It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 pm 

flybynight wrote:
Well , it's a Garand. Traditionally speaking it would be Nazi's

true enough, but in keeping with today's boogie man..... :mrgreen:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm 

Mad Mike wrote:
flybynight wrote:

no ,no, no. I have a dedicated boogie man gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:30 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
Okay :crazy: , let's get down to the nitty gritty.Plastics also fail.

Now, let us look at wood and steel. All from the 16th century. 500 years old and still working. NO plastic fantastic can make that claim and you can't guarantee it will. :v:

So if had to pick one, it would be the working one :)

Now if the Glock were running would the OP still pick it over say say a 1790's flintlock employed by the American Rebels, captured by the Yuatja, preserved in the mother ship, then re-gifted for bailing out? You know technically being milsurp and all. Not that any armies use Glocks these days just saying.... One might be more useful than the other even though one is plastic.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:57 pm 

or..FOR SALE Grandpa's two 100 year old glocks. in as fine as shape as you 're likely to find nowadays. Been in the safe since 2018

Also for sale one 1790 flintlock pistol in NRA fine condition and one High Point Plasma rifle ( 40 watt range )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:17 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mad Mike wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Hey, if we had listened to Patton, it could be used against Russian zombies :awesome:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm 

Don't worry they'll be back.

Off topic- did you know the story of that flintlock pistol?
A pirate captain called Raphael Adolini (in 1715 not 1775) who at one point, met the same Predator Glover did and gave it to him as a gift. According to that same comic, the Predator had deemed Adolini to be a worthy opponent after watching him stab his way across the West Indies and had planned on challenging him to a fist fight.
If you wanna read a synopsis of the original comic backstory here ya go. http://www.factfiend.com/the-pistol-from-predator-2-has-an-amazing-backstory/

Stercutus wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:
Okay :crazy: , let's get down to the nitty gritty.Plastics also fail.

Now, let us look at wood and steel. All from the 16th century. 500 years old and still working. NO plastic fantastic can make that claim and you can't guarantee it will. :v:

So if had to pick one, it would be the working one :)

Now if the Glock were running would the OP still pick it over say say a 1790's flintlock employed by the American Rebels, captured by the Yuatja, preserved in the mother ship, then re-gifted for bailing out? You know technically being milsurp and all. Not that any armies use Glocks these days just saying.... One might be more useful than the other even though one is plastic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

flybynight wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:
flybynight wrote:

I *really* want to hear more about this boogie man gun...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Sort of back on topic, there's a part of me still wants an Enfield rifle. Specifically, a WW1 era No.1 Mk. 3.

Back when I first started buying guns, the shop I bought my SKS from had a rack of various Enfields. None of them were the No.1 Mk.3 models, but they were still neat and pretty inexpensive at the time. Looking back, I wish I'd have bought a couple of them because they were 150 bucks a pop and are now going for 500 or more when you can find them out here.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:17 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Chimp, I agree...

I almost bought a Mosin, an enfield, or a mauser all this month with plans on building a sick "scout" style (I hate that term) rifle and using the already chopped/bubba-ed/sporter milsurp.

So that's another good reason to buy a cheaper milsurp... if it's already been hacked, hack it worse at a bargain.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 am 

I have the Enfield and Mosin and I would like a German Mauser but I think the price benefit ratio has now been lost. I could get an East Europe 24 or 48 Mauser or a Turkish or South American model but it seems like a cop out. I guess the milsurp I most want is a C-96. Cheaper alternative wants or French weapons. They seem to still be affordable but ammo is pricey.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:28 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
I have the Enfield and Mosin and I would like a German Mauser but I think the price benefit ratio has now been lost. I could get an East Europe 24 or 48 Mauser or a Turkish or South American model but it seems like a cop out. I guess the milsurp I most want is a C-96. Cheaper alternative wants or French weapons. They seem to still be affordable but ammo is pricey.
biggest gun regret I have is not buying that Mas 36 from my FIL for fifty bucks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 am 

As a prepping choice the price may be hard to justify for a German Mauser or C96. But that doesn't mean you should not get one. There are simply some things we need to do. If price is an issue then save longer. It makes the getting that much sweeter.

That is my experience anyway. I hope you get those some day.

The Twizzler wrote:

Ok. So $1500 for a C96 pistol is tough. If I were doing it I'd put away $500 a year and keep bargain hunting. But me? I probably need another car for the Mrs and the little one. Oh well. I keep telling myself I don't need more guns. But pieces of history are amazing.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Chimp, I agree...

I almost bought a Mosin, an enfield, or a mauser all this month with plans on building a sick "scout" style (I hate that term) rifle and using the already chopped/bubba-ed/sporter milsurp.

So that's another good reason to buy a cheaper milsurp... if it's already been hacked, hack it worse at a bargain.

That's a good point, Jeeper.

I used to pass on Bubba'ed milsurps because I figured any value was lost because Billy Joe Jim Bob had turned what had been a Mauser at one point into something that looked like a Vietcong guerilla had gotten to it.

I guess if one wanted to, they could attempt to make the polished turd into something a little more aesthetically appealing and functional. Sure, they'd probably spend more than what the rifle was worth, but at the end they'd have something they could be proud of.

I kind of want one of those Spanish FR-8 rifles to make into a sort of psuedo-scout rifle. Sure it'll still be heavy as hell because it's wood and steel, but I'm not planning on doing any 50 mile road marches in full kit anytime soon. And if I have to, I have one of my AKs for that.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:40 pm 

Stick with the AR. If predators are an issue and you need more than that...Mossberg shockwave in a scabbard?
Or if yoiu just want something heavy hitting around the house? 12 ga pump shitgun...pick your flavor. A 12ga slug or buckshot usually settles the score with anything except maybe rhino or hippo haha. We have black bears around here and I'm honestly not worried that a 12ga won't handle it.
I've see 12ga buck do some ugly things to leopard and hogs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Chimp, I agree...

I used to pass on Bubba'ed milsurps because I figured any value was lost because Billy Joe Jim Bob had turned what had been a Mauser at one point into something that looked like a Vietcong guerilla had gotten to it.

I guess if one wanted to, they could attempt to make the polished turd into something a little more aesthetically appealing and functional. Sure, they'd probably spend more than what the rifle was worth, but at the end they'd have something they could be proud of.

I kind of want one of those Spanish FR-8 rifles to make into a sort of psuedo-scout rifle. Sure it'll still be heavy as hell because it's wood and steel, but I'm not planning on doing any 50 mile road marches in full kit anytime soon. And if I have to, I have one of my AKs for that.

You can get a decent Monte Carlo stock for an Enfield. It is still going to be a low end bolt gun but much prettier than the one with five antlered heads and three bunnies carved in the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:42 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Chimp, I agree...

You can get a decent Monte Carlo stock for an Enfield. It is still going to be a low end bolt gun but much prettier than the one with five antlered heads and three bunnies carved in the stock.

You have one of those for sale?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm 

Quote:

I couldn't bear to part with it, it would be like selling a war medal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mm I like that Enfield!!!

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

How about one with just the bunnies?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 pm 

flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

In the "if I'd a known" category. I would have bought every single Yugo SKS that came through the shop with Cyrillic carvings and Beverly Hills 90210 or David Hasselhoff stickers on the stock. They cost me about $100 a piece at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 pm 

It might be better (might :? ) but I buy these guns for the historical factor. That's what makes them cool to me. I like that and the type of construction you can't find these days unless you got loads of cash.

Stercutus wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Chimp, I agree...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:37 am 

I always thought this looked pretty cool. If I had ever bought a Mosin I would have used some of his build ideas

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/mnsporter.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 am 

yossarian wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

In the "if I'd a known" category. I would have bought every single Yugo SKS that came through the shop with Cyrillic carvings and Beverly Hills 90210 or David Hasselhoff stickers on the stock. They cost me about $100 a piece at the time.

They are way cheaper than that now, only about $4

https://www.redbubble.com/people/ftw-de ... gJDu_D_BwE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:55 pm 

Beowolf wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:
flybynight wrote:

I *really* want to hear more about this boogie man gun...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Who dhere ? howdah !

"Well if I had a big horse pistol like that I wouldn't be scared of no boogerman".

Last edited by flybynight on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next