The Double Unicorn

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

The Double Unicorn

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:08 pm

After 4 years, my son's rifle is pretty much complete... And since his HS colors are Blue, black, and white, I dyed all the Magpul furniture Denim Blue to match. Their mascot is a Unicorn (seriously), hence the name.

Finally got around to getting the foam in the Pelican case I bought last year for Christmas custom water-jet cut for this combo, so I thought I'd post some pics.

Don't mind the fingerprints ... will get better pics mañana when it's not raining outside.

- Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group lower. This lower and its twin on my daughter's rifle "Pinky" were the first gun parts I bought when we moved back to the US back in 2012...bought them on a group buy here on ZS, and had them shipped to an FFL in my home town down in FL before we even had a house here in the US!

- ALG trigger
- Seekins ambi selector
- miscellaneous mil spec lower springs/pins/screws
- Magpul grip and trigger guard
- BCM buffer tube, H1 buffer/carbine spring
- Noveske QD mount end plate
- Magpul CTR butt stock

5.56 upper:
- PSA upper receiver and 10.5" carbine gas 1/7" twist barrel
- AAC 51T flash hider
- Magpul hand guard and stubby vertical grip
- Magpul MBUS
- Eotech 512 red dot

300BLK upper (originally on my old "Bonnie Blue" pistol build):
- Ranier Arms upper receiver
- CMMG 8" pistol gas 1/8" twist barrel
- AAC 51T flash hider
- 12.5" Carbon Arms hand guard
- backup low watt red/white LED I picked up last year to try it out...will replace w/a normal white light I can use on either upper.
- Eotech XPS2 red dot with 300BLK reticle

AAC 762 SDN-6 supressor under the hand guard...also used on the 5.56 upper, or pretty much any of my .308 and smaller caliber rifles/uppers w/an AAC 51T mount.

Both uppers use the same Vltor/BCM charge handle and BCM bolt carrier group for now...have others but all in use in other builds right now.

Other: Husky Amentum sling and 6 Magpul (use these for 5.56) mags (only one shown here) also dyed blue to match. Have 6 blue Lancer mags for 300BLK...can obviously use either mag, but I like to keep the different calibers in different brand mags for the tactile/plainly obvious difference as a backup to a visual inspection when I switch uppers.

- Otis multi-caliber cleaning kit

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Re: The Double Unicorn

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:37 am

Did you say you were adopting still?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:17 am

Stercutus wrote:Did you say you were adopting still?
Depends... you out of med school yet? :lol:

Seriously though, not as much $$ tied up in this build as you'd think and in the case of this rifle, spread out over 4 years with various iterations of parts making their way into several builds. I also do most of the work myself which helps a lot.

That said, I've already retired from one successful career and was fortunate enough to marry a very smart CPA almost 30 years ago who has us in a place where we're comfortable. We live below our means, and I also found gainful post-retirement employment, at least for a few years, so I'm using the opportunity with this extra income to put my family in a place where we have all the bases covered...with the resources and tools necessary to be comfortable regardless of what goes down in the comng years. A healthy firearms collection is but one of those tools.

Growing up in poverty (at last the American version of poverty), taught me a lot of lessons. Among my circle of friends growing up I was one of the very few to make it out of our situation...most are either dead or in prison. I was literally a homeless teenager before I decided to join the military, and then was noticed on some testing for academic potential and got picked up to go to the AF Academy. The rest is history.

Only 1/2 joking on the med school thing... We're fortunate enough to be in a position to help out here and there and I volunteer a lot with a couple charities here in our community. I also swore that if I ever found a kid in my circumstances, I'd find a way to help. One of my son's best friends is a kid a lot like I was...very poor and coming from a rough home situation (his deadbeat dad just got out of prison). He has a great heart though and doing very well academically despite the deck stacked against him. We take him with us on family vacations to expose him to a life outside his little world and help him out wherever we can. When traveling I often introduce him as my son...

I do have a long-term ulterior motive though! That kid is in the top 10 (not 10%...top 10) of his class and wants to be a cardiologist... So maybe that adoption out of med school isn't the impossible dream after all! 8-)
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Huskey sling is the bomb!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Yes. At last, at last, American Poverty. :lol: . Just kidding, nice gun.

91Eunozs wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Did you say you were adopting still?

Growing up in poverty (at last the American version of poverty), taught me a lot of lessons. Among my circle of friends growing up I was one of the very few to make it out of our situation...most are either dead or in prison. I was literally a homeless teenager before I decided to join the military, and then was noticed on some testing for academic potential and got picked up to go to the AF Academy. The rest is history.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”