Federal Nickel plated cases problems

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Frank

Federal Nickel plated cases problems

Post by Frank » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:58 pm

when I first purchased my pistol I carried HydraShok for the first couple of months before switching to Hornaday Critical duty. I tossed the rounds because they warped around the bullet, the nickel cases looked crushed. I switched to HST's a month ago and I've noticed the same problem. Is it just federal that can't get it right? The critical duty never got damaged like that even with excessive loading and unloading and I've pretty much left the HSTs alone
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Stercutus

Re: Federal Nickel plated cases problems

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:27 pm

I have had them (Fedral HST's) loaded for up to 18 months with no issues.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

throwback

Post by throwback » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah, I carried Hydrashock that wasn't rotated out for months at a time in the last job, and never had any issues like what you are describing. My home carry piece/magazines are always HST, and don't go past a month without being fired, but I have never encountered it there, either. G19 for me. What is the sidearm you are loading? Is the issue case warping, or are you getting bullet setback from repeatedly chambering and unchambering the rounds?
Disclaimer: *Throwbacks opinions are just his opinions. They are based on the best facts he has to hand, and sometimes in spite of them. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree, and sometimes both of them are right.*

Frank

Post by Frank » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:41 pm

It's out of an m&p. I'll try to post pictures later on tonight
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Mine too.

Do you by chance store it in your automobile?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Frank

Post by Frank » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:50 am

This is a photo of one of the Hydras that are damaged. The HST's look exactly the same

I just assumed that they got damaged because they were light-for-load (155gr if I remember correctly, might of been even lower) but the HSTs (180gr) look the same after a month. Bullet setback I can live with but I try not to unchamber my round needlessly. It does get pretty hot here (AZ) but if my pistol isn't on my person, it's in a pelican case back home.

throwback

Post by throwback » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:55 am

Huh. I have seen stuff similar that before, usually in .45, but I don't think I have ever seen it as noticeable as it is there. I don't think I would even hazard a guess as to what is causing the case to collapse like that. You can always try calling the Federal Customer Service and see if they can help you out.
Disclaimer: *Throwbacks opinions are just his opinions. They are based on the best facts he has to hand, and sometimes in spite of them. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree, and sometimes both of them are right.*

turbo6

Post by turbo6 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:51 am

I've had HydraShoks in one of my handguns for nearly 2 years and none of the rounds are deformed in any way.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”