Stupid short, Ultra light

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Stupid short, Ultra light

Post by hatchtrikk » Tue May 17, 2016 8:29 am

I'm glad to see this place is still the same and especially happy to see some old names. It's been a while. Anywho, here's my favorite recent build:

2A Balios lite upper, lower and rail
Voodoo ultra lite 7.5" bbl
SLR adjustable .625 gas block
WMD Nib BCG
Ariska light mount, light body, tail cap, finger stop and vert grip
V7 takedown pins, castlenut and endplate
LWRC compact stock assembly
BCM grip
Bobro lowrider BUIS
RMR on Larue lower 1/3
ALG trigger
Saker 556k with brake
Ares sling (not pictured)

Under 27" long with suppressor
Just under 4.5lbs without suppressor and under 6lbs suppressed

Basically wanted the shortest, lightest 0-100 yrd, full power rifle. I have an 8'' 300blk barrel waiting to get built as well, but opted to do the 556 first.

It is in no way hearing safe. The can barely makes it bearable and there's still quite a fireball on every 5th shot or so. Recoil is almost nonexistent and it's fun as hell.

Cheers,

Rex

My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Stupid short, Ultra light

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 am

Sweet! And I thought my 10.3" and 10.5" SBRs were fireball machines! There's a reason I typically run that huge 11" long Bowers can on them! :lol:

Never thought to add a finger stop on my "shorties"...though I do almost always wear gloves. Only had to learn that lesson once!

How do you like the Balios lite upper/rail? That's what I have my sights on when I finally get back around to my "James" (s/n xx007) build, except a 12" rail over a 12.5" barrel. Not in a hurry on that particular build since I'm still waiting for that lower's SBR stamp to clear...and the fact that all my firearms discretionary funds (and then some!) lately have been going towards cans and tax stamps before the trust restrictions kick in on 13 July.

BTW, I'll be down in Houston late afternoon next Saturday, at the Silencer Supply Store to file my trust and do the form 4 for a polished titanium Crux Axe-6... Very lightweight suppressor to (mostly) finish off the Pinky build now that it's been SBR'd. Still need to disassemble that one when I swap the 10.3" DD barrel for a stainless lightweight profile 10.5" Odin Works barrel...and get the upper/lower Cerakoted in prison pink to match the Magpul pink furniture and the custom RIT-dyed pink magazines.

That thing will be very pimptastic when complete...all pink and black now, but it'll be pink and stainless/polished titanium with a couple fuschia anodized titanium bits when complete. Don't laugh...my daughter loves it!

And real men shoot pink! :awesome:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Tue May 17, 2016 12:13 pm

The balios is awesome. I love the aesthetics of it, which is why I picked it over the BAD set. For the short rail, I should've gone with keymod as thd mlok doesn't allow for much adjustment. With a 12", you'll be fine with either.

I have a Saker 762 in jail right now that will likely be used anytime I shoot in hopes to tame the fireball and possibly reduce the sound a bit.

Your daughters rifle sounds awesome. I'm excited to see which gun my daughter claims as hers when she's of age.
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dioxin

Post by Dioxin » Wed May 18, 2016 3:12 am

<nitpick>
hatchtrikk wrote:full power rifle.
</nitpick>

You wont be getting full power rounds out of such a short barrel, hence the fireballs.

It might be an idea to tune your loads if you are into reloading.

link of source: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/223rifle.html

Regards
Dio

hatchtrikk

Post by hatchtrikk » Wed May 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Agreed. It's primarily a range toy that should achieve decent terminal ballistics in the 0-100 yard range. My go to is an 11.5" or the 8" blackout when I get around to building it.

clarence

Post by clarence » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:01 pm

My CX4 is at 6lbs and 28" (unsuppressed).

How much does the 9mm from a 16" barrel gives up to the 5.56 from 7.5"?
It's not looting if you leave a note.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:38 am

clarence wrote:My CX4 is at 6lbs and 28" (unsuppressed).

How much does the 9mm from a 16" barrel gives up to the 5.56 from 7.5"?
well, let's go see.
According to a fairly reputable site, Speer 124gr. Gold Dot pops out of a CX4 (they really tested one) at 1354fps. That calculates to 504 ft/lbs of energy on target. (if the target is REALLY close to the end of the barrel)
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Remington 55gr UMC (not the best ammo, but it came up first on my search) runs out of a 6" barrel at 2041fps, and a 8" barrel at 2380. Not entirely scientific, but we can safely guess the velocity out of a 7.5 will be in the neighborhood of 2295fps, for a calculated energy of 643 ft/lbs. (if the target is REALLY close to the end of the barrel)
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/223rifle.html

So there you go! Scientific proof that rifle caliber is better than pistol caliber LOL. The discussion then delves into whether the CX4 (or Sub2k like I have) is still a good choice, considering weight, cost effectiveness, bullet behaviour when it hits squishy things, price per round, ammo commonality with your pistol, price of rice in China, and the like. With all that factored in, ehhh. Buyers choice.

But I would rather not get shot with either one.

ETA: To the OP, 300AAC. You know you want to.

clarence

Post by clarence » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:10 am

Thanks, Mr. Dark.
It's not looting if you leave a note.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”