A story about a Mauser 98k

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

A story about a Mauser 98k

Post by Makarov » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:26 am

So, 4 years ago in June I was at the range, discussing Mauser 98k's, and their continuous popularity as a self defense gun against polar bears on Svalbard (they are really cheap and always work), I was arguing the need for a upgrade. So I went home, searched the net, and found a Kongsberg KV59, which is a 98k the Norwegian army got rebuilt into a sharpshooting rifle in 7.62x51 NATO. These rifles are known for their accuracy (having a Kongsberg Hammerforged barrel and a Kongsberg made trigger), and since I already got a Hk91 in the same caliber I also got ammo commonality. So I called up the seller and bought the rifle.

This is how it looked like when it arrived summer 2010:

Originally I intended to cut the barrel, add a Boyds stock and some new iron sights from Williams and call it quits, as it was going to be my "polar bear gun".

Then I started my BSN studies, spend a lot of $ on AR stuff and "forgot" about it. Fast forward 3 years, I've gotten my BSN, started working as a nurse, and have more disposable cash and the need for a do-it-all bolt action rifle.

The goal of this rifle was as following;
  • It should always work
    Have reasonable accuracy
    Have loose magazines
    Be in a "standard caliber" and have ammo commonality with other guns I own
    Have a threaded barrel with flashider
    Have custom sling placement
    Picatinny rail for the scope
    Picatinny rail for bipod-mount
While looking into options (Mossberg MVP and Ruger GSR was amongst the rifles I looked into), discussing and comparing, the Mauser project kinda came back into focus. A buddy of mine loves the Mauser, and own several rebuild into hunting rifles (Story time; After WWII there was a lot of them in Norway, and it became the first gun for the new homeguard, rechambered into .30-06. When it was replaced, all the guns flooded the civilian market, and even today they are easy to find for approx $150). Now rebuilding a Mauser into a hunting rifle is no longer considered a cheap option, you can buy a new gun with better features for less, so I was hesitant.
But seeing my one of my buddy's Mauser made me change my mind, and after a call to the gunsmith who build that rifle project "Ridiculously-Expensive-Mauser" came into action.

I ordered a CDI DBM and a Dakota Arms M-70 safety, a Tubbs speed kit and sling mounts through Midway (got dealer pricing via a buddy), 3pcs 10-round AICS style magazines from Alpha Industries, a Boyds stock + a Pachmayer accelerator pad directly from Boyds and a Magpul MS1 sling and a Smith Vortex flash hider from Brownells. Unfortunately Brownells changed their export-list in January, and dropped the Smith from the package (making it a helluva expensive sling when you add shipping...). Discussing this and my options for a helical flash hider with the smith he said "I'll make you a custom one", and I gave him free hands in this. He also talked me into doing a double finish, so the rifle is fully parked', and then painted in Guncote Satin Black.

I handed over the rifle in early February, and picked it up on Tuesday.
Added a Scmidt & Bender 6X42 hunting scope (subject to change), and had a good day at the range yesterday, sighting in the scope and testing accuracy (with .mil ammo).

Obligatory Pr0n:

Rifle at home, scope and bipod added (I use a LaRue on the Harris). The barrel is cut to 45 cm (approx 18"), to conform with Swedish hunting laws (here in Norway we can have 40cm barrels, but 45 cm is a better option if I ever want to pop over the border for a hunt):

Detail of the action with the DBM. The action is bedded into the stock, and the stock is finished with what the smith called "a simple oil coat", which to me looked like lacquer at first because it was so damn thick and smooth...

Detail of the Picatinny for the bipod. The smith had shaped the piece so it is parallel to the barrel, and it's screwed on from the inside(!). While it is really nice and fancy work, I was at first concerned that the LaRue mount would touch the stock in the back, but fortunately it was "lots" of clearance :D

The custom flash hider. He had looked at the G3 flash hider, and made a custom helical one out of stainless steel. Thus this part is only painted, and there's a little bit of difference in color. I'm eager to see how the Guncote hold up.

At the range yesterday:

Some groups at 100 meters with .mil ammo. Top one is mine and the bottom is a buddy testing the rifle. He is a way better precision shooter than me, since he's into long range shooting as a hobby (and sometimes at work in other countries), and his group gives a more true picture of the potential of the weapon. As it is, the gun grouped at approx 1MOA at 1oo meters with .mil ammo, giving me hopes of greater accuracy with tailored handloads.

Thoughts so far;
This gun shoots better than the scope mounted can wrangle out of it, and I might look into getting a medium range precision scope sometime in the future.
I also need to rise the cheek a little bit, and I'll have to look into what I want to do there.
The Harris I used yesterday is to high (I bought it for use on my IPSC AR), I've had the same problem using it on other rifles as well, and I'm going to bite the bullet and buy myself a Accushot Atlas for range use (with several guns).
I'm still thinking about adding irons, for closerange defense against those pesky polar bears that roam the streets here in Norway...
I'm gonna buy a suppressor (It's almost considered a necessity on hunting rifles here in Norway nowadays)
This gun cost me "a million", and I'll never get the money back if I sell it, but fortunately it both looks and preforms "like a million", so I'm happy.
Shooting is fun. Shooting a custom gun that is different from everyone else's gun is even more fun :D
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

thrillbilly

Re: A story about a Mauser 98k

Post by thrillbilly » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:52 am

That's a beautiful rifle!

''Value'' is whatever an item is worth to YOU...if you enjoy it, then it was worth it.

I don't doubt the power of .308 on medium to large game...and I don't doubt the Mauser's reliability...but personally I would want a bigger front-hole if I was dealing with a polar bear (or anything else that can eat me) :D

I would want something along the lines of a wheeled howitzer to deal with a big nasty Polar in a hungry mood!

Thanks for sharing the project, I really enjoyed it...that's a rifle I would be happy to own. Hoping to see some ''in the field'' pics of it in the future, propped up against some dead Norwegian/Swedish critters!
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:44 pm

I don't understand why you would cut up what looks like a very nice military sharp shooter rifle, that I got to think is a pretty desirable gun, instead of starting out with a mauser that had already been sportised.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:34 am

thrillbilly wrote: I don't doubt the power of .308 on medium to large game...and I don't doubt the Mauser's reliability...but personally I would want a bigger front-hole if I was dealing with a polar bear (or anything else that can eat me) :D

I would want something along the lines of a wheeled howitzer to deal with a big nasty Polar in a hungry mood!
At Svalbard they mostly use old 98k's from the Norwegian Homeguard. They were taken from the Germans at the end of WWII and rechambered to .30-06 (to go with the M1 Garand). I don't think there's much difference in omph between a good ole' .30-06 and a modern .308 cartridge.

Nick Adams wrote:I don't understand why you would cut up what looks like a very nice military sharp shooter rifle, that I got to think is a pretty desirable gun, instead of starting out with a mauser that had already been sportised.
I see what you are thinking, but these are not rare at all here in Norway, because they were also sold as competition rifles in DFS (almost the same as National Match) up until the 90's. It's just happens that mine is ex-mil. I actually found it described on Wikipedia.

You can find ones for sale at any time, and it's the same with Homeguard Mausers. It's believed that the Germans had up to 400 000 soldiers stationed in Norway during WWII, so I don't think we're ever gonna see them dry up :D
Thomas

RIP hk33k

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:54 am

When my Dad lived in Alaska, he carried a .308 bolt rifle whenever he went ''off-pavement'' for bear protection (unless he was working, then he carried a M16)

I don't favor the .308 OR the 30.06 for a deer rifle, I'm a .270win fan....but when it comes to bears, I would want a 12G slug, 45/70 with full-power loads, or something like a .458winmag or .375H&H

But I prefer to err on the side of caution lol

That .308 should take care of anything else quite handily, and it's better then nothing if a bear gets after ya that's for sure! I'd like to see what your rifle will do with premium ammo or handloads...bet it would be a HECK of a shooter, it's not shabby with military ball judging by your targets.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

chrispy

Post by chrispy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:24 pm

That is a very nice and well done conversion. Looks well suited to your needs. The best part is YOU have the best rifle tailored to your needs, not an off the shelf tacti-plastic modern monstrosity.

Enjoy it. It looks like you will.

Chrispy

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Nick Adams wrote:I don't understand why you would cut up what looks like a very nice military sharp shooter rifle, that I got to think is a pretty desirable gun, instead of starting out with a mauser that had already been sportised.
I thought it had some intersting history and if it had of landed in my hands over here on this side of the ocean I probably wouldn't have modified it further, they're aren't exactly a ton of them here since I've never seen or heard of one. That's just because I liked the story of them taking a bunch of beat up rifles that they took away from soldiers that had just invaded their country in case they needed to do repel them all over again and they happened to be short of cash. That's pretty cool, kind of a ballsy 'Fuck you!!!' in there as well.

I'm betting that Makarov shoots it a whole lot more now than he has in the last few years. Plus one could argue that the norweigen government and military started the process of already modifying the rifle away from what it was originally anyway, he just completed the process 60-some years later. What difference does it make? From what he's saying one almost literally can't swing a dead cat around Norway without hitting one of these and for very little money.

You and your gunsmith did a really good job on that, Congrats. I'm a bit green (especially about the surpressor). :mrgreen:
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:14 pm

I like it. It sounds like those are to Norway what the Mosin or Yugo Mauser is here, which is to say vastly common enough that a few well-sporterized ones aren't going to be destroying a rare piece of history. Remember, if your granddaddy cut up a 1903 and killed deer with it in the forties, it's a piece of history. If you do it, it's a bubba job and you're a terrible person for destroying a piece of history.

I think it turned out gorgeous. A well-done sporterizing of a reasonably common gun. Damn accurate too, even with ball ammo, and not a bad looker.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:07 pm

Browning 35 wrote:You and your gunsmith did a really good job on that, Congrats. I'm a bit green (especially about the surpressor). :mrgreen:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I like it.
Thanks and thanks :D
Browning 35 wrote:From what he's saying one almost literally can't swing a dead cat around Norway without hitting one of these and for very little money.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:It sounds like those are to Norway what the Mosin or Yugo Mauser is here, which is to say vastly common enough that a few well-sporterized ones aren't going to be destroying a rare piece of history.
Yup and yup.

Mausers became the staple boltrifle for hunting after WWII, replacing the Krag Jørgensen. Since most got rechambered into .30-06, that caliber became "standard" (replacing the 6.5 Swede from the Krag), until 7.62 took over in the 70's (after Norway started issuing G3's).

I just checked, and I found 5 KV59/M67's for sale on the biggest saleswebsite in Norway, priced from 1500NOK (what I paid in 2010) to 4000NOK (overpriced IMHO), and several "standard" (ie just rechambered 98k's) Mausers ranging from 1000NOK to 2000NOK. And we also see Swedish made (Husquarna) Mausers for cheap too.

1000NOK equals to about 166US $.
Thomas

RIP hk33k

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:30 pm

Oh lordy. "6.5 Swede" and "Krag Jørgensen" and "Husqvarna" all in the same post gives me a chubby. I wish I could afford 30-40 Krag. One of these days I'll own a big enough safe to start collecting Huskies too.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Oh lordy. "6.5 Swede" and "Krag Jørgensen" and "Husqvarna" all in the same post gives me a chubby. I wish I could afford 30-40 Krag.
Don't have any 30-40 Krag, I just a got a 6,5 from 1908...
Thomas

RIP hk33k

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am

Nice, those in that same (166US $) price range? Or more?

BTW, since many of those Swedish Mausers have threaded barrels for blank firing devices are you able to make use of those for a suppressor? Or do you have to use some other means?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Awesome, awesome rifle OP.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Browning 35 wrote:Nice, those in that same (166US $) price range? Or more?
I checked. There's 2 out for sale now for 1500NOK, so yes.
Browning 35 wrote:BTW, since many of those Swedish Mausers have threaded barrels for blank firing devices are you able to make use of those for a suppressor? Or do you have to use some other means?
I dunno, those I've seen has been civilian, and didn't have a threaded barrel. But since there's no regulations on suppressors here in Norway (they actually tried once, but that got ridiculed to death as it should be), threading a barrel for a suppressor is considered a common gunsmith-job.
Thomas

RIP hk33k

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Viper shtf wrote:Awesome, awesome rifle OP.
Thomas

RIP hk33k

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am

Quick update.
Shot a "Hunting-competition" (animal targets at different distances, shot while sitting "on post") yesterday, and before the competition we got 3 sight in shots. This was my group at 100m, using the same ammo as last time, but with a lower bipod:

I only needed 2 patches, and that's with .mil ammo :D
Thomas

RIP hk33k

Norway88

Post by Norway88 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:17 am

Looks good :D
-Sauer 200str long range
-Remington 1911
-Mauser m98 project

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I like it. It sounds like those are to Norway what the Mosin or Yugo Mauser is here, which is to say vastly common enough that a few well-sporterized ones aren't going to be destroying a rare piece of history. Remember, if your granddaddy cut up a 1903 and killed deer with it in the forties, it's a piece of history. If you do it, it's a bubba job and you're a terrible person for destroying a piece of history.

I think it turned out gorgeous. A well-done sporterizing of a reasonably common gun. Damn accurate too, even with ball ammo, and not a bad looker.
Actually, it sounds like less of a former military rifle, and more of a commercial rifle from what I have been able to find. Like a specific type of target rifle made for a particular shooting activity. So it might be closer to say that it is more along the lines of a Winchester or Remington rifle that he then chose to modify. Though I do agree that it is a very nice looking rifle both before and after.

Oh, and to really mess with you, do a google search for Norwegian Krag. It is a Krag rifle in 6.5x55 Swede. They are amazing guns. Smooth actions, all the Krag goodies, and in 6.5 to boot.

-Mb

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”