The Return Of The Ruger Police Carbine; The PC9

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jor-el

The Return Of The Ruger Police Carbine; The PC9

Post by jor-el » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:33 pm

https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

Buoyed by the continued popularity of Pistol Caliber Carbines, Ruger has been listening to its customers and brought out a redesigned PC9.

From the factory it comes with integral pic rail and accessory rail on the forend. The factory irons are high enough to possibly co-witness with some of the integral mount red dot sights.

The trigger pack removes and is 80% interchangeable with 10/22 trigger parts, so most of the aftermarket trigger parts market can be utilized to improve the trigger pull, an old complaint of the original.

The butt of the stock has spacers to adjust the length of pull to better suit youth and female shooters.

For Free Americans, note the threaded barrel. Note the magazine well; right from the box the mag well is interchangeable between Ruger SR9 mags and a spare mag well for Glock 17/19/26 magazines.

For Ban State dwellers there is an unthreaded barrel model that comes with SR9 ten rounders.

You might have noticed a seam at the juncture of the receiver and barrel.

The takedown feature offers portability options not otherwise available in a centerfire rifle. Couple this with a soft floating waterproof case and this can advertise as a survival rifle.

Believe it is available for pre-order with a street price about $520 or so.

I may have to put in an order.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

boskone

Re: The Return Of The Ruger Police Carbine; The PC9

Post by boskone » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Saw it the other day, but given my past experiences with early-release Rugers I'm holding off for a while.

Also hoping for a Magpul Backpacker-style stock. :D

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:46 pm

I think Rick actually posted this in the firearms chat. Seems pretty cool, I like the takedown, and the multi mag, however it's ugly as sin.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Damn that's a short sight radius.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:00 pm

Halfapint wrote:I think Rick actually posted this in the firearms chat. Seems pretty cool, I like the takedown, and the multi mag, however it's ugly as sin.
No, that was Jeeper....my only contribution was how fugly it was. :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:12 pm

I couldn't stop laughing when everyone was amazed by this "new" carbine, I pointed out to them that the Ruger Police Carbine was made until 2007.
It really wasn't that interesting when you compare it to AR pistols that feed off of Glock mags, but the takedown feature could be a useful feature for those looking at it as a trunk/backpacking gun.
Always did wonder why Ruger stopped making the Police Carbine to begin with.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:26 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:I couldn't stop laughing when everyone was amazed by this "new" carbine, I pointed out to them that the Ruger Police Carbine was made until 2007.
It really wasn't that interesting when you compare it to AR pistols that feed off of Glock mags, but the takedown feature could be a useful feature for those looking at it as a trunk/backpacking gun.
More than likely the same reason Marlin stopped making the camp carbines. Lack of sales. High Point can keep churning them out cause they are so cheaply priced. If Ruger could offer them for under 300 too , they'd sell like hot cakes
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:26 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:I couldn't stop laughing when everyone was amazed by this "new" carbine, I pointed out to them that the Ruger Police Carbine was made until 2007.
More than likely the same reason Marlin stopped making the camp carbines. Lack of sales. High Point can keep churning them out cause they are so cheaply priced. If Ruger could offer them for under 300 too , they'd sell like hot cakes

John Titor was right

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:21 pm

They didn't have the ban plague like they do in CA, CT, MA, MD and NY back in 2007.
Look at the height of those irons; they were meant to clear a suppressor.
Funny you mention the AR; in NYC and a few other municipalities it is banned in name and design. There's a guy on arfcom insisting a franken AR in 9mm is a better choice than the Ruger.

Sales was only part of the problem; the old Ruger had a less than stellar trigger and accuracy suffered.
ARs were starting to take over in the patrol rifle role and AR modularity allowed improved triggers.

Something else happened between 2007 and now; urbanization. In the 30 years since I started gun ownership, three ranges have closed downstate with no replacements. NYPD used to maintain a practice range in each boro fully manned as of 1998. All gone by 2004 and not replaced. Nassau County range for decades banned steel jacket ammo but upgraded for the benefit of the county PD. Most of the other indoor ranges still ban it.
Big reason for the anticipation of the Ruger? Many ranges nowadays in urban areas like NYC will not let you shoot your AR because you will destroy the handgun rated backstop.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:41 am

Interesting. Still I will pass. I do like the idea of a suppressor but i see nothing this can do that an AR can do as well. Now if they make one in 10mm it would make a decent hog rifle.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:22 am

Something else has changed since the original PC9 and PC4 went away in 2007: the market segment and Target demographic is all new.

I've always wanted a PC9 or a Marlin camp carbine, but I couldn't afford a used one for what it was. I didn't buy a new one when they made them, because, well, I was in high school.

I was too busy bird-dogging chicks in 2007 to think about buying a gun, and besides, I was underage. Now, many years later, I'm closing in on 30 years old.

So us kids can now buy cool stuff we couldn't... Because 2007 was actually a decent amount of time ago (sadly).

Plus, pistol caliber carbines are all the rage for many good reasons. It's a cyclical market.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:10 am

Because 2007 was actually a decent amount of time ago (sadly).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

John Titor was right

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 pm

I Like everything but weight. 7 pounds seems pretty steep. Hoping we see a light weight variant, or at least a lighter aftermarket stock.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 pm

It looks pretty cool and seems to function well but I just can't see any use for it for me other than the cool factor. It's as long as a carbine size rifle but not as powerful. In a close setting it's pistol round doesn't hold any benefit in an apartment or close subdivision as far as over penetration is concerned. It's not really a hunting gun. Sure it would be fun at the range and cheaper to shot than most but that's all it's good at. If there is a scenario anyone thinks it would excel at I would be happy to hear but I can't think of any.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 am

It is great at providing a long gun while simplifying the logistics train.

It is great for shooters who are noise and recoil sensitive.

It could be very useful for training new shooters.

It looks like it fits in ban states.

It fits urban and restricted range requirements, as noted above.

It can be used for cheap training due to lower ammo cost. Yes, you could use a .22, but some will prefer a different caliber.

You CAN use it for hunting.

So I see utility in this gun.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:03 pm

raptor wrote:Interesting. Still I will pass. I do like the idea of a suppressor but i see nothing this can do that an AR can do as well. Now if they make one in 10mm it would make a decent hog rifle.
You're starting to sound like me..... 10mm everything!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Halfapint wrote:
raptor wrote:Interesting. Still I will pass. I do like the idea of a suppressor but i see nothing this can do that an AR can do as well. Now if they make one in 10mm it would make a decent hog rifle.
You're starting to sound like me..... 10mm everything!
The feral pigs in the my area are not the huge ones you see in TX due to constant predation. In addition feral hog control is generally at close range ~ under 50 yards and in dense brush. They are fast, good at concealment and wily.

A .357 mag 180gr Buffalo Bore in a 16 inch barrel works well but a 10mm semi auto rifle would be a better choice. Terminal performance for the 10mm would be as good or better than the .357 and allow faster follow up shots on other hogs. They always travel in multiples.

A Ruger 44 carbine would also be useful but they are history.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

I bet with some super spicy +p+ loads, that PC9 carbine will be pushing 115 gr-147gr bullets at 1300-1500 fps, making maybe 600+ ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

I know it's not ideal, but lotsa dudes run 22mag for hog, so I bet a hot 9mm could be nice and handy. Plus I'm sure the rifle can handle the pressures since it's a Ruger and all...

But I agree, the interwebs is calling for a 10mm and there is a gap to be filled
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:51 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:But I agree, the interwebs is calling for a 10mm and there is a gap to be filled
Welp, there's always the Hi-Point 10mm carbine. Or, if ya just gots to have that Glock mag, the Just Right and TNW Aero 10mm carbines. :ooh:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Maybe useful where lower penetration is a concern. But if that were an issue I'd go with something in 45ACP
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 pm

RickOShea wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:But I agree, the interwebs is calling for a 10mm and there is a gap to be filled
Welp, there's always the Hi-Point 10mm carbine. Or, if ya just gots to have that Glock mag, the Just Right and TNW Aero 10mm carbines. :ooh:
I don't really see the JRC or TNW offerings being as viable as other options only because they are small companies and are largely proprietary within that small company. Getting a proprietary gun from a big company like Ruger (even hi point) is more comforting for many consumers dropping some big cash. At least for a niche gun like a 10mm PCC.

I think some companies have their AR platforms in 10mm, which may help as ARs are "more universal", but parts aren't as universal as the standard AR15.

On a side note, that 10mm HiPoint will be awesome. Ruger better hurry with their 10mm if they are gonna do one before all the 10mm guys buy $300 HiPoints

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm

raptor wrote:
I believe $1000 on GunBroker will get you one. People have spent more on less....

Personally I think an AK with soft points would be a fantastic option for hogs or deer. I also think a .357 bolt action with red dot would be a wonderful choice. Especially inside 50 y/m.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am

woodsghost wrote:
raptor wrote:
I believe $1000 on GunBroker will get you one. People have spent more on less....

Personally I think an AK with soft points would be a fantastic option for hogs or deer. I also think a .357 bolt action with red dot would be a wonderful choice. Especially inside 50 y/m.
I use a Rossi Trapper (16 in BBL) in .357 and it is fine in that the short barrel is handy in the dense brush in the area. Open sights work well at the distance I encounter. I opted for this because .357 in a stock cartridge for me. Coupled with 180 gr buffalo bore hard cast lead rounds this works well.

I see a lot of people using 5.56mm in AR-15 for this especially when they are in the "pest control" mode. I also see 6.8mm but .300blk is rapidly gaining popularity. That said my sample is not exactly scientific.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:53 pm

6.8, 300blk, & 7.62x39 are all basically the same. Just some platform differences which are understandable.

I'm wondering what 5.56 rounds your circle finds work well? I can probably Google around :)

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”