Vehicle rifle rack

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Vehicle rifle rack

Post by Phoenix David » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:15 pm

Lets say you had a full size truck with rear seats that fold up and you wanted a floor mount that could secure a rifle but still allow the seat to be folded down and used. By secure I mean lock it in so that a key is required to release it.

And ideas of who makes a mount like that?
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

praharin

Re: Vehicle rifle rack

Post by praharin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Have you done any measuring to see how much clearance you have? It would really help with good recommendations.

Here is one option I've seen

http://www.duhabin.com/ford-truck/ford- ... -04-08.htm

I like it because it would also protect it from crud from anyone's feet that happen to be back there
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Sorry it's a Chevy 2014 Double cab so it Dimensions: L 54-3/4" x W 16" x H 8-3/4"

I looked at that type of bin but it didn't strike me as very secure.

praharin

Post by praharin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:24 am

Why not? It's out of sight, and locks.

I think you could also use this an eye bolt here and lock the rifle to the floor.

ETA: Looked at the 2014 Chevy double cab model, and it doesn't show any locking feature. Sorry

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:56 am

have you looked into mounts for LEO's trucks.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:05 pm

I used that search term I used and found some good pages, thanks

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:32 pm

I've always liked the idea of a roof mount for an AR car gun, but I've never seen one for sale. I know they're out there, but I've never found one.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:43 am

I don't mean to jump up on my soapbox and preach, but let me do just that for a moment.

Generally speaking, I am opposed (greatly) to storing firearms in vehicles. While there are better (higher security) and worse ways (glove box, trunk, under the seat) of doing it, many weapons are stolen from vehicles every year. This is one of the largest sources of illegal firearms - weapons that are then turned around to hurt people.

And almost without pause, people point out that weapons are carried securely in police vehicles every day. Weapons are also stolen from police vehicles. During the November unrest following the Grand Jury decision for P.O. Wilson in Saint Louis County, an AR-15 was stolen from a police vehicle in North County. That's just one of many examples, one that may kill someone before being recovered.

While there are smarter, more secure ways of doing storing weapons inside of a car, even these measures can be defeated given enough time. If someone steals your car, they can break into your rack at their own leisure from within a garage (or other place of discretion.) This, however, can also be addressed.

1) Do you have a passive anti-theft system or alarm on your vehicle? Does it have GPS tracking, and can it be disabled remotely in the event of a theft? Tinted windows? These should be considered before altering your vehicle to store firearms.

2) How much did you spend on your truck? How much did you spend on your rifle? How much are you considering spending to store the rifle safely? It is not something your should skimp on, because it's a big deal. Have the alterations performed by professionals, and get a good product. If you really wanna be Secret Squirrel, pull the plates off of your car, remove any identifying paperwork, and tow it to a shop out of your immediate area for the work.

3) Don't tell people about the alterations. Seriously. Unless they're truly trustworthy, don't go there.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

tonydedo25

Post by tonydedo25 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 pm

LJ126 wrote:I don't mean to jump up on my soapbox and preach, but let me do just that for a moment.

Generally speaking, I am opposed (greatly) to storing firearms in vehicles. While there are better (higher security) and worse ways (glove box, trunk, under the seat) of doing it, many weapons are stolen from vehicles every year. This is one of the largest sources of illegal firearms - weapons that are then turned around to hurt people.

And almost without pause, people point out that weapons are carried securely in police vehicles every day. Weapons are also stolen from police vehicles. During the November unrest following the Grand Jury decision for P.O. Wilson in Saint Louis County, an AR-15 was stolen from a police vehicle in North County. That's just one of many examples, one that may kill someone before being recovered.

While there are smarter, more secure ways of doing storing weapons inside of a car, even these measures can be defeated given enough time. If someone steals your car, they can break into your rack at their own leisure from within a garage (or other place of discretion.) This, however, can also be addressed.

1) Do you have a passive anti-theft system or alarm on your vehicle? Does it have GPS tracking, and can it be disabled remotely in the event of a theft? Tinted windows? These should be considered before altering your vehicle to store firearms.

2) How much did you spend on your truck? How much did you spend on your rifle? How much are you considering spending to store the rifle safely? It is not something your should skimp on, because it's a big deal. Have the alterations performed by professionals, and get a good product. If you really wanna be Secret Squirrel, pull the plates off of your car, remove any identifying paperwork, and tow it to a shop out of your immediate area for the work.

3) Don't tell people about the alterations. Seriously. Unless they're truly trustworthy, don't go there.
Using that logic, people shouldn't store guns in their homes either. After all, more guns are stolen out of homes than vehicles. It is the largest source of illegal firearms. And those guns hurt people even more than guns stolen out of vehicles.

Or... perhaps we recognize that OP is being a responsible gun owner by researching the options to adequately secure his firearms, and we treat him like one, instead of lecturing him like he's a child.

praharin

Post by praharin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:29 pm

tonydedo25 wrote:
LJ126 wrote:I don't mean to jump up on my soapbox and preach, but let me do just that for a moment.

Using that logic, people shouldn't store guns in their homes either. After all, more guns are stolen out of homes than vehicles. It is the largest source of illegal firearms. And those guns hurt people even more than guns stolen out of vehicles.

Or... perhaps we recognize that OP is being a responsible gun owner by researching the options to adequately secure his firearms, and we treat him like one, instead of lecturing him like he's a child.
I agree with your sentiment, and also don't like LJ126's condescending tone, I can bolt a gunsafe to a concrete floor in my basement, making it essentially a permanent fixture in my home. Cars are mobile by definition, and as such not as secure as a home. The reason most guns are stolen from homes rather than cars is because 1: most people don't keep guns in their cars, and 2 far too many people don't properly secure firearms in their homes.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:52 am

Guys, let me apologize if my post had a "tone," because it certainly wasn't implied. I have a tendency of both speaking and writing matter-of-factly, and this is a common misunderstanding for those reading that which I've written. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

And as an aside, I commend the OP for researching into a secure means of storing their rifle in their truck, rather than simply throwing it in a case behind the seat. I guess I should've led with that - it would've cut the unintended tone out of the post.

Praharin points out exactly why a vehicle is inherently less secure than one's home. It's not a fixed structure. It can also easily be searched by simply passing alongside and glancing in while it's parked. Additionally, gun owners have a horrible tendency of broadcasting that they're gun owners with bumper stickers. Most gun owners don't advertise their home the same way. There are other factors at play that we're leaving out, too.

An interesting observation from my professional experience: cars and trucks with NRA stickers are frequently broken into at Forest Park (and surely elsewhere.) The clouter/s will watch you leave your vehicle, smash a window, open the trunk, glove and cabin storage boxes, and search under the seats, occasionally taking nothing if a firearm is not present (though they'll take easily hidden valuable items as well.) They take minutes at most. These weapons, when stolen, present a very real risk to those of us trying to enforce the law. In metropolitan areas, this happens a lot more than you might think, and are one of my least favorite service calls.

While I'm generally opposed to firearms being stored in cars - mostly because so many people do it dangerously - I'm very supportive of those who take the steps to do it as securely and safely as possible. And if something were to "go down" I'd be very relieved for one of these folks to show up with a rifle to help me out.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Obviously I can't speak for everybody. In my case, I generally only keep a rifle in my vehicle when I'm going to and from work. This is because odds are that if if I'm going to have a problem, it's most likely going to be going to or from work. I do leave my magazines and other gear in my vehicle 24/7/365, but the guns themselves don't get left in my car over night at my house. When I'm at work, my vehicle is parked in a parking lot that's fairly secure, and is filled with marked police vehicles. My main concern is the ability to get to my rifle quickly, and to keep it out of the way. Normally the only time I stop going to and from work is to pick up a few items at a store, like milk, bread, et cetera, which takes less that 15 minutes. This doesn't include stops for things like gas, in which my vehicle is still in my sight. I don't have bumper stickers on my vehicle except for my ZS "fleet number" and my license plate holder, which identifies my occupation. My license plate itself is a standard, non vanity/organization plate. In other words, I feel that having a way to keep my rifle out of the way but still within easy reach is a good thing, and having a rifle rack that can be locked is far better than just leaving it in a soft case in the back seat.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

silentpoet1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead.

Post by silentpoet1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:50 am

Shouldn't be too hard to take some measurements and weld up a rack for behind or under the seat that would be pretty secure. Probably cost less than 20 dollars in steel and hardware. But it probably wouldn't be very pretty. Fortunately my truck is pretty basic and old and ugly.

My first idea is basically U shaped brackets that bolt to the floor. Some form of cross piece up top with a stout lock. Probably could use something like 3/16 inch steel and it would deter at least casual thieves. Could add some padding to keep from scratching it up. Roof mount might have to be done a bit lighter and currently I can't weld al.

When I get a chance I might sketch something up. Might be a week or so. Possibly by the weekend.

When I look at some stuff on the market I am forced to make my own stuff. Got a cup holder at Wally World that broke in less than 5 minutes from purchase. So I grabbed some spare rebar and angle iron and made me a rock solid cup holder. Look at a poor selection or a poor product as a chance to create something better.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

SNAFU-M1A

Post by SNAFU-M1A » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:07 pm

A little late to the party but wanted to add a couple. If money isn't a problem there is the truck bunker. It looks really good but super expensive.

http://bedgunsafe.com/truck-bunker/

If you want to do cheap but secure look at the Santa Cruz Gunlock cuff lock & wire it in yourself.

http://santacruzgunlocks.com/products/m ... -firearms/

Or how about the Falcon safe from SecureIt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ZFXOJMNRg

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”