Purpose of a Rifle in Suburbia

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Purpose of a Rifle in Suburbia

Post by Neptune Glory » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:20 pm

Hiyas,

I've been wrestling with this question for more than a year: What is the purpose of my owning a rifle, being that I live in the suburbs and don't hunt?

I've read that it is important to own one, but aside from target practice, I'm having a lot of trouble answering the question: "Own a rifle for what?

This is why I've hesitated to purchase one... the things are expensive and I don't want to buy something I don't have a use for.

So I'm throwing this question out to the forum: What is the purpose of a civilian, who lives in suburbia, owning a rifle that isn't to be used for hunting?

I'm fine with the answers, "Because I can," and "Because it's a constitutionally protected right of mine," but that doesn't help me figure out which caliber / action / etc to buy... if any.

Thanks!
-Neptune

p.s. I own two 9mm pistols, a pump action 12 gauge shotgun, and I was gifted a .22lr bolt action rifle about a year ago. Beyond that, though, not sure what the answer is, or if there even is one.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Re: Purpose of a Rifle in Suburbia

Post by TheZone » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Zombies.

Suburbia is a high population density area, so when an outbreak occurs you will be faced with large mobs, so you will need the ability to engage the zeds at 50+ yards with sufficient accuracy to ensure headshots. Waiting until they get within handgun range will ensure being over-run.

As a secondary concern, because if the bad guys have rifles and you have a handgun, you are at a serious disadvantage.

But mainly for zombies.
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

jsbcody

Post by jsbcody » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Home Defense is a good reason. An AR15 in the .223/556 caliber with urban/tactical loads will guarrantee you won't be shooting through your walls into your neighbor's house which your pistols and shotgun (with 00 buckshot) will do. Most people are usually much more accurate with a rifle over a pistol. The ability to add a red dot sight, flashlight to the rifle along with a 30 round magazine makes for an excellent home defense weapon.

I see you live in Saint Louis Missouri, so I don't have to tell you about the recent civil unrest and criminal activities. That alone is a good reason to have a rifle.

Getting good tactical rifle training would be the next step after getting the rifle.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:18 pm

There is a huge difference in the effectiveness of a rifle round vs pistol round. In a self-defense scenario your goal is to stop the threat.

Rifles do that much better than pistols, dramatically better. Add in that you will be able to be far more accurate with a rifle vs handgun.

I live in the 'burbs too and don't need a sniper rifle or optics that enable 300-400meter shots. What I do need is a platform that can defeat common barriers that I would encounter. Solid doors, privacy fences, heavy shrubs, thick plate glass windows, automobiles, etc.

Your 9mm, 12ga and .22 will not defeat such intermediate barriers and so about everything around you becomes cover for others. But since they will most likely have rifles :wink: . the best you can hope for from your most common surroundings is concealment.

Add a AR/AK to your existing battery and you are good to go. AR's are the cheapest I have ever seen them right now.

Hope that helps.
WWSD?

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Also from StL - Not really sure a rifle is needed outside of the aforementioned "Don't bring a pistol to a rifle fight".

There are many here that are far more experienced/knowledgeable than I, but as far as I can figure, the money spent on a quality "battle rifle", with all the ammo/training/accessories that come with it is better spent elsewhere and gives up very little in terms of protection, unless the presumption is that you will be out-gunned without one. Long odds.

An alarm system, shatter proof windows, steel/reinforced doors, better and more locks... Many things will probably give you more practical "real world" use.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Faster to reload, can stay in a fight longer, can reach past 50 yrds, may be more capable of punching through cover, certainly better terminal performance than a pistol, lighter ammo than a shotgun.

30 cal rounds have a habit of turning cover into concealment. I imagine some heavier 5.56 and maybe even the heavier 5.45 rounds will punch through more stuff than their lighter brethren. In general, heavier is better at punching through things.

Slugs can allow a shotgun to reach past 50 yrds, but the issues involved with changing ammo and trying to adapt to a dynamic battlefield mean rifles are a better option if you expect to maybe have to take shots past 50. Slugs will also punch through a lot of stuff.

Rifles are easier to train with, and the lessons learned are not as perishable. Your body does not forget the lessons as quickly as with a pistol, and it is easier to train with a rifle than with a shotgun.

But the right rifle for HD might be different than the right rifle for SHTF.

Then there is the question of what you are prepping for. Economic collapse? Probably need a pistol. Natural disaster? Probably need a pistol. Mutant-ninja-zombie-bikers? Probably need a fighting rifle. There are other things to prep for which would require a rifle, but this gives an idea.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:26 pm

My opinion on why any adult must have a quality rifle would be considered too political for ZS.
But the ballistics of rifle vs pistol vs shotgun speak for themselves.
With the recent riots, I heard a lot of store owners armed up and that helped to deter looters, look at the Korean business owners in the Rodney King riots.
Should you ever decide to leave suburbia, and wish to take up hunting, you would already have a reliable rifle that you are used to and could be used for hunting with the right loads.
Rifle marksmanship is a great american tradition, one that enforces many great qualities; such as patience, and a sense of knowing yourself. By owning and practicing with the rifle, you continue this tradition and hopefully pass it on to the rest of your family. Look up Project Appleseed for more on this.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Aside from those already mentioned, another reason for a civilian in suburbia to own a rifle would be for marksmanship competitions.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:42 am

I'm gonna kinda go against the grain here...

The #1 reason is "I want one". The rationale for reason #1 is to use it as a "range toy". The rationale for reason #2 is that that range toy can be used for "home defense". The rationale for reason #3 is that home defense could turn into "homestead defense". The rationale for #4 is that homestead defense can also be used for a "combat rifle". And the rationale for #5 is that combat rifle is what you need as part of your "PAW rig".

I have "modern sporting rifles" and I love them. I don't see a time when I don't have them. It's also nice to have semiautomatic capability and the choice of ammunition capacity. However, I feel the pump shotgun may be more valuable in everday Suburbia. I don't see myself getting in combat in the cul-de-sac, I don't predict that a horde of zombie-methhead-bikers are going to assault my neighborhood, and I don't think that I am going to be taking long shots at baddies with my spotter being the neighborhood watch. Do I have that capability? Sure. But my primary choice for real world usage in Suburbia is a 12 gauge pump, loaded with defense rounds, buckshot, turkey loads, or slugs.

So in my mind, is the black rifle the ultimate suburban tool? No, but it does check a lot of boxes and it can be argued either way.

WILDCARD TIME: If someone can get me a "master key" shotgun attachment to connect under my rifle, then that is the ultimate.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:31 am

Neptune Glory wrote:Hiyas,

I've been wrestling with this question for more than a year: What is the purpose of my owning a rifle, being that I live in the suburbs and don't hunt?

I've read that it is important to own one, but aside from target practice, I'm having a lot of trouble answering the question: "Own a rifle for what?

This is why I've hesitated to purchase one... the things are expensive and I don't want to buy something I don't have a use for.

So I'm throwing this question out to the forum: What is the purpose of a civilian, who lives in suburbia, owning a rifle that isn't to be used for hunting?

I'm fine with the answers, "Because I can," and "Because it's a constitutionally protected right of mine," but that doesn't help me figure out which caliber / action / etc to buy... if any.

Thanks!
-Neptune

p.s. I own two 9mm pistols, a pump action 12 gauge shotgun, and I was gifted a .22lr bolt action rifle about a year ago. Beyond that, though, not sure what the answer is, or if there even is one.
Besides what others have already said.

I noted cost has been a deciding factor for not getting one. And with the firearms you already have I can understand that. It is not like your unarmed, so why spend more on something that serves mostly just a just in case for complete SHTF. Because in the suburbs and not being a hunter, except for toting off to the range now and then, complete SHTF is likely the only time you would use it.

So here is an argument for going ahead and getting a rifle.
1) During SHTF is a terrible time to try and find then learn how to use one.
2) Even if you don't hunt now, if SHTF you might want the option but without a rifle hunting is limited.
3) There are plenty of good rifles that don't cost a lot. Mosin Nagants, SKS, AK's, and maybe Hi Point Carbines all come to mind quickly as possible lower cost rifles. There are plenty more and if you keep a look out you can likely find a good deal. Plenty of used hunting rifles can be found low cost. Sadly AKs aren't as cheap as they once were, but they are still a lot cheaper than ARs and other rifles, the HI Points are also on the higher end of budget rifles and tend to have a not so good rep compared to the other rifles but figured they are worth at least mentioning as an option because a crappy weapon is better than no weapon.
4) As corny as it may sound. Rifles are just fun to shoot. If you already have those other guns, and shoot them at the range, then one more just makes for that much more fun on range day.

Now here is an argument for not getting a rifle.
1) You already have some decent firearms and don't feel you need to spend more on something else.
2) You feel a rifle has no practical purpose in the suburbs which as long as ROL exists your right.
3) Rifles, and their ammo take up space, if it is not needed then you could use that space for other preps.
4) Technically you do own a rifle, a bolt action .22, couldn't that cover your need for a rifle?

Now only you can decide what points you feel are right for you and sway you. Personally I would suggest to at least start window shopping some Mosin Nagants and SKS, maybe even some AK's. It doesn't hurt to get a look at what is out there. Do some research, watch youtube videos, get the good and the bad about them, learn what to look for, and check out prices. Don't forget to price magazines and ammo too. A great cheap rifle that you can't find or afford mags and ammo for is not a good deal.

You can do all this without actually buying a rifle. After, if you still don't think you need one or that it is too costly. Then don't get one. You can revisit the topic at a later date, and concentrate your efforts on other preps for awhile. A back yard garden maybe? Or more food supplies? Water catchment (there is supposed to be a mega drought coming) maybe? How is your medical preps, do you need to work on those? What about comms, do you have a HAM license and radio? There are always tons of places to spend money in preps, since you already have some firearms only you can figure out if you need more or if the money is better spent somewhere else right now.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 am

Case FOR the rifle.

In my 20 years of police service, I've arrested well over 100 people. 1 in 5 were for weapons and felony charges. Some of those weapons were rifles and shotguns. A lot of felonies were robbery or assault with a weapon.

One of the original arguements for LEOSA was protection from felons the police put in jail.

When the wolf shows up at my door, odds they'll be loaded for bear. Only stands to reason to do the same.

Besides, I was trained by the department with certain rifles and shotguns. Why throw that training away?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:41 am

no need to retread the above reasons, so I will add a new one.
a 12 gauge shotgun is my go to for home defense, BUT my wife cant handle the recoil well. so for her a rifle is a much better option, or if you are injured you might want the lesser recoil.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 am

A friend of mine recently asked me a similar question. He's an avid pistol shooter who's come into a little money from an inheritance. For the last five years, he's really, really wanted an M-4.

Because he really, really wants an M-4.

His problem is not that he can't afford the weapon. He's never fired an AR before and is having a bit of sticker shock at the cost of ammo, the bells and whistles and how much he'd need to spend to become proficient.

I think he's going to hold off on his purchase.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:44 am

I can get into the pros and cons of owning an AR or other "battle rifles", the pros and cons about using one in a suburbia in a self defense situation, and the slim odds of you ever needing that rifle outside of shooting it at the range.

Simply put if you don't really want a rifle, and you already have other firearms to defend yourself with...you don't need a rifle.

You will be OK defending yourself with a shotgun and pistols. You are armed and that is what is important. Odds are you will never need to take on a gang of heavily armed people, or take a headshot at some cannibal eating your neighbor at the other end of the cul de sac. Yes, an AR is a great tool for home defense, but so is a pistol and a shotgun. The bolt .22 is kind of so-so. It can be used to shoot pest and animals and in a pinch you can kill a person in self defense with a .22 rifle and if need be even at distances beyond 100 yards but you need to be a real good shot and very lucky. However in terms of caliber, capacity and rate of fire using a .22lr bolt gun for self defense will be real tough so lets put that aside.

If you feel you current collection of guns is a bit lacking, but you don't want to go thru the expense of getting an AR, AK or other battle rifle, then here are a few other options.

1) Get a Ruger 10/22, .22lr AR, or other semi auto .22lr. You already have a .22 bolt gun, but these guns will give you better capacity and rate of fire. Usually this is an all around cheap way to go...but as you know .22lr ammo is a bit hard to find in bulk right now.

2) Or get a Pistol Caliber Carbine to match your pistols. Kel Tec Sub 2K, Hipoint, Beretta Storm, and a few other options.

3) There are other non semi auto options if you want a rifle caliber on the cheap. There are lever actions, bolt actions with decent capacity and short throw actions, pump actions and even some cheap semi auto (SKS), or getting something used or on sale.

However at the end of the day buy guns that you like, that you can afford, and that you will want to shoot regularly.

I will be brutally honest. If you have a decent shotgun with buckshot and foster slugs and a hi-cap pistol you are more than fine for home defense. If anyone says that you will be completely defenseless...they are talking fantasy stuff. If there is civil unrest and looters are running around do you really think when they see you standing on your porch with a shotgun and a holstered pistol they are going to say," Lets get him, he doesn't have an AK" ?

A silly picture of a neighborhood during Hurricane Katrina...did it matter that no one had an AR or an AK??? Nope.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:01 pm

DarkAxel wrote:Aside from those already mentioned, another reason for a civilian in suburbia to own a rifle would be for marksmanship competitions.
QFT

To that I would add another reason; "Because you can and you want one" is a quite legitimate reason to engage in any lawful activity.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Since the thread has taken a different turn, I'll throw in another $.02.

A good shotgun will meet the needs of most disaster situations. If you have some training with it, that would be much better. Again, there is a difference in terminal performance between long guns and pistols and I simply trust long guns more.

From what I see, the best weapon for suburban HD is a 5.56 with thin skinned rounds. The combination of high velocity, small mass, and thin jackets means those rounds break up better in drywall or plywood. Which is the opposite of what I would want in a PAW. However, HD is a more likely use of your weapons than a PAW. Since this is a global forum, I"ll add that rifles are real nice in a civil war or invasion situation, such as seen in Ukraine or areas affected by ISIS. It is understandable if you don't see that as likely in America. I see several groups in America who are rather pissed off for widely different reasons.

I would not consider a Mosin for a PAW if my other option was a pump shotgun, unless I expected to throw lead out to 500 y/m, and then I would prefer most other rifles over the Mosin. The charm of the Mosin is it's price and reliability. And truth be told, reliability is not always there. A 12 ga shotgun can reach out to 200 y/m with slugs. Hickok45 has a video on that. Others do as well.

A rifle really makes sense if you think the bad guys will have rifles and/or armor. If you think the bad guys will have neither of those, I would be pretty comfortable with just a shotgun and pistol.

If you think you might have to bug out in WROL, I would consider a rifle. Lighter ammo and possibly lighter weapon.

If you don't see "bad guys with armor and/or rifles" as a possibility, I"d stick with the shotgun. I"d encourage any in that situation to then get training with their shotgun and maintain the lessons of that training.

For folks like Boondock's friend, I would encourage them to get a less expensive fighting rifle and skip the doodads. A light is pretty important for HD. Otherwise, a weapon, some good mags, some good fighting ammo, and consistent training are what I would call "good enough."
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:12 pm

I have a rifle for home defense because a group of home invading bad guys may wear body armor. At least that's what the local paper reported several years ago when just such a group was arrested. I wanted a round that would easily defeat any armored bad guy. A good magazine capacity and longer sight radius are nice bonuses.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:24 pm

Boondock wrote:A friend of mine recently asked me a similar question. He's an avid pistol shooter who's come into a little money from an inheritance. For the last five years, he's really, really wanted an M-4.

Because he really, really wants an M-4.

His problem is not that he can't afford the weapon. He's never fired an AR before and is having a bit of sticker shock at the cost of ammo, the bells and whistles and how much he'd need to spend to become proficient.

I think he's going to hold off on his purchase.
+1 that is the thing...right now is a great time to buy an AR. You can get in with an S&W Sport or a Ruger AR for about $600, which is the cheapest ARs have been in the last decade. Unfortunately ammo hasn't gotten any cheaper all around. There is some sticker shock going from rimfire and pistol ammo to rifle ammo, but 7.62x39 & .223 is still cheaper than most other rifle ammo.

What I do know is if anyone wants to get an AR, now is the time to buy the rifle. I don't think its going to get cheaper...and if something happens and another panic starts up, those cheap prices will go away and it make take years for them to come back, if they ever come back.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm

My two cents. These will mimic many other posters. Please take this as additional support for their statements.

The purpose of a non hunting rifle in suburbia is because you want one. You do not need a rifle for home defense, you have other options. Realistically, you will never, ever need a gun for self defense.

Are you going to need to reach out and shoot someone at 200 yards in defense of your home? Are you kidding me? Your chances of you being struck by lightning on two separate occasions are greater.

A non hunting rifle in suburbia is a toy. They are fun. Marksmanship is a fun hobby. You won't be using it to defend your home from raiders once every summer.

If you want to pick up a range toy that's a pretty different question. You'll want to think about where you're likely to be shooting.
* What is the typical distance where you'll be shooting? If your goal is shooting at 100 yards that's really different than if your goal is 1,000 yards.
* What is your budget for ammo? Your budget and the distance of your shots will likely be pretty closely tied together. It costs more for the average shooter to shoot farther (accurately). Thinking this through will help tremendously when picking a caliber. Do you care if you're spending more than a dollar per round? How about 70 cents? How about 30 cents?
* Going with a pistol caliber carbine can (technically) help you save money because the ammo, and sometimes the magazines that you already have for pistols can be used for much longer distances with the longer barrel. This is in addition to it being cheaper to buy pistol ammo than rifle ammo (generally).
* You can get a lot of older rifles pretty inexpensively (everybody loves the SKS and the Mosin). I don't own anything in this genre but I've heard about some interesting stories in how their care differs from a lot of modern weapons. Basically, some of these weapons shoot really corrosive ammo that has to be really carefully cleaned. It's a small thing, but it's an extra hassle that not everyone is aware of at the time they make their initial purchase.

Pistol Caliber Carbines
9mm
The previously mentioned Kel Tech Sub2000 is great and can share mags from specific manufacturers (Beretta, S&W, Glock, Sig) in specific calibers (9mm, .40, .45). The Beretta CX4 storm is over priced. It seems to make more sense to consider one if you have the PX4 pistol in the same caliber because this allows the two to use the same mags. Some people really like the value priced Hi Point 995 (I've not used one, from what I can tell, the people who really don't like it seem to mostly dislike it because of the low price and Hi Point brand). You can find models of the AR in 9mm, but these will typically be expensive (Rock River Arms makes parts).

.22LR
There are a ridiculous number of .22LR rifle options out there. The previously mentioned Ruger 10/22 is great (I'd suggesting spitting out an extra few dollars for the takedown model) and pretty much anyone who has ever owned the 10/22 has really enjoyed it. There are tons of .22LR guns designed to look like other guns and they're everywhere.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Thanks for all the great input, everybody. Have a little thinking to do.
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm going to echo some of the folks here and say that the #1 reason you should get a rifle is because you want one. #2 should be marksmanship practice.

If you live near an active gun show circuit, you can take the time to browse through them and find a decent deal on a serviceable rifle that you can shoot inexpensively and for the fun of it - like zero11010 you can get old milsurp weapons for pretty cheap. I picked up a modified SKS plus three spare magazines, a "Chinese wonder bra"-style ammunition bandolier, and 500 rounds of ammunition for $300 at a gun show. It's not a pinpoint-accurate sniper rifle by any means, but it'll throw a 3-inch group at 100 yards with iron sights and my crappy vision. Plus it shoots standard 7.62x39 rounds, and some of the best I've found are rebranded Russian surplus - Brown Bear and Golden Tiger being my two favorites. By and large, they tend to shoot better with better accuracy than Remington, as well as being cheaper.

Or if you wanted to go with the rifle that beat the Nazis, you can still pick up a Mosin-Nagant for cheap, usually for $100 or so. Sometimes less. Their ammunition is harder to come by, and is usually old milsurp using Bergen primers - that's the corrosive ammunition you've got to watch out for. But so long as you clean your rifle after every range day, you're good to go.

This is my two cents. Those kinds of rifles are cheap enough that they won't hurt your pocketbook, fun to shoot, and are a major part of history. Plus, if you find out that you do enjoy rifle marksmanship, then you can save up for a real investment - getting a nice AR or AK to add to the mix.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

hondo

Post by hondo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:59 pm

You are asking wrong question, you should ask yourself why not?

As far as HD you are good to go, rule of thumb should be don't own more guns than shooters in the house, now most of people does not follow that rule.

Having a rifle for training is reason enough, also who knows at some point you could decide to start hunting.

No need to buy a 5000 dollar rifle, even it is not like it was decade ago there are still good deals to be found.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 pm

My original answer, that I started writing yesterday, was kind of a combination of both Woodsghost's and JeeperCreeper's. There's nothing wrong with buying an AK, AR, or whatever, just for recreational shooting. And it could flex from this primary role very adequately - appropriately, even - into the role of defensive tool. Also, an appropriately configured pump shotgun is as good a home defense weapon as a carbine, but it possesses a handful of other attributes that might make it a better (or worse) choice for some people. You'll have to make that decision.

I have a lot of weapons that don't serve any purpose. There are a bunch of weapons that sit in the locker, doing nothing more than taking up space. Maybe I ought to rid myself of them and get stuff that will be used... But then again, why? They're not hurting anything by simply existing.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:19 pm

LJ126 wrote: Also, an appropriately configured pump shotgun is as good a home defense weapon as a carbine,
The best quote I've seen regarding a shotgun as a home defense weapon is this: "I don't have to be an expert marksman to hit my target with a shotgun."
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”