Huldra 5.56 piston upper Project

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Huldra 5.56 piston upper Project

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:19 am

I picked up a Huldra Arms Mid Length Piston upper chambered in 5.56 for about 450 bucks on Gunbroker.

I have never dealt with a piston AR except for an Osprey 416 kit I came across a few years ago.
I have been curious about a proper piston set up, so I jumped on this deal to give it a shot.

Since I purchased this upper, the seller has upped the price to 475.
In a separate post I have included the link to this auction if anyone is interested.

I got the upper this morning. So far it is a great deal.

The piston is from Adam Arms with the Huldra brand on it.
The Barrel is a VooDoo Innovations government profile in 5.56

The Piston is properly pinned to the Barrel, which is good because I hate clamp on gas blocks.

The handguard cap is a triangle type, which is bad because I wanted to try a Magpul Slim Line handguard on it.
I now have to go with the standard MOE handguard or change out the cap to a round one.

My rant for the day:
I know triangle caps are standard on Mid Length Uppers...but why?
Its not like they are converting Vietnam M16 parts kits here.
These are new builds, put a damn round cap on it!

Another bad is the cheap handguard.
Thin plastic with the upper heat shield missing.

Final bad is the receiver finish.
Its a flat black (Almost like paint)
So far it does not match my spikes lowers, my Anderson lowers, or my rainier lowers

I will need to remount the barrel unless I want a franken gun look on my hands.

Summary: It is a good deal even at 475 dollars.
The Barrel and Piston alone are worth the money.

Pros:
Good Barrel
Good Piston

Cons:
Finish on the receiver
The handguards
The triangle handguard cap

Once I get this to the range, I'll make the final decision on if I want to make this a full rifle or sell it off.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Huldra 5.56 piston upper Project

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:28 am

I mounted some sights to the Huldra upper and slapped it on a Spike's lower to give it a test drive.

This is a 10 round sight in from a bench at 25 yards,
followed by 2 magazines of 25 rounds rapid fire at 25 yards from the kneeling

Pretty happy with the accuracy
The balance of the upper with the magpul fixed carbine stock was good.

The recoil was very sharp and heavy for a 5.56 nato in mid length.
I have a 6.8spc with a carbine length gas system that has less felt recoil

The barrel and gas block heat up real fast.
Better handguards are a must.

Summary: the accuracy and balance over shadow the recoil and heat.
Its a keeper.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Image I've got a Huldra. This one is a 5.45 x 39.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:24 pm

The Huldra's are made for them by Adams Arms. I've got one of those as well, Bud's had it as a complete midlength rifle for $599 and I added a Samson Evo EX9 handguard.

"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:05 pm

ashwednesday wrote:Image I've got a Huldra. This one is a 5.45 x 39.

What lower did you use?
Did the finish match?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:07 pm

ashwednesday wrote:The Huldra's are made for them by Adams Arms. I've got one of those as well, Bud's had it as a complete midlength rifle for $599 and I added a Samson Evo EX9 handguard.

I sorta thought the piston rig looked familiar. I have an Adams kit with a Voodoo barrel, but I used my own upper (Aero) and had a devil of a time timing the gas block to the gas port.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
ashwednesday wrote:The Huldra's are made for them by Adams Arms. I've got one of those as well, Bud's had it as a complete midlength rifle for $599 and I added a Samson Evo EX9 handguard.

I sorta thought the piston rig looked familiar. I have an Adams kit with a Voodoo barrel, but I used my own upper (Aero) and had a devil of a time timing the gas block to the gas port.
Are you talking about widening the gas port or placing the gas block? My gas block is factory pinned in place. I should not have to move it when if I change upper recievers

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Are you talking about widening the gas port or placing the gas block? My gas block is factory pinned in place. I should have to move it when if I change upper recievers
Getting the block aligned over the hole correctly. The hole in the block is big enough for some error, but if you set it too far forward or offset slightly the piston won't do its thing correctly. I almost want to experiment with a lighter BCG and see if that tames the recoil impulse a bit, but at this point it runs and that's plenty. Puts controlled pairs into the t-box at 25 with Wolf. I might try suppressing someday, but for now I have done enough tinkering on it and I'm just going to leave it alone.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Are you talking about widening the gas port or placing the gas block? My gas block is factory pinned in place. I should have to move it when if I change upper recievers
Getting the block aligned over the hole correctly. The hole in the block is big enough for some error, but if you set it too far forward or offset slightly the piston won't do its thing correctly. I almost want to experiment with a lighter BCG and see if that tames the recoil impulse a bit, but at this point it runs and that's plenty. Puts controlled pairs into the t-box at 25 with Wolf. I might try suppressing someday, but for now I have done enough tinkering on it and I'm just going to leave it alone.
I'm good on gas block placement since its pinned like an a2 front sight post.

I want to try vltor a5 Buffer system and tubbs flat wire buffer spring for recoil impulse control. It'll be a 100 dollar upgrade but if it takes the kick it will be worth it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:27 pm

I'd be interwsted to hear how that works. I might kick in for the PWS special snowflake buffer tube someday, but for now I'm just greasing up and keeping an eye out for carrier tilt.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:23 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd be interwsted to hear how that works. I might kick in for the PWS special snowflake buffer tube someday, but for now I'm just greasing up and keeping an eye out for carrier tilt.
I just ordered a colt heavy buffer a tubbs buffer spring. If I need more recoil management I'll go with the a5 tube and H2 vltor buffer

ashwednesday

Post by ashwednesday » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:
ashwednesday wrote:Image I've got a Huldra. This one is a 5.45 x 39.

What lower did you use?
Did the finish match?
I'm not really a stickler for matching the receiver finish. [emoji16] It's on a Palmetto lower. The Adams I bought was a complete rifle, so it matches up. And nothing matches the Adcor BEAR Elite upper I bought back when. I've toyed with buying an Adcor lower one of these days.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:41 pm

I decided to use the barrel and piston for billet build using midwest industries upper and lower. I also want to use magpul's slim line handguard.

Two parts I will need are Adam arms Rod bushing for the upper receiver and the pre cut round handguard cap for the piston (also from adams arms).

Total cost of the parts is 20 bucks...shipping is 17 bucks!
Shipping is stupid expensive at Adams Arms

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:47 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:I decided to use the barrel and piston for billet build using midwest industries upper and lower. I also want to use magpul's slim line handguard.

Two parts I will need are Adam arms Rod bushing for the upper receiver and the pre cut round handguard cap for the piston (also from adams arms).

Total cost of the parts is 20 bucks...shipping is 17 bucks!
Shipping is stupid expensive at Adams Arms
Ok....I ordered 20 dollars of parts (handguard cap and a rod bushing) from adams arms.

I paid 17 bucks for ground shipping for these two items that can easily go USPS for 4 bucks top.

Now I just received an email from Adams Arms that in stock items take up to 10 days to ship!

WTMF!

ashwednesday

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:25 pm

Um, Mills Fleet farm has a sale on just about all of their Huldra products that will make your head spin. I'm looking at a Huldra Evo Slank 14.5" lightweight upper with a Samson Evo9EX handguard for $399 and a complete lower with a VLTOR stock, Falcon Ergo grip and a JP trigger for $259.

ashwednesday

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:57 pm

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd be interwsted to hear how that works. I might kick in for the PWS special snowflake buffer tube someday, but for now I'm just greasing up and keeping an eye out for carrier tilt.
I just ordered a colt heavy buffer a tubbs buffer spring. If I need more recoil management I'll go with the a5 tube and H2 vltor buffer
The tubbs spring caused short strokes.
So I'm going with the heavy buffer and standard spring.
That seems to be the limit for the recoil system

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am

Finally got the Huldra Piston upper project finished.

I married the upper with a Spike’s Crusader lower with Strike industries lower kit and Magpul stealth gray furniture. The front sight was recommended by Adams Arms. It’s a Samson Fixed front sight with a Blitzkrieg chevron front sight post.

Pretty happy with the end rifle. It has good accuracy for amount of money put into the project (Roughly 6 bills). Huldra got some bad press from people using cheap 223 tula ammo in a rifle recoil system tuned for 556 nato, but the upper I got is of good quality.

I had to play with buffer weights and springs to tune it in to fire 223 reliably, but it functions prefect now with a standard spring, heavy buffer, and Midwest industries muzzle device. Recoil is tamed as well.

I recommend the uppers from Huldra if you come across one….just be ready to tune it to the round you plan on using if its not 556 nato,

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”