Chiappa Pak 9 SBR build

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Slugg

Chiappa Pak 9 SBR build

Post by Slugg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:08 am

I've been checking out the Chiappa PAK 9 for an SBR type build. What has me interested is that you can pick this up for less than $500 with a Glock adapter from Atlantic Arms. You can then put the Sig AK brace on it and have a carbine that takes 9mm Glock mags. Then, I can do my ATF paperwork to throw on a front grip and shoulder it however I want. Depending how much I like it from there I can thread the barrel and put a can on it to protect me ears. If I get to that point it will probably end up as a home defense weapon that saves my hearing.

Are there any competitively priced firearms out there that are comparable to this?

Here is a link to what I'm planning to put together to start with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R9t5Zge45w
The future is for those who prepare.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Chiappa Pak 9 SBR build

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:25 am

I was looking at them cuz I like AKs and I like Pistol Cal Carbines. My local shop has one for $450 without the adapter for Glocks. Regardless, it seemed really well built but HEAVY! I'm talking, like my AK74 might be lighter. Since it's got a heavy blowback bolt on an AK rifle receiver, it is a chunk of steel.

I was looking at some "PDW" style weapons a lil bit ago, and I like the PAK-9 but getting a brace on it will knock the price up to an AR9 pistol. And if you're going expensive, might as well go CZ Scorpion.

As far as shouldering a brace, you can do that now thanks to the new ambiguous ATF papers... at least for now.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:39 am

Curious, nothing against the Chiappa, but for that price why not like a PSA 9mm carbine? get the lower/upper from them and you put on a sig brace and do the same stuff with the SBR build. Not trying to knock your build, just thoughts to something different.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:45 pm

I would certainly recommend SBRing a Glock over that. With a long slide and extended barrel you could get the same velocity, shave about 4lbs off the gun, better one-handed use, shorter OAL, more aftermarket support, and by snapping off the stock you would have a handgun.

something like this:
https://suarezinternational.com/persona ... or-glocks/
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:53 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:I would certainly recommend SBRing a Glock over that. With a long slide and extended barrel you could get the same velocity, shave about 4lbs off the gun, better one-handed use, shorter OAL, more aftermarket support, and by snapping off the stock you would have a handgun.

something like this:
As much as I love my CZ EVO and ATI AR15 9mm "pistols", Suarez's Glock PDW kit makes a heck of a lot of sense if you already have a G1-3 Glock. I'm almost tempted to pick up a Glock 17 (G3) to put one of these together. It does look like it's best used with an RMR given the proximity to the rear of the pistol when "cheeked".

ROCK6

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:21 pm

ROCK6 wrote:
As much as I love my CZ EVO and ATI AR15 9mm "pistols", Suarez's Glock PDW kit makes a heck of a lot of sense if you already have a G1-3 Glock. I'm almost tempted to pick up a Glock 17 (G3) to put one of these together. It does look like it's best used with an RMR given the proximity to the rear of the pistol when "cheeked".

ROCK6
No doubt, I used my brother's Endo'd G17 a few weekends ago and the front sight just floated in the rear notch and was embarrassingly hard to group. I have an aimpoint micro mounted on my G17 and am hopefully rounding out my PDW soon with an Endo and shockwave.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:I would certainly recommend SBRing a Glock over that. With a long slide and extended barrel you could get the same velocity, shave about 4lbs off the gun, better one-handed use, shorter OAL, more aftermarket support, and by snapping off the stock you would have a handgun.

something like this:
Thank you, I had no idea these existed. This is something I'll do my research on and might try out. Going off what Jeeper Creeper stated, can this now be shouldered too with this new ATF change?

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:27 pm

It can until it can't.

Anything involving the ATF is just a crapshoot (further muddied by every keyboard commando offering free legal council like me), the facts as I understand it:

1) don't be an idiot

2) even if the ATF gives a total thumbs up on a setup, that letter of approval only applies to that exact gun. They can receive a question about and identical arrangement and give a totally different ruling and both are law even thought they contradict each other. It is pretty much a complete case by case basis.

3) The ONLY time (that I can find) a pistol-thats-actually-an-SBR has come up in court was when said pistol was used in an armed robbery and the illegal SBR thing was just charge number 362.

Know where your local law enforcement stands, don't show it off to everyone, and don't post a bunch of pictures of yourself shouldering it online and we can probably go on living in this wonderful grey area for much longer. Your local law enforcement is who has to believe that it is an OK setup (and it will only come up if they see it) and I think a lot of these brace companies ship them with the ATF letter of approval that wouldn't hurt to keep on it. also said law enforcement would have to actually see you shoulder it, so just having the gun assembled is not a problem in itself. Total hearsay that I hate to repeat, but I have been told that you are only obliged to show NFA paperwork to a federal agent (presumably a BATF agent only) anyway, and local law enforcement would have to track one down if they wanted to make an issue out of it anyhoo. Of course what a police officer is allowed to do doesn't always limit what they do; rule one always applies.

Me personally I'm not worried the tiniest bit, but I still use the wink/nod language online and would be cautious at public ranges with such a setup.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:11 am

That last part of your post is my problem. I go to a range that is run by DNR so there are DNR staff present at all hours. They are pretty strict about most safety rules which is ok with me. Some rules they are overly strict on are things such as firing faster than 1 round per second. I have a friend locally with the land but no range yet. I'm thinking that once I get it I'll bring it to them and see how they feel about it.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:51 pm

I think it is always wise to be cautious, especially at public ranges. For me personally I would consider just not ever taking it and depending on lots of dry fire practice at home until you can find private land to practice on. The wonderful thing about the glock PDW though is that you can practice all you want with the parent handgun without anyone giving you a second glance.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”