Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:30 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm
NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm
The Mossberg 500 does come with swivels that work very well, so I plan to use those along with a quick adjust sling.
You're gonna want to mount the sling on the side at the front, and on the side or top of the stock at the back....

I'm not doubting you but, please explain why. With my previous shotty (identical gun) I found using the sling points already on the gun to be sufficient, the same with the shotguns we had in the Navy (Rem 870 variant). Now, admittedly it's been 20 years since the last time I had a shotgun but I'm not seeing any compelling reason for a side mount like that. Educate me here, please.

(Bearing in mind that I'm disabled and mostly walk with a cane. I'm not going to be doing much running or dashing anywhere. Outdoor threats will be dealt with from the vicinity of the house/yard and will probably consist of things like snakes and coyotes.)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:30 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm
NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm
The Mossberg 500 does come with swivels that work very well, so I plan to use those along with a quick adjust sling.
You're gonna want to mount the sling on the side at the front, and on the side or top of the stock at the back....

I'm not doubting you but, please explain why. With my previous shotty (identical gun) I found using the sling points already on the gun to be sufficient, the same with the shotguns we had in the Navy (Rem 870 variant). Now, admittedly it's been 20 years since the last time I had a shotgun but I'm not seeing any compelling reason for a side mount like that. Educate me here, please.

(Bearing in mind that I'm disabled and mostly walk with a cane. I'm not going to be doing much running or dashing anywhere. Outdoor threats will be dealt with from the vicinity of the house/yard and will probably consist of things like snakes and coyotes.)
Obviously I cannot speak for Rick. I can say for me, I like the idea of the forward sling swivel being further from the muzzle so I know it won't get caught up with it or get shot off on accident. I also feel having the slings mounted on the bottom of a gun causes the gun to roll/flip and leave the loading gate staring up at the sky when left hanging on a sling. Those mounts Rick references leave the loading gate pointing down towards the ground, leaving the gun in a more ready position when hanging from the body.

For me, my Maverick has a sling attached on the provided points. the sling cost maybe $5 and is a surplus M16 sling. I think the swivels cost more than the sling. I would like to mount things the way Rick has his, but for now I carry with a traditional sling & ready position. Which I cannot find examples of at the moment because I need to wake my kiddo and get going to work. But I think if you google "2 point sling ready" or "2 point sling rifle fast reaction" or something similar you can find the ready positions.

Again, I cannot speak for Rick. If he has more, I"m all ears. I just have my own experiences, and my current $$ limitations.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 am
Obviously I cannot speak for Rick. I can say for me, I like the idea of the forward sling swivel being further from the muzzle so I know it won't get caught up with it or get shot off on accident. I also feel having the slings mounted on the bottom of a gun causes the gun to roll/flip and leave the loading gate staring up at the sky when left hanging on a sling. Those mounts Rick references leave the loading gate pointing down towards the ground, leaving the gun in a more ready position when hanging from the body.

For me, my Maverick has a sling attached on the provided points. the sling cost maybe $5 and is a surplus M16 sling. I think the swivels cost more than the sling. I would like to mount things the way Rick has his, but for now I carry with a traditional sling & ready position. Which I cannot find examples of at the moment because I need to wake my kiddo and get going to work. But I think if you google "2 point sling ready" or "2 point sling rifle fast reaction" or something similar you can find the ready positions.

Again, I cannot speak for Rick. If he has more, I"m all ears. I just have my own experiences, and my current $$ limitations.
Okay, yeah, now I understand. Truth be told, I really don't see a need for a setup like that for my individual needs. For the average, fit & able person? Yes, no question that this is a good setup. For an overweight, 62-year-old, old fart with bad knees and hips who needs a cane and 10 minutes to get the mail from the end of his 50' driveway? Just not seeing it. Maybe a scabbard mount for the mobility scooter I may need in the near future, yeah, but a patrol style setup is vast overkill. Now, I do somewhat agree with you about relocating the sling attachment away from the muzzle. That was a big concern I had with my last shotty that was this one's twin. And you know what? It never became a problem. I carried it slung on my shoulder for many a hunting trip in upstate NY, left it hanging on a hook in the hall closet for a time, stored it in a custom cabinet in the bedroom when my kids were young enough that keeping it out of their reach was a concern, and never once did that sling ever get in front of the muzzle and become a problem. Could it happen? Sure, anything is possible and that is very close proximity. Mossberg even warns about it in the manual as being something you need to take care about, but in years of owning that gun, I never found it to be an issue.

I am still keeping an open mind though and I want to continue to get advice and opinions from you guys. You all give good advice and, just because I may reject a bit of advice doesn't mean I think it's bad advice, just that I don't think it's viable for me. :)
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello from a 63 yr old in the same condition. And I agree about the sling mount. I'll be popping zed heads from my bricked up front porch. No while patrolling the hood. Hurts just thinking about it.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm
Hello from a 63 yr old in the same condition. And I agree about the sling mount. I'll be popping zed heads from my bricked up front porch. No while patrolling the hood. Hurts just thinking about it.
Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:22 pm
Because it's one of the absolute best threads ZS has to offer:
The Defensive Shotgun: How We Make It Work
Thanks, man. I need to update that thing.

My recommendations, just 'cause; Esstac shotgun card or three, a light, and a sling. Sights are a matter of preference, but don't get too fancy. It's a freaking shotgun, not a rifle. 30-40 meters is what it's good for, defensively speaking.

The Esstac is nice because it doesn't require any pin/screw changes, it holds two more rounds than most everything else and two spares can be carried in an AR mag pouch.

Forget the folder and pistol grip. The shotgun has a full stock for a reason. Recoil, accuracy, and follow up shots are three of them.

Anyway, good luck with that, you're on your way to a good rifle, which is way better for defensive uses. :roll:
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:16 pm

doc66 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 pm
...you're on your way to a good rifle, which is way better for defensive uses. :roll:
Yeah, not in my current AO, unless I want to risk collateral damage with the neighbors.

However, a JRA M-14 is in the budget for when we move later this year or early next year and gain some decent breathing room in Idaho.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”