Anybody here into SPRs or Recce AR15s?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Anybody here into SPRs or Recce AR15s?

Post by JF89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:15 pm

I've never really got into long range shooting but i'm considering a Recce type build(have been for awhile actually). What kind kind of ballistics does match grade ammo have in comparison to the standard 55 or 62 grain stuff? I like have interchangeability of parts and mags and since I wanna add one more AR15 to my collection I figured I might go this route. Ive already got two "goto" ARs with red dots,WML etc etc.and a beater rifle for classes and or any other shooting I might try in the future(such as competitive shooting) but now I want to finish up my AR15 collection with something like a Recce or SPR then call it good.( just for ARs next I wanna buy some AKs so my ARs have something to fight with)

delarey

Re: Anybody here into SPRs or Recce AR15s?

Post by delarey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Ballistic wise...with decent ammo, you can reach out past 600 easy. I've seen folks get good hits at 800 meters in the past.
The options really open up if you aren't limited to fmj mil type rounds. I think fusion msr 62gr will expand down to 1500 fps?
Our of 18" barrel that's somewhere around 600 yards if I'm not mistaken.
I run Barnes 62gr tsx...Not sure how far that will get me, but I can't see shooting past 400 yards in my AO anyways. Working on my mini recce now...13.7" 5r rifled barrel. 1/8 twist. Wylde chamber. Pinned be meyers flash hider. Probably going with accupower for glass. I'll see how far I can take her [emoji16]
I don't own any ar's with barrels longer than 16". Yo u could probabl y just rebarrel one of your existing ar's and call it good, or build a new upper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:09 pm

delarey wrote:Ballistic wise...with decent ammo, you can reach out past 600 easy. I've seen folks get good hits at 800 meters in the past.
The options really open up if you aren't limited to fmj mil type rounds. I think fusion msr 62gr will expand down to 1500 fps?
Our of 18" barrel that's somewhere around 600 yards if I'm not mistaken.
I run Barnes 62gr tsx...Not sure how far that will get me, but I can't see shooting past 400 yards in my AO anyways. Working on my mini recce now...13.7" 5r rifled barrel. 1/8 twist. Wylde chamber. Pinned be meyers flash hider. Probably going with accupower for glass. I'll see how far I can take her [emoji16]
I don't own any ar's with barrels longer than 16". Yo u could probabl y just rebarrel one of your existing ar's and call it good, or build a new upper.

Are you running a SS barrel? I'm not wanting to have dozens of rifles again, I'm trying to get to where I just have 3 "hard use" AR15s and one beater for a majority of my shooting activities so this will be a complete rifle not just an upper. To tell you the truth I have enough spare parts to build another 3-4 rifles but thier part of my "stash"/ spares only bin. What kind of durability and lifespan can I expect out of SS barrels compared to non SS barrels? While i'm wanting mostly a precision set up I also want something I can run in three gun type shooting(if I decide to go that route again) without having to replace the barrel every 5k.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 pm

I went down that road of worrying Stainless Steel barrels and barrel life when I did my "marksman style" AR...

Basically, if you want SS, get it. It does get a smaller barrel life, but by the time you spend that much ammo to burn a barrel out, the cost of a new barrel will be negligible. I would say to get good accuracy from a SS barrel, expect 10,000 rounds from all the reports I've read. Guys running 15 pound non-AR15 benchrest rifles only that want .001 MOA or whatever will change a SS barrel out 4-5k from what I understand.

I've also heard great things from these newer nitride barrels coming out. Again, from what I hear that metal treatment does a good job with corrosion but also smoothing out the rifling for consistency. So if you want decent accuracy, I wouldn't be afraid of a nitride barrel too.

But... since I don't have a lab to prove any of this, so it's just what the consensus seems to be in my neck of the woods.

If it were me, I'd just go SS. I got mine from PSA, 16" with 1:7 twist. Honestly, I wish I would have gone with 1:9 to shoot lighter 55 gr ammo as mine prefers 62-75gr ammo which costs me more money since I'm balling on a budget.

Plus, having a black and silver rifle is sick in a world of tacti-cool FDE. I went with a Nickel-Boron BCG and a stainless scope just to keep in classy...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

delarey

Post by delarey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:29 pm

It's not SS. Melonite. Off a m&p 15. Showed outstanding accuracy, but I'm wanting it to be more of a recce style. So sending it to get chopped.
Might get a WOA down the road if the current barrel disappoints after the chop. The WOA will be as. Have had ss barrels before and I didn't see any wear on them...only time I've seen wear on a barrel was a buddy's AR. He reloaded and always loaded his precision rounds hot as hell...he called them precision, but I don't think he ever saw anything under 1.5...

delarey

Post by delarey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I went down that road of worrying Stainless Steel barrels and barrel life when I did my "marksman style" AR...

Basically, if you want SS, get it. It does get a smaller barrel life, but by the time you spend that much ammo to burn a barrel out, the cost of a new barrel will be negligible. I would say to get good accuracy from a SS barrel, expect 10,000 rounds from all the reports I've read. Guys running 15 pound non-AR15 benchrest rifles only that want .001 MOA or whatever will change a SS barrel out 4-5k from what I understand.

I've also heard great things from these newer nitride barrels coming out. Again, from what I hear that metal treatment does a good job with corrosion but also smoothing out the rifling for consistency. So if you want decent accuracy, I wouldn't be afraid of a nitride barrel too.

But... since I don't have a lab to prove any of this, so it's just what the consensus seems to be in my neck of the woods.

If it were me, I'd just go SS. I got mine from PSA, 16" with 1:7 twist. Honestly, I wish I would have gone with 1:9 to shoot lighter 55 gr ammo as mine prefers 62-75gr ammo which costs me more money since I'm balling on a budget.

Plus, having a black and silver rifle is sick in a world of tacti-cool FDE. I went with a Nickel-Boron BCG and a stainless scope just to keep in classy...
I'm getting the point where I don't care about the longevity of SS barrels either. I figure I drop $300 on a barrel...by the time I hit 10k rounds, I'm ready for something new anyways. Consider the 1/8 barrels...gives you a load more flexibility. I've had great luck with M193 out of a 1/8.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”