300BLK Tavor?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

300BLK Tavor?

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:28 pm

So I'm starting to hear rumors over on 300 BlK Talk and other places about a 300BLK conversion barrel and/or a complete IWI Tavor chambered in 300BLK.

Any of y'all bullpup fanboys heard anything about this?

She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks I already have too damn many rifles but man that would be a lot of fun...

Edit: I'll start the rumor now, so you can all say you heard it here first! If the IDF were to completely switch over to 300BLK, that would be a great (relatively) small test bed for big green.

I love my 5.56 rifles but really like, and frankly prefer, my 300BLK guns out to ~250 yards or so. Shooting subsonic suppressed is soooooooo much fun!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: 300BLK Tavor?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:08 am

I haven't heard anything... but if we wanna play the "assume" game, I don't think they will... at least for a while. The Tavor is a greatly civilianized version of the Israeli weapon, so unless the civilian market is the beta-testing for the military .300 BLK (which I do not believe the .300 BLK is widely used in any military capacity) I do not see it happening for a while.

It would be easy though, as the .300 BLK is based off the .223... but I don't think the Tavor is a huge money maker yet. So trying to take away some AR business on a round that is already just beyond a "cult following" status seems like bad business. But what do I know, I am just a guy on the internet.

Let's keep dreaming though, a .300 BLK Tavor would be a sweet yet expensive toy
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:57 am

I'm not sure how serious they were, but IWI at one point said they needed 40,000 rounds to test with first. That being when ammo in general was still scarce it amounted to "not yet."
JeeperCreeper wrote:I haven't heard anything... but if we wanna play the "assume" game, I don't think they will... at least for a while. The Tavor is a greatly civilianized version of the Israeli weapon, so unless the civilian market is the beta-testing for the military .300 BLK (which I do not believe the .300 BLK is widely used in any military capacity) I do not see it happening for a while.

It would be easy though, as the .300 BLK is based off the .223... but I don't think the Tavor is a huge money maker yet. So trying to take away some AR business on a round that is already just beyond a "cult following" status seems like bad business. But what do I know, I am just a guy on the internet.

Let's keep dreaming though, a .300 BLK Tavor would be a sweet yet expensive toy
IWI was hoping to sell 6,000 rifles in the first year of operations. In the first nine months 15,000 were sold. I'm pretty sure the Tavor has made lots of people lots of money. http://israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=485&ArticleID=2800

300BLK might not be too far away. IWI US has been kinda hammered with demand for the rifle itself so they've been moving a bit slowly with other stuff but things are moving along. The 9mm kit has been out for a while but recently they've got their online store open, made spare parts publicly available, and introduced a new color (OD green).

IWI has been pretty conservative with how they handle things (for example, they want you to send your rifle back to get it other-hand converted so that they can be sure of headspacing) so it might take a while, but I think there's a good chance for a 300BLK rifle or barrel to reach market.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:03 am

When I said that the Tavor wasn't a huge money maker, I was comparing it to the HUGE AR-15 market in the U.S... I know that the Tavor was a success to IWI, but a few thousand do not compare to the thousands upon thousands of AR-15s... I was just thinking that the Tavor .300 BLK might not be worth taking a chunk of the .300 BLK AR-15 market just yet.

But clearly you know more on this subject than I, so thank you for clearing up my slip up!! :clap:
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:17 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:When I said that the Tavor wasn't a huge money maker, I was comparing it to the HUGE AR-15 market in the U.S... I know that the Tavor was a success to IWI, but a few thousand do not compare to the thousands upon thousands of AR-15s... I was just thinking that the Tavor .300 BLK might not be worth taking a chunk of the .300 BLK AR-15 market just yet.

But clearly you know more on this subject than I, so thank you for clearing up my slip up!! :clap:
It certainly makes me curious about how many units the big AR manufacturers sold (each or as a group) in the same time period. I mean, how does the Tavor compete vs any single AR manufacturer? The aftermarket is moving along pretty well.

I kind of suspect the Tavor's premium price means those who buy it are more likely to spend more money on aftermarket parts than the average AR buyer. Plus people who buy a newfangled (except, kinda ten years old) bullpup might also be more likely to adopt newfangled calibers.

Like you, I don't really know anything - I just have my suspicions. And obviously fanboy hopes. :awesome:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:31 am

I suspect we'll see an aftermarket version with an adjustable gas block before an IWI version.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”