Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:24 am

Later on this week I'll be picking up my new Mossberg (model 50577) that will be the starting point for a new home defense gun. We currently live in a fairly rural area that is gradually becoming more urbanized, but we hope to be moving to a very rural part of northern Idaho in the next 6 months. A good shotty, IMHO, makes the ideal home defense gun due to its versatility. I had almost this exact same model (wood furniture instead of plastic) years ago and used it for both hunting and home defense, and I really liked the model. So when I saw this one on sale for almost $200 below MSRP I convinced the wife to loosen the purse strings a bit and get it. Now comes the customization. I want to gear that strictly towards home defense out in the boonies, where police response is measured in hours, not minutes.

My previous gun (which my ex still has) was purchased in the mid-80s and modified by adding a heat shield, having the barrel Pro-Ported and also having a Poly-Choke added to it. The Pro-Porting helped quite a bit in taming muzzle flip, especially if I put a pistol grip on it. The Poly-Choke worked okay, but was far from ideal.

This time around there are a lot more choices as to what I can do with it, and I think I need some help with that. Some of the things I'm considering are:
  • New stock, folding if possible, Magpul SGA Ambi stock set if not
  • NDZ hi-viz mag follower
  • XS Sight System Big Dot Tritium Express Front Sight
  • CDM Delta Wave Advanced Slide Safety
  • Some type of heat shield / rail system
  • Cerakote the barrel, mag tube, and receiver
  • good sling
You folks have any suggestions or directions you'd like to point me as I get this set up?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Re: Mossberg 500 based home defense setup

Post by emclean » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:00 am

why the folding stock?
sure it takes up a little less space to store it, but adds another action before your gun is ready for use.
also keep in mind that a pistol grip on a Mossberg means you have to move your hand to disengage the safety.

I would also recommend adding a light to it, so you can positively identify your targets.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:26 am

For use inside the house I prefer a pistol grip. For use outdoors I prefer a full stock. Indoors, if my wife is using it she has weak wrists so would need the full stock. A stock that folds would accommodate either.

A weapon light is definitely in the works; that's what the rail system would be for.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:33 am

A light, a XS Big Dot, a side saddle, and a sling are all I really feel are necessary. Other stuff is cool to have though, so I'm interested in what others say and I am glad for the review of your experiences with your prior shotgun.

I am cautious about folding stocks or pistol grips, but I know some have found them to be useful. My own experience has not been really positive.

If talking "wishes," a heat shield, red dot sight, and laser are on my list. And a suppressor.

If using a pistol grip configuration, I would be very excited about a laser aiming device.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am

All you really need is a light and a sling. Decel pad depends on preferences and ammo selection. If you want more ammo, get a carbine.

I picked up a Surefire X300Ultra the other day on Amazon for $160, I see they are back up to $224. It will light up your house like the sun, be utterly reliable and have plenty of throw for whatever range you will be shooting the shotgun at outdoors. Catching it on sale is better. How did you plan on attaching the light?

Since you and the wife will be using the same gun from time to time you will need a quick adjust sling. Style and type depend upon your preferences.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:24 am

emclean wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:00 am
why the folding stock?
sure it takes up a little less space to store it, but adds another action before your gun is ready for use.
also keep in mind that a pistol grip on a Mossberg means you have to move your hand to disengage the safety.

I would also recommend adding a light to it, so you can positively identify your targets.
+1

If he wants some sort of pistol grip stock, better to go with something like a Maverick or Remmy with a cross bolt safety.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:24 am
emclean wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:00 am
why the folding stock?

+1

If he wants some sort of pistol grip stock, better to go with something like a Maverick or Remmy with a cross bolt safety.
Not an option as the gun is already purchased and shipped.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:33 am
A light, a XS Big Dot, a side saddle, and a sling are all I really feel are necessary. Other stuff is cool to have though, so I'm interested in what others say and I am glad for the review of your experiences with your prior shotgun.

I am cautious about folding stocks or pistol grips, but I know some have found them to be useful. My own experience has not been really positive.

If talking "wishes," a heat shield, red dot sight, and laser are on my list. And a suppressor.

If using a pistol grip configuration, I would be very excited about a laser aiming device.
I've looked at the various "saddle" options for the gun, both with and without loops for extra rounds but haven't made up my mind yet if I want to try one. My main concern with them is that they all have at least one or two reviews complaining about knuckles getting rubbed raw by the extra edges added to the gun. I'd like one, more for the ability to add a top rail to the gun without having to get it drilled and tapped than for the extra rounds (if 8 rounds from a 12 gauge does not fix the problem then grab the full can of ammo and head for the safe room) but I'd prefer to hear from someone here with actual experience with one that I can ask questions of.

The folding stock is just an idea because of my previous experience with a pistol grip on this same gun (for all intents and purposes) and narrow hallways and small concealment areas. When I lived in Brooklyn and owned a service station this went to work with me every day and stayed attached to two big steel bar magnets under my steel desk in the office, right next to the cash register. At home, in my cramped third-floor walk-up apartment (right across the street from my station) not having that stock attached allowed me to move through the rooms with it easier. At the ranges it would have been used at accurate sighting wasn't needed, and frequent practice at the range on our property in upstate gave me confidence in my ability with it configured that way. However, I readily concede that having a shoulder stock on it greatly improves things, and I would need/want one if using it outdoors for animal threats around the property (in Idaho). So, the folding stock idea is more of an "it would be nice" than a "must have".

I have a slew of light options that can be mounted if I put rails on the gun, so the make/model of the light I might use varies a bit. Getting mounting points will be the fun part. I've looked at forends with them on the forward part but I'm not convinced that's a really viable location given how much a forend moves around, and I dislike the idea of the rails or light maybe getting in the way of my grip in a critical situation. This is going to be the area where I rely on the experience and opinions of my fellow ZS'rs the most.

A sling is 100% a must, and one that quick adjusts is doubly so. If I go with the Magpul stock and forend then their two-point quick adjust is going in the box as well.

The heat shield, at least the one I had on my last gun, helps mostly on range days when running drills. While I'm not really capable of that kind of room clearing movement anymore, at least not the way I used to be, I think it would still be useful to have, especially if I can find one that the light could mount to.

A red dot is a consideration, as is a ghost ring set. The laser is probably a no-go, at least until I hear experiences from those who have them and tried them.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am
All you really need is a light and a sling. Decel pad depends on preferences and ammo selection. If you want more ammo, get a carbine.

I picked up a Surefire X300Ultra the other day on Amazon for $160, I see they are back up to $224. It will light up your house like the sun, be utterly reliable and have plenty of throw for whatever range you will be shooting the shotgun at outdoors. Catching it on sale is better. How did you plan on attaching the light?

Since you and the wife will be using the same gun from time to time you will need a quick adjust sling. Style and type depend upon your preferences.
Adding an attachment point for the light is the biggest issue right now. There's a lot of options but I have experience with none of them (on a shotty) so I'm looking for experience-based opinions here. I'm also of a similar opinion regarding onboard spare ammo. If eight rounds from a shotty can't handle it then I've grabbed the wrong weapon off the rack and should fall back, grab the can of ammo and head to a safer part of the house. 99.9% of the threats I expect to face at the new place will be four-legged, not two-legged.

Ammo choices will probably be either 00 or slugs, probably the buck, with a box of slugs available near where the gun will live.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 pm

You can get an aftermarket forend the has rails on it for the 870, not sure about Mosberg. I got one made out of aluminum. It is lighter than the wood one and very strong.
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 pm

One option for on-board ammo is a soft shell holder with Velcro attachment on the receiver. Warning: if you go cheap, a few rounds of full recoil will throw them out of the side carrier. Spend the extra $4 to $15 and get quality. And you will not have knuckle issues. But I plan to get a hard shell carrier sooner or later. My cheap shotgun card does not instill confidence.

Another option is a stock mounted sleeve with 5 rnds. It gives an on board option of slugs or game loads for local pests. I just really believe in on-board ammo options.

Have you thought about running a shotgun with the stock under your armpit? Tommy gun ganster style? My memory is Col Fairbairn advocated this for close range, but I don't know how lawers and insurance companies would look at it. But this would allow you to choke up on the gun in tight quarters and allow the full stock to remain for your wife and for those days the critters get feisty.

Also, depending on your wife's size, a shorter stock might be helpful. I bought into the short stock idea for HD, and I'm still trying to figure out if I like it or not (a year later). Shooting skeet with a 12in LOP and 18 inch barrel is interesting. Doable, but interesting. The Magpul stock would allow you to try options with those spacers.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Don't go too crazy, you'll just end up with a boat anchor....

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:54 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:03 pm
Don't go too crazy, you'll just end up with a boat anchor....

Yeah, not going that far... but I do like that heat shield. It would give me a mounting point for an RDS if I want, or ghost ring sights (which I'm seriously considering), and still be able to side mount a good light. I wonder if there's one like it for the 500?

ETA: Yes, yes they do make one many for the 500. Choices, choices! :?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:00 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 pm
Have you thought about running a shotgun with the stock under your armpit? Tommy gun ganster style? My memory is Col Fairbairn advocated this for close range, but I don't know how lawers and insurance companies would look at it. But this would allow you to choke up on the gun in tight quarters and allow the full stock to remain for your wife and for those days the critters get feisty.

Also, depending on your wife's size, a shorter stock might be helpful. I bought into the short stock idea for HD, and I'm still trying to figure out if I like it or not (a year later). Shooting skeet with a 12in LOP and 18 inch barrel is interesting. Doable, but interesting. The Magpul stock would allow you to try options with those spacers.
My wife is not much smaller than me (I'm 6'2" 290, she's 5'10" and capable of hurting me bad if I say her weight) and we both have big, strong hands, though she has that wrist issue. Keeping a full-sized stock (probably the Magpul at some point) is probably the way we'll be going. And yes, I have experience with shotties held and fired that way. I also have experience shooting sporting clays with my old shotty, so I can appreciate your skeet shooting experience. :D

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:15 pm

take a look at the Knoxx SpecOps Stock, the adjustable stock lets you change the length of pull quick and easy. it reduces the felt recoil, not as mush as they clamed, but my shoulder feels a difference.
You will still have the issue with reaching the safety.

would you consider making the mossy dedicated for outdoors, and picking up a Mavric 88 for indoors. they are around $200, made by Mossberg, and have a cross bolt safety. that would also let you add a less powerful light for inside, and something that can reach out and light things up at more distance with out overpowering your own eyes inside.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:32 pm

The Knox is a nice looking package, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for pointing it out.

A second shotty may come at a later date, probably in 20 gauge for her, but not for at least 6 months to a year. Once we're out there and living in the house with, hopefully, room to do some shooting on our own property it will likely get discussed. We have one rule when it comes to spending money and that is that if it's over $100 we both have to agree to it. (And all purchases of firearms also require both of us to agree and train with it once it arrives)

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:34 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:02 pm
I've looked at the various "saddle" options for the gun, both with and without loops for extra rounds but haven't made up my mind yet if I want to try one. My main concern with them is that they all have at least one or two reviews complaining about knuckles getting rubbed raw by the extra edges added to the gun. I'd like one, more for the ability to add a top rail to the gun without having to get it drilled and tapped than for the extra rounds...
I just want to make sure you know the top receiver is already drilled and tapped for scope bases. It has filler screws in there.

For a light rail, look up these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/VERY100-Hunting- ... ESZW8TNART

^^^ This is needed for a 12 ga Mossberg/Maverick tube. Other options fit the barrel just fine. But I decided I wanted my light on the tube.

These were recommended to me by someone else here, and they have been very good to me. They are cheaper metal, so if you go hauling down on them with a big wrench while tightening them, you do risk breaking the screws. Ask me how I know.... ( I should have just loktited them, but it is awkward when putting it in a case to have the light hang off).

But roughly 500 rounds of 12ga and 200 rounds of 7.62x39 and it all still works wonderfully. After I replaced the one I torqued off.

If you want to know what light I am using, I can post up, but it sounds like you have that covered already?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:38 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:34 pm
NT2C wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:02 pm
I've looked at the various "saddle" options for the gun, both with and without loops for extra rounds but haven't made up my mind yet if I want to try one. My main concern with them is that they all have at least one or two reviews complaining about knuckles getting rubbed raw by the extra edges added to the gun. I'd like one, more for the ability to add a top rail to the gun without having to get it drilled and tapped than for the extra rounds...
I just want to make sure you know the top receiver is already drilled and tapped for scope bases. It has filler screws in there.

For a light rail, look up these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/VERY100-Hunting- ... ESZW8TNART

These were recommended to me by someone else here, and they have been very good to me. They are cheaper metal, so if you go hauling down on them with a big wrench while tightening them, you do risk breaking the screws. Ask me how I know....

But roughly 500 rounds of 12ga and 200 rounds of 7.62x39 and it all still works wonderfully. After I replaced the one I torqued off.

If you want to know what light I am using, I can post up, but it sounds like you have that covered already?
Ah, I'd wondered about that. My previous 500 was not drilled & tapped, but that was ... 30 years ago? Gawd... I doesn't seem like that long ago but I guess it is. Anyway, it wasn't, and I couldn't find any mention of it on their site either.

Edit: and I already have the offset one.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Because it's one of the absolute best threads ZS has to offer:
The Defensive Shotgun: How We Make It Work
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

echo83

Post by echo83 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 pm

If you're looking for an adjustable sling that requires no drilling/swivels/etc, I'd recommend this one:

https://www.americanslingcompany.com/pr ... gun-sling/

It's easy to attach/detach, and adjusts really easily.

I might also recommend an Esstac shotgun card. I've bought a few of these:

https://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-C ... ss.125.htm

You'll need to get your own loop tape to attach it, but if you get the right tape, it will hold perfectly. When you're done, slap on a new card and you're good to go. I've kept a few of them filled with shells as an experiment, and they retain elasticity really, really well.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm

The Mossberg 500 does come with swivels that work very well, so I plan to use those along with a quick adjust sling. Being that this is an 8 + 1 I'm not feeling a real need for a sidesaddle or stock mounted shell carrier. Extra ammo will be stored near where the shotty will be placed and I'll likely have a good idea of what kind of threat I might be facing as I pick it up. Unless it's a concerted assault on the house by an armed group (not impossible, just highly improbable) 8 rounds of double aught should handle it, but if I feel I need more I can grab a box full going out the door. An alternative to this might be a 25 round belt that can hang on a hook or be slug over a shoulder when needed.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am

Shot shell belts and bandoleers are a pretty awful solution for defensive purposes for a number of reasons. If you want more ammo and don't want to carry it on board a shell bag is actually a more reasonable choice. You can also use the shell bag to carry other things that might be useful as well, depending upon the type you get.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/31739 ... 3244644282
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:38 am

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am
Shot shell belts and bandoleers are a pretty awful solution for defensive purposes for a number of reasons. If you want more ammo and don't want to carry it on board a shell bag is actually a more reasonable choice. You can also use the shell bag to carry other things that might be useful as well, depending upon the type you get.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/31739 ... 3244644282
And I'm seriously looking at a few on different sites. I have one on my "range bag" (repurposed Army medic's bag a combat medic friend gave me that I keep most of my cleaning gear in) for emptying mags into when changing ammo types or servicing mags so I know how handy they can be but I'm looking at the fact that my typical "at home" attire is a pair of sweats, t-shirt, and cheap slippers, not anything to hang a pouch from in a hurry. While a belt or bandolier might be less than ideal if you're fully dressed and ready for battle I think it's a viable option in my circumstance. I may still change my mind though.

Edit: Well crap, I typed all that before I actually looked at what you'd linked to (because it wouldn't open in a new tab for some reason) and now I'm completely rethinking the belt.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm
The Mossberg 500 does come with swivels that work very well, so I plan to use those along with a quick adjust sling.
You're gonna want to mount the sling on the side at the front, and on the side or top of the stock at the back....

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”