Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Post by moab » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:44 pm

https://serbu.com/products/super-shorty-1

Reminds me of the above. They were also the first company to come out with a $1200 .50cal. Single shot. Sooo wish I would have bought one. It was just prior to the CA ban too.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:10 pm

So, anyone have any pro tips for removing the magazine tube on the 500? Other than strip it down to receiver & tube and heat it with a heat gun until it lets go? Because I've been doing just that for the last half hour with a heat gun capable of 1,200 degrees and that bitch ain't coming off. Even tried a pair of Channel locks (jaws cushioned with a leather welding glove) on the end the barrel screw screws into (so as not to dent or flatten the tube) while heating it for 15 minutes with the heat gun right on the receiver where the tube joins, moving to heat it evenly and no luck. I'm almost tempted to pop the thing in my oven on 450 for an hour but I suspect that would have a seriously bad effect on the spring in the tube.

ETA: Yeah, I searched YouTube and found a couple of videos explaining how to heat it (even one guy who did it over his stove) but most don't show the actual process, just talk about it.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Take it to a reputable gun shop?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:10 pm
Take it to a reputable gun shop?
Yeah, that's the next step I think.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to remove the magazine tube, NT2C?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:26 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:57 pm
The stock follower on these is plain sheet metal painted black. It's prone to rusting and binding in the tube, as well as being difficult to see in less than optimal lighting, which makes verifying the weapon is empty harder to do. So I want to replace it with a bright red aluminum one from NDZ Performance that's easier to see visually (and feel with your finger) and is less prone to binding. Additionally, mag tubes get full of crud over time and need cleaning periodically. Having the tube essentially "glued" into place with thread locker makes that difficult to impossible, and there's no reason for it. Once the barrel is in place it prevents any possibility of that mag tube unscrewing since it's mechanically bound to the barrel by the ratcheting barrel screw that threads into it.

ETA: I just reassembled the gun for the night. I went so far as to use my butane jeweler's torch that I do silverwork with (2,700 degree pinpoint flame) and tried using that to heat (mostly) just the magazine tube which is steel, not aluminum like the receiver, hoping there'd be enough localized heat transfer to melt the threadlock and not the aluminum. No dice. I do have other torches, propane, MAPP, Oxy Propane, Oxy Butane, etc. that I could try but I'm leery of melting the aluminum. Just using the heat gun was kinda iffy with aluminum (melting point of about 1,220 degrees) and the little butane torch was really pushing the limits so at this point I'll either keep the stock follower and try to keep it lubed and rust-free, or pay a gunsmith to free it up. I wonder what one would charge for that?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:59 pm

I never knew it was that big of a pain to swap out mag followers on a Mossberg shotgun.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:44 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:26 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:57 pm
The stock follower on these is plain sheet metal painted black. It's prone to rusting and binding in the tube, as well as being difficult to see in less than optimal lighting, which makes verifying the weapon is empty harder to do. So I want to replace it with a bright red aluminum one from NDZ Performance that's easier to see visually (and feel with your finger) and is less prone to binding. Additionally, mag tubes get full of crud over time and need cleaning periodically. Having the tube essentially "glued" into place with thread locker makes that difficult to impossible, and there's no reason for it. Once the barrel is in place it prevents any possibility of that mag tube unscrewing since it's mechanically bound to the barrel by the ratcheting barrel screw that threads into it.

ETA: I just reassembled the gun for the night. I went so far as to use my butane jeweler's torch that I do silverwork with (2,700 degree pinpoint flame) and tried using that to heat (mostly) just the magazine tube which is steel, not aluminum like the receiver, hoping there'd be enough localized heat transfer to melt the threadlock and not the aluminum. No dice. I do have other torches, propane, MAPP, Oxy Propane, Oxy Butane, etc. that I could try but I'm leery of melting the aluminum. Just using the heat gun was kinda iffy with aluminum (melting point of about 1,220 degrees) and the little butane torch was really pushing the limits so at this point I'll either keep the stock follower and try to keep it lubed and rust-free, or pay a gunsmith to free it up. I wonder what one would charge for that?
That is slightly terrifying. I have not tried to mess with my Maverick tube. I might never, if it is that involved.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:59 pm
I never knew it was that big of a pain to swap out mag followers on a Mossberg shotgun.
It didn't used to be, and it's different on the 590s. On my original, there was no threadlock compound. Mossberg didn't start putting that until about 10-12 years ago, near as I can tell. No clue why though. The mag tube cannot rotate and unscrew while the barrel is in place. It's physically impossible, so why secure it like this?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:23 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:59 pm
It didn't used to be, and it's different on the 590s. On my original, there was to threadlock compound. Mossberg didn't start putting that until about 10-12 years ago, near as I can tell. No clue why though. The mag tube cannot rotate and unscrew while the barrel is in place. It's physically impossible, so why secure it like this?
No clue, NT2C.

If it's that big of a pain to swap mag followers on the Mossberg shotguns, I think I'll stick with the 870. The stock follower just slides right out after you take off the mag tube cap (I'm not sure what the official name is. I just call it that) and remove the barrel.

I've got an mag extension on mine and I just take that off, remove the barrel and out slides the spring with the follower.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:37 pm

The CDM Gear BMT mount and Streamlight TLR-1 got canceled by the seller because they were out of stock and back ordered. I just reordered the CDM Gear BMT mount directly from them and ordered a Nightstick TWM-850XLS from the manufacturer to mount on it. Now I'm contemplating if I want to put an RDS on the gun, and which one if I do decide to. I'm considering trying one of the cheap Chinese ones, just to see if I like it or not, and then investing in a good quality one if I find it worthwhile.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:37 pm
I'm considering trying one of the cheap Chinese ones, just to see if I like it or not, and then investing in a good quality one if I find it worthwhile.
Could we define "cheap" and "good quality?"

A Sightmark 1x23 CSR might be a good place to start with a shotgun rated 4MOA red dot.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:07 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:37 pm
I'm considering trying one of the cheap Chinese ones, just to see if I like it or not, and then investing in a good quality one if I find it worthwhile.
Could we define "cheap" and "good quality?"

A Sightmark 1x23 CSR might be a good place to start with a shotgun rated 4MOA red dot.
Cheap: Pinty Red & Green Reflex Holographic Rifle Scope Dot Sight about $23

Good quality: Burris 300234 Fastfire III with Picatinny Mount about $200

I'm not saying I actually want either of those. They're just representative of the price/quality range

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:14 pm

RDS are king for HD and under 100 yards. How well do you see?

A cheap RDS that I like for shotguns is this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... autifyAB=0

It is a cheap copy of good Trijicon scope. I don't think the solar panel works but I never checked either.

Why do I like it?

- Comes with a locking mount that actually works
- Glass is clear and optic is huge, which means less hunting for the dot.
- The adjustments actually work and hold zero
- Does not burn up batteries like they are free
- Recoil does not kill it
- Clear round dot

Cons
- Is huge and heavy (1.1 lbs)
- Still not a quality optic but at close range... does not matter
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:14 pm
With my glasses, 20/20. Without...I'm legally blind with 20/400+ :ohdear:

Looking at what you linked to... good gawd that thing is butt ugly. :shock:

I kinda like that. 100% Chinese knock-off, guaranteed, but if it works... I'll keep it in mind but for now I'm thinking a reflex sight would be better.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:14 pm

A cheap RDS that I like for shotguns is this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... autifyAB=0

It is a cheap copy of good Trijicon scope. I don't think the solar panel works but I never checked either.

Why do I like it?

- Comes with a locking mount that actually works
- Glass is clear and optic is huge, which means less hunting for the dot.
- The adjustments actually work and hold zero
- Does not burn up batteries like they are free
- Recoil does not kill it
- Clear round dot

Cons
- Is huge and heavy (1.1 lbs)
- Still not a quality optic but at close range... does not matter
Where do you research to find these alternatives? Also sounds like someone tested it?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:08 pm

I have one I keep on an AR pistol. Inside 100 yards it works just fine. I will caution though that I bought it a couple of years ago and that Chinese makers tend to copy each other with less than perfect results. Still I have been quite pleased with it for $60.

With my glasses, 20/20. Without...I'm legally blind with 20/400+
That is a bit of a challlenge.
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:08 pm
With my glasses, 20/20. Without...I'm legally blind with 20/400+
That is a bit of a challlenge.
Yes, it has been all my life. It hasn't stopped me though. I'm still an avid shooter who does pretty well (and who could do a lot better with more practice), I've done some diving with a custom lens in my mask, and my glasses are actual glass lenses that are impact rated, so not all bad.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 am

Sigh, once again the order for the light and mount have been canceled on Amazon because they were back ordered with no expected ship date available. I'm beginning to wonder if this shotty has a curse on it or something. Okay, not really, but it seems trying to outfit this shotty is nothing but headaches.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:20 am

Any of you folks have any experience with these?

https://seeallopensight.com/collections ... open-sight

It seems intriguing but I'd like to hear from someone who has actual experience with one.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:23 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:20 am
Any of you folks have any experience with these?

https://seeallopensight.com/collections ... open-sight

It seems intriguing but I'd like to hear from someone who has actual experience with one.
There are a lot of videos and websites/reviews of the sight. I have no experience, I"ve just read/watched a lot on it. So there is a lot of info out there. If anyone here has direct experience, I'd also be interested.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Well, here it is in its current form.

There will likely be a few changes once I've done some shooting with it. The ammo sling is pretty iffy, to be honest, but receiver mounted and stock mounted holders got caught in my beard every time I shouldered it and were sent back to Amazon. I consider it a compromise that I can probably live with for now. The RDS came today and it feels nice. I'm going to need to check the aim with it and zero it but for a sub $50 sight it's acceptable so far.

The Night Stick TWM-850XLS is still freaking awesome and I just ordered another three sets of batteries for it because I've been keeping it on my desk for a couple of days while waiting for other parts and I played with it out in the yard quite a bit. :awesome:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm

What rail do you have that light on? And let us on how the light holds up. Thanks!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:13 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm
What rail do you have that light on? And let us on how the light holds up. Thanks!
That's on a CDM Gear BMT mount. The rail section is a 3 slot piece that's not quite mil-spec (slots are slightly narrower) but the light comes with four different cross rail insert sets, so no issues there. I got the light on Amazon even though I could have gotten it $20 cheaper elsewhere because elsewhere I'd have to have paid shipping and Amazon has an easier return policy if I changed my mind about it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”