REGERTS!
Image
If you thought I was buying a POS why didn't you say anything? I depend on my fellow members here - my friends if you will - to look out for me if I'm buying something terrible. That's why I post it. To get feedback.

I did buy a $375 DPMS last year. That's worth about $650 now. I left it in the box. So I think I'm gonna sell it for $600 and get a Colt LE6920 OEM2 for another couple hundred. I didn't buy the DPMS because I thought it was the greatest AR in the world. I bought it cause it was a great deal.

I also just bought a PSA pistol. That I posted about a lot. But never got any negative feedback on it. I have on a few of the accessories people were posting around. But that's about it. I build AK's. I have for years. I'm not an AR guy. I was in the USMC and shot one a lot. But these are my first forays into AR land. If I'm buying shit please enlighten me. I post to avoid that.
Whats the going price on A Colt 6920? Colt makes a mid length now too. SOLGW, Sionics and BCM make AR15s for a lot of police departments and are built around hard use and go for a decent price. Im getting ready to order a DS Arms nickle teflon coated BCG, I like that it has the carbon cutter/sand cuts on it and only goes for $130. Itll be going in my Colt 6920.

boskone
* *
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Since I dislike rollmarks (<cough>Ruger</cough>), I like my Shadow Ops lower: it's blank except for the various legally-required marks. (I lucked in and got a lower--specifically because I could get it unmarked--before the company had it's little meltdown.)

Ditto funky magwells, excepting a bit of exaggerated flaring and a checkered front side.

The main reason I kinda want to do an 80% lower is so I can have even less markings.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12453
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 am

Spikes plays with the lower somewhat.

Image


Image


https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZB0zTT17irE/maxresdefault.jpg
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 8694
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by RickOShea » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm

I always preferred the unpretentious ones....



Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by JF89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:48 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm
I always preferred the unpretentious ones....



Image
Are those really made out of plastic?

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm
I always preferred the unpretentious ones....



Image
lol. That's where I live.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 am
Spikes plays with the lower somewhat.

Image


Image


https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZB0zTT17irE/maxresdefault.jpg
Some of Spike's designs appeal to me, but then I think about how the prosecution would present them to a jury if I ever had to use it in a defensive shoot and I go look at something else.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:09 pm

JF89 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am
moab wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am
MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am
I was an art director for 10 years and yes its sad how many, "my kid designed our corp logo 20 years ago when she was 3", logos I ran across. So it didn't cost 'em anything up front. They cheaped out.


But aren't you posting something about a $400 AR these days?


Maybe its the pricepoint you're working in that makes it seem impossible. :mrgreen:

A $400 AR is a trunk gun who's logo no one will see, except maybe the guy breaking into your trunk, and upon seeing the logo decides not to steel the AR because its :oops: .

NO REGERTS!
Image
If you thought I was buying a POS why didn't you say anything? I depend on my fellow members here - my friends if you will - to look out for me if I'm buying something terrible. That's why I post it. To get feedback.

I did buy a $375 DPMS last year. That's worth about $650 now. I left it in the box. So I think I'm gonna sell it for $600 and get a Colt LE6920 OEM2 for another couple hundred. I didn't buy the DPMS because I thought it was the greatest AR in the world. I bought it cause it was a great deal.

I also just bought a PSA pistol. That I posted about a lot. But never got any negative feedback on it. I have on a few of the accessories people were posting around. But that's about it. I build AK's. I have for years. I'm not an AR guy. I was in the USMC and shot one a lot. But these are my first forays into AR land. If I'm buying shit please enlighten me. I post to avoid that.
Whats the going price on A Colt 6920? Colt makes a mid length now too. SOLGW, Sionics and BCM make AR15s for a lot of police departments and are built around hard use and go for a decent price. Im getting ready to order a DS Arms nickle teflon coated BCG, I like that it has the carbon cutter/sand cuts on it and only goes for $130. Itll be going in my Colt 6920.
You can get the 6920 oem2 for $723 plus shipping. https://www.mrgundealer.com/rifles/semi ... 20253-1047
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2455
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by Beowolf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm

So...you're saying you don't like the two penises squeezing a tick in Spike's normal logo?

Image

:rofl:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by JF89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm

This is a pretty messed up lower. Its based on those two fat rednecks who killed another guy over a matress. SOLGW calls it their 'NFAGS' lower. I think its kind of dumb and probably the worst lower design ive seen next to spikes unicorn one.


https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... cial-lower

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:18 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm
So...you're saying you don't like the two penises squeezing a tick in Spike's normal logo?

Image

:rofl:
I just spit water all over the place. Truly funny dude. Thanks.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:20 pm

JF89 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm
This is a pretty messed up lower. Its based on those two fat rednecks who killed another guy over a matress. SOLGW calls it their 'NFAGS' lower. I think its kind of dumb and probably the worst lower design ive seen next to spikes unicorn one.


https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... cial-lower
I saw that one too. But for the life of me I couldn't convince myself that someone had actually done that to a lower. lol. I saw the video. And I saw the outline on the lower of the son and his now famous pose. But I just couldn't let myself believe someone had done that. Jeez Lou-eze!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by JF89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:25 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:20 pm
JF89 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:38 pm
This is a pretty messed up lower. Its based on those two fat rednecks who killed another guy over a matress. SOLGW calls it their 'NFAGS' lower. I think its kind of dumb and probably the worst lower design ive seen next to spikes unicorn one.


https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... cial-lower
I saw that one too. But for the life of me I couldn't convince myself that someone had actually done that to a lower. lol. I saw the video. And I saw the outline on the lower of the son and his now famous pose. But I just couldn't let myself believe someone had done that. Jeez Lou-eze!
I felt the same way. Not very professional for a company that has multiple LE contracts and prides themselves on it. Although I would laugh if I seen a cop with one of those, hopefully it would never get used though or a jury would eat that up.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6598
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm
So...you're saying you don't like the two penises squeezing a tick in Spike's normal logo?

Image

:rofl:
What exactly is the Spikes logo supposed to be ?

Aside from two tallywhackers squeezing a bug, I mean. :lol:

I wonder if the guys at Spikes knew their logo looked like that and just don't care or if they're really that oblivious and have no clue it looks odd.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by moab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 pm
Beowolf wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm
So...you're saying you don't like the two penises squeezing a tick in Spike's normal logo?

Image

:rofl:
What exactly is the Spikes logo supposed to be ?

Aside from two tallywhackers squeezing a bug, I mean. :lol:

I wonder if the guys at Spikes knew their logo looked like that and just don't care or if they're really that oblivious and have no clue it looks odd.
I think it's supposed to be a spider right? A black widow? It has those marks sort of on it's center torso.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by JF89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:51 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 pm
Beowolf wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm
So...you're saying you don't like the two penises squeezing a tick in Spike's normal logo?

Image

:rofl:
What exactly is the Spikes logo supposed to be ?

Aside from two tallywhackers squeezing a bug, I mean. :lol:

I wonder if the guys at Spikes knew their logo looked like that and just don't care or if they're really that oblivious and have no clue it looks odd.
I think it's supposed to be a spider right? A black widow? It has those marks sort of on it's center torso.
Yea its a di** spider

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6598
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:56 pm

I think it's supposed to be a spider, Moab, but I'm not sure.

The more I look at it (and giggle like an idiot because I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old :lol: ), it looks like the aforementioned two penises squeezing a tick instead of a spider.

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by brothaman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am
I was an art director for 10 years and yes its sad how many, "my kid designed our corp logo 20 years ago when she was 3", logos I ran across. So it didn't cost 'em anything up front. They cheaped out.
This is why I quit design work. That and folks that let you make some really nice work then have the worst/cheapest possible shops do the print work. Convinced me that you just can't help people no mater how hard you try. Makes me wish I had been a fine art major instead of graphic design.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3722
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Poor firearm logo design...

Post by Halfapint » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm
So...you're saying you don't like the two penises squeezing a tick in Spike's normal logo?

Image

:rofl:
I freaking lost it....... I have a Spikes lower, I no longer and see anything but two Johnsons going tip to tip on an antlion's head.....

ETA: Pic of antlion
Image
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”