It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Got this not too long ago and was getting some questions in the "what have you bought" thread so I thought I'd move the discussion to somewhere more appropriate.

Loving it so far - it's heavy but it's comfotable to hold and short enough that it doesnt feel unbalanced. Both barrels shoot straight and with a little practice I think i'll be able to improve on the already acceptable accuracy. I put up a 4 shot group at around 2 inches +1 flier (25 yards)... I'm sure that was the second shot that I goofed and pulled too quickly on. I think that will be good enough for dastardly squirrels and rabbits.

On that note... I like the trigger. Not too heavy (~7lbs?) of a pull and crisp. Common complaint on this is that the triggers are reversed from most/all other over/under rifles. This is my first and only, so it's not something that bugs me yet.

Got to shoot some 7.5 shot and it made some nice patterns at 10, 15 and 20 yards. About 6 inches across at 15 yards.

2 issues so far - biggest one is breaking open the action. It is STIFF. Fingers crossed that with use it will loosen a bit, but for now it can take 2 or 3 strong yanks to get the sucker open.

The second issue is the sights - 2 rear fiber optic dots on a ghost ring and a forward fiber optic dot of a different color. Green and red respectively for me, I've seen pictures of them reversed online. Issue is that my shooting glasses are tinted yellow, and it makes it hard to pick up the green optic. I have other un-tinted glasses - just something I noticed and need to be aware of if I'm doing anyhting more serious than paper slaying.

I was asked if shooting heavy loads made the tigger guard give my knucles hell. Only shot 7.5 shot shells so Im not sure, but every indication is that with the weight of the gun it won't be too much of an issue - even the 20 gauge hardly registers. I've been dying to get some No1 buckshot for it, but I can't find any locally south of ~$1.25 a shell (non-premium/hunting). Once I get desperate I'll go online.

I got the rifle for small game hunting - something I've never done before. Like any logical person, first I bought the gun, then I took the state required tests, then I bought my permit. No excuses now, just have to do it.

I want to get an adjustable choke for it, but Im not sure it will work with an over/under... Any one else use one like that?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:33 pm 

What I did with my break open shotgun that was having troubles is I greased it.

I then noticed that the forend itself was contacting the swivel point on the receiver so I took some material off the forend and it worked good.

Next on the list was to remove some material from the swivel point on the receiver. I would have used some high grit sand paper, or a sharpening stone. I would have been pretty gentle and just removed enough material to get it moving. Maybe just enough to polish the surfaces.

Just some thoughts.

Love that gun!!!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:35 pm 

Seems like your happy with your purchase, and that's great. My question earlier about the knuckle issue was with 00 buck or slugs. I didn't have an issue with shot. In regards to the stiffness when opening, some of that will go away but not all. I find the best thing to use is grease. The type I use comes in sort of a big hyperdermic needle. It's quite thick, kinda seems close to lard in consistency, that helped some. If you so wish you can buy a barrel adapter for like 20 bucks. I use mine in my 12 gauge to fire 4.10 for squirrel. They work great in break actions and you can get a lot of different caliber conversions on the cheap. I bought the unrifled short chamber as I was using shot but you can buy longer riffled barreled adapters if you wish.
Mine
Others

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Some day I'll actually get some heavy loads through it - I want to pattern No1 and No4 buck and shoot some slugs - just need to find a decent price

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Twizzler wrote:
Seems like your happy with your purchase, and that's great. My question earlier about the knuckle issue was with 00 buck or slugs. I didn't have an issue with shot.

Still no slugs, but I shot a few shells of #1 buck today without any issues or discomfort on my knuckles or shoulder - handled really nice and patterned around 4 inches at 10 yards with an improved cylinder choke.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have a Savage 24F in .22 LR/20 GA. I am pleased with my combo. :D

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

MPMalloy wrote:
I have a Savage 24F in .22 LR/20 GA. I am pleased with my combo. :D

Beautiful, tried and true for sure... The price folks want for them for a used product* was just unjustifiable for me though.

* Used and often abused with little chance to really look things over

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

10th Birthday - Savage 24F in .22LR/.410 - my first real one. She barked at 6 skwerl on Saturday - took my limit. I have a simple notch and a pin for sighting and it works fine.

If you hit one of the bigger guns shows you will be able to find any type of 20 g shells, even some specialty items. Good luck; I love the O/U combos. There is probably nothing in the food chain that doesn't like rabbit and squirrel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Decent 5 round group at 10 yards - standing, free hand, no sling. Certainly shoots Minute of Squirrel with those subsonic CCI hollowpoints - 40 gr, 1050 fps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:15 am 

I grew up with a savage 24...410/22. Fantastic little shooters, but unobtanium these days. I'll have to look at this little badger. Glad it's working out for you...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Keeping it O/U, It would be interesting to see if anyone was using a Savage 42.