It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aereus Rex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:18 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

So, as alluded to in the 3-gun build thread I've had an AR-10 build in the works and have been slowly accumulating parts for well over a year now... I pre-ordered a specific lower serial # and it's finally inbound!

Have some of the parts already in place and confirmed w/my Cerakoter that they can paint scopes as well so this one will roll out quickly now that the receivers are on the way.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Aereus Rex
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:12 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Woot!

Receivers are in...was able to run to my LGS over lunch (literally around the corner from work) to do the transfer:

And here's what I've accumulated so far for this build:

2A Arms Xanthos large frame receiver set
2A Arms hollow titanium .308 takedown pins
2A Arms Xanthos 15" rail
2A Arms .750" titanium gas block
V7 inconel mid-length gas tube
V7 5/8-24 thread protector
V7 titanium mag release
V7 ambi selector with titanium core
V7 tool steel bolt catch
V7 ultralight AR10 port door and door rod
V7 AR10 charging handle
V7 titanium AR10 firing pin
Ergo swift grip (originally on the "James" build)
V7 titanium grip screw
V7 titanium buffer retainer
Battle Arms Development Sabretube buffer tube/end plate/butt stock (also originally on the "James" build)
Aero Precision 30mm ultralight scope mount - already Cerakoted in battleworn burnt bronze
Griffon Industries offset BUIS

Have 3 mags so far...will pick up more soon.

Still need:
Faxon 16" lightweight profile .308 barrel; midlength gas
Geissele or another Elftman trigger...I like the Elftman in this one's little brother 3-gun build, but I'm still partial to Geissele 2-stage triggers
Bolt Carrier Group (haven't decided on brand yet, but leaning towards something lightweight)
Scope; waiting to see if there's enough in the budget for a Leupold Mk4

Also need to see if there's any kind of option for a pad on that BAD buttstock...it'll be fine for a few rounds, but that metal plate's gonna beat the crap out me with any extended range time.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by 91Eunozs on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Need to be in early for work mañana so I'm hittin' the hay, but I did a quick chassis assembly to get a feel for the LOP and weight.

Pleasantly surprised...

Under 3# with the takedown pins, grip and grip screw, mag release, charging handle, the scope mount and a 10-rd mag. Another 1.8# for the barrel, 12oz or so for the BCG, maybe 1# more in guts and lube, BUIS, and the buffer assembly. Altogether, she should be right around 6# without a scope.

More to follow...

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:42 pm 

That sabertube is pretty interesting.

Do you think the whole thing will kick much when you're finished with it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

quazi wrote:

Depends on a number of factors, but plan to mitigate recoil primarily via an adjustable gas key on the BCG vs. an adjustable gas block.

Will likely run a lightweight BCG and try to make a it work with a carbine weight buffer. Lowering the reciprocating mass makes a big difference in felt recoil.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:06 pm 

I love your focus and tactical patience with these build threads. I simply don't think I have what it takes to do a build over a one or two year period.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:20 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
I love your focus and tactical patience with these build threads. I simply don't think I have what it takes to do a build over a one or two year period.

Heck you didn't even finish the story of the drunken Irish wagon driver, much less building a gun over many months. I've been irritable and restless just wondering how that story was resolved. :oh: Did paddy Mac Drunkard end up in jail ? Did you have to fix the fender? Is there a wagon load of Japanese tourist still stranded on the side of the road ? AND WHAT ABOUT THE HORSE ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 pm 

flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Heck you didn't even finish the story of the drunken Irish wagon driver, much less building a gun over many months. I've been irritable and restless just wondering how that story was resolved. :oh: Did paddy Mac Drunkard end up in jail ? Did you have to fix the fender? Is there a wagon load of Japanese tourist still stranded on the side of the road ? AND WHAT ABOUT THE HORSE ?

The horse got away Scott Free. The rest is still pending.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:39 pm 

91Eunozs wrote:
quazi wrote:

Depends on a number of factors, but plan to mitigate recoil primarily via an adjustable gas key on the BCG vs. an adjustable gas block.

Will likely run a lightweight BCG and try to make a it work with a carbine weight buffer. Lowering the reciprocating mass makes a big difference in felt recoil.

This is it. plus a muzzle break. 3" are allowed in 3gun. I'm wondering if anyone makes a tuned buffer spring to work with the lighter BCG and buffer.

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:36 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Stercutus wrote:

:lol:

I don't know that it's a focus so much as barely contained OCD! That and a VERY understanding and supportive wife who keeps me from going too far over the cliff.

I did the same thing when I was into racing bicycles many years ago, then motorcycles and cars...I had to become an expert and understand every nuance of my chosen path, and spent too much money trying different variations and iterations of builds. I still dabble in those sports, but frankly don't have the time to do them justice. I still instruct for local clubs when I have time and maintain my membership at our local track (think country club, but with a 2-mile road course instead of a golf course). Cool thing about this place is that when we shut down the track at 18:00, we break out our rifles and plink from the back patio of the clubhouse down on the 100 and 200 yard ranges we set up in the infield!

Every time I think I'm doing well enough to truly retire, and need more motivation to put in another year or three in the rat race I take a walk through the on site garages to look at the "investments" some of the other club members have parked there. Drool worthy....

Got to do some laps against this one last weekend...the Ford GT, not the Spec Miata

...though I used to race Miatas, and finally learned how to steer with something other than my right foot!

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Last edited by 91Eunozs on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Stercutus wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

OK...where is this story?!?!

I remember "If God Wills It"...great story btw...but where's this tale of drunken Irish wagon drivers?

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:41 am 

91Eunozs wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

OK...where is this story?!?!

I remember "If God Wills It"...great story btw...but where's this tale of drunken Irish wagon drivers?

Ahh I dunno I started searching stercutus's posts for the thread, but he posts so much crazy crap , I just gave up.

ETA.. That was umm my post history crazy crap I was checking.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:41 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Parts are back from the Cerakoter... First order of business was to remount the Aimpoint/Fortis mount on this one's little brother.

And a quick glamor shot of the "twins"...

So the AR-15 version is officially complete except for the case and a few other minor accoutrements, and still need a BCG, barrel, trigger and a scope for the .308 AR-10... Getting there.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:29 pm 

Burnishing/ageing looks great.

Let us know how the cerakote holds up on your rock scratch testing.

I just realized. That tiny stock on a 308?!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Yeah, I laid them against that rock veeeeery gently... looked like I picked up a couple scratches anyway, but it was just rock dust. Rubbed right off.

And yeah, been almost dreading that first test/sighting in session. Have a backup already in place in case that sabretube and stock is too much (too little?) to take with a .308 round. Basically a rifle-length version of the Smoke Composites cf stock on the other rifle. If I do that, I'll transfer the sabretube over to one of the ranch rifles...

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:03 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Almost there...

As mentioned in another thread, I cashed in a gift card I received for buying a scope, and scored a barrel for under $30 out of pocket: On sale for $195 -$150 gift card, minus my .mil discount and minus the Cyber Monday sale discount.

It all arrived today; Leupold VX6 1-6 with fireplex (with custom dial for my .308 ammo of choice), and a 16” Faxon pencil profile .308 barrel.

Took the hand guard off and mounted the barrel:

And put the rest of the upper parts in. Haven’t tested with go/no-go gauges yet, but the bolt locks in to the barrel extension nicely.

Then lapped the scope rings before mounting the scope:

Already have the trigger and a few other odds and ends to wrap this one up soon, but since I used the gas block intended for this build on a different upper, I still need to grab one...adjustable since the gas port on this one is .080” ...I like to start at .070 and work my way up until it no longer short strokes with range ammo and the standard buffer/spring assembly I intend for a given build, but this is my 1st AR-10 build so I don’t have a great baseline yet.

Coming together, but I definitely need to put on a stock with a longer LOP; likely the rifle-length Smoke Composites cf stock to match this one’s little brother.

Have to grind down one of our patios in preparation for some tile work next week, but after that gonna go see a local guy who my wife met at a farmers/craft market today about building a custom wooden case or two... More to follow.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:38 pm 

They should give you a free gun with that scope. I like that its a 30mm. :mrgreen:

Interesting; what the heck is going on with that barrel nut? Is it shim-less or something? Does it work with std barrel nut wrench?

Uhmm, so a $30 barrel with a $1300 scope? :shock: Nice score on the Faxon. Buy discount barrels all day long for under thirty dollars from Bentbarrels.com

What do you have planned on the muzzle?

IRRC you're gifting that whole shebang?!?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Barrel nut uses a crowfoot wrench (1-5/8” IIRC) on the flats just ahead of the tube slots.

Have a thread protector (no device) on the muzzle right now, but depending on the can (I pretty much only shoot suppressed to save what little hearing I have left), mount an AAC flashider (you can see one on the bench in the last pic under the pink-handled scissors) or just thread the can on with an adapter.

Re: how long it stays in my gun safe or goes to my nephew, I’m gonna use this one at a week-long training session with my son down in Nevada this coming Spring and go from there. If it shoots as well as I hope, it’ll likely stay!

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote: