How can you buy milsurp in today's market?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Re: How can you buy milsurp in today's market?

Post by Mad Mike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 pm

flybynight wrote:Well , it's a Garand. Traditionally speaking it would be Nazi's
true enough, but in keeping with today's boogie man..... :mrgreen:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Mad Mike wrote:
flybynight wrote:Well , it's a Garand. Traditionally speaking it would be Nazi's
no ,no, no. I have a dedicated boogie man gun
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:30 pm

The Twizzler wrote:Okay :crazy: , let's get down to the nitty gritty.Plastics also fail.

Now, let us look at wood and steel. All from the 16th century. 500 years old and still working. NO plastic fantastic can make that claim and you can't guarantee it will. :v:

So if had to pick one, it would be the working one :)
Now if the Glock were running would the OP still pick it over say say a 1790's flintlock employed by the American Rebels, captured by the Yuatja, preserved in the mother ship, then re-gifted for bailing out? You know technically being milsurp and all. Not that any armies use Glocks these days just saying.... One might be more useful than the other even though one is plastic.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:57 pm

or..FOR SALE Grandpa's two 100 year old glocks. in as fine as shape as you 're likely to find nowadays. Been in the safe since 2018

Also for sale one 1790 flintlock pistol in NRA fine condition and one High Point Plasma rifle ( 40 watt range )

John Titor was right

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Mad Mike wrote:
Hey, if we had listened to Patton, it could be used against Russian zombies :awesome:

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Don't worry they'll be back.

Off topic- did you know the story of that flintlock pistol?
A pirate captain called Raphael Adolini (in 1715 not 1775) who at one point, met the same Predator Glover did and gave it to him as a gift. According to that same comic, the Predator had deemed Adolini to be a worthy opponent after watching him stab his way across the West Indies and had planned on challenging him to a fist fight.
If you wanna read a synopsis of the original comic backstory here ya go. http://www.factfiend.com/the-pistol-fro ... backstory/

Stercutus wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:Okay :crazy: , let's get down to the nitty gritty.Plastics also fail.

Now, let us look at wood and steel. All from the 16th century. 500 years old and still working. NO plastic fantastic can make that claim and you can't guarantee it will. :v:

So if had to pick one, it would be the working one :)
Now if the Glock were running would the OP still pick it over say say a 1790's flintlock employed by the American Rebels, captured by the Yuatja, preserved in the mother ship, then re-gifted for bailing out? You know technically being milsurp and all. Not that any armies use Glocks these days just saying.... One might be more useful than the other even though one is plastic.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:
I *really* want to hear more about this boogie man gun...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Sort of back on topic, there's a part of me still wants an Enfield rifle. Specifically, a WW1 era No.1 Mk. 3.

Back when I first started buying guns, the shop I bought my SKS from had a rack of various Enfields. None of them were the No.1 Mk.3 models, but they were still neat and pretty inexpensive at the time. Looking back, I wish I'd have bought a couple of them because they were 150 bucks a pop and are now going for 500 or more when you can find them out here.
Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:17 am

Chimp, I agree...

I almost bought a Mosin, an enfield, or a mauser all this month with plans on building a sick "scout" style (I hate that term) rifle and using the already chopped/bubba-ed/sporter milsurp.

So that's another good reason to buy a cheaper milsurp... if it's already been hacked, hack it worse at a bargain.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 am

I have the Enfield and Mosin and I would like a German Mauser but I think the price benefit ratio has now been lost. I could get an East Europe 24 or 48 Mauser or a Turkish or South American model but it seems like a cop out. I guess the milsurp I most want is a C-96. Cheaper alternative wants or French weapons. They seem to still be affordable but ammo is pricey.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:28 am

The Twizzler wrote:I have the Enfield and Mosin and I would like a German Mauser but I think the price benefit ratio has now been lost. I could get an East Europe 24 or 48 Mauser or a Turkish or South American model but it seems like a cop out. I guess the milsurp I most want is a C-96. Cheaper alternative wants or French weapons. They seem to still be affordable but ammo is pricey.
biggest gun regret I have is not buying that Mas 36 from my FIL for fifty bucks

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 am

As a prepping choice the price may be hard to justify for a German Mauser or C96. But that doesn't mean you should not get one. There are simply some things we need to do. If price is an issue then save longer. It makes the getting that much sweeter.

That is my experience anyway. I hope you get those some day.
The Twizzler wrote:I have the Enfield and Mosin and I would like a German Mauser but I think the price benefit ratio has now been lost. I could get an East Europe 24 or 48 Mauser or a Turkish or South American model but it seems like a cop out. I guess the milsurp I most want is a C-96. Cheaper alternative wants or French weapons. They seem to still be affordable but ammo is pricey.
Ok. So $1500 for a C96 pistol is tough. If I were doing it I'd put away $500 a year and keep bargain hunting. But me? I probably need another car for the Mrs and the little one. Oh well. I keep telling myself I don't need more guns. But pieces of history are amazing.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Chimp, I agree...

I almost bought a Mosin, an enfield, or a mauser all this month with plans on building a sick "scout" style (I hate that term) rifle and using the already chopped/bubba-ed/sporter milsurp.

So that's another good reason to buy a cheaper milsurp... if it's already been hacked, hack it worse at a bargain.
That's a good point, Jeeper.

I used to pass on Bubba'ed milsurps because I figured any value was lost because Billy Joe Jim Bob had turned what had been a Mauser at one point into something that looked like a Vietcong guerilla had gotten to it.

I guess if one wanted to, they could attempt to make the polished turd into something a little more aesthetically appealing and functional. Sure, they'd probably spend more than what the rifle was worth, but at the end they'd have something they could be proud of.

I kind of want one of those Spanish FR-8 rifles to make into a sort of psuedo-scout rifle. Sure it'll still be heavy as hell because it's wood and steel, but I'm not planning on doing any 50 mile road marches in full kit anytime soon. And if I have to, I have one of my AKs for that.

delarey

Post by delarey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Stick with the AR. If predators are an issue and you need more than that...Mossberg shockwave in a scabbard?
Or if yoiu just want something heavy hitting around the house? 12 ga pump shitgun...pick your flavor. A 12ga slug or buckshot usually settles the score with anything except maybe rhino or hippo haha. We have black bears around here and I'm honestly not worried that a 12ga won't handle it.
I've see 12ga buck do some ugly things to leopard and hogs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I used to pass on Bubba'ed milsurps because I figured any value was lost because Billy Joe Jim Bob had turned what had been a Mauser at one point into something that looked like a Vietcong guerilla had gotten to it.

I guess if one wanted to, they could attempt to make the polished turd into something a little more aesthetically appealing and functional. Sure, they'd probably spend more than what the rifle was worth, but at the end they'd have something they could be proud of.

I kind of want one of those Spanish FR-8 rifles to make into a sort of psuedo-scout rifle. Sure it'll still be heavy as hell because it's wood and steel, but I'm not planning on doing any 50 mile road marches in full kit anytime soon. And if I have to, I have one of my AKs for that.
You can get a decent Monte Carlo stock for an Enfield. It is still going to be a low end bolt gun but much prettier than the one with five antlered heads and three bunnies carved in the stock.

Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Stercutus wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

You can get a decent Monte Carlo stock for an Enfield. It is still going to be a low end bolt gun but much prettier than the one with five antlered heads and three bunnies carved in the stock.

You have one of those for sale?

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

I couldn't bear to part with it, it would be like selling a war medal.
Shall be my brother

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Mm I like that Enfield!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Stercutus wrote:
How about one with just the bunnies?

John Titor was right

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 pm

flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
In the "if I'd a known" category. I would have bought every single Yugo SKS that came through the shop with Cyrillic carvings and Beverly Hills 90210 or David Hasselhoff stickers on the stock. They cost me about $100 a piece at the time.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 pm

It might be better (might :? ) but I buy these guns for the historical factor. That's what makes them cool to me. I like that and the type of construction you can't find these days unless you got loads of cash.

Stercutus wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:37 am

I always thought this looked pretty cool. If I had ever bought a Mosin I would have used some of his build ideas

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/mnsporter.html

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 am

yossarian wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
In the "if I'd a known" category. I would have bought every single Yugo SKS that came through the shop with Cyrillic carvings and Beverly Hills 90210 or David Hasselhoff stickers on the stock. They cost me about $100 a piece at the time.
They are way cheaper than that now, only about $4

https://www.redbubble.com/people/ftw-de ... gJDu_D_BwE
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Beowolf wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:
I *really* want to hear more about this boogie man gun...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Who dhere ? howdah !

"Well if I had a big horse pistol like that I wouldn't be scared of no boogerman".
Last edited by flybynight on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Titor was right

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”