Weight of various rimfire cartridges, grams per cartridge

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Weight of various rimfire cartridges, grams per cartridge

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun May 28, 2017 8:04 pm

As measured by my digital kitchen scale, ten cartridges measured at a time, result divided by 10 to derive average cartridge weight.

.22 rimfire short: Winchester 29 grain lead bullet = 2.5 grams (or 182 rounds per pound)

.22 rimfire long rifle: CCI Mini Mag 40 grain plated bullet = 3.4 grams (or 133 rounds per pound)

.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire: CCI Maxi Mag 40 grain jacketed bullet = 4.0 grams (or 113 rounds per pound)

.17 Winchester Magnum Rimfire: CCI A17 17 grain poly-tip bullet = 2.6 grams (or 175 rounds per pound)

(For reference, Federal .223 55 grain FMJ = 11.8 grams or 38 rounds per pound)
Last edited by gunsandrockets on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Weight of various rimfire cartridges, grams per cartridg

Post by Halfapint » Sun May 28, 2017 8:37 pm

since you have one in handguns and one in longarms. Why not separate them between handgun calibers and file calibers? would be and interesting chart to have.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Sun May 28, 2017 8:49 pm

The weight is one of the things that really got my interested in .17 HMR. Even the 20 grain game points and solids weight less than .22 lr while packing a lot more of a punch and shooting a lot flatter. I picked up a Savage A17 and it's pretty much replaced my 10/22 as my rimfire of choice.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:58 am

Halfapint wrote:since you have one in handguns and one in longarms. Why not separate them between handgun calibers and file calibers? would be and interesting chart to have.
How to categorize cartridges is not simple. Most rimfire cartridges can be used in handguns too. Likewise many centerfire pistol cartridges can be fired in rifles or carbines or SMG. I decided to group them according to the most common type of firearm they were used in. So the rimfire cartridges went into the long-gun forum.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”