It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:47 pm 

I just saw on the facepage that like 100k Garand's are coming back from over seas..... Where might one be able to find these? I also remember seeing that a bunch of military 1911's were coming back as well. I'm not a fan of 1911's but I would love to own with a "Property of US Government" stamped on it.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Halfapint wrote:
I just saw on the facepage that like 100k Garand's are coming back from over seas..... Where might one be able to find these? I also remember seeing that a bunch of military 1911's were coming back as well. I'm not a fan of 1911's but I would love to own with a "Property of US Government" stamped on it.

CMP. The 1911s are gonna be interesting, it's gonna shake up the collectors market. I'm guessing the if the garlands make it back to our shores, they'll be in rough shape due to poor tropical storage.

If you don't qualify to get a CMP firearm, you can always pay quadruple for one by a grumpy old man at a gunshow that claims it was used on "ee-wah jee-muh". You might be able to also buy a dragon knife and natzi-killin' mosin for $750 cuz it's a collecturrrrs item.

I'm not bitter.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:19 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

From what I know of the CMP, they go over the Garands and weed out the poor condition ones and just part those out. I think it was either on "Gun Stories" or "American Rifleman TV" where they showed a behind the scenes look at the CMP and their Garands.

I seem to recall one of their armorers rebuilding a Garand in poor condition and getting it back in shooting shape. Dude replaced all the bad parts with ones that were in functional shape and he made the rifle safe to fire once again.

I'd love to get one, but my gun budget isn't quite high enough to swing a grand or more for a Garand in functional shape. That and I'm not a member of the CMP or a shooting club on their list of approved groups.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Halfapint wrote:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

RickOShea wrote:
Surplus wise, The CMP is supposed to be getting around 100,000 Garands back from Turkey and the Philippines here pretty soon.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:23 am 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
From what I know of the CMP, they go over the Garands and weed out the poor condition ones and just part those out. I think it was either on "Gun Stories" or "American Rifleman TV" where they showed a behind the scenes look at the CMP and their Garands.

I seem to recall one of their armorers rebuilding a Garand in poor condition and getting it back in shooting shape. Dude replaced all the bad parts with ones that were in functional shape and he made the rifle safe to fire once again.

I'd love to get one, but my gun budget isn't quite high enough to swing a grand or more for a Garand in functional shape. That and I'm not a member of the CMP or a shooting club on their list of approved groups.

You must have me on ignore again.

I believe joining the CMP club ran the princely sum of $35 last I checked. That and I posted the actual price of a functioning gun which was $630. If $665 for a Hi-Powered semi-automatic Milsurp rifle is too much then I am thinking no price will make the good people in this thread happy. Every gun CMP sells is in good order. Maybe not in the secondary market but out the door in Anniston it is in good running order.

I bought one 12 years ago when they were $485. Adjusting for inflation the guns went up $10.

My only complaint about is that Cheaper Than Nobody bought out their entire supply of milsurp ammo and then they doubled the price on it. Then like some weird Giffen Good they sold out their entire stock in a few months (Ok the Obama election lemming panic likely caused that). Some of the people that bought out the stock then doubled the price on it again. Before cornering the market surplus ammo was about $.20 a shot, it almost a buck. But all ammo is way up over 2006 prices when a 550 round brick of .22 was $9.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:08 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Nope. I don't have anyone on "ignore", Stercutus.

I may have skipped over a lot of info in this thread before posting, though.

I'll have to take another look at the CMP because I am interested in getting a Garand and if they are really only $665, I may pick one up as soon as I'm able to.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:08 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I'll have to take another look at the CMP because I am interested in getting a Garand and if they are really only $665, I may pick one up as soon as I'm able to.

Actually the lowest price is field grade which is $630.00 with free shipping.
Quote:
M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available field grade rifle. See above for Field Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.

Spend $100 more and get a "service grade" for $730.00

Scroll down the page.
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:54 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

raptor wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Quote:
M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available field grade rifle. See above for Field Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.

Scroll down the page.

What's the difference between 'field grade' and 'service grade' ?

I'm guessing that 'field grade' means "this rifle was beat to hell, abused beyond what is normal and probably used as a paddle on a river at some point" and it's probably not the best Garand to get unless one likes to tinker with them.

Either way, it'll be awhile before I can even think of purchasing one. I've got a lot of other things that need my money instead of a WW2 era rifle that probably would never get taken to the range.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Either way, it'll be awhile before I can even think of purchasing one. I've got a lot of other things that need my money instead of a WW2 era rifle that probably would never get taken to the range.

Yeah, especially since you've already got that situation covered with a mosin. :clownshoes:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Yeah, especially since you've already got that situation covered with a mosin. :clownshoes:

Very good point there, Rick. :lol:

And that one only cost me 100 bucks and not close to 800 like a good Garand would if I ordered one.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:15 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
raptor wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Quote:

Scroll down the page.

What's the difference between 'field grade' and 'service grade' ?

I'm guessing that 'field grade' means "this rifle was beat to hell, abused beyond what is normal and probably used as a paddle on a river at some point" and it's probably not the best Garand to get unless one likes to tinker with them.

Field Grade M1 Garand
FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; may have pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.
Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. May have pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production but may be used and show signs of wear on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.
Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers

You should sell that Mosin to Rick. Since sounds like he needs to brush up on his firearm cleaning/ basic rifle skills. :rofl: You know for bragging rights to be only one in his local league to finish the course. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:01 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

flybynight wrote:
You should sell that Mosin to Rick. Since sounds like he needs to brush up on his firearm cleaning/ basic rifle skills. :rofl: You know for bragging rights to be only one in his local league to finish the course. :shock:

Did they issue Dremel tools and metal files to those peasants, so they could get those POS mosins to work proper? :clownshoes:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 pm 

No they probably just instructed their soldiers to manually cock it before working the bolt ( on the sticky ones) and work the action til it smooth's out . You know, like breaking in your AR with a few hundred rounds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

flybynight wrote:
No they probably just instructed their soldiers to manually cock it before working the bolt ( on the sticky ones) and work the action til it smooth's out . You know, like breaking in your AR with a few hundred rounds.

I guess all those surplus mosins that still aren't smoothed-out must be in "never-been-fired, only-dropped-once" condition....Damn, Germans. And damn the Sovs for issuing a bolt-action rifle that you had to manually cock before working the bolt. :clownshoes:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:53 pm 

RickOShea wrote:
flybynight wrote:

I guess all those surplus mosins that still aren't smoothed-out must be in "never-been-fired, only-dropped-once" condition....Damn, Germans.

37 million made. More than double any other rifle made for ww2 for any army. Ya gotta wonder just how many actually dropped a firing pin on a live round. And if so was it more than five or ten rounds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 pm 

flybynight wrote:

Or just maybe when they were re-arsenaled no care was used upon being assembled? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 pm 

I understand the appeal of a Garand and would like to shoot one some day but I wouldn't be interested in buying one. The Mosin is an odd bird, it's still affordable like Italian Carcanos and Jap Arisakas so lets say less than 300.00. I am willing to accept it's limitations for that amount of money. A German Mauser, British Enfield, US Garand are guns that while I consider important and cool the cost vs the performance are not worth it in my mind. The Mosin bolt is a pain but I have always felt it was due to 2 reasons, the design of the bolt and the fact that the bolt handle is straight and short. The French Lebel (in later years) seems to have the same design flaws but it has the benefit of an angled bolt handle. I think it's telling the soviet sniper Mosin's seemed to mostly have bent bolts for better leverage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:55 am 

For $300 you can buy a brand new bolt action rifle that will be lighter, just as durable and outperform any of the Italian or Japanese surplus rifles. Ammo will be much more widely available, higher quality and cheaper. The rifle will probably even come with a scope. The only edge the milsurp will have will be in rapid fire performance. If you are reduced to rapid firing a bolt action rifle you likely will only need it once.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Stercutus wrote:
For $300 you can buy a brand new bolt action rifle that will be lighter, just as durable and outperform any of the Italian or Japanese surplus rifles. Ammo will be much more widely available, higher quality and cheaper. The rifle will probably even come with a scope. The only edge the milsurp will have will be in rapid fire performance.

QFT

I like milsurp rifles and pistols. That said I consider them range toys.

A budget of $300 to $500 yields a lot of better modern used firearms.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

The Twizzler wrote:
I think it's telling the soviet sniper Mosin's seemed to mostly have bent bolts for better leverage.

I think it's telling the soviet sniper Mosin's seemed to mostly have bent bolts so they would clear the scope. :crazy:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:07 pm 

raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
For $300 you can buy a brand new bolt action rifle that will be lighter, just as durable and outperform any of the Italian or Japanese surplus rifles. Ammo will be much more widely available, higher quality and cheaper. The rifle will probably even come with a scope. The only edge the milsurp will have will be in rapid fire performance.

QFT

I like milsurp rifles and pistols. That said I consider them range toys.

A budget of $300 to $500 yields a lot of better modern used firearms.

three primary uses of milsurp bolt action would be
1. Rifle
2. Pike/stabbing spear
3. Club

While modern bolt actions will excel over milsurp in the rifle use , in as far as accuracy , ammo availability ect.
The other two uses the milsurp will excel even more dramatically. Of course if you find yourself rifle clubing wild animals or engaging in bayonet charges in the PAW , you're probably doing things wrong. But since the milsurp was designed to do these things , it bespeaks of a more rugged firearm . Which would be beneficial , but at the expense of accuracy in most cases. From a price point of view , modern wins all the way. Milsurp as a viable cost effective option is dead. You will never again walk into a gun store to find long racks of Enfields, Garands, K-31's , Mausers of every descriptions FN 1949's and crates of Mosin's and SKS all selling for under a hundred bucks. That era is over, replaced by the entry level AR.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 pm 

flybynight wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
flybynight wrote:

I guess all those surplus mosins that still aren't smoothed-out must be in "never-been-fired, only-dropped-once" condition....Damn, Germans.

37 million made. More than double any other rifle made for ww2 for any army. Ya gotta wonder just how many actually dropped a firing pin on a live round. And if so was it more than five or ten rounds.

"One out of two gets a rifle. The one with the rifle shoots, the one without follows him. When the one with the rifle gets killed, the one that is following picks up the rifle and shoots. "

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:05 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

flybynight wrote:
Milsurp as a viable cost effective option is dead. You will never again walk into a gun store to find long racks of Enfields, Garands, K-31's , Mausers of every descriptions FN 1949's and crates of Mosin's and SKS all selling for under a hundred bucks.

Bingo.

As a child I would go to a local "Army/Navy Store" and they had drums of surplus rifles for sale for $5 to $25 (pre-GCA-1968) for sale. Most were in the $10 to $15 range. They were generally covered in a mixture of cosmoline, dirt and crud. Mosins or SKS were obviously absent but Enfields, SMLE and 1903 A3 were present.

Times have changed and so should you.

BTW if you need a spear, a bayonet and a shovel handle work well and as for a club, a baseball bat come to mind. :D

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:08 pm 

raptor wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Milsurp as a viable cost effective option is dead. You will never again walk into a gun store to find long racks of Enfields, Garands, K-31's , Mausers of every descriptions FN 1949's and crates of Mosin's and SKS all selling for under a hundred bucks.

Bingo.

As a child I would go to a local "Army/Navy Store" and they had drums of surplus rifles for sale for $5 to $25 (pre-GCA-1968) for sale. Most were in the $10 to $15 range. They were generally covered in a mixture of cosmoline, dirt and crud. Mosins or SKS were obviously absent but Enfields, SMLE and 1903 A3 were present.

Times have changed and so should you.

BTW if you need a spear, a bayonet and a shovel handle work well and as for a club, a baseball bat come to mind. :D

Just not a Russian shovel.... sticky handle :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next