Any worthwile non-tacticool SKS upgrades?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Any worthwile non-tacticool SKS upgrades?

Post by roOism » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:54 pm

I went on a recent boating trip with my pappy, and as he was handing me his old SKS it tragically slipped through my fingers into the icy depths below, quite tragic.

So anyway, assuming I ever work up the courage to take the plunge and find my long lost rifle, I'd like to try to find some mods that make it a little more comfortable to shoot. I don't want to slap a tacticool black plastic stock on there, but the current wood stock does feel a little short. Was thinking maybe some sort of padded stock extender, and perhaps some improved sights, not a big fan of the ones on there currently.

That's basically all I'd really want to do to it. I know they make magazine conversions but this isn't my only rifle (that I've tragically lost), so I'm not trying to convert it into my main battle rifle, or put a ton of money into it. It's a cheap but reliable (eats cheap ammo for breakfast and has never had a FTF/FTE) gun that I'd like to make slightly more comfortable to shoot (if I ever find it, how tragic).

Anyone have an SKS they've done something similar to?
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

woodsghost

Re: Any worthwile non-tacticool SKS upgrades?

Post by woodsghost » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Ouch! I don't live near a big enough body of water to risk that, but if I"m not careful, I"m afraid something like that will happen to me.

If I had an SKS, and I do hope to some day, I'd consider Tech Sights.

http://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

I"d also consider buying a Tapco 20 round mag. Or a Chinese 20 round fixed mag, but they go north of $150 ... if you can find them.

Stripper clips would be a good investment. And ammo.

I'd consider a flash hider. Even on a non-tacticool gun. I just believe in flash hiders. I feel they cut down on some of the muzzle blast.

Maybe a scout scope mount and red dot. But as I understand, when you buy another rifle, you don't want to invest too much money in it. I just feel a red dot makes a 12 hours a day gun into a 16+ hours a day gun.

Just my thoughts. I'm really interested in what others say.

Oh, and they make these 1 inch rubber stock extenders so you can keep your original wood furniture.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:39 pm

The Choate conventional SKS stock has nice ergos.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71523 ... etic-black

Not mine, but a nice lookin' SKS with the Choate stock...
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Choate also makes a cool dragunov style stock as well...

OR...

SKS Timbersmith stock

OR...

Heat Shield

They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 pm

Tragically mine all met a similar fate while out in the Puget Sound last year, tragic loss.

I've only shot one SKS it was the same one Rick posted. It was nice.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 pm

If this guy is still doing business he's worth checking out. http://www.kivaari.com/index.html.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am

the tech sights or the MOJO sights would be a nice upgrade.
https://www.mojosights.com/sample-page/ak-sks

other than that, get some stripper clips, and maybe a buttstock pouch from strike hard gear (lets you carry 3 loaded striper clips on the stock)

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:40 pm

as others have said, synthetic stock, tech sights, and flash hider. If yours has all the grenade launcher nonsense, rip it off.

I tried the detachable magazines and thought they were awful, but I have yet to find a way I like to haul around stripper clips. The chicom chest rigs do work, but not the greatest.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:07 pm

I saw this done to a SKS stock on YT. Looks really nice
https://imgur.com/a/1fs4V

It's called Shou-Sugi-Ban
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:46 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:as others have said, synthetic stock, tech sights, and flash hider. If yours has all the grenade launcher nonsense, rip it off.

I tried the detachable magazines and thought they were awful, but I have yet to find a way I like to haul around stripper clips. The chicom chest rigs do work, but not the greatest.
Why not get a grenade launcher? Would a firework launcher fit? I feel like its there as a sign that he should get a grenade launcher ,better hurry though they added them to the next AWB.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 am

I have a friend with four SKS's. He lets me use them like they are my own. Two have TAPCO stocks, one has the Choate stock pictured and one has the original stock. I am pretty sure he bought them all like that at bargain prices. The best shooting one is the one with the original stock. The reason it shoots so well is because he bought a rear ghost ring sight:

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Sights-adju ... B01M8Q7VX8

Although I think he only paid $38 for it about ten years ago. There is also a replacement sight:

http://www.redstararms.com/index1.html?600.html&1

Although I cant vouch for that one it is likely worlds better than the original.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

mortblanc
Favorite Zombie Movies: All 3 of the Omega Man
Book of Eli
does Quest for Fire count?

Post by mortblanc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:59 am

Not to throw a wet blanket on the fire, but remember that any change to an SKS brings in almost an instant 922r compliance situation.

If you change the stock you have modified three 922r items and you will instantly have to change 3-4 more depending on your model.

the stock is three items and changing out the magazine is three items so replacing the trigger/sear can finish it out, or even replacing the gas piston rod. SKS has fewer relevant parts tan an AK.

It s not difficult or extremely expensive but should be taken into account.
The nice thing about being over the hill is you get to coast the rest of the way.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:38 pm

If you change the stock you have modified three 922r items and you will instantly have to change 3-4 more depending on your model.
Perhaps this is why my friend purchased them from the gun store in that configuration. While it is no guarantee, it does add a layer of plausibility. Most gun stores are careful about selling items in compliance.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:33 pm

mortblanc wrote:Not to throw a wet blanket on the fire, but remember that any change to an SKS brings in almost an instant 922r compliance situation.

the stock is three items and changing out the magazine is three items so replacing the trigger/sear can finish it out, or even replacing the gas piston rod. SKS has fewer relevant parts tan an AK.

It s not difficult or extremely expensive but should be taken into account.

I may be mistaken here but IIRC, 922r only kicks in if you modify an import gun into a non-sporting configuration.
Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
It should be OK to replace a standard stock with the Choate stock, but those pistol-grip Tapco stocks require compliance parts. I think the rule of thumb is that if it can be imported in the new configuration 922r doesn't kick in.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 pm

roOism wrote:I went on a recent boating trip with my pappy, and as he was handing me his old SKS it tragically slipped through my fingers into the icy depths below, quite tragic.

So anyway, assuming I ever work up the courage to take the plunge and find my long lost rifle, I'd like to try to find some mods that make it a little more comfortable to shoot. I don't want to slap a tacticool black plastic stock on there, but the current wood stock does feel a little short. Was thinking maybe some sort of padded stock extender, and perhaps some improved sights, not a big fan of the ones on there currently.

That's basically all I'd really want to do to it. I know they make magazine conversions but this isn't my only rifle (that I've tragically lost), so I'm not trying to convert it into my main battle rifle, or put a ton of money into it. It's a cheap but reliable (eats cheap ammo for breakfast and has never had a FTF/FTE) gun that I'd like to make slightly more comfortable to shoot (if I ever find it, how tragic).

Anyone have an SKS they've done something similar to?

several companies make a slip-on recoil pad that will get you about another inch of pull. there are also lace-on pads that have pouches or cartridge loops in them.

Mrselfdestruct

Post by Mrselfdestruct » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Chain and some rope, they make interesting anchors. :D
"In the absence of orders, go find something, and kill it." -Rommel

VTPATRIOT

Post by VTPATRIOT » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm

I put an archangel aasks stock on mine
it now looks more like an AK even though that was not the look I intended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMHUNfUOsSw&t=17s

youtube tool didnt seem to work?
“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”
― Edward Abbey

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:08 pm

VTPATRIOT wrote:

youtube tool didnt seem to work?

FTFY.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 pm

I've got a Russian w/scope/accessories/ammo that I would love to sell.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 am

MPMalloy wrote:I've got a Russian w/scope/accessories/ammo that I would love to sell.
The proper way to do that on ZS is to first put it up for sale on a site like Gunbroker or Armslist, then post that link in a thread in Bartertown.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4503&p=381145#p381145

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”