AR-10's, what to avoid?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

AR-10's, what to avoid?

Post by PistolPete » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:23 pm

There are a lot more AR-10 choices than their used to be, is there anyone making a great product for a good price? Any one to avoid? Did DPMS fix their quality issues with their "gen-2" rifles? Armalite, S&W, Windham, they all seem similarly priced, any to be avoided? Is Daniel Defense worth the price?

Any thoughts, data or experiences are welcome.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Re: AR-10's, what to avoid?

Post by doc savage » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:25 am

I have a DPMS AR-308, and have nothing but good things to say about it. Runs flawlessly with junk wolf ammo, and i'm using PMAG25 gen3 mags without issue. had it about a year now. YMMV

also, even though I have never had any problems with the gun, It still feels fragile in my hands in comparison to my PTR91, though I couldn't tell you why...maybe it's in my head?

edit to add: it's a carbine set-up, receiver is marked LR-308

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:20 am

I have two of the first generation DPMS LR-308s AP4 Models. Both have run flawless for more than ten years. By flawlessly: no jams, feeding problems or any issues with at least 5K rounds down the pipe of each, probably closer 10K on one of them. Neither has required any maintenance.

No issues with erosion or wear that I can tell but I have not torture tested them either. The most rapid fire I have done was (3) 20 round magazines in about 30 seconds just to see how it would hold up. It got good and hot but ran normally. I might be concerned with two hundred rounds rapid fire but I'd be a hell of a lot more concerned with whatever I was shooting at.

One is sub 1 MOA (about 3/4") the other despite my efforts stubbornly runs about 2 MOA.

The more accurate one I have used for hunting at least a dozen times and have taken a number of deer with it. The farthest shot on a deer was about 300 meters where I took a large 7pt buck and a smaller doe. No issues there with the gun, although the buck required two shots due to my inability to properly judge his running speed. This was with an EO Tech with a magnifier. All the others have been one shot affairs. Haven't lost any either.

I can't speak to current production. For both I paid a bit less than (1) DD is priced currently. I guess DD is the cat's pajamas. I'll never know because what I have works well enough.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:59 am

I'm very happy with my M&P-10. Good accuracy, solid build, and enough parts interchangeability to make me happy.

Granted, it's the only AR-10-style rifle I've ever used, so my sample size of one might not say much.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:23 pm

I have owned an Armalite AR-10t since 2003. It seemed like the perfect rifle when I bought it and I like it more now. At first it was a bit ammo sensitive and this turned into a persistent failure to eject but a free,one week visit to the manufacturer completely fixed that. It is amazingly accurate. My only complaint is that it is too heavy. Some people will find fault with the Armalite magazines but I can't -they work great, thy aren't expensive and they're quite robust (I've also heard they're longer than most and more tolerant of longer than normal cartridges but I haven't tried that because my BDC scope is calibrated for 168 gr bullets).
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

CK14

Post by CK14 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:42 am

One of my buddies has an Armalite AR-10 16" tactical model. I have shot it a little bit and it is accurate and shoots so soft,really feels like a 5.56! It is heavy, but what do you expect. He loves it, I'm jealous.

Last April I was tempted by Windam but the deeper I looked the more doubt I had. I started to find that reviewers were being paid, don't know if that is true but it scared me away and I have been looking into other makers since.

I really like POF's rifles (super expensive!) But they are solid, CA Dept. of Fish and Game issues them as patrol rifles so they have been shown to be reliable.

DD is sweet but pushing 3 grand. I'm not sure you can go wrong with Armalite. The model I mentioned is going for $1200-$1600 from what I have found. If the wife gives her blessing this year I will probably go with that one.

The problem with AR-10 is a good rifle gets good glass, so add another $1000-$1500.
Pee when you can, eat when you can.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:24 am

I had a dpms gen 1 ap4 too. Only issues I encountered were with factory mags (magpuls worked great).

I'd love to play with a gen2, but haven't. If you are looking for a hunting or fun gun, a dpms would probably be just fine. Price will be hard to beat.

If *I* were buying a serious gun, it'd be a LMT 308 MWSE
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

FreeThought

Post by FreeThought » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:31 pm

TheLastOne wrote: If *I* were buying a serious gun, it'd be a LMT 308 MWSE

I own an Armalite AR-10 and a Larue Predator OBR , the latter being the most direct competition to the above LMT , shooting it back to back with a friends MWSE there is really no discernible difference in function or accuracy.

Since I own a couple of Lewis Machine and Tools 5.56 offerings I would have likely bought a MWS-K had it been available at the time I bought the Larue. Both are sort of pricey and in the same ballpark pricewise , both are very high quality rifles that are unlikely to let one down.

Garand69
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Garand69 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Love my Armalite AR-10 T Carbine, I only wish P-mags were available for it, though I have had no issues with my mags, 1/2 are converted M14 mags and the rest are Armalite Gen II.

G69

"skillsets and mindsets don't come in a sealed can."

"Who Controls the Past, Controls the Future: Who Controls the Present, Controls the Past"
-George Orwell, 1984

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:21 pm

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:26 am

A handy listing of new low end AR-10s

http://www.wikiarms.com/group/ar10rifles
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:38 pm

PistolPete wrote:There are a lot more AR-10 choices than their used to be, is there anyone making a great product for a good price? Any one to avoid? Did DPMS fix their quality issues with their "gen-2" rifles? Armalite, S&W, Windham, they all seem similarly priced, any to be avoided? Is Daniel Defense worth the price?

Any thoughts, data or experiences are welcome.
I purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P 10 recently, the camoflauged version. I decided on it due to ambidextrous controls -- I'm right handed but left-eye dominant.

So far so good! I've sighted it in with back-up Magpul sights, and have my eye on a good, fixed magnification scope. The recoil is a little high because the camo version does not come with a muzzle break, but that would by my only negative to point out.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:20 pm

What to avoid?? I'd avoid buying any that have a bent barrel, rust, or done in "muddy girl camo".

I have heard good things about DPMS and their Gen2s. Also, have not heard BAD things about S&W nor Windham. I remember years ago (maybe 5) everyone said Armalite was the only AR10 to get, but now there are so many. I'd get a DPMS over the Bushmaster even though they are both Freedom Group rifles. And if I wanted a Bushy, I'd just get a Windham. Smith and Wesson is always a good choice due to their customer service and overall track record, and I have heard spotty things about Armalite ARs as of late (not just AR10s). Also, Palmetto State has some sales right now, but DMPS is still cheapest starting around $700 online right now.

If it's in your budget, I'd be hard pressed not to look at the Ruger SR762 for $1600. Up in the premium pay section is also Colt and Sig, but I don't think I'd pay that much when I could get a LWRC or POF or DD for just a little more.

So basically, I'd say there are not too many to run away from in my little experience (mostly reading and chatting to other gun nuts).

My picks:
Budget options: DPMS
Have money: Ruger SR762 piston gun
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Radio guy

Post by Radio guy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:03 pm

I was originally shopping for a Colt 7.62 AR then read a few magazine articles about the Ruger SR-762 where a gun school in TX was using them for long range precision training and the graduating students were consistently hitting targets out to 1,000yds with them when topped with 3X15 or 4X20 power scopes. Then I watched a few Youtube video reviews and decided to get one. I topped it with a Burris XTR II 1.5-8X scope and AR-PEPR mount and I'm completely thrilled with it.

In comparison an M1A or other 7.62 rifles beats you up a lot compared to the SR-762. After a few hundred rounds the inside of the receiver, the chrome plated bolt and trigger group were clean and pristine, unlike a traditional AR where all these components would be caked in carbon after the same amount of rounds. The piston seems to be a really good thing for reliability, reducing recoil and keeping the gun clean. Its also got a fluted, cold hammer forged barrel which generally produces a very accurate barrel which has minimal bullet drift due to barrel heating.

Recoil is about like a 5.56 and it easily shoots sub MOA for me and the furthest I've tested it so far is 400yds into about a 1ft square steel plate. You can sit there all day and hit that target as fast as you can pull the trigger. Bang bang bang bang bang, ding ding ding ding ding every time. I then added a Geissele SSA-E trigger and Magpul CTR stock and now its a real dream machine. I just got a Supercomp XL Titanium brake to try out but have not tested that yet. With the very light recoil of the stock gun the brake should be able to hold the scope on target under recoil so I can watch the bullets drop into the target at long range.

I know the Ruger SR-762 is not the cheapest of the bunch but I can highly recommend it for reliability, accuracy and low recoil. Plus it can use most AR accessories.
Radio Guy
JeeperCreeper wrote:What to avoid?? I'd avoid buying any that have a bent barrel, rust, or done in "muddy girl camo".

I have heard good things about DPMS and their Gen2s. Also, have not heard BAD things about S&W nor Windham. I remember years ago (maybe 5) everyone said Armalite was the only AR10 to get, but now there are so many. I'd get a DPMS over the Bushmaster even though they are both Freedom Group rifles. And if I wanted a Bushy, I'd just get a Windham. Smith and Wesson is always a good choice due to their customer service and overall track record, and I have heard spotty things about Armalite ARs as of late (not just AR10s). Also, Palmetto State has some sales right now, but DMPS is still cheapest starting around $700 online right now.

If it's in your budget, I'd be hard pressed not to look at the Ruger SR762 for $1600. Up in the premium pay section is also Colt and Sig, but I don't think I'd pay that much when I could get a LWRC or POF or DD for just a little more.

So basically, I'd say there are not too many to run away from in my little experience (mostly reading and chatting to other gun nuts).

My picks:
Budget options: DPMS
Have money: Ruger SR762 piston gun

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Does the Ruger have a free-float handguard? Their website only calls it "ergonomic."

If/when I get an AR-10, it will see occasional use in 3-gun Heavy Metal division.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:14 pm

Langenator wrote:Does the Ruger have a free-float handguard? Their website only calls it "ergonomic."

If/when I get an AR-10, it will see occasional use in 3-gun Heavy Metal division.
I'm pretty sure the handguard is mostly "free floating" even though no AR15 barrel technically is. I think it may have more junk attached to the barrel due to the piston system. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

OP, I've seen some crazy sales on LWRC rifles if you want a piston. (mostly 6.8, but a REPR in .308 would be awesome)

Also for some reason, I've really liked the Troy pump .308s lately. But I think I'll save getting one for a while since there is no legislation forcing me too.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:46 am

JeeperCreeper wrote: OP, I've seen some crazy sales on LWRC rifles if you want a piston. (mostly 6.8, but a REPR in .308 would be awesome)
I've seen the deals on those, but a bit pricey for my blood. I actually shot one of those maybe 6 (5? 8? I don't really remember) at the Silencer Shoot near Memphis. It was not reliable, at least with the can they had on it. It was a package that cost over 6 grand with the can and optic and it was one of the less reliable rifles on the line.

Now I'm sure it was due to being used a lot that day and not cleaned enough, but in my experience the high-end AR's don't run any better than the mid-grade ones. You seem to hit the point of diminishing returns with AR's pretty quickly these days.

Thanks for the input!

- Mark Twain

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:45 pm

PistolPete wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote: OP, I've seen some crazy sales on LWRC rifles if you want a piston. (mostly 6.8, but a REPR in .308 would be awesome)
I've seen the deals on those, but a bit pricey for my blood. I actually shot one of those maybe 6 (5? 8? I don't really remember) at the Silencer Shoot near Memphis. It was not reliable, at least with the can they had on it. It was a package that cost over 6 grand with the can and optic and it was one of the less reliable rifles on the line.

Now I'm sure it was due to being used a lot that day and not cleaned enough, but in my experience the high-end AR's don't run any better than the mid-grade ones. You seem to hit the point of diminishing returns with AR's pretty quickly these days.

Thanks for the input!
Got to wonder if they were running sub-sonics with a full weight buffer. That would gum up the works pretty good.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:06 am

I had a magazine malfunction yesterday. It was a 5 round magazine that came with my Smith & Wesson M&P-10 camo version. Twice, after the first shot, the spring failed to push up the next round. It didn't re-expand until about a minute or two later, both times, after I shook the remaining ammunition out of it.

Recommendations, please, for magazines for .308 AR-10 rifles? Thanks!
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:39 am

Neptune Glory wrote:I had a magazine malfunction yesterday. It was a 5 round magazine that came with my Smith & Wesson M&P-10 camo version. Twice, after the first shot, the spring failed to push up the next round. It didn't re-expand until about a minute or two later, both times, after I shook the remaining ammunition out of it.

Recommendations, please, for magazines for .308 AR-10 rifles? Thanks!
Once Again.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231992 ... er-polymer
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:28 am

PMag, hands down the cheapest and most reliable I've played with, albeit with a bolt action. I think Midway sometimes runs sales on metal mags, but Midway's also got PMags for fifteen bucks right now, so why wait?

ETA: you can also try taking the mag down and polishing the inside of the body with a brass brush and some CLP. I had to do that with some cheap Colt SMG mags to get them to run right.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:24 am

I have half-way decided that an AR-10 will be next---but I want to go the 80% lower route and build it myself.
After reading a bunch, the general drift seems to be that AR-10 parts are not quite as interchangeable as AR-15 parts.
Has anybody rolled their own? What would you recommend as far as part suppliers/ compatibility?
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:31 pm

This will help confuse and/or clear things up:

http://308ar.com/compatibility/
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Just read an article on DD's 7.62 rifle... Anyone here have or at least handled one?

I really like their 5.56 barrels and am impressed with their quality control. If I make the leap to an AR in .308/7.62x51 I'd have to seriously consider this one.

I got to play with a friend's DPMS over a few range sessions and fired a Ruger SR762 at a range but that's about it for AR-10 pattern rifles for me. Love the caliber but only own bolt guns personally.

Hive mind thoughts on a SCAR-17 instead? Proven platform and all...despite the additional expense.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”