Shotgun adapters

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

McArther

Shotgun adapters

Post by McArther » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm

I've always been the "shotgun guy" of my group, and pretty much thought I knew everything there is to know on the subject. Well, the internet has come to prove me wrong yet again. And this time (thankfully) it has nothing to do with two girls and a cup. Instead, it's adapters to let you shoot non-12 gauge ammunition through a 12 gauge. At first it sounded a little dubious to me. Shooting a 45 out of a shotgun is just obviously dumb if you ask me. It'd just tumble and be all sorts of inaccurate. But what about a 20 gauge shell? Might there be some advantage to being able to fire them? There barrel difference isn't that big, so pattern shouldn't be effected too much. I already bought a 410 adapter... mostly cuz it was 8 bucks on ebay. Haven't tried it out yet, though. It looks like a quality product. Just not sold on the usefulness of it. I don't really see myself living off of scavenged ammunition with just my boomstick to shoot it. Anyone else have any experience with these things? Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Re: Shotgun adapters

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:54 pm

McArther wrote:I've always been the "shotgun guy" of my group, and pretty much thought I knew everything there is to know on the subject. Well, the internet has come to prove me wrong yet again. And this time (thankfully) it has nothing to do with two girls and a cup. Instead, it's adapters to let you shoot non-12 gauge ammunition through a 12 gauge. At first it sounded a little dubious to me. Shooting a 45 out of a shotgun is just obviously dumb if you ask me. It'd just tumble and be all sorts of inaccurate. But what about a 20 gauge shell? Might there be some advantage to being able to fire them? There barrel difference isn't that big, so pattern shouldn't be effected too much. I already bought a 410 adapter... mostly cuz it was 8 bucks on ebay. Haven't tried it out yet, though. It looks like a quality product. Just not sold on the usefulness of it. I don't really see myself living off of scavenged ammunition with just my boomstick to shoot it. Anyone else have any experience with these things? Image

IIRC, you can get those adapters in a longer configuration, which does give decent accuracy.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 pm

shooting other sizes of shotgun shells is about the only thing those adaptors will do that isn't an abomination. I'll be curious to see how your pattern changes, keep us posted, but a smooth bore 2-3" barrel for various pistol calibers always sounds like bad math to me.
Of course whoever made those are laughing all the way to the bank, seems to be crack cocaine for preppers, can't go a week without someone advocating a single shot shotgun and a satchel full of adaptors on some forum somewhere as the ultimate SHTF/EOTWAWKI gun.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

McArther

Post by McArther » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Mad Mike wrote:IIRC, you can get those adapters in a longer configuration, which does give decent accuracy.
Yeah, I saw those too. Only problem is I have a pump action gun. The shorts are all I could use.
RonnyRonin wrote:...a smooth bore 2-3" barrel for various pistol calibers always sounds like bad math to me...
After making my post I did see where one place makes 3" rifled .22 'zombie' adapters. I wonder how well those would work. That's about half the lengeth of my revolver. But still, I have seen some might short 'compact' pistols. Probably useless at longer ranges, but might be... well, slightly less useless at close to medium range.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:shooting other sizes of shotgun shells is about the only thing those adaptors will do that isn't an abomination. I'll be curious to see how your pattern changes, keep us posted, but a smooth bore 2-3" barrel for various pistol calibers always sounds like bad math to me.
Of course whoever made those are laughing all the way to the bank, seems to be crack cocaine for preppers, can't go a week without someone advocating a single shot shotgun and a satchel full of adaptors on some forum somewhere as the ultimate SHTF/EOTWAWKI gun.
Figure every time you put that thing in it will change POI. Hell it will likely change while you are shooting. ICR the last time I saw a single shot shotgun.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:33 pm

They work. You drop 'em in, and shoot whatever they're for. Some are rifled, some aren't.

I've only ever shot one, a 20ga->9mm Luger like 5-6 inches that some guy had out at the local range. It worked; precision and accuracy was a bit better than any common pistol I've seen, but not a lot. I don't know about repeatability; he never removed it (at the range), and I didn't think to ask.

Depending on performance (repeatability, precision, and accuracy), I suppose they might be OK as a poor-man's combo bugout gun. Something like a Yildiz O/U with an insert in the upper barrel.

I'd like to play with one, but I'm not going to buy one just to fiddle with it; I'm not a broke-ass college student anymore, but I don't have enough to just drop $100 on something I'll use like twice.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:39 pm

With a 12 ga to .410, or any gauge to smaller gauge I'd be highly skeptical of an real success and velocity unless it was at least 8 inches long. A 12 ga is .72 caliber, if I remember right. A 20 ga is .62 caliber. That .10 of an inch is going to vent all gas in an instant and there will be no acceleration once the wad has left the barrel.

With pistol caliber adapters, I would be reluctant to trust any non-rifled versions. But hey, if people test the adapters and find them to work in actual defensive or hunting applications, I"ll keep my mouth shut. But until I find people actually using them to hunt I"m skeptical of those adapters.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

McArther

Post by McArther » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:36 am

I doubt that the 410s will have a very tight grouping but as cheap as it was, I just had to throw down the money. I also bought the 20 gauge adapter today. Doubt I'll touch any of the rest except maybe that rifled .22 if I can get it cheap. Next time I head to the range I'll try them out and report back. If nothing else, they'll be good for my daughter to learn on because of the reduced recoil.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:40 am

For $8 it is hard to go wrong. And I had not thought about teaching new shooters. That has some merit.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 am

If you need something to toss in to safely fire another caliber...cant go wrong. Iff youre shooting a competitive match...no :D
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

McArther

Post by McArther » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 am

Update: I now have a 410 and 20 gauge adapter. Spent under 30 bucks for the pair. Buying the ones you want piecemeal seems to be the cheaper way to go. The sets are outrageous. I haven't made it back to the shooting range to try them out yet, but I did run them empty through my boomstick at HQ and discovered a few things. First, they do load into both the magazine tube and the chamber without any issue whatsoever. However, they do not cycle from tube to chamber well. I tried ten times for good measure and encountered issues five of those times. So, I do not recommend loading any into the mag tube. Just open the breach and side load the thing. It does eject like a normal shell. Out of ten tries I only had one issue and I think that might have been my own fault for pumping it too slowly. Will post more as soon as I make it down to the range.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Chiapa has marketing rights to an eight adaptor set for 12ga, 6 adaptor for 20ga. They are 8" long so work only in break open Shotties. The machining is beautiful, rifling sharp, and blued for protection. They have O rings to prevent them rotating rather than spinning the bullet. My friend and I each bought a set and a Stevens single shot 12ga for less than $400.00 shipped.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:Chiapa has marketing rights to an eight adaptor set for 12ga, 6 adaptor for 20ga. They are 8" long so work only in break open Shotties. The machining is beautiful, rifling sharp, and blued for protection. They have O rings to prevent them rotating rather than spinning the bullet. My friend and I each bought a set and a Stevens single shot 12ga for less than $400.00 shipped.
I wonder if you could use it on a pump like a Mossy 500 and remove the barrel to install it.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Zed Hunter wrote:Chiapa has marketing rights to an eight adaptor set for 12ga, 6 adaptor for 20ga. They are 8" long so work only in break open Shotties. The machining is beautiful, rifling sharp, and blued for protection. They have O rings to prevent them rotating rather than spinning the bullet. My friend and I each bought a set and a Stevens single shot 12ga for less than $400.00 shipped.
I wonder if you could use it on a pump like a Mossy 500 and remove the barrel to install it.
Probably. I bet extracting the pistol (or whatever) rounds would be difficult though. I don't know.

McArther

Post by McArther » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm

woodsghost wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Probably. I bet extracting the pistol (or whatever) rounds would be difficult though. I don't know.
I feel like the answer to that would be no, but would love for someone to try it out.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 am

McArther wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I feel like the answer to that would be no, but would love for someone to try it out.

I would guess that the extractor would pull it out of the chamber.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm

They have the rim machined off in one spot to be placed where the extractor is. A small blade or screwdriver could be used to remove the spent case with the action open.

3cyl

Post by 3cyl » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:30 pm

I’m curious how much the tone and decibels are altered for an adapter fired way down in a shotgun barrel.

Non-magnum ammo might be fairly quieted.
Boldly going nowhere

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”