Aereus Rex

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Aereus Rex

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:57 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:Me too.

I'm on the fence with the flip ups. Convenient, but mostly in the way when operating. There are scope bikinis made from bungee type elastic bands connecting to caps that contracts farther than those all rubber ones. So you can remove but leave wrapped on the mounts. You can do that with the rubber ones on the smaller Micro and RDS sights but not on scopes.

S&B makes them but I guess they aren't sized for your scope if the S&B guy didn't suggest them.

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/produ ... cover.html
Thanks! I missed those on the S&B site. I bought from Eurooptic, and they didn’t carry the specific Tenebraex covers I was looking for...they carry the correct covers, but not in the matching color, only black.

Gonna shoot ‘em an email to inquire about a special order since they are a registered dealer and Armament co in Canadia apparently doesn’t deign to answer emails from the proletariat. Maybe they can get me a set.

I like those S&B covers too and will try to get those is the Tenebraex deal falls through.

Fun fact, when I was investigating a different S&B scope with a 7.62 specific reticle in this color before I settled on this one, I shot an email to S&B USA with some detailed questions, and within 48 hours had an answer from an engineer in Germany with my answers and the forwarded emal chain!

That was the moment I decided to buy a S&B scope...real customer service, and real answers even though it wasn’t what I was hoping to hear (advertised but not available in that particular combination of reticle and body color). They steered me to Eurooptic and the rest is history... Both great companies who actually respond well to their customers.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 pm

No pics of the R&R but swapped out the stock and installed the trigger last night:

Much mo’ bettah...

Used the gas tube intended for this one on another build, but V7 finally got the mid-length inconel tubes back in stock, ordered last night. Finally found the adjustable gas block I want in stock at a vendor I’ve not heard of before...anyone ever heard of Wing Tactical?

Regardless, will try to get time to mount the scope this weekend and will pull the tube/non-adjustable gas system off Kermit if needed to ops check the rifle.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 am

No, do they have better prices or something?
What AGB are you getting? That is the one thing that took the longest on my last build to get exactly what I wanted for my wish list specs.

Which were:

Micro
Adjustable
Titanium or Stainless.
Set screw mount
Reputable or known manufacturer.
Price.

It was difficult. The manufacturer whose I had planned to use discontinued their stainless model before I got to that point in the build; which I would have preferred to buy from them. So then I had to find another source with those exact specs. Ended up paying quite a bit more than I had budgeted based on the discontinued model.

Can you school me on the inconel gas tubes. The only thing I've ever paid attention to was the finish and/or price. Inconel is what the better suppressor baffles are made from, correct? I may have bought one but didn't know it. Are they more expensive?

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Gas block is from Master of Arms (formerly Next Intent). I have one (NI version) on the 300BLK upper from my “Jimmy” (James) build...really nice but not cheap. Have a couple hundred rounds through that upper and the gas system is working flawlessly...have tuned it a bit, but it runs subs without a can just fine nearly all the way open so I just leave it there. Could close it off a bit when I shoot supersonic, but hardly ever shoot 300 BLK supers anymore...just subs.

Thought I had a better pic but this is the best I can find (in the middle):

Here’s here’s a pic from Ranier Arms where I bought it though:

Pic too large to load but here’s a higher resolution version with the logo: —> click <—

Same part under the new Master of Arms banner was actually a few bucks cheaper at $150 than what I paid a year or so ago for the “old” version, but it looks exactly the same except for the logo...which actually looks better (and better executed) than the old logo on the previous version:

For the money, I love the 2A Arms titanium gas blocks...super light weight and extremely durable. I needed an adjustable system for this build though and didn’t want to do an adjustable gas key as I’ve done previously. This is the lightest weight yet reliable version I’ve found so far.

Re: the inconel gas tube, it’s the same as any other gas tube (slightly thicker walls), just made from an extremely high temp metal. I’m very familiar with it from my previous work life and believe it’s the perfect material for a gas tube application...wish I’d thought of it myself.

Again, a bit pricey though. Double what you’d pay for a quality name-brand tube, or 3-4x what you’ll pay for a no-name ebay gas tube. ~$70 from V7 if you don’t get the 10% .mil discount. Well worth it though IMHO.

Buy once, cry once.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:43 pm

My gas tubes are in the $20 range. But I'm sold. There's a YTer that ran a full auto lower with a cheap AR upper until it failed, the whole time he's saying the gas tube is going to go, the gas tube is going to go, but the barrel failed first, and I'm sure it was a no name $16 tube on the upper because the video was about how long a cheap upper could run at full auto.

found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cr9e3N6HEw

That gas block you're using looks like it clamps AND has a set screw. I've never used an adjustable gas key. They seem harder to adj. Every time you need to make a tweak you have to remove the BCG [after its cooled]?? If I had to think of the best way to use them would be to have a different BCG tuned for differing ammo for the same rifle, that way you just change the BCG and you don't have to mess up your settings on your AGB. But that's expensive.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?rout ... uct_id=496
This is the gas block I went with, as you can see its up there too. Wanted it adjustable for the suppressor. And I like that you can adjust it without having to loosen/tighten a set screw, just # of clicks. But this one hasn't gone thru its paces so all I can say so far is it meets my specs and works.

Was so picky about the AGB because I was going for a silver/black aesthetic within the functional spec requirements of the build; aesthetics which included SS barrel, NiBo BCG, trigger group, pins and buffer tube, titanium gas block but a black nitride gas tube. Everything else is black.

Just a bit of work and $$ to go on this build though. Still need my final optics, BIUS, and tweaking the light position.

Was looking at that Trijicon 1.5x 16mm prismatic. I want a 1x prismatic but can't find anything I like in my price range. Specs: Prismatic with a large CQB circle and small dot with a BDC also, 20-30mm, 1x, ~$500. There's a bunch of 3x's that do that but none in 1x that I have found.

Have to build/buy/shoot within my monthly gun fund allowance. Which is tiny. :lol:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Nice gun Mac

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Gas block got here quick, so I went ahead and installed the gas system after work...

Standard technique (for me) with an old pair of hemostats to hold the pin and Knipex pliers to press it in:

Slide it on to check alignment; scribed a line with a pencil since this barrel doesn’t have a dimple:

Clears the charging handle with no problem:

A bit hard to see, but the screw used to close off the gas port will sit with ~2 threads out at full open:

With the set screw on the side locked down:

Since I don’t know for sure what my final preferred load will be, I’ll run it wide open for now. Once I settle on a load (likely something pushing a 168gr Sierra Match King), I run it down to fully closed, then open until it cycles the bolt and locks open on an empty mag with no issues.

All buttoned up, the open architecture of this upper should allow for reasonably easy access to the set screw:

...and for gas adjustments of course:

Will try to get the scope mounted tomorrow some time...lots on the agenda already though between the honey-dos and errands, and have to do some work on one of the cars. Will get pics sometime over the weekend though.

Until then...

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Great detailed post on the install.
I use one of those gas block fixtures and the roll pin starter punch now. Bought those after shooting a pin across the room and bending another one using the 'wish I had 3 hands technique'.
Neat pliers, do you switch to a punch at the end to finish it in? Or how do you protect the block?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/67928 ... -10-delrin
Last edited by MacWa77ace on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:...Neat pliers, do you switch to a punch at the end to finish it?
Yes... and usually scuff or scratch the block a bit if I’m not super careful. Luckily, scratches don’t bother me one bit...freeing as a matter of fact. If it’s not pristine/perfect, I’m not as tempted to baby it at the range or out at the ranch.

I don’t abuse, scratch, or intentionally beat up my weapons, but I don’t baby them either.

That block looks neat...never thought to look for one. I just ordered one to try out on the next build.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:53 pm

How much did the .308 cost you to make?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:19 pm

moab wrote:How much did the .308 cost you to make?
You want the real cost or what I told my wife?

Not cheap... Didn’t keep a log on this one but even knowing it wouldn’t be cheap, I went a bit overboard...and still not finished. Still need to figure out what case this one will get as well as a few other odds and ends. Got a lot of it on sale or with a military discount (or both), but this was basically a spare no expense build, albeit spread out over a couple years.

I could have done some things cheaper, and some more expensive, but I bought the parts I wanted for this build. This isn’t necessarily all inclusive and I’m rounding a bit, but ballpark:

Receiver set: $630
Geisele trigger: $180 on sale
Grip: swapped from another build but $30
Rail: $220
Stock/butt pad: $220
Arisaka QD sling mounts: $60
Buffer/spring: $50
Titanium BCG: $400
V7 guts: pins, catches, end plate, etc.: lot$...call it $300
Faxon barrel: used a coupon, etc. to basically get it free, but retail was $250
Master of Arms adjustable gas block: $150
V7 inconel gas tube: $60
Muzzle device: usually run a direct thread can but bought an AAC 51T: $80
Griffin BUIS: $100
Scope mount: $100
Scope (+ caps still on the way): $3,000
Mags plus new shingle for the .308 mags (won’t fit in current rig): $200

Cerakote (including 6 magazines painted to match): $300

Sling TBD but $75 or so
Case TBD + custom water jet-cut foam, cleaning kit, etc.: $300

So, ~$3,700 in the rifle plus accoutrements, and another $3K in glass... Not cheap for sure, but nowhere near as expensive of some builds I’ve seen, and a lot cheaper than some of the shotguns I see in my trap & skeet club.

Hope I can do her justice when I get her in the field...

Recent pic from last night...can’t seem to get home from work before dark lately:

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 am

91Eunozs wrote:
:rofl: A while ago she saw a no name AR at Walmart for $450, assumes all ARs cost that much. And so she thinks because I'm building it it's less than that. I may have mentioned something to the effect in answering the 'why build it?' question. It's my gun fund. She also saw the stamp on a suppressor once and assumed that the suppressor cost $200 :roll: I didn't correct that assumption either.

I saw a $275 rifle sling that does the same thing that the quick adj 2 point slings do for ~$50. I'll try to find the link because I think it may be a 'must have' for your build.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:59 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:
:rofl: A while ago she saw a no name AR at Walmart for $450, assumes all ARs cost that much. And so she thinks because I'm building it it's less than that. I may have mentioned something to the effect in answering the 'why build it?' question. It's my gun fund. She also saw the stamp on a suppressor once and assumed that the suppressor cost $200 :roll: I didn't correct that assumption either.

I saw a $275 rifle sling that does the same thing that the quick adj 2 point slings do for ~$50. I'll try to find the link because I think it may be a 'must have' for your build.
Isn't that what Paypals for? To hide money from your wife? lmao!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:17 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:...I saw a $275 rifle sling that does the same thing that the quick adj 2 point slings do for ~$50. I'll try to find the link because I think it may be a 'must have' for your build.

...but whatevs.

Finally home instead of at work while the sun’s out, so a couple pics:

..and a better pic of the “twins”

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:46 pm

Finally had time to get this one on paper before a true zero out at the ranch. Nothing dramatic on the sighting in.

Didn’t adjust the scope since this was only at 25 yards and I’ll need to adjust the scope anyway, but wanted to see the POI shift w/a supressor mounted; POA was the vertical hash mark between the 7 and 8 on the target. 20-round group:

No issues at all with relatively slow aimed fire, but I did have a couple stovepipes when doing a couple mag dumps, especially when suppressed (sorry, no pics). Likely over gassed (block is full open) but since I was on an indoor range wasn’t watching where the brass was hitting..bouncing off the stall wall anyway. I’ll likely need to play with the buffer weight as well before this runs like a top. It runs well, just not 100% yet.

Such is the challenge with building a custom AR10 with parts from several manufacturers.

Great learning opportunity!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:42 pm

This one is almost ready to get out to the ranch for a proper breaking in and sighting in at the 200 yard bench. Dialed the gas back a bit and had zero issues unsuppressed...two 30-rd mag dumps no problem.

However, when shooting suppressed again, I started to get fte malfunctions every three rounds or so. Finally had a failure I couldn’t clear until I got home:

Exractor is tearing the lip off the case...

I’ve been shooting cheap lacquered steel-case ammo up until now and it looks like enough lacquer transferred to the chamber to cause some issues when I switched to 7.62 vs. .308 ammo...and the chamber’s likely a little tight to begin with. Add in me only swabbing the bore/chamber the last time I shot, plus the added back pressure from the can, along with the adjustable gas block still open a bit too much (probably), and the result is stuck cases when the longer throat/neck expands when fired. Exacerbated by insufficient lock up time from the BCG due to it being over gassed.

Regardless, bore and chamber were well scrubbed after I popped out the stuck case with a dowel... it popped right out with no effort thank God. Next time I’ll run some premium .308 through it after dialing another 1/2 turn or so out of the gas block (close it 1/2 turn or so).

I was able to get a decent(ish) unsupported 10-rd group if you discount my obvious breath control issues:

Additional holes were from one of the mag dumps.

Until next time...

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu May 03, 2018 4:57 pm

:ohdear:

I think you're going to have to tune it for a specific ammo. and then only shoot that ammo. not brand name necessarily but, bullet weight and load as in NATO or 308. BUT...

I haven't read back thru this thread but didn't you use a 'spare' bolt to check headspace? Or was that the 556 from the James thread?
Should you check the headspace using the gun's actual bolt with the extractor removed? you may be too tight with that bolt. What HS gauge did you use again, NATO or 308?

And lock up is instantaneous. It's not making sense to me that overgassing would jam a cartridge to tight into the chamber is all. Which the extractor may pull some out with a torn lip until it doesn't.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun May 06, 2018 12:17 pm

MacWa77ace wrote::ohdear:

I think you're going to have to tune it for a specific ammo. and then only shoot that ammo. not brand name necessarily but, bullet weight and load as in NATO or 308. BUT...

I haven't read back thru this thread but didn't you use a 'spare' bolt to check headspace? Or was that the 556 from the James thread?
Should you check the headspace using the gun's actual bolt with the extractor removed? you may be too tight with that bolt. What HS gauge did you use again, NATO or 308?

And lock up is instantaneous. It's not making sense to me that overgassing would jam a cartridge to tight into the chamber is all. Which the extractor may pull some out with a torn lip until it doesn't.
Thanks...and concur re: final “tune” on gas/ammo/buffer combo, I’ll be using a very specific setup for this rifle. I checked headspace with a friend’s .308 gauge set and the actual bolt in this rifle; barrel has a .308 chamber.

The jamming was from shooting lacquered steel case ammo with insufficient cleaning between range sessions. Was using it for these initial function tests because I have a ton left over from some old stockpiles...typically only shoot that in bolt guns though.

Re: my comments on over gassing, what I was trying to say is that the overgassing was exacerbating my problem. The setting I initially dialed in on my adjustable gas block was causing the bolt carrier group to cycle way too fast, causing double feeds since the extraction was slowed a bit due to the laquer build up. Gas issue was especially pronounced before I increased spring rate and buffer weight.

Getting pretty close to the right combo now...though I will likely try a super light buffer setup at some point, and just dial the gas down a little more after I make a final ammo choice.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Mystery solved!

At least I think so...will know for sure when I go back to the range mañana. I cleaned the bore and chamber again this morning and lubed everything up real nice, but was again having fte failures every few rounds. Didn’t seem to matter what I did with the gas block (except when I closed it off of course). I’d go several rounds with no issues, then get a fte malfunction.

So I came home, grabbed all the buffer and spring combinations I own for a rifle length .308 tube, cleaned the ever-lovin’ crap out of the chamber again and went back to the range. Same problems, regardless of the gas/buffer/spring combo I was using...and again, no rhyme or reason for the failures. Seemed completely random.

Then I actually looked at the head stap of one of the cases with the lip torn off:

10 internet points to the first person who can tell me what that circle with the cross means!

That’s right! NATO ammunition..meaning 7.62x51mm. Very close to .308, but not exact. I somehow got some 7.62x51 mixed in with my bulk/reloaded .308 ammo. Lower loading pressures in general, so no real safety issues (unless it doesn’t go into battery of course), but the longer throat was causing the cases to get stuck.

You can see the burnishing on the case ~ 2mm lip from the lip where the case was sticking as the case ran out of throat:

I don’t have a set of go/no-go gauges here and the buddy who owns the set I borrowed when I first built this rifle is out of town, but I did grab my modified .308 case from my reloading gear and it drops in and out like buttah...same with some new .308 rounds. The 7.62x51 definitely sticks going in...and if I seat the round by releasing the bolt, I have to tap it out with a dowel. Not sticking much, literally just takes sliding the dowel down the barrel...the momentum from the dowel alone is almost enough to pop it out, but there’s enough stiction that when I don’t have the gas set just right it either sticks (not enough gas) or rips the lip off the case (too much gas).

Will segregate that ammo and reattempt tomorrow. Finger’s crossed!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun May 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Success?

Went in and put 3 rounds downrange. Two in the x-ring and one flyer low/left...guess my proclivity to not get my finger square on the trigger is creeping back in...pushing the barrel left while pulling the trigger. Must need more range time!

Regardless, no apparent issues so let’s proceed!

Loaded up 10 rounds and did a mag dump...no issues! Hooray!

Then screwed the can on and did another 10-rd mag dump. Had one malfunction 7-rounds in where the case being ejected didn’t quite make it out of the port before the next round tried to feed, but it definitely was extracted from the chamber...was 1/2 way out the port door facing backwards with the next round jammed up under it (sorry, no pic of the malfunction).

Almost like I’m under gassed, but that shouldn’t be happening when suppressed...potentially running too heavy a spring now or I guess it’s possible I had one round with a light powder charge; will continue to trouble shoot. Getting closer with this one and happy to see no case lips ripped like before.

The adventure continues!

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 am

Well this is interesting about steel case ammo getting stuck. Just posted to Firearms chat #5 so maybe you already saw it.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=120622&view=unread#p2701981

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass- ... ased-ammo/
Beyond these differences, though, is it possible that extraction of Tula – and possibly other ammo – could be made easier by adjusting the pressure curve? A clever test conducted by the US Army’s TACOM and presented at NDIA in 2003 may have the answer. Titled “Understanding Extractor Lift in the M16 Family of Weapons,” the test concluded that the extractor lifts off the rim of the case during initial rearward travel, but that residual chamber pressure holds the case against the bolt face until the extractor returns to the case rim.

In other words, if there are pressure curve issues, case extraction – made slightly more difficult by the steel case – becomes questionable, as the extractor may not return to place in time to pull the case out of the chamber. While a drop in Tula’s chamber pressure at the appropriate time is not observed, it is possible that the location of the gauge is not ideal for reading pressures against the bolt face.

We know from the rise time and gas port data that the powder does burn too fast for the system, so it is quite likely that this is a contributing factor to the rate of extraction failures.
We found no evidence to back up the claim that lacquer coatings melt in the chamber and cause extraction failures.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 17, 2018 9:03 pm

^ thanks for that...hadn’t considered extractor float as a potential issue. I’d think the adjustable gas block would mitigate that, but will have to ponder it a bit.

I had considered the few incomplete extractions as a potential ejector issue though. Eyeballing a KAK industries dual ejector bolt for the next paycheck.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri May 18, 2018 7:54 am

Did you notice what they said about the lacquer coated ammo? No effect.
And Steelcase ammo, gets stuck. But nothing at the rate you were suffering.

The other thing is the powder burn curve.

According to the article the powder burn on the ammo tested was 'fast' [except federal]. That causes a higher initial acceleration on the bolt at the moment of discharge which can cause extractor issues. Again since the burn is fast, the pressure at the gas port is lower on the ammo tested [except federal] so if you're adjusting down on your AGB, then the pressure can get to low to function and extract properly. Double wammy.

Are you still testing with the 'cheap' ammo. I'd definitely go to .308 new factory quality ammo and see if that makes a difference. Lose the 762 and steelcase until tuned.
It's funny, I use that exact Federal FMJ 55gr ammo they tested all the time. It's my cheap ammo, but not my least expensive :wink: as I buy it in 100 rnd bricks not in bulk. And never have an issue with it either. The less expensive ammo I buy in bulk, but I consider it better quality. All brass case copper coated lead core boat tail yada yada.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri May 18, 2018 6:58 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:Did you notice what they said about the lacquer coated ammo? No effect.
And Steelcase ammo, gets stuck. But nothing at the rate you were suffering.

The other thing is the powder burn curve.

According to the article the powder burn on the ammo tested was 'fast' [except federal]. That causes a higher initial acceleration on the bolt at the moment of discharge which can cause extractor issues. Again since the burn is fast, the pressure at the gas port is lower on the ammo tested [except federal] so if you're adjusting down on your AGB, then the pressure can get to low to function and extract properly. Double wammy.

Are you still testing with the 'cheap' ammo. I'd definitely go to .308 new factory quality ammo and see if that makes a difference. Lose the 762 and steelcase until tuned.
It's funny, I use that exact Federal FMJ 55gr ammo they tested all the time. It's my cheap ammo, but not my least expensive :wink: as I buy it in 100 rnd bricks not in bulk. And never have an issue with it either. The less expensive ammo I buy in bulk, but I consider it better quality. All brass case copper coated lead core boat tail yada yada.
The steel case stuff I was shooting was .308 (think it was Monarch, not TUL, but now can’t recall), and I didn’t notice too many malfunction with that...though there were a few. I initially attributed the other failures (that turned out to be all 7.62x51 rounds) to what I thought was a gummed up chamber...sounds like there’s a fair chance it’s a combination of issues but not sure there’s a direct correlation between the 5.56 ammo tested vs. the .308/7.62x51 I’m working through here.

Regardless, I had pretty good luck last time and have some fresh .308, including more steel case, to test this weekend if I have time (company picnic and daughter’s band concert tomorrow, church and company Sunday)...will post results.

Thanks again for the continued input/ideas...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”