Free-float forend interchangeability

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Free-float forend interchangeability

Post by nyarlotep » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:24 am

I'm new to ARs, and I was wondering, do most/all free-float forends use the same type of mount base, that replaces the delta ring, so someone could swap out just the quad rail, like you could with the non-free-float style, or does each brand/model have its own... size, or thread pitch, or whatever, of mounting hardware, that you'd need to install? I'm basically wondering how much of a PITA it would be to swap in a quad rail for the one the AR I'm getting comes with.

Thanks!
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

Frank

Re: Free-float forend interchangeability

Post by Frank » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:25 am

Most higher-end tubes use proprietary barrel nuts (BCM, Noveske, Geiselle, MI)

A few mid level companies make their tubes to work with the stock barrel nuts like Troy, this is said to decrease the stability of the platform, but they generally receive positive reviews as long as you can torque and loctite to spec.

Other companies have drop in rail systems that will work with with the front sight post and the standard delta ring/spring assembly
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the info. The AR I'm getting comes with a free-float forend, which only has rail along the top; I wanted the option of a bipod or donkey-dick for it, and was looking into putting on a quad rail.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:35 pm

nyarlotep wrote:Ok, good to know. Thanks for the info. The AR I'm getting comes with a free-float forend, which only has rail along the top; I wanted the option of a bipod or donkey-dick for it, and was looking into putting on a quad rail.
Most handguards produced lately only have the top rail...cheese graters are going the way of the dodo.

Most (probably all...can't think of one without) have provisions via Keymod, MLOK or some proprietary system to add rail sections or attachment points where you need them though.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”