Practicality of a Post Apocalyptic Sniper?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dee69chevi

Practicality of a Post Apocalyptic Sniper?

Post by dee69chevi » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Hey everyone, so I was wondering how practical it would be to have a sniper, or someone with a sniper type rifle, in your group. I feel I am experienced enough to make a shot out to about 500ythds, with a good rifle. I compete out to 600 with an AR15 (5.56 iron sights). I feel if I were alone I would be as sneaky as possible, and keep distance from any danger if possible. What are your guys opinions on having a sniper in your group and even being the Marksman yourself if you plan to be alone?
Thanks for any opinions,
KALI.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Practicality of a Post Apocalyptic Sniper?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:28 pm

In a fantasy world, it would be very practical.

In a real world, not at all. Why would you be taking shots at people at that distance? It's not a video game where "bad guys" are just inhuman characters that you pick off because you need to accomplish a mission. In any disaster, sniping people is murder. If the PAW occurs, where there are no rules/no laws, sniping people so far away is not good for your survival... unless you want to be a criminal/marauder, and that won't be discussed here. Just because a "collapse" happens, does that mean you no longer have morals and you shoot first and ask questions later?

If you are competent at that distance with iron sights, if for some reason the 0.000000000000000001% chance of a situation occurs where you need to take a long shot (a moral shot that depends on the lives of yourself or others, by someone who is a true and imminent threat)a regular rifle will do. No need getting a specialty rifle for that rare chance.

Now, if you want to rationalize a new range toy for punching paper, go for it, that's a whole other story.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Having someone who is capable of shooting at extended ranges isn't going to hurt, but even in a total extended breakdown of society it probably won't be needed.

If you have people who enjoy shooting at long range now as a hobby that's great and you can check off another box in the "highly unlikely, but nice to know we have the ability" column. If a person isn't particularly interested in long range shooting as a hobby then the time and money are better spent elsewhere.

Now if we're talking not just long range shooting, but sticking someone with a big, heavy bolt-action rifle and a big, heavy scope instead of a semiautomatic carbine that almost never seems like a good idea. Maybe if you have a lot of land and an improbable number of people in your group.

praharin

Post by praharin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:05 pm

nope
Jungle Recon Trooper wrote: The jungle does strange things to a man
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:34 pm

While I think snipers are wonderful assets for the military and my grandfather in-law was a Vietnam sniper, I'll have to agree with everyone else here. Can you guarantee that that person you have in your cross hairs is without a doubt going to kill your family, or other innocents if you do not end their life with a shot from 500 yards? This is of course assuming that world has been completely turned upside and rule of law no longer exists.
Now, that all being said, if you do have a retreat or otherwise secure location after the world has been turned upside down, and if you have a gate or other well defended entrance that your community is using as a defense of the community. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a sniper proving hidden over watch for the guys stationed at the gate.
Somebody much more knowledgeable has some writing on life as "lone wolf".
http://www.maxvelocitytactical.com/2014 ... perations/

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:54 pm

I figured this topic would come up with the movie out.
Why would you be taking shots at people at that distance?
That is what it comes down to. So lets see... if we are talking about the fantasy PAW...
- Zombies
- Killer Robots
- The Infected
- Cujo
- Chupacabra

If we are talking the "real world" lets see what the laws say and let your conscience dictate the rest.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/04/ ... ense.laws/

Far from complete.

Alabama as an example. They are kind of middle of the road:
You can use deadly force in self-defense or defense of others if you reasonably believe someone is using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force while committing or about to commit any of the following crimes: burglary, kidnapping, assault in the first or second degree, burglary, robbery, forcible rape, or forcible sodomy. Self-defense is also allowed against a person who is unlawfully and forcefully entering, or already has entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or federally licensed nuclear power facility, or is in the process of sabotaging or attempting to sabotage a federally licensed nuclear power facility, or is attempting to remove, or has forcefully removed, a person against his or her will from any dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle when the person has a legal right to be there.
You can do this anywhere you have a legal right to be.

So for a sniper to be useful he has to
- be in a position to cover someone
- where a protected person has a legal right to be
- that person would have to be under threat of serious personal injury/ sexual assault, abduction etc.
- the shooter would have to know this for sure and not be guessing

That is a pretty tough standard to meet.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

dee69chevi

Post by dee69chevi » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:47 pm

i actually haven't seen the movie yet. I'm just a decent range shooter and was looking at new rifles today. this idea just popped into my head. :D

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Yins have already stated that everyone and their mom will already have some sort of rifle capable of multi-hundred meter accuracy.
Couple that fact with the fact that not everyone and their mom will have the same code of ethics we do, I'd like the capability to engage beyond their maximum effective range.

Besides....overwatch, security, observation, hunting.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:27 pm

My preps are community based so I and others in my close knit and highly inter-related small village can get through anything from rampaging wildfires, major earthquakes, tornados, and also all the far less realistic stuff that would result in a Your-On-Your-Own SHTF scenario. My belief is we're only on our own until we can reorganize the community and get the basic 4 back online. My old school immigrant stock people can do it.

So yes, a set of long range riflemen and the equipment they need for overwatch, ect is on the table in my plan. In my opinion, if you need to set up a guard post or lightly manned barricade, there's no reason not to put an aged combat vet who's a capable longshooter on overwatch of that position.

My goals fit Zengunfighter's story very closely. That's probably why I love checking my plans against his story development.
Boldly going nowhere

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:44 pm

I can see a use for someone who is skilled at long distance shooting within certain circumstances. For example, as a member of a community's militia or standing defense force, acting under the authority of the community's leadership. Or as a member of a partisan group fighting against foreign invaders.

I can even see a chance for defensive long-range shooting for individuals and small family groups if they had been threatened (I.E. "When I come back I'll burn you all out!") and the fellow or group is spotted coming back.

Beyond that, though, not really.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:13 pm

So I had this flash of insight tonight:

If Russia was on my border, and I was looking at history and seeing their actions against Chechnya, Georgia, and Ukraine,...or the whole "Iron Curtain" thing.... I would take the idea of a "DMR" in the team pretty seriously.

Or maybe if ISIS was rampaging in my neighborhood.....

As it happens though, my country is bordered by Mexico and Canada and ISIS is pretty far away. Well, maybe if I was actually on the border of Mexico, I might consider a DMR in the team should society collapse and cartels decide to impose their own order.

Any other situation in America that does not VERY closely resemble those above would make me feel a "sniper" is unnecessary, probably unethical, and most certainly illegal.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:31 pm

Biggest hypothetical use for a "sniper rifle" for me would be attempting to disable vehicles full of armed aggressors trying to come crashing through the front gate to my property. That being the case, it's going to need to be a large caliber (.338 lapua and up) and it's not exactly going to be something I'm carrying around with me. In fact, if they're still willing to come after me after I disable their vehicle with that kind of rifle, I'm getting the hell outta there asap and the rifle is getting left behind (hopefully in permanently disabled condition).

All in all though, that's pretty low on my list of list of potential preps. I've got other more practical things I could spend my time and money on.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Honestly you would probably get more out of this skill from a hunting standpoint than a self defense standpoint. Being able to take game shots no one else can would be a great asset to have, assuming where you are isn't over hunted at that point.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:53 pm

To my eyes, the purpose of a ''sniper'' would differ to what people would think.

to me a ''sniper'' is : a person specialized into discreet observation of a area, equipped with long range observation tool, and/or long range weapon.

the purpose of the sniper in the post apocalypse scenario would be :

-to observe and report activity of a designed area, reporting possible threat , or opportunity of gaining resource from a long/safe distance observation (AKA: hunt or spotting merchant)

-to neutralize possible threat for a long/safe distance after getting confirmation order or by judgement.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:03 am

I had a pretty long winded response typed up. After re-reading it, I decided it probably wasn't worth the effort and I could sum it up a lot quicker. IMO, no matter the situation, a guy/girl with good gear and the skills to utilize it will always be valuable. Yes, it's a "no shit" answer, but I'm trying to keep this response short.

IMO, if you have a precision rifle, good reloads, drop charts, good LRF, spotting scope, can half-ass read wind speeds, and have a bit of actual skill behind the trigger you'll be an asset. At least in my eyes.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:26 am

a sniper, observig would only be a good use of man power if the sniper had physical limatatins that prevented them from doing other needed work. as has been mentioned it is too hard to gusee at the intentions of someone 500 yards off.
if they have good eyes, could be a good job for soemone with heart problems ect.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:04 am

Hunting
Observing at distances

Maaaaybe a warning shot at extreme distances?
Put a round at someone's feet at 600 yards as they and their unfriendly companions are walking towards your camp?
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:09 am

Warning shots, deer snipers, handicapped snipers...the only thing we're missing now is someone suggesting a shotgun for 1000yd shooting. Any takers?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:46 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Warning shots, deer snipers, handicapped snipers...the only thing we're missing now is someone suggesting a shotgun for 1000yd shooting. Any takers?
Rifled slugs, right?
"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:45 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:Yins have already stated that everyone and their mom will already have some sort of rifle capable of multi-hundred meter accuracy.
Couple that fact with the fact that not everyone and their mom will have the same code of ethics we do, I'd like the capability to engage beyond their maximum effective range.

Can you determine intent at that range reliably?
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:47 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Warning shots, deer snipers, handicapped snipers...the only thing we're missing now is someone suggesting a shotgun for 1000yd shooting. Any takers?
QFT
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:59 pm

Smash05 wrote:
QFT
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

dee69chevi

Post by dee69chevi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:34 pm

See this is what i wanted, input from a more experienced standpoint. like mentioned above, this may just be me wanting to justify a new ranged toy. :rofl:

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Smash05 wrote:
olbaid_dratsab wrote:Yins have already stated that everyone and their mom will already have some sort of rifle capable of multi-hundred meter accuracy.

Can you determine intent at that range reliably?
In some limited, highly specific circumstances, maybe. Say, your friends are over there, and someone attacks them. It'd be nice to eliminate the threat without endangering your friends. The likelihood of this situation occurring? Minimal at best. But if it helps justify a range toy, I say go for it.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”