Sights for a Ruger 10/22 Take down?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:30 pm

I recently got one and it has a small piece of picatinny rail on the receiver for an optic but I'd also like the option for backup sights or a non battery powered option. The only thing I can think of is a scope of some sort but that doesn't make close distance shots easy. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: this firearm comes stock with zero sights whatsoever. Nada, zip, zilch.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dutch253 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Sights for a Ruger 10/22 Take down?

Post by raptor » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:12 pm

The factory sights on my 10/22 are good enough for my uses up to 75 yards. That said fiber optic front sights are available and IMO always a good investment.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:22 pm

Hey Everyone:

What are fiber optic sights?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Hey Everyone:

What are fiber optic sights?
Fiber optic sights are typically sights that have a little piece of either green or red plastic on them that gather light and make it easier to see said sights. They're kind of like tritium night sights, but without the glowing radioactive stuff.

Search either Tru-Glo or Hi-viz and you'll see what I mean.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Raptor & Chimp:

Thank you.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:39 pm

A much cheaper option is to buy some high color nail polish and paint your sight. They make all kinds , even glow in the dark. It's way cheaper than to buy new sights.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:49 am

So the model I have is the heavy threaded barrel. There are no sights whatsoever on the firearm. You can see a picture here:
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Taked ... 21133.html

"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:07 am

With no offense meant to anyone here, there are other forums that address specificity. RIMFIRECENTRAL, as an example, has multiple threads about 10/22 Take-down sights and optics. I use .22LR quite a bit. I think optics on a takedown .22 is a preference of the user; it is not much called for...
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Dutch253

Post by Dutch253 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:42 am

Asymetryczna wrote:With no offense meant to anyone here, there are other forums that address specificity. RIMFIRECENTRAL, as an example, has multiple threads about 10/22 Take-down sights and optics. I use .22LR quite a bit. I think optics on a takedown .22 is a preference of the user; it is not much called for...
In this case it's a necessity, if you have no optics you have no way of aiming.....pretty sure I found the thread on rimfirecentral you were referencing. That guy was heavily modifying his rifle, carving down the stock, dovetailing the receiver etc. I'm not a gunsmith so that's a bit extreme for me.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:24 am

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Dutch253

Post by Dutch253 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Ah ha! I knew there had to be options out there, thank you! The rear sight options are very nice, I may see if I can get a gunsmith to dovetail for the front though.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:12 pm

I would really recommend either getting a small red dot sight like one from Primary Arms, or selling/trading this for a 10/22 that has integrated iron sights. Getting smithing done sounds like the hard/expensive way to get what you are after, and there are many paths to failure.

Option B would be to see if you can just find the ruger takedown barrel with the integrated front sight.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Dutch253

Post by Dutch253 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:48 am

RonnyRonin wrote:I would really recommend either getting a small red dot sight like one from Primary Arms, or selling/trading this for a 10/22 that has integrated iron sights. Getting smithing done sounds like the hard/expensive way to get what you are after, and there are many paths to failure.

Option B would be to see if you can just find the ruger takedown barrel with the integrated front sight.
I already have a red dot. I was looking for a backup option. No way would I trade this gun, it's near perfect. I may just get a scope for to have a battery free option.

JFire

Post by JFire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:18 am

Google Sweet .22 probably the best .22 lr scope for your dollar.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Mrselfdestruct

Post by Mrselfdestruct » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

I dont have the heavy barrel version, but i had enough trouble keeping zero on my kids takedown that i ditched the scope idea completely. Not an option without irons.
Seems like a scout mount on the barrel might work better, but the idea of seperating the scope from the barrel daily was bad idea.
"In the absence of orders, go find something, and kill it." -Rommel

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:00 am

Late reply but have you looked at Tactical Solutions?

I bought a takedown when they first came out and didn't offer a threaded barrel...I'm more interested in the version with the fixed barrel shroud (legal SBR-length barrel and shroud for a can), but this looks like it may be a good answer for your situation:

http://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-serie ... 2-takedown

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:13 pm

I don't know anything about suppressors, but that barrel looks good.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”