Thinking about a 30-30

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thinking about a 30-30

Post by Smash05 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:16 am

It would be my "go anywhere" rifle. I have a 44 mag lever gun, but a 30-30 is a real rifle cartridge, and ammo is cheaper actually. Thoughts? Marlin or Mossberg?
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

Dooms

Re: Thinking about a 30-30

Post by Dooms » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:32 am

I have a Marlin 336Y Spikehorn (the short 16.5" model) and, while it's a great rifle, it kinda sits in the safe. Instead I reach for the Mini-30. 7.62x39 hunting loads are close enough to .30-30 that they can handle the same game. Both hold 5+1 rounds (flush mag), but the Ruger can also take 20 round mags. With the semi-auto action there's no worry of short stroking the lever or slow follow-up shots. They both weigh about the same. The Ruger is a bit longer (18.5" barrel), but I think they now make a ~16" barrel version.

Basically, I see the Mini-30 as a more modern version of my old .30-30. It's more expensive, but I also feel it's more versatile if you're looking for kind of a "do-all" rifle.

The other thought that kind of swayed me is the size and weight of the .30-30 cartridge. I was looking at one next to 7mm-08 and .308 cartridges one day and realized, if I'm carrying that big of cartridge, I'd much rather have one of those two over the .30-30.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 am

I have to disagree with the above poster. I own a 1980's Marlin 30-30 CS and a Ruger Mini-14. Both are fine rifles. If you plan to hunt deer size game at 150-180 yards or less the Marlin 30-30 will be fine. If because of terrain you require longer shots I would say buy a bolt action rifle. The mini-30 in my experience at the range does not feed cheap ammo at all. If you buy top of the line then it will work but then it's even more expensive than Walmart 30-30 Remington Cor-lock. As far as Mossberg vs Marlin you are comparing top ejection 1894 style (mossberg) to Marlin side ejection. This only matters if you plan to use a scope as top ejection can cause problems with a scope. MY advice if you choose Marlin buy used from 1950-1989 before Cerebus Capital Group bought them and fired all the skilled workers, or choose top ejection but sans scope.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:04 pm

If you need a 30 cal semi auto rifle, I'd suggest an AR in 7.62x39. I was surprised at how accurate mine was with Tula. You will get the occasional, i'm shooting crappy ammo flier, though. However, I like 30-30. I like the $11-$14 a box price for shelf ammo. It's super easy to reload and easy to duplicate factory loads. 30-30 in a 20" rifle is a solid 200 yard shooter. With practice and familiarity 30-30 is a solid 250 yard shoot. I never could figure out when 30-30 lost all that range and became a 100 yard rifle.... With off the shelf 150 gr Round Nose ammo, 2 inch high at 100 is 8.5 inches low at 250. 308 Win shooting 150 gr ammo with the same zero is 8.5 inches down at 300 yard. Shooters will take the 300 yard with the 308 any time and claim the 30-30 is a maxed out 175 yard gun. I really don't understand that.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:27 pm

brothaman wrote:If you need a 30 cal semi auto rifle, I'd suggest an AR in 7.62x39. I was surprised at how accurate mine was with Tula. You will get the occasional, i'm shooting crappy ammo flier, though. However, I like 30-30. I like the $11-$14 a box price for shelf ammo. It's super easy to reload and easy to duplicate factory loads. 30-30 in a 20" rifle is a solid 200 yard shooter. With practice and familiarity 30-30 is a solid 250 yard shoot. I never could figure out when 30-30 lost all that range and became a 100 yard rifle.... With off the shelf 150 gr Round Nose ammo, 2 inch high at 100 is 8.5 inches low at 250. 308 Win shooting 150 gr ammo with the same zero is 8.5 inches down at 300 yard. Shooters will take the 300 yard with the 308 any time and claim the 30-30 is a maxed out 175 yard gun. I really don't understand that.
I own an SKS and Garand. I see them as combat rifles, and not "go anywhere" rifles. I want a self defense/survival rifle be legal just about anywhere rifle.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:41 am

Marlin vs Mossberg in 30-30? Pick the Marlin.

Go-anywhere survival/self-defense rifle? Seems like your .44 would function just fine for that job.

My question is why do you think you need to 'step up' to the 30-30 for that job? Do you need longer range? More power?

For self-defense the .44 gives you more shots than the 30-30 before you have to reload. For survival the .44 gives you a broader selection of specialized ammunition than 30-30, such as the .44 CCI shotshells (heck you can even load .44 with black powder and lead bullets!).

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... dNo=3718CC

If your heart is set on a more powerful lever-action, have you considered a 45-70 rifle instead of a 30-30? In terms of size and weight there isn't much difference between the two lever-actions but the 45-70 has enough power (at short range) to even cope with dangerous bears.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/marlin ... ll-review/

Since you already own a Garand, perhaps another rifle in 30-06 that is lighter and more politically correct than the Garand would give you what you want from a 30-30, without having to add another caliber to your collection. Perhaps one of the bolt-action "scout rifles"? Another possibility might be one of the old Remington pump-action carbines (18 inch barrel) in 30-06. Used ones aren't expensive.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628378045

For self-defense you could use the Remington Model 7600 30-06 carbine with low-recoil loads and 10 round magazines. And of course with normal loads the 30-06 is very capable of harvesting the largest game animals. You can even get a folding stock for the Remington 7600.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... k?a=678097
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

minengr

Post by minengr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 am

Everyone should own at least one 30-30. Mine happen to be winchester (one from 1920) but Marlin is a good choice too.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:41 am

minengr wrote:Everyone should own at least one 30-30. Mine happen to be winchester (one from 1920) but Marlin is a good choice too.
Agreed. It is very versatile, and a lever rifle is compact and can actually be fired pretty rapidly.

Vash the Stampede

Post by Vash the Stampede » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:36 pm

minengr wrote:Everyone should own at least one 30-30. Mine happen to be winchester (one from 1920) but Marlin is a good choice too.
I'm down with this. Mine are Winchesters as well. Used to have one in 32 Special. Fun, iconic little rifles.
Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:59 am

I have a '74 Glenfield 30-30 from my grandpa. Probably wouldnt buy any new 30-30. Id like a garand, though.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:13 am

What do we REALLY want?

A
1) 50 state legal rifle with
2) access to cheaper ammo than .44 Magnum
3) reliable with all available factory ammo
4) larger capacity magazine than

Your base line rifle is an 1894 Marlin which looks like this:

I think capacity is 9-10 rounds but that depends on barrel length.

Are you also looking to FIGHT with this rifle as well?

I find it... amusing that I now advocate the Ruger Mini series for such purpose. I would consider an AR if the state hadn't fuxxored the legal configuration. I also trained with a Mini-14 and deployed with it for some years.
I appear to have been blessed with one of the few Mini-30s that run Russian steel case, Silver Bear HP and SP. A range session at Mitchell Field earlier this week I ran M67 and Silver Bear. Yugoslav M67 is about the most accurate and effective military ball ammo for the price, and its brass/copper construction makes it GTG at ranges that check the ammo with magnets.

I don't see any price advantage of .30-30 over 7.62x39 when Googling. There are more US made choices due to .30-30's versatility but 7.62x39 has well researched ballistics with several BDC scopes tailored to it. Brass cased, copper soft point/hollow point is available and cheaper in import flavors.
With detachable mags, its a LOT easier to reload than a tube.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm

One of the perks of a lever rifle in a practical scenario is the safety aspect through visual and haptic perception (five dollar word for "touching"). You can see and feel the condition of the gun (due to the rear hammer) faster and more confidently than you can with almost any other style of rifle.

I think hammers are more error proof when it comes to operator accidents and negligence as opposed to engineering design flaws.

When I was hunting hogs with my buddy out of his side-by-side, we had my Remington 700 bolt action in .30-06 and his trapper Winchester .30-30. Anytime we were driving around, I emptied the chamber of my -06 and put it in the bed and rode "door gunner" with his .30-30... round in the chamber but hammer down. Reason being, bouncing around in a small space... like the cab of a vehicle... made the bolt action cumbersome but also dangerous. I was relying on me not bumping that little switch (not very intuitive either... is forward fire? is back fire? I know what it is, but you never have to second guess a hammer) and with Remington's track record with safeties and triggers, I wasn't taking chances. However, with the hammer on the .30-30, I always knew it would not fire, even with a round in the chamber, with the hammer down... as long as I didn't smack it off a rock.

Kinda like how a single action revolver is "safer" than a cocked and locked 1911... all things being equal.

I think that's why so many people pick lever guns for "ranch and utility guns" because they are small, handy, reliable, and I love the hammer feature.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:23 pm

That's a good point Jeeper. I tend to stray towards hammer fired handguns for the same reason. The hammer just gives me a little more piece of mind.

I believe ( could be wrong) I read that lever guns and pump actions with the tube loaded and no round in the chamber do not constitute carrying a loaded weapon ( in your vehicle) where as if you have a magazine fed rifle the magazines have to kept unloaded and seperate from the ammo ( in states where such things matter, my state doesn't care :D )
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

hornetguy

Post by hornetguy » Tue May 16, 2017 7:45 am

I've been wanting (not needing) a levergun in 3030 for a while now. It's been a bunch of years since my last one, and I've always liked them.

My problem is, every time I think about scraping the money together, I look at my SKS. I've had it since the 80's... a Norinco that cost all of $99, IIRC. It has never failed to go bang.... never. It is reasonably accurate, groups around 2" at 50yds with open sights. I have tried various optics on it, but have found that I'm almost as accurate with the open sights as I am with a red dot, or low power scope. So why hassle with the optics?

I've taken two small (125-ish) hogs with it, using Federal Premium softpoints, and have come to the conclusion that the 123gr bullet is just a little light for deer/hogs. It kills em ok, just not quite as decisively as I like. I have since switched to the 154gr softpoints, which, surprisingly, print to almost the same point of impact as the lighter ones.

For what I'd use it for, the SKS is a better solution. More capacity, actually feels a little lighter, but haven't weighed them to see... perhaps not quite as accurate, but practically so. Ammo is actually a little cheaper, I think, and I have absolute confidence in it. The 154gr chronos at around 2100fps, IIRC, and the 3030 150gr is, what, about 2250? When you compare the flat/round nose required for the 3030 against the pointed softpoint of the SKS, the ballistics are likely just about a wash.

moab

Post by moab » Sat May 20, 2017 6:06 pm

I've had a 30-30 since I was a child. Handed down from my grandfather to my father to me. I don't know of any application where a lever action would be preferable. Except for maybe wild west reenactment. So many better choices in semi auto out there. Just my humble opinion. but to each there own. You have to make a noise every time you load a round. Not very stealth. Limited capacity. Heavy. Good round though.

I think I would go for something magazine fed. Hell a garand would be better. At least you get 10 shots before you hear the ping.

I got mine for deer hunting. Which they are great for. I guess. I'd prefer something lighter myself.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 21, 2017 2:15 pm

moab wrote:
I think I would go for something magazine fed. Hell a garand would be better. At least you get 10 shots before you hear the ping.

I got mine for deer hunting. Which they are great for. I guess. I'd prefer something lighter myself.
I have never seen a ten round, magazine fed, clip ejecting Garand. I'd think it be a first.

We have a few lever guns around here. I have Win94, my son has a Marlin 336C and the wife has Marlin in 35 Remington. 35s never really caught in the US, not sure why. I like the 336C the best.

It was made in 80s when Marlin was making a bunch of commemorative guns. It has some nice engraving in the receiver. It shoots about 2MOA. It will kill the deer and the hogs DRT. I think I paid around $265 for the gun in 90% condition IIRC around 20 months ago. It came with a cheaper Busnell scope and rings attached. The kid loves it. My only complaint was that the loading port cover came loose and I had to Loctite it in. When it was loose the gun would not feed properly.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun May 21, 2017 2:53 pm

The Twizzler wrote:That's a good point Jeeper. I tend to stray towards hammer fired handguns for the same reason. The hammer just gives me a little more piece of mind.

I believe ( could be wrong) I read that lever guns and pump actions with the tube loaded and no round in the chamber do not constitute carrying a loaded weapon ( in your vehicle) where as if you have a magazine fed rifle the magazines have to kept unloaded and seperate from the ammo ( in states where such things matter, my state doesn't care :D )
That sounds like a "varies by state" thing. Here in Nebraska we cannot carry a shotgun loaded. That means the tube is empty as well as the chamber.

On the other hand, we can carry a pistol or rifle loaded, both mag and tube fed. The shotgun stuff has to do with bird hunting regulations probably.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”