Rare H&K Semi Auto Hunting Rifle Review

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

I_Hate_George_Lucas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Weeks Later

Rare H&K Semi Auto Hunting Rifle Review

Post by I_Hate_George_Lucas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:42 pm

I have owned a H&K SLB2000 for a number of years now. This rifle isn't common or easy to find. They were imported by H&K back in the early 2000s and were then pulled from the market due to lack of sales. They were later sold to Merkel which updated the design as the MR1 and Haenel as the SLB200+. Both are still popular in Europe. H&K also marketed a couple of different variants in Europe including a Target/Sniper rifle. SLB stands for Selbstladebuchse (Zelbst ladeh bookseh) or Self-Loading Rifle. 2000 is obviously for the year of introduction.

Haenel's Website:
http://www.cg-haenel.de/en/haenel-jaege ... e-slb2000/

Merkel's Website:
http://www.merkel-usa.com/products/rifles/single-barrel

Here are some pics of mine.

The SLB2000 is a Gas Operated Semi-Automatic Rifle chambered in .30-06 Springfield. It was supposed to have a "quick" change barrel system allowing you to use different calibers.

The scope mount was made by B-Square and is pretty hard to find these days. Originally H&K advertised that the older series of scope mounts from the 770 series would work. Well, that's not the case.

The upper receiver is made from aluminium and the lower receiver is polymer.

The magazine release is a ambidextrous paddle release much like the USP series of pistols.

The safety is a simple switch on the back of the rifle. Flip it down and it is on safe. White dot for safe/red dot for fire.

Simple V notch rear sight. The rear sight can be drifted for windage.

Pinned front blade sight. The sights themselves are pretty rugged and well made.

Here are the three magazines for it. From left to right you have a 10rd magazine, 5rd magazine, and a 2rd magazine. The rifle comes from the factory with a 2rd magazine. 2rd mags are common in Europe due to law. In France the rifle is sold with a 2rd mag on a hinged plate instead of being a detachable magazine.

Two Round Magazine

Five Round Magazine

Ten Round Magazine

Two Round Magazine inserted into rifle. The control lever right in front of the import information is the bolt catch/release. Up to catch the bolt, down to release it. The magazine follower does lock the bolt back when empty.

Five Round Magazine inserted into rifle.

Ten Round Magazine inserted into rifle.
PistolPete wrote:ROFL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO OF A MONKEY FUCKING A DUCK!!!!!!!
Warning: If subject is found in a happy state. Punch in throat until subject returns to a non cheerful demeanor.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Rare H&K Semi Auto Hunting Rifle Review

Post by raptor » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Great post thanks for sharing.
Last edited by raptor on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milesindefilade

Post by milesindefilade » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks for the article. I remember this rifle and think I saw it on the shelf a few times, but I never used one. I always thought it was sharp looking. Aside from the parts and accessory issues, still would be a cool rifle to have.
Please punctuate everything I say with "IMHO."

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Never seen one of those, pretty cool that you can change calibers.
WWSD?

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:59 am

Very nice write up on a very rare rifle! I remember reading a little about those in the gun press, but never actually saw one in person.

I have an SL7 and a SL6, along with a Model 300 .22 Mag semi auto, all of which they sold far more of, but all still uncommon to see.

H&K definitely made a number of obscure guns over the years that most folks never encountered.

I_Hate_George_Lucas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Weeks Later

Post by I_Hate_George_Lucas » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:21 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Never seen one of those, pretty cool that you can change calibers.
In theory I can except they never released anything in the US to do so. The rifle took off in Europe but not here in the US.
PistolPete wrote:ROFL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO OF A MONKEY FUCKING A DUCK!!!!!!!
Warning: If subject is found in a happy state. Punch in throat until subject returns to a non cheerful demeanor.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”