New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
mantis
* * * * *
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Brantford, Ontario

New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by mantis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:17 am

A new possibly game-changing rifle has hit the market up here in Canada. After a four year delay while the RCMP lab reviewed it, the Type 81 SA was classified as non-restricted and a batch of some 1,000 rifles (more to come) was imported by Tactical Imports. Half of the batch was fixed wood stock rifles and the other half featured side-folding stocks. The price tag is $999 and spare mags are around $20 each.

Why is this potentially a game-changing rifle? Because it is as close to an AK as the average Canadian gun owner can own. The AK-47 and all it's variants are classified as prohibited in Canada and unless you had one registered in your name 20 odd years ago when the law came into effect, you are out of luck. They are "unobtainium." The Type-81, being non-restricted can be purchased by any licensed gun owner in Canada and can be used for any purpose including hunting. The rifles are newly manufactured semi-auto only copies of the standard Chinese military rifle from the 1980s until the late 90s. It replaced the Type 56 AK variant in the early 80s was designed as an improvement on that design. In actual fact, it is pretty much the love-child of the SKS and the AK. It chambers the 7.62x39 cartridge. It features a short-stroke gas piston similar to that of an SKS and a bolt carrier arrangement similar to an SKS with an AK like bolt. It features a heavy stamped metal receiver with milled front and rear trunnions. It also features a variable gas system - normal, adverse and cut-off, the front sight is moved towards the rear and a grenade launcher is fixed to the barrel - similar to a Yugo SKS. It also features a lock-open-on-empty system. It mags look like AK mags but they are not compatible - they cannot use AK mags and AKs cannot accept type 81 Mags. It features a nice blued finish and blonde AK-style wood furniture. At includes a cleaning kit in the buttstock and comes with a sling and 2 spare mags. I ordered an additional 6 spare mags with my rifle.

Image

It has a very AK like feel to it and could easily be mistaken for an AK by the untrained eye. It weighs is at about 7lbs empty. It is very comfortable to hold and to shoulder. Accuracy is acceptable - on par with what you would expect from an AK or an SKS. It is not a precision instrument but it is accurate enough to get the job done. I was able to hit 6 - 8" groups at 100 yards from a bench with Chinese milsurp ammo. Its mags will fit any chest rigs or other gear made for AK mags
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2799
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by woodsghost » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:44 am

I've been thinking about moving to Canada, buying a few guns, and then moving back to the US. I don't know how that would work out, but that Type 81 is one more strong argument for trying it.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by JF89 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Is there any chance that these make it to the U.S.?

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16250
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:39 pm

woodsghost wrote:I've been thinking about moving to Canada, buying a few guns, and then moving back to the US. I don't know how that would work out, but that Type 81 is one more strong argument for trying it.
You can do that but your firearms from China cannot legally come with you unless they are legal here. :wink:

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6443
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:40 pm

JF89 wrote:Is there any chance that these make it to the U.S.?
Given that they're Chinese made guns and there's a long standing ban (I think since 1995 or so) on them, I highly doubt we'll see these rifles in the US anytime soon.

Which sucks because Canada gets a lot of cool guns we can't get down here in the states.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2799
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by woodsghost » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JF89 wrote:Is there any chance that these make it to the U.S.?
Given that they're Chinese made guns and there's a long standing ban (I think since 1995 or so) on them, I highly doubt we'll see these rifles in the US anytime soon.

Which sucks because Canada gets a lot of cool guns we can't get down here in the states.
But we get mags. So it is sorta even. Well, some of us get mags. Canada is actually more free than some US states. :ooh:

And Canada gets more ammo choices. Nobody tells them mild steel core is illegal.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6443
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:16 pm

woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JF89 wrote:Is there any chance that these make it to the U.S.?
Given that they're Chinese made guns and there's a long standing ban (I think since 1995 or so) on them, I highly doubt we'll see these rifles in the US anytime soon.

Which sucks because Canada gets a lot of cool guns we can't get down here in the states.
But we get mags. So it is sorta even. Well, some of us get mags. Canada is actually more free than some US states. :ooh:

And Canada gets more ammo choices. Nobody tells them mild steel core is illegal.
I blame whatever genius at Olympic Arms decided "Hey, let's make a pistol that fires a rifle round, make a big to do about Chinese steel core ammo and go 'neener neener' to the ATF about it." for that.

Although, I guess it's a bit unfair for me to put the blame solely on Olympic Arms since they weren't the only parties involved in that whole steel core ammo debacle.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16250
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 pm

I would tend to blame the ones who were going "neemer, neemer, neener..." to the ATF. That is why we cannot have nice things ... like grenades and anti tank wespons.wy :clownshoes:

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6443
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:53 pm

raptor wrote:I would tend to blame the ones who were going "neemer, neemer, neener..." to the ATF. That is why we cannot have nice things ... like grenades and anti tank wespons.wy :clownshoes:
Good point, Raptor.

From what I remember, someone at Norinco was caught by the Feds trying to sell those types of weapons to gangs in California. And because of that, the Feds decided that Chinese made guns were no longer eligible for import.

Sound about right ?

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 8662
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: From what I remember, someone at Norinco was caught by the Feds trying to sell those types of weapons to gangs in California. And because of that, the Feds decided that Chinese made guns were no longer eligible for import.

Sound about right ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norinco#T ... ted_States

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... lt-rifles/
Last edited by RickOShea on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Good for you guys, I'm glad when Canada gets good options!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6443
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 pm

RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: From what I remember, someone at Norinco was caught by the Feds trying to sell those types of weapons to gangs in California. And because of that, the Feds decided that Chinese made guns were no longer eligible for import.

Sound about right ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norinco#T ... ted_States

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... lt-rifles/
I knew I was getting my info mixed up.

Thanks for the links, Rick.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: New Rifle Hits the Streets - Polytech Type 81SA

Post by JF89 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:32 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JF89 wrote:Is there any chance that these make it to the U.S.?
Given that they're Chinese made guns and there's a long standing ban (I think since 1995 or so) on them, I highly doubt we'll see these rifles in the US anytime soon.

Which sucks because Canada gets a lot of cool guns we can't get down here in the states.
But we get mags. So it is sorta even. Well, some of us get mags. Canada is actually more free than some US states. :ooh:

And Canada gets more ammo choices. Nobody tells them mild steel core is illegal.
I blame whatever genius at Olympic Arms decided "Hey, let's make a pistol that fires a rifle round, make a big to do about Chinese steel core ammo and go 'neener neener' to the ATF about it." for that.

Although, I guess it's a bit unfair for me to put the blame solely on Olympic Arms since they weren't the only parties involved in that whole steel core ammo debacle.
"Shall not infringe" must be a "neener neener" thing too.

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”