It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:17 am 

A new possibly game-changing rifle has hit the market up here in Canada. After a four year delay while the RCMP lab reviewed it, the Type 81 SA was classified as non-restricted and a batch of some 1,000 rifles (more to come) was imported by Tactical Imports. Half of the batch was fixed wood stock rifles and the other half featured side-folding stocks. The price tag is $999 and spare mags are around $20 each.

Why is this potentially a game-changing rifle? Because it is as close to an AK as the average Canadian gun owner can own. The AK-47 and all it's variants are classified as prohibited in Canada and unless you had one registered in your name 20 odd years ago when the law came into effect, you are out of luck. They are "unobtainium." The Type-81, being non-restricted can be purchased by any licensed gun owner in Canada and can be used for any purpose including hunting. The rifles are newly manufactured semi-auto only copies of the standard Chinese military rifle from the 1980s until the late 90s. It replaced the Type 56 AK variant in the early 80s was designed as an improvement on that design. In actual fact, it is pretty much the love-child of the SKS and the AK. It chambers the 7.62x39 cartridge. It features a short-stroke gas piston similar to that of an SKS and a bolt carrier arrangement similar to an SKS with an AK like bolt. It features a heavy stamped metal receiver with milled front and rear trunnions. It also features a variable gas system - normal, adverse and cut-off, the front sight is moved towards the rear and a grenade launcher is fixed to the barrel - similar to a Yugo SKS. It also features a lock-open-on-empty system. It mags look like AK mags but they are not compatible - they cannot use AK mags and AKs cannot accept type 81 Mags. It features a nice blued finish and blonde AK-style wood furniture. At includes a cleaning kit in the buttstock and comes with a sling and 2 spare mags. I ordered an additional 6 spare mags with my rifle.

It has a very AK like feel to it and could easily be mistaken for an AK by the untrained eye. It weighs is at about 7lbs empty. It is very comfortable to hold and to shoulder. Accuracy is acceptable - on par with what you would expect from an AK or an SKS. It is not a precision instrument but it is accurate enough to get the job done. I was able to hit 6 - 8" groups at 100 yards from a bench with Chinese milsurp ammo. Its mags will fit any chest rigs or other gear made for AK mags

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:44 am 

I've been thinking about moving to Canada, buying a few guns, and then moving back to the US. I don't know how that would work out, but that Type 81 is one more strong argument for trying it.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.