Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:30 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm
NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm
The Mossberg 500 does come with swivels that work very well, so I plan to use those along with a quick adjust sling.
You're gonna want to mount the sling on the side at the front, and on the side or top of the stock at the back....

I'm not doubting you but, please explain why. With my previous shotty (identical gun) I found using the sling points already on the gun to be sufficient, the same with the shotguns we had in the Navy (Rem 870 variant). Now, admittedly it's been 20 years since the last time I had a shotgun but I'm not seeing any compelling reason for a side mount like that. Educate me here, please.

(Bearing in mind that I'm disabled and mostly walk with a cane. I'm not going to be doing much running or dashing anywhere. Outdoor threats will be dealt with from the vicinity of the house/yard and will probably consist of things like snakes and coyotes.)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:30 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm
NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm
The Mossberg 500 does come with swivels that work very well, so I plan to use those along with a quick adjust sling.
You're gonna want to mount the sling on the side at the front, and on the side or top of the stock at the back....

I'm not doubting you but, please explain why. With my previous shotty (identical gun) I found using the sling points already on the gun to be sufficient, the same with the shotguns we had in the Navy (Rem 870 variant). Now, admittedly it's been 20 years since the last time I had a shotgun but I'm not seeing any compelling reason for a side mount like that. Educate me here, please.

(Bearing in mind that I'm disabled and mostly walk with a cane. I'm not going to be doing much running or dashing anywhere. Outdoor threats will be dealt with from the vicinity of the house/yard and will probably consist of things like snakes and coyotes.)
Obviously I cannot speak for Rick. I can say for me, I like the idea of the forward sling swivel being further from the muzzle so I know it won't get caught up with it or get shot off on accident. I also feel having the slings mounted on the bottom of a gun causes the gun to roll/flip and leave the loading gate staring up at the sky when left hanging on a sling. Those mounts Rick references leave the loading gate pointing down towards the ground, leaving the gun in a more ready position when hanging from the body.

For me, my Maverick has a sling attached on the provided points. the sling cost maybe $5 and is a surplus M16 sling. I think the swivels cost more than the sling. I would like to mount things the way Rick has his, but for now I carry with a traditional sling & ready position. Which I cannot find examples of at the moment because I need to wake my kiddo and get going to work. But I think if you google "2 point sling ready" or "2 point sling rifle fast reaction" or something similar you can find the ready positions.

Again, I cannot speak for Rick. If he has more, I"m all ears. I just have my own experiences, and my current $$ limitations.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 am
Obviously I cannot speak for Rick. I can say for me, I like the idea of the forward sling swivel being further from the muzzle so I know it won't get caught up with it or get shot off on accident. I also feel having the slings mounted on the bottom of a gun causes the gun to roll/flip and leave the loading gate staring up at the sky when left hanging on a sling. Those mounts Rick references leave the loading gate pointing down towards the ground, leaving the gun in a more ready position when hanging from the body.

For me, my Maverick has a sling attached on the provided points. the sling cost maybe $5 and is a surplus M16 sling. I think the swivels cost more than the sling. I would like to mount things the way Rick has his, but for now I carry with a traditional sling & ready position. Which I cannot find examples of at the moment because I need to wake my kiddo and get going to work. But I think if you google "2 point sling ready" or "2 point sling rifle fast reaction" or something similar you can find the ready positions.

Again, I cannot speak for Rick. If he has more, I"m all ears. I just have my own experiences, and my current $$ limitations.
Okay, yeah, now I understand. Truth be told, I really don't see a need for a setup like that for my individual needs. For the average, fit & able person? Yes, no question that this is a good setup. For an overweight, 62-year-old, old fart with bad knees and hips who needs a cane and 10 minutes to get the mail from the end of his 50' driveway? Just not seeing it. Maybe a scabbard mount for the mobility scooter I may need in the near future, yeah, but a patrol style setup is vast overkill. Now, I do somewhat agree with you about relocating the sling attachment away from the muzzle. That was a big concern I had with my last shotty that was this one's twin. And you know what? It never became a problem. I carried it slung on my shoulder for many a hunting trip in upstate NY, left it hanging on a hook in the hall closet for a time, stored it in a custom cabinet in the bedroom when my kids were young enough that keeping it out of their reach was a concern, and never once did that sling ever get in front of the muzzle and become a problem. Could it happen? Sure, anything is possible and that is very close proximity. Mossberg even warns about it in the manual as being something you need to take care about, but in years of owning that gun, I never found it to be an issue.

I am still keeping an open mind though and I want to continue to get advice and opinions from you guys. You all give good advice and, just because I may reject a bit of advice doesn't mean I think it's bad advice, just that I don't think it's viable for me. :)
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello from a 63 yr old in the same condition. And I agree about the sling mount. I'll be popping zed heads from my bricked up front porch. No while patrolling the hood. Hurts just thinking about it.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm
Hello from a 63 yr old in the same condition. And I agree about the sling mount. I'll be popping zed heads from my bricked up front porch. No while patrolling the hood. Hurts just thinking about it.
Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:22 pm
Because it's one of the absolute best threads ZS has to offer:
The Defensive Shotgun: How We Make It Work
Thanks, man. I need to update that thing.

My recommendations, just 'cause; Esstac shotgun card or three, a light, and a sling. Sights are a matter of preference, but don't get too fancy. It's a freaking shotgun, not a rifle. 30-40 meters is what it's good for, defensively speaking.

The Esstac is nice because it doesn't require any pin/screw changes, it holds two more rounds than most everything else and two spares can be carried in an AR mag pouch.

Forget the folder and pistol grip. The shotgun has a full stock for a reason. Recoil, accuracy, and follow up shots are three of them.

Anyway, good luck with that, you're on your way to a good rifle, which is way better for defensive uses. :roll:
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:16 pm

doc66 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 pm
...you're on your way to a good rifle, which is way better for defensive uses. :roll:
Yeah, not in my current AO, unless I want to risk collateral damage with the neighbors.

However, a JRA M-14 is in the budget for when we move later this year or early next year and gain some decent breathing room in Idaho.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 pm

What about the 590 Tactical? http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-7-shot-50778/ OR the 590A1? The 590 Tactical is 18.5 instead of 20. You lose a round. But I much prefer that shorter barrel. Better yet. The 590A1 basic model (Which was built for the MArine Corps IIRC.) is also 18.5 comes with a heavy walled barrel and park. If you add ghost rings to the 590A1 it's another $100 for a total of $444.

The 500 Tactical you want runs $348 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... B++8SH+SYN And the 590A1 runs $444 https://catalog.ngoabuyersclub.com/prod ... 507745-673

So for less than $100 ($96 actually) you get a heavy walled barrel, ghost rings and park. The weight is also the same. I think I'd go with the 590A1. Again, you lose a round though. Instead of 8 shots it's 7. But I'm much more interested in the shorter barrel, park finish, ghost rings (those have to cost to have installed), and the heavy walled barrel. All of which are worth well over $96. And there's no weight penalty.

I think the 590A1's were built with multiple deployments in mind for the military. Like a shotgun that's gonna last for a couple decades. And can suffer some abuse. Not that that's necessary in a home defense gun. But even the ghost rings and park finish make it worth it. I mean even if you put ghost rings on the 500 tactical it's gonna cost you more than a hundred bucks right? Then all you need is a sling and a flashlight mount.

Thanks for posting this NT2C. Made me take a serious look at their shotguns. And now I think I want one. lol. I was sold on SA shotguns for some time now. But just have never been able to afford a tactical model. The 590A1 sounds so robust. I might just bite the bullet and venture back into pump action anyway.

EDIT - Well my hypothesis has been shot to hell. I went to buy one. And the 590A1 I reference above is sold out everywhere. I guess you'll have to wait until they come back in stock. I ran thru 6 listing on gun.deals and all were sold out. I'll do some more digging. But this sucks. My apologies. If it does come back in stock or if I can find it someplace. I still thinks it's a way better deal than the 500 tactical. I haven't looked at the 590A! without ghost rings either. That may be an option.

Here's one for $534. That makes it $186. Still a better deal IMHO. If you added all the barrel, park and ghost ring sights to a 500 Tactical. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785592265 I'm going to put an email into Mossberg and see if they know when more of those 590A1's are shipping.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 pm
What about the 590 Tactical? http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-7-shot-50778/ OR the 590A1? The 590 Tactical is 18.5 instead of 20. You lose a round. But I much prefer that shorter barrel. Better yet. The 590A1 basic model (Which was built for the MArine Corps IIRC.) is also 18.5 comes with a heavy walled barrel and park. If you add ghost rings to the 590A1 it's another $100 for a total of $444.

The 500 Tactical you want runs $348 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... B++8SH+SYN And the 590A1 runs $444 https://catalog.ngoabuyersclub.com/prod ... 507745-673

So for less than $100 ($96 actually) you get a heavy walled barrel, ghost rings and park. The weight is also the same. I think I'd go with the 590A1. Again, you lose a round though. Instead of 8 shots it's 7. But I'm much more interested in the shorter barrel, park finish, ghost rings (those have to cost to have installed), and the heavy walled barrel. All of which are worth well over $96. And there's no weight penalty.

I think the 590A1's were built with multiple deployments in mind for the military. Like a shotgun that's gonna last for a couple decades. And can suffer some abuse. Not that that's necessary in a home defense gun. But even the ghost rings and park finish make it worth it. I mean even if you put ghost rings on the 500 tactical it's gonna cost you more than a hundred bucks right? Then all you need is a sling and a flashlight mount.

Thanks for posting this NT2C. Made me take a serious look at their shotguns. And now I think I want one. lol. I was sold on SA shotguns for some time now. But just have never been able to afford a tactical model. The 590A1 sounds so robust. I might just bite the bullet and venture back into pump action anyway.

EDIT - Well my hypothesis has been shot to hell. I went to buy one. And the 590A1 I reference above is sold out everywhere. I guess you'll have to wait until they come back in stock. I ran thru 6 listing on gun.deals and all were sold out. I'll do some more digging. But this sucks. My apologies. If it does come back in stock or if I can find it someplace. I still thinks it's a way better deal than the 500 tactical. I haven't looked at the 590A! without ghost rings either. That may be an option.

Here's one for $534. That makes it $186. Still a better deal IMHO. If you added all the barrel, park and ghost ring sights to a 500 Tactical. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785592265 I'm going to put an email into Mossberg and see if they know when more of those 590A1's are shipping.
Just to set you straight on cost, the 500 I purchased for $269.99, so about $80 cheaper than anywhere else I'd seen it. When we get down to barrel length I think I'd much rather have that extra round than 1.5" less barrel. On the subject of the M590A1, hell yeah I want one. I have for some time. It just does not fit into our budget at the moment. Maybe I'll get one in a year or so, I hope so, but maybe not. Right now I'll just be happy that I got the 500 for the price I did and spend a little bit of money now and then making it a little better. At the moment that includes a new magazine follower for better feeding reliability, a sling with loops for ten extra rounds (I'm not going on patrol with it and don't plan on hunting with it so this sling will suffice for my needs), a tritium front sight (may change it later but for now it's good), and possibly a really good quality light and mount, something like a CDM BMT and Streamlight TLR-1. Yeah, a pretty pricey mount/light combo, more than half the cost of the shotgun in fact but I feel being absolutely sure of your target when things go bump in the night is a good thing and worth the cost.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:35 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm
moab wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Just to set you straight on cost, the 500 I purchased for $269.99, so about $80 cheaper than anywhere else I'd seen it. When we get down to barrel length I think I'd much rather have that extra round than 1.5" less barrel. On the subject of the M590A1, hell yeah I want one. I have for some time. It just does not fit into our budget at the moment. Maybe I'll get one in a year or so, I hope so, but maybe not. Right now I'll just be happy that I got the 500 for the price I did and spend a little bit of money now and then making it a little better. At the moment that includes a new magazine follower for better feeding reliability, a sling with loops for ten extra rounds (I'm not going on patrol with it and don't plan on hunting with it so this sling will suffice for my needs), a tritium front sight (may change it later but for now it's good), and possibly a really good quality light and mount, something like a CDM BMT and Streamlight TLR-1. Yeah, a pretty pricey mount/light combo, more than half the cost of the shotgun in fact but I feel being absolutely sure of your target when things go bump in the night is a good thing and worth the cost.
Ah. That's a good price. I'd buy a 500 for $269 too. If nothing else for a backup. :)

All my arguments for the 590A1 and you can barely find one for sale. What's up with that? I contacted Mossberg. And they said I had to contact my local retailer so they could contact their sales rep. As far as when they'd be back in stock.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:53 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:35 pm

All my arguments for the 590A1 and you can barely find one for sale. What's up with that? I contacted Mossberg. And they said I had to contact my local retailer so they could contact their sales rep. As far as when they'd be back in stock.
The 590A1 is one of the hottest shottys on the market right now. There's waiting lists for them in some places.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:56 pm

As I'm thinking it through, I wonder if the ban states have created a bigger market for shotguns. Otherwise, l don't know why the 590 series would be any hotter now than, say, 5 years ago.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:10 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:56 pm
As I'm thinking it through, I wonder if the ban states have created a bigger market for shotguns. Otherwise, l don't know why the 590 series would be any hotter now than, say, 5 years ago.
We're heading into fall and the start of the hunting season, and while the 590A1 isn't a hunting gun this is the time of year for sales at the big shooting retailers. I'm thinking that guys who carefully saved up their spare cash over the summer so they could take advantage of seasonal sale prices may be part of the reason for the demand. Or, conversely, it not really being a hunting gun, retailers are putting their buying dollars towards inventory they can move fast for the season, so haven't restocked them. For that matter, it could also be a production thing, with Mossberg ramping back production on these to ramp up production of hunting weapons.

In short, damn if I know but I can think of a million possibilities :mrgreen: .

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 am

This video has been around for a while. But I'm posting this because people in the future will be considering the Mossberg 500 and different HD options. While one can train to be accomplished with pistol grip shotguns, there are just some interesting discussion in this video. And very interesting examples.

And I like In Range, so i wanted to share one of their vids.

https://www.full30.com/video/6afd3affee ... cb5cfc3604

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:27 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 am
This video has been around for a while. But I'm posting this because people in the future will be considering the Mossberg 500 and different HD options. While one can train to be accomplished with pistol grip shotguns, there are just some interesting discussion in this video. And very interesting examples.

And I like In Range, so i wanted to share one of their vids.

https://www.full30.com/video/6afd3affee ... cb5cfc3604
Good video. I didn't realize how worthless those little shotguns are.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:34 pm

I don't know that I would say "worthless" so much as "niche." From what I understand, the Shockwave handles differently than a PGO shotgun. But I buy the argument that the PGO is not worthless. It is simply an "experts weapon" with a smaller nich it fits well and needs more ammo expended in practice to achieve the same level of competence as a full stocked shotgun. Also, as I understand it, the USMS was/is using a Shockwave like shotgun. It must be effective enough for them to issue it and use it.

"Worthless" is perhaps a strong word. PGO is not what I would choose, unless one had a laser mounted on there and had space constraints for transportation or employment, and engagement distance was going to be short. Or one needed a secondary breacher gun.

Just my take aways.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:43 pm

It is a fun video, as are most videos that Ian and Karl do. I agree with their conclusions regarding the pistol grip but I would have liked to see a couple different stock choices, and I'd still like to find a decent folding stock for the Mossberg 500. Not for shooting with it folded, but for shorter storage requirements, making it easier to store in a backpack for example. A guest hanging up their coat in the hall closet might be startled to see a shotgun standing in the corner or up on the shelf, but not even think twice about a backpack hanging on a hook.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:34 pm
I don't know that I would say "worthless" so much as "niche." From what I understand, the Shockwave handles differently than a PGO shotgun. But I buy the argument that the PGO is not worthless. It is simply an "experts weapon" with a smaller nich it fits well and needs more ammo expended in practice to achieve the same level of competence as a full stocked shotgun. Also, as I understand it, the USMS was/is using a Shockwave like shotgun. It must be effective enough for them to issue it and use it.

"Worthless" is perhaps a strong word. PGO is not what I would choose, unless one had a laser mounted on there and had space constraints for transportation or employment, and engagement distance was going to be short. Or one needed a secondary breacher gun.

Just my take aways.
I think if the USMC has one it's for breaching doors. And it's probably the shortest barrel. Which is a perfect roll for that gun.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:31 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 pm
woodsghost wrote:

Just my take aways.
I think if the USMC has one it's for breaching doors. And it's probably the shortest barrel. Which is a perfect roll for that gun.
USMS = US Marshal Service.

Witness Protection.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/ ... ction-870/

Although I have had some bad typos lately :)

moab

Post by moab » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:42 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:31 pm
moab wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 pm
woodsghost wrote:

Just my take aways.
USMS = US Marshal Service.

Witness Protection.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/ ... ction-870/

Although I have had some bad typos lately :)
Ah. Shit. Sorry.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:05 pm

This guy carried something like Shockwave around before there was a Shockwave. He never had to reload. Just rack the slide and a new round popped in every time. Practically never missed. All the killing every week never seemed to wear on him. Ah, the 80s.

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Well, the 80s was when shotguns were real SHOTGUNS, not these wimpy, have to reload and use actual sights things they sell today. :crazy:

moab

Post by moab » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:05 pm
This guy carried something like Shockwave around before there was a Shockwave. He never had to reload. Just rack the slide and a new round popped in every time. Practically never missed. All the killing every week never seemed to wear on him. Ah, the 80s.

That was back when suits never wrinkled either. The good old days.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:29 pm

You didn't need sights! You didn't even have to aim. Just point in general direction of bad guy and rack it. Bad guy pees his pants and runs away. Unless he is on PCP. Even then you don't have to aim. Just pull the trigger and it will blow him back through the wall.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”