CMMG AR-15 any good.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mikeyboy

CMMG AR-15 any good.

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:24 pm

I had someone ask me about this and I didn't know the answer. Honesty I didn't know CMMG were making full AR rifles until the Mutant came out this year. The only gauge I have is a CMMG .22lr conversion bolt kit which works fine.

The basic CMMG AR's are they poor quality, or are they decent budget AR like the S&W Sport.

Stercutus

Re: CMMG AR-15 any good.

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Don't personally own one. I know a few people that have them and have not heard in unusual complaints out of them about them.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Best I can tell they are pretty decent. Wont pretend to have first hand experience but Ive looked into them before and they seem fine. Their WASP treatment on their barrels sounds intriguing.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:56 pm

No experience with any of their rifles so I can't speak towards assembly quality but have a lot of their miscellaneous lower parts, etc. in almost every one of my ARs. No issues...

Also have one of their 8" 300BLK barrels in a suppressed pistol build and it shoots quite well. No issues after ~8 months and ~1K rounds through that one.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Inazone

Post by Inazone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:21 am

CMMG has been making ARs for years. A friend of mine who was a competitive shooter used a CMMG piston-driven AR and speaks very highly of them, but he sold it before we started shooting together, so I have no personal experience. Of course, comparing piston to DI isn't exactly apples to apples . . .
Excuse me, sir, you dropped some brass.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:05 pm

I've got one of their uppers that I originally bought for an SDM-type rifle - 20" medium contour barrel, free-float DD quad rail, M4 feed ramps. I've used it for the last couple of years on my 3-gun rifle, probably about 1500 rounds total without a hiccup with a variety of ammo (55, 62, 69, and 75 grain.)

It really, really liked Hornday Steel match 75 gr. Nickel-sized groups all day long at 100m off a bipod.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:05 pm

I've never had one of their complete rifles, but I've had a few of their stripped lowers. Once I've built them up, they've done OK. That being said: AR lowers have dropped in price so much that I can't justify buying one of their stripped lowers. I recently picked up a bunch of Bushmaster AR lowers for $61.25 a pop "out the door," including the lowers, shipping, FFL fee, sales tax, and background check. My understanding is that Bushmaster dumped a shitload of their stripped lowers, so I don't think this is going to change in the near future. CMMG's are what I'd consider to be "third tier" guns, and Bushies are what I'd consider to be "second tier" guns. Why would somebody buy a "third tier" lower when "second tier" lowers are so cheap? Of course, YMMV.

ETA: I got the lowers from Brownell's, not some wholesaler who gave me a discount for buyiing 40 at a pop. Advertised price was $49.99, regardless of how many you bought. Its definitely a buyer's market right now, and we're going to see a rather brutal shakeup amongst AR manufacturers, due to the post-2008/Newtown price absurdity. Lots of manufacturers have ramped up their ability to produce ARs, but the market simply has reached the point of saturation. At the last show I've been to (December 2014), you can get complete lowers for $150, and complete low-end guns for under $500. Things are going to get interesting. :lol:
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:03 pm

SMoAF wrote:I've never had one of their complete rifles, but I've had a few of their stripped lowers. Once I've built them up, they've done OK. That being said: AR lowers have dropped in price so much that I can't justify buying one of their stripped lowers. I recently picked up a bunch of Bushmaster AR lowers for $61.25 a pop "out the door," including the lowers, shipping, FFL fee, sales tax, and background check. My understanding is that Bushmaster dumped a shitload of their stripped lowers, so I don't think this is going to change in the near future. CMMG's are what I'd consider to be "third tier" guns, and Bushies are what I'd consider to be "second tier" guns. Why would somebody buy a "third tier" lower when "second tier" lowers are so cheap? Of course, YMMV.

ETA: I got the lowers from Brownell's, not some wholesaler who gave me a discount for buyiing 40 at a pop. Advertised price was $49.99, regardless of how many you bought. Its definitely a buyer's market right now, and we're going to see a rather brutal shakeup amongst AR manufacturers, due to the post-2008/Newtown price absurdity. Lots of manufacturers have ramped up their ability to produce ARs, but the market simply has reached the point of saturation. At the last show I've been to (December 2014), you can get complete lowers for $150, and complete low-end guns for under $500. Things are going to get interesting. :lol:

I recently was going to buy a Bushy XM15 stripped lower. I went through an entire box of 50 and not one would drop Gen 3 Pmags. YMMV. I got an Anderson instead and both of my Andersons drop every mag I own. May be a dealbreaker for some.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:16 am

First: I'm sorry I come off as a snob. It's one of my many weaknesses. Mea Culpa.

Secondly, I've only built four lowers up at this point. I've never kept track of the pmag variants, but all four Bushmaster lowers dropped both loaded and unloaded pmags that were manufactured in February of 2009, IIRC. When I read your post, talk about making my nutsack contract, since I still have a few tubs full of the 02/09 vintage pmags stashed away. :lol:

While this may seem snobby, I don't mean to be. Currently where I am, at a decent gun show, I've been seeing bargain basement NIB ARs for just under $500. NIB Colt ARs are running at $850, NIB Colt ARs with Magpul furniture are going for 900. After Thanksgiving, my local Wal-Mart had NIB Sig ARs for $800, and they weren't moving. I've been seeing police trade ins (rough on the outside, generally almost perfect internally, would need the tritium replaced) for $530, most of which appear to be Armalites.

I'll keep one sentiment from my first post: there's a huge shakeup in the AR marketplace that's obviously starting to get brutal. If there wasn't, Colts wouldn't be selling to what they are, and Brownells wouldn't be retailing Bushmaster lowers for under $50 a pop. If I were to be looking to pick up a NIB AR, I'd go with one of the "well known" guns. In 50 years, you know that companies like Colt and Sig, and even Bushmaster will still be well known, even if they folded tomorrow. We don't know about CMMG and Andersons. While Bushmaster isn't top tier, they did have the government contract at one point. Additionally, I was looking at a clear plastic hybrid lower, which will cost me more than the lowers I just picked up. (I'm getting the hybrid lower just to mess with people). Anyway, sorry I came across as a dick. Honestly, I probably AM a dick IRL. I'm not proud of it.

procyon

Post by procyon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:33 am

AS556 wrote: I went through an entire box of 50 and not one would drop Gen 3 Pmags. YMMV.
I have run into a pair of Bushmaster lowers that were rather picky about what mags they would run. Thought it was just a fluke, but it sounds like it may be more of an issue than I realized.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

AS556

Post by AS556 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:10 am

Oh man, I didn't mean you were being a dick at all :lol:

IMO, there really are no "tiers" regarding stripped lowers. They are, in effect, all the same except the rollmark. I went with the Anderson because the mags all drop free, I have had good luck with one in the past and the engraving is very crisp. I was actually quite surprised the Bushys wouldnt drop the Gen 3s.

One other thing, lower end ARs may be around 600ish, but in today's market I built 2 BCMs for around $700 each. That, to me, is unbeatable.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:58 pm

Hey, look. I read my post, and if somebody else had posted it, my first thought was "Sweet FSM, that guy's a total douche." It's a flaw in my character, like biting my fingernails and breaking truly rank gas in mixed company in small rooms with poor ventilation. I try to not do it, but still, sometimes I need to apologize, but at that point, it's already too late. Anyway, let's move on.

I've always heard the "there are only three lower receiver manufacturers." I'm not sure that it's true once you get into the "big" manufacturers. I mean that I can't see Colt, Sig, FN, or Bushmaster contracting out the heart and backbone of one of their major platforms to a third party. Springs and roll pins? Sure. Lowers? I doubt it. I've noticed a definite difference between my CMMG and Doublestar lowers and the Bushmaster lowers in a manner that wouldn't affect function. If you hold the stripped lowers by putting a finger through the threaded hole that the buffer tube goes into and then flick the mag well with a finger on the other hand, the CMMG and Doublestar lowers sound the same, and the Bushmaster lower sounds noticeably different, even with my messed up hearing. It's a much higher "ting!" sound. I've got DPMS lowers at my home, and I'll try one of those the next time I'm home, in a week or three. Again, this wouldn't affect performance, but still. Obviously, I do have a tier system regarding lowers and/or complete guns. Colts are historically the "gold standard" that all others are measured by. All other things being identical, from a perspective of "what'll it be worth in 50 years," I do think that Colt, Sig, Bushmaster, and FN will either hold their value better or appreciate more than a DPMS, CMMG, Doublestar, or Anderson guns and/or lowers will. That's my opinion, and I stand by it.

The other thing I'd reiterate is that prices reflect the current over-saturation of the market. While it will not last forever, it's definitely a buyers market right now. If you shop well, you can get lowers for $50, LPKs for $30-$35, complete uppers for $300, et cetera. You need to look, but there are some screaming deals out there. BTW: I'm not pulling those numbers out of my ass. I've purchased items at those prices within the past 3 months, although the $30 LPKs were limited to five LPKs per purchaser, and I had to pay shipping for the LPKs and stripped lowers. Of course, YMMV.

To get back on topic: CMMG guns and/or lowers are functional. I own more than one of their lowers, and I'm happy with them. Still, the market is in flux. Shop around. It's a buyer's market.

complex57

Post by complex57 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:51 pm

I bought a M4gery from them at a gunshow ages ago. They used to be known for their 'bargain bin' rifles that they would push at shows for around $650.

The gas key could have been staked a bit better, but other than that I had no complaints. Functioned fine and was a nice basic rifle.

I actually gave it to my dad after a series of shoulder injuries left him looking for something with mild recoil. It hasn't given him any issues too my knowledge.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”