The Suburban Shotgun: Is it really needed?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: The Suburban Shotgun: Is it really needed?

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Tight a pattern as possible for HD, we are not hunting dove here.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:A wider spread might mean you get one pellet on it in a bad shot, but it might also mean a total miss or a complete vital miss on a good shot.

I'd rather put my money on making good hits than on spray-and-pray tactics.
That makes sense.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:02 pm

A fair chunk of the population is in the pie slice of "not-a-gun-person, but-moving-towards-it".

A lot of that population has minimal experience with firearms, but what experience they have is usually shooting cans and ducks with Pop's Shotgun.

Shotguns and rifles don't have as much of the stigma that pistols and carbines do.

Tactical Ted needs to sell more DVD's.

The current shotgun craze is a product of all of this stuff coming together.

----

In your current situation, I'd agree that you don't NEED a shotgun. If you only use your firearms, for fun and self defense, just stick to what you've got.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:18 am

You always need a scattergun...

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:29 am

Stercutus wrote:Tight a pattern as possible for HD, we are not hunting dove here.
Negative Ghostrider, (wait for it......) the pattern is full. :crazy:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:07 pm

flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Tight a pattern as possible for HD, we are not hunting dove here.
EXcellent!!!

*edited to add contributing content...

If you want a shotgun get one, this is the USA!
If you want one to shoot matches with personally I would get a Benelli M2 in a configuration that works for you (they make some with notch rear and front post sights similar to pistols). I have personally seen the reliability of the platform when under the stress of the clock at matches.
If budget doesnt allow a semi auto I'd get a Benelli Super Nova or Nova pump gun.
I would feel comfortable with either in a HD role if thats what I wanted to use (I don't but I have shotguns for hunting and matches). I can't recommend an 870 anymore due to the nosedive in quality especially when it affects reliability so much. I am also partial to the additional control offered by chokes so the Mossberg combo kit is out since the short 18.5in barrel has no provisions for chokes (not to mention capacity expansion in the platform is a hinderance)

You mentioned renting a room in a townhouse so I might suggest the #4 buckshot route out of a scattergun for HD but any platform or caliber runs into the quote in my sig of penetration vs over penetration... Any round suited to taking on a zombie has the chance of taking on non combatants in the next room.

The key to shotgun for any purpose is practice, like the different sproing sound in your head when the AR runs empty or the rear heavy feel of your pistol when the slide locks back. You have to know your shotgun the same way.
As always the slowest portion of running a shotgun at speed is keeping the tube full so reload practice is key, as well as being real about how you would reload in your undies!
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Tommy Tran wrote:
flybynight wrote:
EXcellent!!!

*edited to add contributing content...

If you want a shotgun get one, this is the USA!
If you want one to shoot matches with personally I would get a Benelli M2 in a configuration that works for you (they make some with notch rear and front post sights similar to pistols). I have personally seen the reliability of the platform when under the stress of the clock at matches.
If budget doesnt allow a semi auto I'd get a Benelli Super Nova or Nova pump gun.
I would feel comfortable with either in a HD role if thats what I wanted to use (I don't but I have shotguns for hunting and matches). I can't recommend an 870 anymore due to the nosedive in quality especially when it affects reliability so much. I am also partial to the additional control offered by chokes so the Mossberg combo kit is out since the short 18.5in barrel has no provisions for chokes (not to mention capacity expansion in the platform is a hinderance)

You mentioned renting a room in a townhouse so I might suggest the #4 buckshot route out of a scattergun for HD but any platform or caliber runs into the quote in my sig of penetration vs over penetration... Any round suited to taking on a zombie has the chance of taking on non combatants in the next room.

The key to shotgun for any purpose is practice, like the different sproing sound in your head when the AR runs empty or the rear heavy feel of your pistol when the slide locks back. You have to know your shotgun the same way.
As always the slowest portion of running a shotgun at speed is keeping the tube full so reload practice is key, as well as being real about how you would reload in your undies!
Which brings up something I've just in the last two days began researching. Seeing as you ( or any other members) are running shotguns in timed matches, what are your opinions on the speed reloaders for shotguns. The ones similar to this

Would a set up like this make sense in real world situations? I'm mostly looking at this for an initial loading of weapon that is stored in unloaded condition. And of course for a fast reload if needed

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:51 pm

If the weapon is unloaded I consider it the same as carrying without a round in the chamber, no go... Arizona does have an unspoken rule about long guns being unloaded while driving so my truck AR is bolt open, port door closed with mag at the ready which is much quicker than any shotgun load not to mention 30rds vs 8-12rds in an open class shotgun.

Personally not for me since I don't shoot open class as I don't consider it 'practical'. Even my shotgunning in tac or tac-scope is on the verge of not practical due to using shot shell strippers on the belt. Although I do use shell strippers/ caddies during dove season here...
The question to ask is are we going to wake to a bump in the night and strap on our preloaded 3gun belt?
I think if I used a shot gun for HD it would be a New York reload, shoot until empty while maneuvering to a rifle or pistol. Dump the shotgun and continue with the rifle or pistol until threat is handled
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Tommy Tran wrote:If the weapon is unloaded I consider it the same as carrying without a round in the chamber, no go... Arizona does have an unspoken rule about long guns being unloaded while driving so my truck AR is bolt open, port door closed with mag at the ready which is much quicker than any shotgun load not to mention 30rds vs 8-12rds in an open class shotgun.

Personally not for me since I don't shoot open class as I don't consider it 'practical'. Even my shotgunning in tac or tac-scope is on the verge of not practical due to using shot shell strippers on the belt. Although I do use shell strippers/ caddies during dove season here...
The question to ask is are we going to wake to a bump in the night and strap on our preloaded 3gun belt?
I think if I used a shot gun for HD it would be a New York reload, shoot until empty while maneuvering to a rifle or pistol. Dump the shotgun and continue with the rifle or pistol until threat is handled
Kansas has the same unspoken rule. Basically it will come down to the specific officer who see's the weapon. HD shotgun is loaded ,chamber empty. But may not be the go to longarm anyway.

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:22 pm

https://youtu.be/FXslwiq9c8I

This to me is more practical and quick... But still slow for what we are discussing defensively... And again, strap on your belt or are you better off slipping on a carrier with mags already on it giving you some ammo and protection?

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”