Ambidextrous (or left handed) inexpensive semi auto?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jitterypillow

Ambidextrous (or left handed) inexpensive semi auto?

Post by jitterypillow » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi, all. Been a while.

I don't know a whole lot about rifles, but I want to learn. I would like to get a good, solid, inexpensive rifle to learn with. I know that learning on a .22lr would be smart, but I don't want the only rifle I have to be a less than effective defensive round.

As an added complication, I'm a southpaw, but everyone else in my family (who I would eventually like to also learn about the rifle), are righties, so I would prefer something ambidextrous. Semi-automatic is also preferable.

So... suggestions?
"And zombies-- where the fuck are all the zombies? That's the trouble with zombies; they're unreliable. I say if you're going to buy the angel bullshit you might as well go for the zombie package as well."

"Pacifism is a nice idea, but it can get ya killed. Evolution is slow; smallpox is fast."

-- George Carlin

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: Ambidextrous (or left handed) inexpensive semi auto?

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Some Bullpups eject either from the front or from the bottom , they are expensive unfortunately( FN2000 off the top of my head). Some bullpups can be easily switched for right or left hand use . The Berreta ARX comes to mind but they are also expensive. How set are you on semi auto is the question. I might recommend a 1894 style lever action as they eject from the top and can be found in calibers from .22 to 45-70.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:17 pm

It seems to me the SKS can be shot left handed. I know the AR and AK can be shot left handed.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Gristle McThornBody

Post by Gristle McThornBody » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 pm

AR's can be shot left handed quite comfortably (unless you get a 'slick-side' upper without the shell deflector), and you can also find left-handed ars that eject out the left side, Stag Arms comes to mind but I'm sure there are others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Luthifer wrote:
davidt1 wrote: I like to carry my things discreetly. I don't want to look like an electrician or someone like that.
I have often feared being mistaken for an electrician. Sometimes, people ask me to rewire their breaker panels FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:05 pm

I know the Beretta Storm is completely reversible controls wise, though I haven't looked up their pricing in a while. There are left handed AR's made (Stag Arms) but I've run right handed AR's left handed no problem.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm a southpaw.

I will buy ambi controls for a gun, but I refuse to buy a lefthanded gun. It means proprietary parts, it makes it harder to loan to my friends, and makes it harder to shoot my friends guns that I borrow. I have yet to find a gun that I simply can't shoot (I haven't shot a bullpup, but many of those are ambi), you usually just have to be mindful of your thumbs.

I find I prefer to shoot right handed guns as a rule, being able to easily see into the chamber is nice, operating the charing handle is often easier, and it encourages always wearing eyepro.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:21 am

An off the wall question but are you also left eye dominant?

I ask because that may also have a bearing on your choice if your eye sight is not left eye dominant.

Also what kind of budget do you consider inexpensive?

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:44 am

Inexpensive, ambidextrous, semi-auto centerfire rifle? That's a tough one.

It's not inexpensive, but the .30 caliber M1 rifle is pretty ambidextrous.

It's not semi-auto, but top-ejection lever action rifles are also very ambidextrous.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

jitterypillow

Post by jitterypillow » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:54 am

Yes, I am left eye dominant. Inexpensive to me is no more than 800, preferably around 4-500, though I'm certain I won't be that lucky.
"And zombies-- where the fuck are all the zombies? That's the trouble with zombies; they're unreliable. I say if you're going to buy the angel bullshit you might as well go for the zombie package as well."

"Pacifism is a nice idea, but it can get ya killed. Evolution is slow; smallpox is fast."

-- George Carlin

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:24 am

As mentioned there are several top ejecting rifles like the
the Garand or with similar action like the Ruger Mini 14, M 1 carbine and M1a1. Only the Ruger though would fit that price range.

Personally I would suggest a left handed AR 15 upper and the when finances permit buy a right handed upper for the rest of the family.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Yeah, for ambidextrous, semi-auto centerfire rifle, not much more than $800, a Ruger Mini-14, or Ranch Rifle, or Mini-30 is your best bet. Ruger made those rifles in a surprising number of calibers, such as .222 and 6.8mm, but only currently produced in 5.56mm, .300 blackout and 7.62x39mm.

MSRP for the Mini-14 is a lot more than $800, but used ones are out there for much less (but beware of early models which have accuracy problems!), and the big retail chain sporting goods stores have regular sales of Mini-14 so you can spend less than $800 if you are patient.

There is a lot to recommend a Mini-14 for a novice shooter. It is easy to field strip, easy to clean, and simple to operate. And so far the Mini14 is still legal even in most of those States which have the most restrictive laws regulating rifles, such as Commiefornia.

I would buy one of the so-called Tactical models, which has a 16 inch long barrel and threaded muzzle with factory installed flash-suppressor (and even legal in Commiefornia if used with a 10 round magazine and muzzle brake). Stainless is nice too, but costs more.
Last edited by gunsandrockets on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:49 pm

As a left eye dominant southpaw I would recommend a ordinary run of the mill ar-15 / m-4gery. It shoots fine for lefties (use your trigger finger for the safety ). I did install an ambidextrous safety, but I am so used to a "regular" AR that I don't use it . As a side note, most lever guns are lefty friendly as are S&W M&P pistols (they have an ambi slide release).

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Agree with Holger,
Except that I use my thumb for the safety. Left hand thumb sits on the safety when carrying it, flicks safety down and moves to a regular grip after the first shot. Been doing it for years, no issues.
I don't have any ambi controls on my AR because I've just shot a standard AR for a long time and haven't personally needed it. You might do some thing differently as a southpaw though, most of which are easier to show than explain.

jitterypillow

Post by jitterypillow » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Awesome info. Thanks, everyone.

-- George Carlin

JFire

Post by JFire » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:21 pm

From a fellow lefty just shoot right handed guns. Its a pita to find lefty models. Although you can sometimes find great deals on used lefty guns.

The only gun i really want left handed is the AR.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

AK49er
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by AK49er » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:47 am

As a cross dominate (left eye / right hand):

AR-15 - BCM ambi charging handle, Troy ambi mag release, and a Magpul BAD lever with a standard right hand upper with brass-defector = good to go. Use trigger finger for safety. Slickside (non-brass deflector) uppers brass will hit your shoulder or right cheek.
AK - works well lefty.
VZ-58 / VZ-2008 - works extremely well lefty, safety is at your thumb, use trigger finger to hit mag release.
Mini-14 / Mini-30 works well lefty
SKS - works about as well lefty as it does right except for the safety.
M1 Carbine / M1 Garand / M1A - works fine lefty, just watch your support hand thumb doesn't catch the op rod.
G3 / HK91 / PTR91 / MP5 clone - terrible charging handle for lefty, do not recommend. Brass ejection is fine.
Sub-2000 - Not recommended, lots of crap and gas comes out of ejection port and hits you in the face shooting lefty.
Sig MPX - Not recommended, gas and some debris comes out of ejection port and hits you in the face shooting lefty. Not nearly as bad as Sub-2K
AmirMortal wrote:I like the idea of spare ammo storage in those holes, but it would be more appealing if I wouldn't have to remove my butt pad.
Oneswunk wrote:Im going to come up with tactical yam powder... Millions I will make. :lol: :lol:

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:40 pm

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/634960016

Not semi-auto or a rifle, but may be of interest to you.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”