Are there any sources for AOW double barreled shotguns?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Are there any sources for AOW double barreled shotguns?

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:04 am

I'm pretty much at the point where I have all my bases covered for firearm stuff, and would love to splurge on something that has zero practical use, but +100 for awesome factor. What better than a classic sawed off shotgun? I've been obsessed with them since I was a little kid, and it would satiate my inner fanboy in so many ways. Too many movies and TV shows to count...

However, here comes the hiccup. I'm willing to jump thru all the annoying hoops, I live in a state that allows AOW's, but not SBS. That means I could go thru the proper channels and obtain a Serbu Super Shorty if I wanted... But there are no channels available to convert a shotgun into anything with a short barrel. It must have been originally built as an AOW, or it won't fly down here.

So I want to know if there are any sources for "lupara" style shotguns made from a virgin receiver?

This isn't exactly a priority, but it is something I would like to know I had the option of doing (in this state). I know the "next best thing" is a howdah style pistol, but I really want the "real deal". Not some black powder stand in.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Are there any sources for AOW double barreled shotguns?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:19 am

My Gooogle-Fu turned up nothing. I found a few custom manufacturers lised from other forums, but their sites were dead ends: John Norrell, OC Armory in CA, and Denny's Guns. But their sites were either dead or unrelated.

Sadly, you might not be able to live your Mad Max dreams unless you can talk to an FFL about buying a blank receiver if that is even possible and building you one.

On a side note, I wonder how many will tell you to SBS an old used double barrel and not read that you need an AOW...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 am

Guess I only have a passing familiarity with the rules, but can you take a pistol grip only shotgun and convert it to an AOW? I thought that was okay, as long as it never had a stock.

Fake edit: Doesn't help you with the double barrel aspect, or at least I've never seen a PGO side x side. But I think Arnie carried a chopped pump in TERMINATOR. :?
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:17 am

I saw a double barrel AOW made from a Stevens shotgun out at a shop in Portland a few weeks ago. I can't remember the name of the shop for the life of me though.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

WutsFrequencyKeneth

Post by WutsFrequencyKeneth » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:03 am

Things like this are a custom item. Call up any NFA manufacturing FFL that you think would do this and find an NFA dealer locally and have it sent to them for transfer. Manufacture is $200 if it's your gun, or it's included in the manufacturers tax-stamp if they make it. Then it's a $5 transfer to you (and anyone else) so I would just let the manufacturer deal with sourcing the gun. They may be able to find a bare receiver or they can legally "destroy" the receiver of a real shotgun, and then manufacture an AOW from the non-firearm, destroyed parts. Not everyone would be entirely willing to do that because it is no easy task to put a receiver together after it's been destroyed per BATFE guidelines. It takes a talented welder, some machining, and typically a decent bit of hand work.

You just need to find someone that does that sort of custom work and can get it flipped around in a decent amount of time. And it won't be cheap. It's not easy to find a double barrel that's never had a buttstock attached. The only avenue I could expect would be to see if a shotgun manufacturer sends a barrelled receiver which... good luck.

But surely if you ask around custom shops, and mention Mad Max, they'll immediately know what you're asking for, at least.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:38 am

Something resembling this (?):

8-)

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:02 am

Can you form 1 an AoW? Then you just buy a virgin receiver and register is right away as a AoW. That's how I did my SBRs, never built them as anything except an SBR. I'm not sure if you can 4473 as a receiver at point of purchase, ask you FFL.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

WutsFrequencyKeneth

Post by WutsFrequencyKeneth » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:28 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:Can you form 1 an AoW? Then you just buy a virgin receiver and register is right away as a AoW. That's how I did my SBRs, never built them as anything except an SBR. I'm not sure if you can 4473 as a receiver at point of purchase, ask you FFL.
Finding a bare-receiver shotgun that's never been built is very difficult.

Also, building a shotgun is not terribly easy. It's nothing like slapping AR crap together. And if you sub the work out to a smith, he'd have to be licensed to work on NFA items, at which point you may as well just have them do the whole process.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:40 am

http://www.paladinarmory.com/SBSAOW.htm

Looks like these guys could help.

e-mail: paladin@paladinarmory.com
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”