Thinking to build a cheap bumpfire AR

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

redcabeca

Thinking to build a cheap bumpfire AR

Post by redcabeca » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

So, I'm thinking I'd like to build an AR. I'm familiar with the weapon but don't have much experience with various brands. I've built one other with an Anderson lower and an SAA upper (wasn't happy with SAA). I don't really intend to do anything but plink with it. I'm basically building it to be a slidefire-equipped bullet hose.

So if I want to build or buy a very cheap AR that won't choke on steel-cased ammo, what brand of upper/lower should I look at? I want something very reliable. Doesn't have to be any more accurate than about 4 MOA.

Anybody use a polymer lower for this kind of thing? I was thinking to just build on another Anderson, but looks like I could save $50 using a complete plumcrazy lower. Not sure about the durability of something like that.

Also just planning to use irons, so an upper that has them already would be good.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Thinking to build a cheap bumpfire AR

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:12 pm

I always go with Palmetto State Armory. There are so many companies that do uppers anymore, and I'm starting to figure out what specs are best, and I always find PSA to be the best bang for buck. I have 3 from PSA (low grade, mid grade, high grade) and nothing but great things to say from all across the price range. I've used Anderson and Spikes lowers, and didn't notice a difference in quality on either.

http://palmettostatearmory.com

For a bullet hose, barrel will be most important:

If you're gonna be dumping ammo, def stay away from stainless barrels. PSA has their FN made CHF "machine gun steel" barrels on sale every few weeks if you want a really good barrel. But I'd aim for at least 4150 (over 4140) steel with nitride/melonite over phosphate finish... but phosphate isn't bad. Chrome lined is good for mag dumps, but I'm not really a fan of it... I'd rather have nitride.

Bolt Carrier Group is kinda important after the barrel:

My favorite finish for the the BCG is probably Nitride, because it is a metal treatment. Nickel Boron BCGs can be really good, but if the treatment is bad they can chip off. Nitride is a hardened metal treatment that affects the composition, so it is more permanent. Phosphate, like the barrels, are considered "base model".

Normally, the price grade for steel finish is (low to high):
1. phosphate
2. nitride/melonite
3. nickel boron

For steel of the bolt, go with 158 carpenter steel over 9130. Both are good, but 158 is considered more consistent. 8620 is low grade, and should be for carriers, but not bolts IMO since 158 and 9130 are most common.

Gas system length shouldn't matter:

Carbine is good. Midlength is considered "better" for 5.56 to be softer and still reliable. But I dunno, Carbine might spit out the brass more violent, which might help if you're dumping ammo.

But I dunno, this is just ranting and you may know most of this already. Plus, I'm no expert so someone might dispute this.

I'd just go with cheap, and look for good stuff as a bonus if the price is right.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:18 pm

Quick search, here's an upper that I like for the price taht you can plug and play.

Please note, PSA goes through their stock so fast and have "daily deals" so you pretty much have to check their stuff daily.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-c ... cg-ch.html
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:23 pm

I would stick with a non polymer lower for this, especially if you plan to do something like a slide-fire stock, I'm not sure the polymer can handle the stresses, but I could very well be wrong.
Another vote for PSA, I have a 16" midlength and just ordered a 10.5" pistol from them.

Edit: I know you said you just plan to use irons, but I would make sure you could still put an optic on there just in case you want to in the future. Not really a problem with most current ARs though, so it's a moot point

redcabeca

Post by redcabeca » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks, guys. Looks like PSA is the way to go. I really like the look of that one upper... comes with rear sight and I like the forearm. Does it make much difference that it isn't chrome-lined?

Looks like it would total about $500 after tax&stuff if I get this to go with it: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-1 ... azine.html

$650 after the silly stock. I doubt I'll see anything more economical than that. Honestly, though, this is more of an "If I get this new job I can afford it in a month" thing. I can dream! We'll see by March. If I do get it, I'll report back on how it handles cheap ammo and bump firing.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Honestly, chrome lining seems to have died away. I think people are seeing other finishes being more accurate and just as durable. Only a few expensive rifles seem to be chrome lined. Besides, you aren't shooting corrosive ammo in 5.56 so I wouldn't pay for it.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 am

Anybody use a polymer lower for this kind of thing? I was thinking to just build on another Anderson, but looks like I could save $50 using a complete plumcrazy lower. Not sure about the durability of something like that.
had a polymer lower, very happy that the timing worked out so I could make a profit on selling it. it allowed me to bind the buffer when how I was holding the rifle. so every round I had to loosen my hold on the rifle to get the buffer to return the bolt to battery.
with that much flex, and running a slide fire, I thing it would fail much sooner that a aluminum lower.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:49 pm

redcabeca wrote:Thanks, guys. Looks like PSA is the way to go. I really like the look of that one upper... comes with rear sight and I like the forearm. Does it make much difference that it isn't chrome-lined?

Looks like it would total about $500 after tax&stuff if I get this to go with it: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-1 ... azine.html

$650 after the silly stock. I doubt I'll see anything more economical than that. Honestly, though, this is more of an "If I get this new job I can afford it in a month" thing. I can dream! We'll see by March. If I do get it, I'll report back on how it handles cheap ammo and bump firing.
Both of my ARs are melonited, haven't seen any difference between it and chrome lining. I don't bench rest shoot, so I don't see the effects chrome lining would have on my accuracy. Data seems to back up that meloniting is as good as chrome.

redcabeca

Post by redcabeca » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Cool. I'll go with a melonite bore, then... but I think I want a chromed BCG. I imagine they're easier to clean (don't know if that's true). At any rate I know I like the look of them. All will be shiny and chrome in Valhalla.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:30 pm

redcabeca wrote:Cool. I'll go with a melonite bore, then... but I think I want a chromed BCG. I imagine they're easier to clean (don't know if that's true). At any rate I know I like the look of them. All will be shiny and chrome in Valhalla.
I thought it would be wood or fur and stained with beer? :awesome:

redcabeca

Post by redcabeca » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:01 am

ManInBlack316 wrote:
redcabeca wrote:Cool. I'll go with a melonite bore, then... but I think I want a chromed BCG. I imagine they're easier to clean (don't know if that's true). At any rate I know I like the look of them. All will be shiny and chrome in Valhalla.
I thought it would be wood or fur and stained with beer? :awesome:
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhm-4kDBhio[/YouTube]

Not if Immortan Joe sends you. Have you not seen that? You should watch it.

VTPATRIOT

Post by VTPATRIOT » Sat May 13, 2017 3:38 am

aside from barrels. coatings, linings etc

I tried one of these bump fire stocks and thought it was a waste of ammo & $$$

there is noting wrong with semi
“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”
― Edward Abbey

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat May 13, 2017 7:36 pm

the only thing I would say is my Anderson lower REALLY does not like cheap pmags. but my spikes will take anything.

But I'll vote for PSA as well. My 300bo upper is theirs and it works fantastic. Thinking of buying a couple others just to have laying around because they are cheap and work great.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Halfapint wrote:the only thing I would say is my Anderson lower REALLY does not like cheap pmags. but my spikes will take anything.

But I'll vote for PSA as well. My 300bo upper is theirs and it works fantastic. Thinking of buying a couple others just to have laying around because they are cheap and work great.
Curious, what's the issue with the Pmags?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 15, 2017 4:27 pm

VTPATRIOT wrote:aside from barrels. coatings, linings etc

I tried one of these bump fire stocks and thought it was a waste of ammo & $$$

there is noting wrong with semi
I agree. However if I were to put one on I would put it on one of my AR-10s. Since I can't buy a M240 that would be the next best thing I suppose.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 15, 2017 5:43 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:
Halfapint wrote:the only thing I would say is my Anderson lower REALLY does not like cheap pmags. but my spikes will take anything.

Curious, what's the issue with the Pmags?
Regular pmags from magpul zero issue. I got some cheap ones and they seem to be to tall and the bolt kept catching on it. wouldn't feed, and wouldn't lock into the lower so they would fall out as well.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Hokicake
BANNED

Post by Hokicake » Mon May 15, 2017 5:49 pm

i want to do this! will someone tell me what I need to order? I want a selection so I can choose the parts I like. I'll order like 1 part a month if they are gonna cost like hundreds of dollars. tell me tell me tell me tell me!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon May 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Hokicake wrote:i want to do this! will someone tell me what I need to order? I want a selection so I can choose the parts I like. I'll order like 1 part a month if they are gonna cost like hundreds of dollars. tell me tell me tell me tell me!
I can't believe I'm gonna reply seriously to this, but here goes:

Here's the simple basics. You need to buy a lower receiver. That's the part that is serialized and needs to go through an FFL like a normal gun. It can either be "stripped" or "complete". If you make a "stripped" innuendo, I'm blocking you.

So here's the basic recipe list as short as I can make it:

EXAMPLE 1:
-stripped lower receiver
-lower parts kit
-Upper (without bolt carrier group and charging handle)
-BCG and CH (as missing above)

EXAMPLE 2:
-Complete lower receiver
-complete upper

Buy all your shit from palmetto state for you first build and figure it out later.

Hokicake
BANNED

Post by Hokicake » Mon May 15, 2017 7:15 pm

so whats the website? and why that company? is it cheaper getting it stripped and getting the parts separate?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon May 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Hokicake wrote:so whats the website? and why that company? is it cheaper getting it stripped and getting the parts separate?
Palmetto State Armory. Use google. It's literally the name with a "dot com".

Palmetto State Armory (PSA for short) is known for good stuff at cheap prices. You generally can't beat them for quality at their price range. It's possible, but for your first rodeo, just order from them to make it easy. Once you find what you want or if you want ultra premium, then you can pick more.

I have 3 from PSA, and all 3 builds are awesome for what I paid.

As of now, it's cheaper to get complete parts than separate parts. But new complete rifles are around $400-500 now so you gotta shop around and find out what you wanna pay.

Hokicake
BANNED

Post by Hokicake » Mon May 15, 2017 7:23 pm

what if I want this?
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... r+Receiver

and could I get these insides for it to turn it alive?
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... s+Kit+5.56
Last edited by Hokicake on Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon May 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Complete lower $150:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-1 ... azine.html

Compete upper $240:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-16- ... 40176.html

Besides FFL fees and a cheap sight/optic from amazon, you got a good base model AR15 for $390

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon May 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Hokicake wrote:what if I want this?
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... r+Receiver

and could I get these insides for it to turn it alive?
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... s+Kit+5.56
That lower is probably garbage.

Anderson makes good stuff if you need a parts kit.

Hokicake
BANNED

Post by Hokicake » Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 pm

well that seems tooooooooooooooo cheap and not very fun! all you do is plug the upper and lower together and done? I'm gonna be board again before you know it. I was thinking it could be a longer project that two months. I'll get stripped then.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”