It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm
Posts: 17
I've always been the "shotgun guy" of my group, and pretty much thought I knew everything there is to know on the subject. Well, the internet has come to prove me wrong yet again. And this time (thankfully) it has nothing to do with two girls and a cup. Instead, it's adapters to let you shoot non-12 gauge ammunition through a 12 gauge. At first it sounded a little dubious to me. Shooting a 45 out of a shotgun is just obviously dumb if you ask me. It'd just tumble and be all sorts of inaccurate. But what about a 20 gauge shell? Might there be some advantage to being able to fire them? There barrel difference isn't that big, so pattern shouldn't be effected too much. I already bought a 410 adapter... mostly cuz it was 8 bucks on ebay. Haven't tried it out yet, though. It looks like a quality product. Just not sold on the usefulness of it. I don't really see myself living off of scavenged ammunition with just my boomstick to shoot it. Anyone else have any experience with these things? Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:33 pm
Posts: 504
McArther wrote:
I've always been the "shotgun guy" of my group, and pretty much thought I knew everything there is to know on the subject. Well, the internet has come to prove me wrong yet again. And this time (thankfully) it has nothing to do with two girls and a cup. Instead, it's adapters to let you shoot non-12 gauge ammunition through a 12 gauge. At first it sounded a little dubious to me. Shooting a 45 out of a shotgun is just obviously dumb if you ask me. It'd just tumble and be all sorts of inaccurate. But what about a 20 gauge shell? Might there be some advantage to being able to fire them? There barrel difference isn't that big, so pattern shouldn't be effected too much. I already bought a 410 adapter... mostly cuz it was 8 bucks on ebay. Haven't tried it out yet, though. It looks like a quality product. Just not sold on the usefulness of it. I don't really see myself living off of scavenged ammunition with just my boomstick to shoot it. Anyone else have any experience with these things? Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


IIRC, you can get those adapters in a longer configuration, which does give decent accuracy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 1510
Location: Western Slope, CO
shooting other sizes of shotgun shells is about the only thing those adaptors will do that isn't an abomination. I'll be curious to see how your pattern changes, keep us posted, but a smooth bore 2-3" barrel for various pistol calibers always sounds like bad math to me.
Of course whoever made those are laughing all the way to the bank, seems to be crack cocaine for preppers, can't go a week without someone advocating a single shot shotgun and a satchel full of adaptors on some forum somewhere as the ultimate SHTF/EOTWAWKI gun.

_________________
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm
Posts: 17
Mad Mike wrote:
IIRC, you can get those adapters in a longer configuration, which does give decent accuracy.


Yeah, I saw those too. Only problem is I have a pump action gun. The shorts are all I could use.

RonnyRonin wrote:
...a smooth bore 2-3" barrel for various pistol calibers always sounds like bad math to me...


After making my post I did see where one place makes 3" rifled .22 'zombie' adapters. I wonder how well those would work. That's about half the lengeth of my revolver. But still, I have seen some might short 'compact' pistols. Probably useless at longer ranges, but might be... well, slightly less useless at close to medium range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 11830
RonnyRonin wrote:
shooting other sizes of shotgun shells is about the only thing those adaptors will do that isn't an abomination. I'll be curious to see how your pattern changes, keep us posted, but a smooth bore 2-3" barrel for various pistol calibers always sounds like bad math to me.
Of course whoever made those are laughing all the way to the bank, seems to be crack cocaine for preppers, can't go a week without someone advocating a single shot shotgun and a satchel full of adaptors on some forum somewhere as the ultimate SHTF/EOTWAWKI gun.


Figure every time you put that thing in it will change POI. Hell it will likely change while you are shooting. ICR the last time I saw a single shot shotgun.

_________________
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
* *

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 116
They work. You drop 'em in, and shoot whatever they're for. Some are rifled, some aren't.

I've only ever shot one, a 20ga->9mm Luger like 5-6 inches that some guy had out at the local range. It worked; precision and accuracy was a bit better than any common pistol I've seen, but not a lot. I don't know about repeatability; he never removed it (at the range), and I didn't think to ask.

Depending on performance (repeatability, precision, and accuracy), I suppose they might be OK as a poor-man's combo bugout gun. Something like a Yildiz O/U with an insert in the upper barrel.

I'd like to play with one, but I'm not going to buy one just to fiddle with it; I'm not a broke-ass college student anymore, but I don't have enough to just drop $100 on something I'll use like twice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:39 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2479
With a 12 ga to .410, or any gauge to smaller gauge I'd be highly skeptical of an real success and velocity unless it was at least 8 inches long. A 12 ga is .72 caliber, if I remember right. A 20 ga is .62 caliber. That .10 of an inch is going to vent all gas in an instant and there will be no acceleration once the wad has left the barrel.

With pistol caliber adapters, I would be reluctant to trust any non-rifled versions. But hey, if people test the adapters and find them to work in actual defensive or hunting applications, I"ll keep my mouth shut. But until I find people actually using them to hunt I"m skeptical of those adapters.

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm
Posts: 17
I doubt that the 410s will have a very tight grouping but as cheap as it was, I just had to throw down the money. I also bought the 20 gauge adapter today. Doubt I'll touch any of the rest except maybe that rifled .22 if I can get it cheap. Next time I head to the range I'll try them out and report back. If nothing else, they'll be good for my daughter to learn on because of the reduced recoil.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:40 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2479
For $8 it is hard to go wrong. And I had not thought about teaching new shooters. That has some merit.

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:30 pm
Posts: 601
Location: Central New York
If you need something to toss in to safely fire another caliber...cant go wrong. Iff youre shooting a competitive match...no :D

_________________
Czechnology wrote:
Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm
Posts: 17
Update: I now have a 410 and 20 gauge adapter. Spent under 30 bucks for the pair. Buying the ones you want piecemeal seems to be the cheaper way to go. The sets are outrageous. I haven't made it back to the shooting range to try them out yet, but I did run them empty through my boomstick at HQ and discovered a few things. First, they do load into both the magazine tube and the chamber without any issue whatsoever. However, they do not cycle from tube to chamber well. I tried ten times for good measure and encountered issues five of those times. So, I do not recommend loading any into the mag tube. Just open the breach and side load the thing. It does eject like a normal shell. Out of ten tries I only had one issue and I think that might have been my own fault for pumping it too slowly. Will post more as soon as I make it down to the range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:58 pm 
Offline
*

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am
Posts: 37
Chiapa has marketing rights to an eight adaptor set for 12ga, 6 adaptor for 20ga. They are 8" long so work only in break open Shotties. The machining is beautiful, rifling sharp, and blued for protection. They have O rings to prevent them rotating rather than spinning the bullet. My friend and I each bought a set and a Stevens single shot 12ga for less than $400.00 shipped.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Posts: 2033
Location: Yo Momma's House
Zed Hunter wrote:
Chiapa has marketing rights to an eight adaptor set for 12ga, 6 adaptor for 20ga. They are 8" long so work only in break open Shotties. The machining is beautiful, rifling sharp, and blued for protection. They have O rings to prevent them rotating rather than spinning the bullet. My friend and I each bought a set and a Stevens single shot 12ga for less than $400.00 shipped.


I wonder if you could use it on a pump like a Mossy 500 and remove the barrel to install it.

_________________
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:
There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2479
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Zed Hunter wrote:
Chiapa has marketing rights to an eight adaptor set for 12ga, 6 adaptor for 20ga. They are 8" long so work only in break open Shotties. The machining is beautiful, rifling sharp, and blued for protection. They have O rings to prevent them rotating rather than spinning the bullet. My friend and I each bought a set and a Stevens single shot 12ga for less than $400.00 shipped.


I wonder if you could use it on a pump like a Mossy 500 and remove the barrel to install it.


Probably. I bet extracting the pistol (or whatever) rounds would be difficult though. I don't know.

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm
Posts: 17
woodsghost wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Zed Hunter wrote:
Chiapa has marketing rights to an eight adaptor set for 12ga, 6 adaptor for 20ga. They are 8" long so work only in break open Shotties. The machining is beautiful, rifling sharp, and blued for protection. They have O rings to prevent them rotating rather than spinning the bullet. My friend and I each bought a set and a Stevens single shot 12ga for less than $400.00 shipped.


I wonder if you could use it on a pump like a Mossy 500 and remove the barrel to install it.


Probably. I bet extracting the pistol (or whatever) rounds would be difficult though. I don't know.
I feel like the answer to that would be no, but would love for someone to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Posts: 1488
Location: NW Indiana
McArther wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Zed Hunter wrote:
Chiapa has marketing rights to an eight adaptor set for 12ga, 6 adaptor for 20ga. They are 8" long so work only in break open Shotties. The machining is beautiful, rifling sharp, and blued for protection. They have O rings to prevent them rotating rather than spinning the bullet. My friend and I each bought a set and a Stevens single shot 12ga for less than $400.00 shipped.


I wonder if you could use it on a pump like a Mossy 500 and remove the barrel to install it.


Probably. I bet extracting the pistol (or whatever) rounds would be difficult though. I don't know.
I feel like the answer to that would be no, but would love for someone to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would guess that the extractor would pull it out of the chamber.

_________________
ZS Wiki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm 
Offline
*

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am
Posts: 37
They have the rim machined off in one spot to be placed where the extractor is. A small blade or screwdriver could be used to remove the spent case with the action open.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:22 am
Posts: 21
Short lanes
Pathfinder Series (8" Rifled)

https://www.gunadapters.com/pathfinder- ... red&page=1

Chiappa Firearms X-Caliber
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIAPPA-FIREAR ... 1841079053


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shotgun adapters
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:30 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Posts: 947
Location: Trinity City, Texas
I’m curious how much the tone and decibels are altered for an adapter fired way down in a shotgun barrel.

Non-magnum ammo might be fairly quieted.

_________________
Boldly going nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group