Chiappa Double Badger 22LR over 20 guage

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Chiappa Double Badger 22LR over 20 guage

Post by 00dlez » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Got this not too long ago and was getting some questions in the "what have you bought" thread so I thought I'd move the discussion to somewhere more appropriate.

Loving it so far - it's heavy but it's comfotable to hold and short enough that it doesnt feel unbalanced. Both barrels shoot straight and with a little practice I think i'll be able to improve on the already acceptable accuracy. I put up a 4 shot group at around 2 inches +1 flier (25 yards)... I'm sure that was the second shot that I goofed and pulled too quickly on. I think that will be good enough for dastardly squirrels and rabbits.

On that note... I like the trigger. Not too heavy (~7lbs?) of a pull and crisp. Common complaint on this is that the triggers are reversed from most/all other over/under rifles. This is my first and only, so it's not something that bugs me yet.

Got to shoot some 7.5 shot and it made some nice patterns at 10, 15 and 20 yards. About 6 inches across at 15 yards.

2 issues so far - biggest one is breaking open the action. It is STIFF. Fingers crossed that with use it will loosen a bit, but for now it can take 2 or 3 strong yanks to get the sucker open.

The second issue is the sights - 2 rear fiber optic dots on a ghost ring and a forward fiber optic dot of a different color. Green and red respectively for me, I've seen pictures of them reversed online. Issue is that my shooting glasses are tinted yellow, and it makes it hard to pick up the green optic. I have other un-tinted glasses - just something I noticed and need to be aware of if I'm doing anyhting more serious than paper slaying.

I was asked if shooting heavy loads made the tigger guard give my knucles hell. Only shot 7.5 shot shells so Im not sure, but every indication is that with the weight of the gun it won't be too much of an issue - even the 20 gauge hardly registers. I've been dying to get some No1 buckshot for it, but I can't find any locally south of ~$1.25 a shell (non-premium/hunting). Once I get desperate I'll go online.

I got the rifle for small game hunting - something I've never done before. Like any logical person, first I bought the gun, then I took the state required tests, then I bought my permit. No excuses now, just have to do it.

I want to get an adjustable choke for it, but Im not sure it will work with an over/under... Any one else use one like that?
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

woodsghost

Re: Chiappa Double Badger 22LR over 20 guage

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:33 pm

What I did with my break open shotgun that was having troubles is I greased it.

I then noticed that the forend itself was contacting the swivel point on the receiver so I took some material off the forend and it worked good.

Next on the list was to remove some material from the swivel point on the receiver. I would have used some high grit sand paper, or a sharpening stone. I would have been pretty gentle and just removed enough material to get it moving. Maybe just enough to polish the surfaces.

Just some thoughts.

Love that gun!!!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Seems like your happy with your purchase, and that's great. My question earlier about the knuckle issue was with 00 buck or slugs. I didn't have an issue with shot. In regards to the stiffness when opening, some of that will go away but not all. I find the best thing to use is grease. The type I use comes in sort of a big hyperdermic needle. It's quite thick, kinda seems close to lard in consistency, that helped some. If you so wish you can buy a barrel adapter for like 20 bucks. I use mine in my 12 gauge to fire 4.10 for squirrel. They work great in break actions and you can get a lot of different caliber conversions on the cheap. I bought the unrifled short chamber as I was using shot but you can buy longer riffled barreled adapters if you wish.
Mine
Others
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 am

Some day I'll actually get some heavy loads through it - I want to pattern No1 and No4 buck and shoot some slugs - just need to find a decent price

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

The Twizzler wrote:Seems like your happy with your purchase, and that's great. My question earlier about the knuckle issue was with 00 buck or slugs. I didn't have an issue with shot.
Still no slugs, but I shot a few shells of #1 buck today without any issues or discomfort on my knuckles or shoulder - handled really nice and patterned around 4 inches at 10 yards with an improved cylinder choke.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:26 pm

I have a Savage 24F in .22 LR/20 GA. I am pleased with my combo. :D

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:23 pm

MPMalloy wrote:I have a Savage 24F in .22 LR/20 GA. I am pleased with my combo. :D
Beautiful, tried and true for sure... The price folks want for them for a used product* was just unjustifiable for me though.

* Used and often abused with little chance to really look things over

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:26 pm

10th Birthday - Savage 24F in .22LR/.410 - my first real one. She barked at 6 skwerl on Saturday - took my limit. I have a simple notch and a pin for sighting and it works fine.

If you hit one of the bigger guns shows you will be able to find any type of 20 g shells, even some specialty items. Good luck; I love the O/U combos. There is probably nothing in the food chain that doesn't like rabbit and squirrel.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Decent 5 round group at 10 yards - standing, free hand, no sling. Certainly shoots Minute of Squirrel with those subsonic CCI hollowpoints - 40 gr, 1050 fps

delarey

Post by delarey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:15 am

I grew up with a savage 24...410/22. Fantastic little shooters, but unobtanium these days. I'll have to look at this little badger. Glad it's working out for you...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Keeping it O/U, It would be interesting to see if anyone was using a Savage 42.
Henry David Thoreau

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 pm

The Twizzler wrote:Seems like your happy with your purchase, and that's great. My question earlier about the knuckle issue was with 00 buck or slugs. I didn't have an issue with shot. In regards to the stiffness when opening, some of that will go away but not all.
I finally got some slugs to the range and put 5 through the Double Badger. I'm pleased to report that I was not having any issues with knuckles from the recoil or shoulder discomfort. Thanks to the wooden furniture and dual barrels, the gun is fairly heft and was taking the recoil like a champ. I've now shot slugs, #1 buck, #4 shot and bird shot - no issues, patterns nice, and the accuracy with the .22lr and slugs is great for what I need it for

Free hand, standing, with sling now - 5 rounds Federal Slugs at 15 yards

Maybe someday I'll dig up a 3" magnum turkey load and see if that takes it to the next level, but for now I think it's safe to say that there is no knuckle issue.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Just another quick update. I spotted this guy's work (https://www.etsy.com/shop/possumhollowdesigns) last year and ment to get a shell holder for the Chiappa then but kind of forgot about it until recently. Glad I reached out, it looks, feels, and yes, even smells, great.

Shells pushed in REALLY easy, yet, they are in there nice and tight - no play or slips at all. It fits great over the stock and I did a quick tie down on it... It slides about a half inch. With some adjustments I think it'll work just right.

5 x 20 gauge loops, 5 x .22lr loops - death to all squirrels.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Looks great. I will be reaching out to that dude as well. I've been looking for a custom leather butt stock pouch for a rifle as well.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Stercutus wrote:Looks great. I will be reaching out to that dude as well. I've been looking for a custom leather butt stock pouch for a rifle as well.
He makes them custom too - he only had listings for .410/.22 holders but was happy to make the 20 / .22, with my specified loops for each, without a blink.

I was worried that the coloring would look "artificial" or manufactured based on some of his pics, but it turned out just great.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Do you think the shell holder would work on a non-wood (I forget the proper verbage) stock? I have a Savage 24F in the same gauge/caliber as your Chiappa.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Do you think the shell holder would work on a non-wood (I forget the proper verbage) stock? I have a Savage 24F in the same gauge/caliber as your Chiappa.
His actual description on the specific item page calls out the Chiappa and Savage 24 so I would say that it would. As long as you take the time to lace and tie it down properly I imagine it would fit almost any standard stock.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:20 am

Dang it 00dlez. My Savage Model 24 has been going strong since my 10th birthday without needing a fancy "Handmade premium grade Vegetable tan cowhide stock cuff with cartridge loops." Now I need one.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”