The Grey Ghost: Grey 6 pound AR

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Grey Ghost: Grey 6 pound AR

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:54 pm

With all the Memorial Day deals on gun parts, I decided to break my year long hiatus on building ARs.

I love the movement for Grey equipment for no other reason than Grey is my favorite color.
So I decided to make a light weight AR (under 6 Pounds) in grey….I’m calling it …
The Grey Ghost

Below is a picture of where the Project is right now.

So I started with the Upper.
Having built a light weight AR SBR to clone the Shootrite Katana before, I found it’s hard to find a stripped upper without a forward assist and brass deflector. In the past I used a Rainer Arms model which cost around 125 dollars. I want to keep this build low budget so I searched out other options.
Luckily, I stumbled across an Anderson Manufacturing offering at Aim Surplus for 55 dollars shipped.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... h=anderson

Having worked with Anderson Manufacturing pieces before, I know they can be hard to match when it comes to finishes. They use a low cost pak finish. So when it came to choosing a lower I searched out Deals for an Anderson lower. Again, Luckily I came across this deal from Primary Arms. An Anderson lower with machined trigger guard for 60 dollars and a Spikes’ lower part kit for 60. Plus, buying over memorial day I got discount. I think the whole package shipped to my FFL for 118 dollars.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Anderson_Ma ... closed.htm

Having worked with grey gear, I find that each manufacture offers slightly different shades of grey. LBT MAS Grey doesn’t match Blue Force Gear Wolf grey which doesn’t match Emdom SDC Grey. I figured the same would be true with AR furniture. So it was important to go with the same manufacture for all the AR furniture. Right now the only company offering a full line of Grey furniture is Magpul. I was able to get a pistol grip, rear sight and carbine fixed stock in there Stealth Grey offer for around 100 dollars from Midwayusa (My preferred source for parts)

I went with the Fix Carbine length for weight savings and costs. The fixed stock is lighter than the adjustable stock. Also, I already had a Carbine tube with spring and buffer so that's one less thing I needed to buy.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: The Grey Ghost: Grey 6 pound AR

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:04 pm

I spent my Saturday coming up with a plan for the grey ghost.
I'm thinking Carbon Fiber Handguard and 16'' Lightweight Barrel with A2 front sight and carbine length gas system.

The Carbon Fiber Handguard is for weight savings
The Lightweight Barrel with A2 front sight is for weight savings
The carbine length gas system is for cost savings (I have a gas tube and Carbine length handguards are traditionally lower in cost)

Doing some scouting on Sunday I purchased the following

DPMS ($70 Shipped)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/579793 ... iber-black

Double Star 16 inch LW Barrel ($200 Shipped)
http://jtdistributing.net/store/product1231.html

Both should be delivered sometime next week.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:16 pm

Went searching for a BCG for the Grey Ghost
On Ebay I found a deal on Ares Armor Reduced Friction Black Nitride BCG(99 dollars Shipped)

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/blk_nit ... d_friction

I have bought from Ares Armor before (Both gear and parts)
I have never had a problem with their products or with them...other then receiving unending emails trying to get support from their customer in their legal battles.
I would never buy from their site direct again...so I'm glad it came from Ebay.

I think the Grey pak finish of the lower and upper will have a nice contrast to the solid black color of the Spike's Part kit and Black Nitride Bolt Carrier Group.

This should be in house next week as well.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:02 am

Rick Shaw wrote:I spent my Saturday coming up with a plan for the grey ghost.
I'm thinking Carbon Fiber Handguard and 16'' Lightweight Barrel with A2 front sight and carbine length gas system.

The Carbon Fiber Handguard is for weight savings
The Lightweight Barrel with A2 front sight is for weight savings
The carbine length gas system is for cost savings (I have a gas tube and Carbine length handguards are traditionally lower in cost)

Doing some scouting on Sunday I purchased the following

DPMS ($70 Shipped)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/579793 ... iber-black

Double Star 16 inch LW Barrel ($200 Shipped)
http://jtdistributing.net/store/product1231.html

Both should be delivered sometime next week.
Nice build! I'm doing a similar build with the Magpul stealth grey on a matched upper/lower I picked up from Quentin Defense (folks who did the forged ZS group buy a couple years ago) in Phoenix, AZ. I was at Luke AFB for my fini-flight last October and couldn't resist swinging by on the way home!

Re: the cf tube, I have one build with one of these:
http://www.carbonarms.us/Carbon-Feather-Handguards/

...and will likely do another in grey cf for this one. Kind of spendy but it is removable. I didn't think to ask if they'd sell just the part that attaches to the cf tube.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:47 am

The parts came in and I was able to get the Grey Ghost together and to the range for a test fire.
Overall I’m pleased with the results
Below is a picture of the rifle with its side kick (FNX 9mm two tone)
The target was shoot from a bench at 25 yards (Sight in and 3 shoot confirmation).

The weight feels like it’s around 6 pounds (but I have no way to confirm right now).
The function was great with a smooth action.
The Accuracy was dead one.
The colors of black and grey look really good in my opinion.
Overall a good rifle for a build that I have about 5 bills invested into.

My only disappointment about this rifle is the DPMS carbon fiber handguard.
For 70 dollars it’s not a bad option for a carbon fiber handguard (Considering AP Carbon fibers are around 125 and Hiper form run 130 with installation tool).

Its light weight enough and the installation isn’t too difficult (but I don’t recommend for the novice AR builder since it requires removing the front sight post and epoxy).
The color looks good with the grey furniture.

However, the tube is very skinny and thin. It transfers heat from the barrel too easily.
I shot about 30 rounds total and I could start to feel the heat through the handguard. It was by no means uncomfortable but it was there.

Also, the skinny tube made my front hand hold alittle uneasy since I’m used to fat handgaurds.

I have a Hiper Form Handguard on my AR SBR (Link below to the retailer’s website) and it is fat and thick. I have shoot in excess of 200 rounds in one string of fire and the hiperform transfers zero heat to my hand.

http://www.hiperform.com/hand-guards.htm

If I had to build this over again I would spring the extra dollars to do the hiperform handguard again.

I’ll leave off with this final picture of the Grey Ghost with its side kick and a man purse I bought from London Bridge Trading Company a few years ago when they were unloading their MAS grey line.

I have a few small tweaks left, better flash hider, Sling and a better optic. I’ll post again if I go with anything interesting and not reviewed to death already.
Thanks for Looking

-Rick Shaw!

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:27 am

Nice build.

Hopefully it will influence others to trim some weight from their 9lb AR's with all the "improvements" hanging off them :wink:
WWSD?

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:08 pm

eagerly awaiting actual weigh-in. I'm trying to build a 5lb gun eventually (pre-optics) but it's all on paper so I don't know if I can hit it until I put it together. I'd be surprised if yours is actually 6lbs from looking at the parts list, I would guess much lower.

how much did your Shootrite clone weigh?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Nice build.

Hopefully it will influence others to trim some weight from their 9lb AR's with all the "improvements" hanging off them :wink:
It is influencing me.

I recently picked up a blemished GWACS Cav-15 lower and it is very light. My current upper I have on there is a BCM middy pencil barrel, Magpul MOE hand guard and an EOtech plus LaRue backup irons. It's a great setup; I can hold it by my pinky finger alone just hooked under its point of balance. Sorry, no scale handy.

Half of me wants to swap the EOTech for a T1 or H1 as pictured in this thread, and call it good as a lightweight fighting gun.

The other half of me wants to move the upper I have onto another lower I have (they've been breeding) and build a balls-to-the-wall ultralight build. My only question really is, if I do this, do I do it on something of a reasonable budget (so I can do it sooner), or do I spare no expense (and call it the John Hammond) to make it stupid light?

Reasonable budget would start with an Anderson slick upper as shown in this thread, some kind of pencil barrel (maybe BCM middy) probably a lightweight free float tube of some kind (not into the epoxy style though) with a bit of rail somewhere for the lightest light I can find, Ares sling, and probably an H1.

John Hammond would start with a Rainier Arms upper (one ounce lighter than the Anderson, but $200 as opposed to $40), maybe a pinned and welded 14.5 ultralight barrel, probably fluted, and lots of stupid expensive titanium parts from this company Dave told me about. There's a quality optic that's even lighter than an Aimpoint Micro...Trijicon RMR, maybe?

I'm torn because my current setup is decently light, so I'm not sure there's much to be gained by going a little lighter. But if I went full featherweight on it, it could be a fun project.

Honestly the only reason I'm considering it is that I've never assembled an upper before. I don't need another rifle, really.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:56 am

RonnyRonin wrote:eagerly awaiting actual weigh-in. I'm trying to build a 5lb gun eventually (pre-optics) but it's all on paper so I don't know if I can hit it until I put it together. I'd be surprised if yours is actually 6lbs from looking at the parts list, I would guess much lower.

how much did your Shootrite clone weigh?
I put the grey ghost on the fish scale
With the optic I was a 6 pounds and 4 oz.
I'm guessing without the optics I am a hair under 5 pounds.

I'm sure I can cut even more off if I went to this website and got stupid with my money
http://www.vertexops.com/Lightweight_AR ... s/1907.htm

I'm happy with my 6 pound rifle that cost 500

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 am

Answering some of the comments
Light weight build on a reasonable budget
This build was around 500 and I got just under 6 pounds.
To me that’s reasonable

IF your looking for ideas on weight savings, check out this link
The made a full size ar to weigh just 4pouds and 2 oz with the optic

http://sixtyounces.tumblr.com/

Rainer is running a special on uppers without the forward assist
90 dollars.

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms ... o?___SID=U

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:Nice build.

It is influencing me.

I recently picked up a blemished GWACS Cav-15 lower and it is very light. My current upper I have on there is a BCM middy pencil barrel, Magpul MOE hand guard and an EOtech plus LaRue backup irons. It's a great setup; I can hold it by my pinky finger alone just hooked under its point of balance. Sorry, no scale handy.

Half of me wants to swap the EOTech for a T1 or H1 as pictured in this thread, and call it good as a lightweight fighting gun.

The other half of me wants to move the upper I have onto another lower I have (they've been breeding) and build a balls-to-the-wall ultralight build. My only question really is, if I do this, do I do it on something of a reasonable budget (so I can do it sooner), or do I spare no expense (and call it the John Hammond) to make it stupid light?

Reasonable budget would start with an Anderson slick upper as shown in this thread, some kind of pencil barrel (maybe BCM middy) probably a lightweight free float tube of some kind (not into the epoxy style though) with a bit of rail somewhere for the lightest light I can find, Ares sling, and probably an H1.

John Hammond would start with a Rainier Arms upper (one ounce lighter than the Anderson, but $200 as opposed to $40), maybe a pinned and welded 14.5 ultralight barrel, probably fluted, and lots of stupid expensive titanium parts from this company Dave told me about. There's a quality optic that's even lighter than an Aimpoint Micro...Trijicon RMR, maybe?

I'm torn because my current setup is decently light, so I'm not sure there's much to be gained by going a little lighter. But if I went full featherweight on it, it could be a fun project.

Honestly the only reason I'm considering it is that I've never assembled an upper before. I don't need another rifle, really.
Brownells has DPMS CF tubes in goofy camo colors for fiddy bucks right now. Snag a Voodoo Innovations or BCM barrel in the 10-12" range in a light profile, lowpro gasblock, run a slicksides upper or just bubba the FA/ejection port on a standard upper. Heck, go to a seven-inch upper. Use ten-round mags. Drop in a 22 kit and eliminate the buffer system and gas system completely. Grind off all the spare picatinny rails and drill holes in the receiver where the back of the conversion bolt is.

Okay, maybe we went a little crazy sacrificing function for weight.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:
That red dot and riser mount weighs 20 ounces?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Comparing the Grey Ghost to La Petite (My Shootrite SBR Clone)

The Grey Ghost without the optic wgt in at 5 pounds and 14 OZ

La Petite with C-More Reddot wgt in at 5 pounds and 12 OZ

I can easily drop another pound off La Petite by changing a few things
Change from Metal colt rear sight to polymer Magpul BUIS would save an Once
Change from Surefire Extended flash hider to Standard A2 flash hider would save 2 ounces
Change from Mil Spec buffer tube with Minimalist adjustable stock to ACE Ultra lite entry stock would save 12 Ounces.
Take off the Magwell rubber cover would save an once.

But I’m good with where it’s sitting right now as far as wgt.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:51 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote:
That red dot and riser mount weighs 20 ounces?
Sorry...TYpo from this morning.

Meant to say without the optic it is a hair under 6 pounds

My bad!

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Nice

I tried to find some pics of my lightweight AR, but I forgot what thread I posted them on. Regardless...

Built on a Colt 6900. Its a slick side, just a shell deflector.

Ace stock, DPMS carbon fible fore arm, the tiny Troy battle axe grip, bird cage, a pencil-thin from palametto, and a Troy fixed rear. No optic. I think I got it down to sub 6 with loaded 20 rnd mags. That was my goal. Sighted in at 50 yds and not touched since.

In retrospect, a dumb waste of money, but back then, I didn't have to fund a fucking despised wedding for the sake of making in-laws happy, and the trans-generational group think mentalility of "I need a wedding because people have always had them", fucking 11 thousand dollar bullshit. Like, since when was spending a new car's wprth (when you drive a thousand year old civic [the AK47 of cars, thank God]), on a fucking one-day party considefred good judgment?

Sorry. I'm drunk cuz life sucks.

Cool gun. Lightweights are cool.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:27 am

Minimalist is great.
I am (slowly) building a 10.5" barreled range toy w/Sig brace. I used the same upper. I like the sorta slick-side. I have never used forward assist, and while the dustcover is nice, I've never considered it an actual necessity. The build is on hiatus for the moment as I have other things to funnel money to for the immediate future. Your builds look like a LOT of fun.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:35 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:Nice

I tried to find some pics of my lightweight AR, but I forgot what thread I posted them on. Regardless...

Built on a Colt 6900. Its a slick side, just a shell deflector.

Ace stock, DPMS carbon fible fore arm, the tiny Troy battle axe grip, bird cage, a pencil-thin from palametto, and a Troy fixed rear. No optic. I think I got it down to sub 6 with loaded 20 rnd mags. That was my goal. Sighted in at 50 yds and not touched since.

In retrospect, a dumb waste of money, but back then, I didn't have to fund a fucking despised wedding for the sake of making in-laws happy, and the trans-generational group think mentalility of "I need a wedding because people have always had them", fucking 11 thousand dollar bullshit. Like, since when was spending a new car's wprth (when you drive a thousand year old civic [the AK47 of cars, thank God]), on a fucking one-day party considefred good judgment?

Sorry. I'm drunk cuz life sucks.

Cool gun. Lightweights are cool.
I bet your drunk texts are epic sir

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”