If you could only have one...

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

delarey

If you could only have one...

Post by delarey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:44 am

This has been done before, specifically in regards to caliber.
I've been reading and doing research over the past week. I'm going to start collecting parts for a 12.5" AR pistol in 6.5G.
The ballistics are imreasive to say the least! Even out if a stubby barrel...
I'll report back once it's done and I've been able to stretch it's legs.
If it's as good as I've been reading, then the question is: can this be the one caliber/ rifle combo that can do everything I need?
With light solids and light loads for small game. Heavier SP loads for medium game/ defense. All the way out to 800+ yards....
Fun mental game in the middle of the night and nothing going on at work...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: If you could only have one...

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:56 am

I don't have to or like to consider just one; nevertheless, I think you are on the right path.
See 6.5g forum too...
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

delarey

Post by delarey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am

Will go check it out. I don't want to be limited either, but based on my experience living under very strict gun control where you were licensed for a specific serial number and caliber and often limited to one rifle, one shotgun, one pistol (depending on how much money you have and thus what license you can afford) I like to "game" it in my mind.
For instance, the Savage 24 I mentioned in the other thread...it was a nightmare getting my license for it, because it had 2 calibers for the same serial number. When purchasing ammo, your license number is recorded and you are only allowed to buy ammo in the calibers listed on your license card. The serial numbers follow barrels and receivers. So no barrel swapping.
I suspect that's the way it will shake down eventually...so 6.5G or 300blk imo.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 am

I'm strongly inclined towards 7.62x39 if that happens. 40 s&w or 10mm would be useful too, I think. 12/20/.410 would be options I would look at if I could only have 1.

In short, I would want to hunt deer, clear vermin, and defend the home. I'd like to also push out to 500+ y/m, but so far my actual need for that is limited (non-existent). I can reach out to 300 y/m with 7.62x39 or 300 BLK, but the x39 is cheaper.

Not nitpicking, just rolling the idea around in my head.

Edit:

.357 and 44 mag top my list as well. A lot can be done in America with both. A revolver/bolt action combo would be pretty handy.

I found out Ruger makes a bolt action in 7.62x39 that takes mini-30 mags. That would be a pretty handy weapon in a difficult place.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:28 am

woodsghost wrote:.357 and 44 mag top my list as well. A lot can be done in America with both. A revolver/bolt action combo would be pretty handy.
I wish IMI/IWI would bring back the Timberwolf .357 & .44 pump guns. I don't shoot mine very often, just cause I'm afraid that if something breaks, it's going to be awfully hard to replace/repair.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:00 pm

RickOShea wrote:
woodsghost wrote:.357 and 44 mag top my list as well. A lot can be done in America with both. A revolver/bolt action combo would be pretty handy.
I wish IMI/IWI would bring back the Timberwolf .357 & .44 pump guns. I don't shoot mine very often, just cause I'm afraid that if something breaks, it's going to be awfully hard to replace/repair.
Makes sense. I know my gun smith buddies both do a lot of making custom parts because stuff breaks and either is not made anymore or replacements are cost prohibitive. It is cool to listen to what they can do. The one friend makes a LOT of springs and screws. But you pay them about $75 an hour.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 pm

delarey wrote:T..... can this be the one caliber/ rifle combo that can do everything I need?
With light solids and light loads for small game. Heavier SP loads for medium game/ defense. All the way out to 800+ yards...
I don't know about the practicality of running 6.5G out to 800 yards from a 12.5" barrel, but I could see this as a very practical 200-300 yard gun. Hornday 123s should move 2200-2300 fps from that barrel. (<best guess) So, 2 inches high at 100 should get you 15-17 inch low at 300. This notion of lights load in this gun is seems impractical. Light loads will gain you little advantage in any scenario. You be best served with a single load from 120-129gr for a "do it all" load. For an off the shelf solution, Hornday's popular 123 SST would be good for small game and deer sized/two legged animals. Those SSTs would slip right through small game, loosing only a little bit of meat, and,..they'll expand and do just fine on bigger things, too. Just MHO.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 am

If I could only have one ammo availability would be the consideration that would outweigh ALL other considerations, the perfect gun is useless without ammo and the same goes for any variation of almost perfect 'compromises' that doesn't have ammo availability as the number 1 criteria.

Meaning 5.56x45/7.62x39/7.62x51 for rifle calibers with 30.30 and 30.06 as distant second choices and 9mm/.40/.45/.357/.44 for handgun calibers with .22 and whatever is the prevalent law-enforcement caliber in your AO if not among the already mentioned calibers.

That said, I do think the 6.5 Grendel is the Ideal cartridge...
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”