Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:41 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:13 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm
What rail do you have that light on? And let us on how the light holds up. Thanks!
That's on a CDM Gear BMT mount. The rail section is a 3 slot piece that's not quite mil-spec (slots are slightly narrower) but the light comes with four different cross rail insert sets, so no issues there. I got the light on Amazon even though I could have gotten it $20 cheaper elsewhere because elsewhere I'd have to have paid shipping and Amazon has an easier return policy if I changed my mind about it.
Thank you! I realize now you talked about the mount earlier.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:45 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:41 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:13 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm
What rail do you have that light on? And let us on how the light holds up. Thanks!
That's on a CDM Gear BMT mount. The rail section is a 3 slot piece that's not quite mil-spec (slots are slightly narrower) but the light comes with four different cross rail insert sets, so no issues there. I got the light on Amazon even though I could have gotten it $20 cheaper elsewhere because elsewhere I'd have to have paid shipping and Amazon has an easier return policy if I changed my mind about it.
Thank you! I realize now you talked about the mount earlier.
It seems like a nice, solid mount. Billet aluminum with good quality fasteners. The side the center screw goes in is even setup for a quick lock sling swivel.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:26 pm

Why not the TRS-25? Just curious. It has a fail safe reputation. But just never heard of that optic you chose.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:26 pm
Why not the TRS-25? Just curious. It has a fail safe reputation. But just never heard of that optic you chose.
Red and green dot plus multiple reticles made it seem a better choice. Also, less bulky and had excellent reviews. The few that had issues with it and contacted the manufacturer expressed complete satisfaction with how customer service handled the issue. Seemed worth trying for the money.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 pm
moab wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:26 pm
Red and green dot plus multiple reticles made it seem a better choice. Also, less bulky and had excellent reviews. The few that had issues with it and contacted the manufacturer expressed complete satisfaction with how customer service handled the issue. Seemed worth trying for the money.
I don't own a TRS-25 I guess they are a lot bigger than I imagined. I've read stellar reviews on them though. Especially for shotguns. I do have a Sightmark. But have not had the chance to run it. The red dot is ok. And I like the large view. But I've read they either work ok or they don't work. And you have to send them back.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:00 am

They sell the TRS25 at Walmart if you change your mind.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 am

NT2C wrote:

Red and green dot plus multiple reticles made it seem a better choice.
Something to consider; one of the reasons I like to recommend away from this feature specifically is that if you come to like a green dot, or a particular reticle, there are often very few quality versions of the same to upgrade to if/when you decide to switch to a higher quality optic. It is nice to be able to compare but if you can make yourself love the red dot reticle you will have an easier time transitioning later.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:00 am
Come to think of it, I did see one there a week or two ago. I even asked the lady to take it out of the case so I could read the back of the package. Once she did I saw that the package was opened and taped back together so I just handed it back to her.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:44 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 am
NT2C wrote:

Red and green dot plus multiple reticles made it seem a better choice.
Something to consider; one of the reasons I like to recommend away from this feature specifically is that if you come to like a green dot, or a particular reticle, there are often very few quality versions of the same to upgrade to if/when you decide to switch to a higher quality optic. It is nice to be able to compare but if you can make yourself love the red dot reticle you will have an easier time transitioning later.
I have a cheap scope on my 10/22 that has red/green reticle illumination and I find I use both. The green works better for me shooting at paper while the red works better for me shooting at pests in the soybeans.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:04 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am
Stercutus wrote:
Come to think of it, I did see one there a week or two ago. I even asked the lady to take it out of the case so I could read the back of the package. Once she did I saw that the package was opened and taped back together so I just handed it back to her.
Last year I bought a small wattage transformer at 2AM. They only had one in stock. The best only place to do that around here is Walmart. It did not work. It would overheat and shut off immediately so I returned it. The next morning I noticed they had another in stock. Yep, it was the same one. They had just put it right back on the shelf, despite being told it did not work. :|
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

moab

Post by moab » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:04 pm
NT2C wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am
Stercutus wrote:
Last year I bought a small wattage transformer at 2AM. They only had one in stock. The best only place to do that around here is Walmart. It did not work. It would overheat and shut off immediately so I returned it. The next morning I noticed they had another in stock. Yep, it was the same one. They had just put it right back on the shelf, despite being told it did not work. :|
Ya. There is no ownership left in stores. Not that you'd want to. But try and ask a salesperson a question? You'll be lucky to get an "I don't know.". Without even acknowledgement that they should know.

My mother still goes into stores expecting the salesperson to give her good advice. Oh it pisses me off. The good old days are about 50 years ago. When they made three of each item. Low budget. Mid budget and High budget. And the price and quality corresponded. Hard to teach that to old people - that those days are gone. My father used to walk in the store and ask for the most expensive version of whatever he was buying. Thinking that if he paid the most he'd be always getting the High Budget item with the corresponding price and high quality. Used to make me crazy. He paid two grand for a disc camcorder when they first came out. No offense intended. But it was a dead media before it started.

The only thing you can depend on in big box stores is that they have a company policy. Unfortunately only managers half know it.

And no one stays at the same job anymore. Good luck developing a reputation as a good customer someplace. No one will care. Maybe back in the day "Joe" the mechanic would give you a good deal cause you were such a loyal good customer. Not anymore. Everything is transient.

Stepping off my soapbox.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am

So, just an update on the Nightstick TWM-850XLS light I put on the shotty. I took it out to my buddy's soybean farm the other evening and we tested it out around 9PM on a clear night. Useful illumination range on the light seems to be well in excess of 300 yards, because that's how far the furthest treeline is from his barn and it lit up the trees well enough to see branches. The beam pattern seems very similar to the Streamlight TLR-1 in that it has a wide beam that lights up the immediate foreground and a distance beam. The night was starting to get pretty foggy at that point (we had dense fog all night after that) so I didn't get the chance to take any pictures but I'll try to get some next time.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Just got back from the local gun store with the shotty. I took it over to let them try getting that mag tube off. They did, but it took two of them and some inventive cussing (plus liberal applications of heat and torque) to get it out. Mossberg didn't use just a little red Loctite on the threads, they coated them so thick it looked dipped. The gunsmith couldn't believe how much they put on, saying he'd never seen anything like it on a gun before. It's loosened now though, the new follower is installed and everything is back together and working smoothly. With NO Loctite on the threads this time.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:35 pm

That is good news if you're shotgun was an exception rather than a rule. And from what the gun store guys said, it sounds like most don't have that much red loctite. :shock:
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Just woke up from a short nap after a day spent at my buddy's place putting holes in paper. The good news is, once I got the red dot dialed in the shotty turned into a tack driver with 2-3/4" 1 oz. rifled slugs at 25 yards, with 5 shot groups all going through a single hole easily covered by a business card. The bad news is that my $26.82 Meprolight (ML-34044) Mossberg Tru-Dot Night Sight for M500 5-40 Bead Sight sleeps... not with the fishes, but with the crickets, somewhere between his barn and the targets. I'm not sure when it went its separate way from the shotty, but I did use it for a few shots in an "if the red dot dies" kind of drill and it worked just fine, no problem seeing it down the channel in the rail the red dot is mounted on.one moonless night I'll have to go there and see if I find it.

The ammo holding sling kept shedding rounds and is now bare and a new sling being considered. 7 rounds in the magazine and a folding case with 25 more nearby will have to do to hold off the zed for now.

My shoulder is currently reminding me that I'm 62 years old and haven't fired a 12 gauge in about 2 decades, but 50 rounds of slugs went downrange, as did 20 or so 00 buckshot to see how it patterned (at about 15 yards I could keep all the pellets on a life-sized silhouette aiming center mass). The other big disappointment was with a box of Winchester Defender Elite slug/buck combo shells I picked up, more as a shits & giggles test than anything serious. After three attempts to get one to feed and chamber I finally had to manually insert it in the chamber and close the slide on it. When fired (aimed at the X center mass) the slug hit the target low and to the right, almost to the bottom of the target. The three 00 buck pellets hit in a triangle pattern, equally arranged around the slug hit, but at wildly varying distances (one was about 8" from the slug impact, another was almost 36"). This was after the shotgun had been shooting dead on point of aim all day, so I tried two more with equally dismal results. All the slugs shot low (~18") and right (~12") so I popped open a fresh box of just regular slugs and put all 5 in the X in a single ragged hole. Guess the gun just doesn't like them, which is fine by me given their price.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”