Ak Pmags came in the mail today.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja steve

Ak Pmags came in the mail today.

Post by ninja steve » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:59 pm

:awesome:
Figured I'd do a quick little introduction for these here. I apologize in advance if these have been covered here but I didn't see it yet. Anyway some pictures...
Bought from Midway, paid $70 including shipping for 5 magazines. Big upgrade from the Tapcos I had been using. I do have one steel mag too.
Fully loaded they weigh about 1.6lbs each according to my bathroom scale. I know there's a little hate on these for the lack of metal lips and a metal tab, which I do agree is a weak point.
They all lock in nice and tight in my Saiga, tighter than the Tapcos did. ImageImage
These do appear to be way better than what I did have though. I am planning on buying the metal reinforced ones when they come out.
Here is a couple pics comparing the Tapco and Pmag.
The spring length is quite a bit different. Pmag follower feels way better. Some of the Tapcos I have only load 28 rounds. All the Pmags hold 30. The last round is a bit more difficult to put in than #29. Pmag feels skinny compared to the Tapco, about the same as my steel mag.
Overall I'm pretty happy with what they are for the price. Won't get to test them out for a couple more weeks but will update when I do. Thanks for looking.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Ak Pmags came in the mail today.

Post by PistolPete » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for sharing! It's nice to see more options. I had a Tapco AK mag that came with a rifle and it was junk. I'm glad Magpul is in the market now, it's nice to have some American made options to feed an AK.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Silly thing about the Tapco mags I have is never really had any malfunctions. If you ride the bolt it would gum up but I think that's just an AK thing.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Honestly, the only issue I have with the idea of polymer mags for the AK in general is the way it's inserted, relative to the AR. Instead of just sliding in, you do use rotational force, and I fear polymer won't last over time with "hurried" reloads. If the Magpuls have steel reinforcement where it matters, I retract my concern and look forward to hearing long term reviews.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:45 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Honestly, the only issue I have with the idea of polymer mags for the AK in general is the way it's inserted, relative to the AR. Instead of just sliding in, you do use rotational force, and I fear polymer won't last over time with "hurried" reloads. If the Magpuls have steel reinforcement where it matters, I retract my concern and look forward to hearing long term reviews.
The first batch of Pmags don't have steel reinforcement, but they do have plans for a steel reinforced version to come out soon. If that is a concern you should wait for the 2nd version.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:04 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Honestly, the only issue I have with the idea of polymer mags for the AK in general is the way it's inserted, relative to the AR. Instead of just sliding in, you do use rotational force, and I fear polymer won't last over time with "hurried" reloads. If the Magpuls have steel reinforcement where it matters, I retract my concern and look forward to hearing long term reviews.
I agree with you on that. I will be replacing these with the new ones when they come out if they get good reviews. There is a video of a guy dropping his ak on the magazine and breaking the tab off. Took two drops directly on the mag I think.

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 am

Update: Shot 120 rounds out of the same magazine, zero issues. So far so good.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:02 am

ninja steve wrote:Update: Shot 120 rounds out of the same magazine, zero issues. So far so good.
Thanks for the update.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Keep us posted. I may try a couple, see if I break it.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Vladimir
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil dead

Post by Vladimir » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 am

Polish military mags are now all polymer with no metal and mine work great . They wear down a bit and insert better with the wear . At first they are a pain to insert
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats

Charra

Post by Charra » Fri May 16, 2014 3:46 pm

These SUCK.

I had two, the locking tab broke on one and a feed lip shattered when I dropped the other, apparently these magazines really hate cold weather.

Why Magpul even bothered wasting money on making non-reinforced all polymer magazines is beyond me, they should have gone straight to the meat and skipped the potatoes.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Charra wrote:These SUCK.

I had two, the locking tab broke on one and a feed lip shattered when I dropped the other, apparently these magazines really hate cold weather.

Why Magpul even bothered wasting money on making non-reinforced all polymer magazines is beyond me, they should have gone straight to the meat and skipped the potatoes.
Plastics tend to become brittle in cold weather that is a known, but not everyone will be using their's in cold weather. It should be noted metal too becomes brittle in extreme cold.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri May 16, 2014 4:46 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Charra wrote:These SUCK.

Plastics tend to become brittle in cold weather that is a known, but not everyone will be using their's in cold weather. It should be noted metal too becomes brittle in extreme cold.
There are, however, performance standards for military weapons and equipment. IIRC it's something like -40F to 160F for magazines, but I could be wrong. I had issues with Gen 1 Pmags failing at all temperatires. Gen 2/3, that hasn't happened, but I haven't been operating my operational operations in cold weather since. If Magpul decides to bring out .223 AK mags, or unconverted Saigas get back down to non-AR prices, I might take a look at PMags, but otherwise they don't seem to be a great alternative to metal AK mags.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:otherwise they don't seem to be a great alternative to metal AK mags.
I prefer the metal mags anyways myself. I just like the feel of them better. I tried some of the Tapco plastic AK mags but couldn't stand them.

My point was just acknowledging that some materials have limits but not everyone worries about those limits. Metal mags can have issue with rust in hot humid climates, but plastic mags would not so much. Plastic mags are likely to get brittle in cold, but metal mags would not so much. Understanding the limits of materials is just being a smart consumer I think.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon May 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Ever try to run with 3 ak mags on your belt? Worse yet, 4-6 of them on your chest? I'd be excited for a dependable light(er) weight mags. I've also had a couple ak mags rust from not-serious neglect.

It's really the only thing I don't like about the ak. I can run that many AR mags with much less discomfort. But then again I'm just a hobbyist and there are people a lot bigger than me that probably find it less of an issue. Even having something a little more forgiving than steel smacking into my sided would be great.

I think polymer done right is a great idea. I also agree that these first gens are probably not what I'm looking for.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue May 20, 2014 12:12 am

ninja steve wrote:
I agree with you on that. I will be replacing these with the new ones when they come out if they get good reviews. There is a video of a guy dropping his ak on the magazine and breaking the tab off. Took two drops directly on the mag I think.
Sounds like you watched Mrgunsngear, or Pluffdaddy on Akfiles. The issue with the plastic tabs seems to crop up if you drop prone in a hurry. The feed lips are usually good on Tapcos unless you go tossing them at cement walls or floors. There are some videos of durability tests of Tapcos.

Gunplumber on the different ak forums will give you an ear full on the foolishness of staking your life on Tapcos. In addition to the plastic tabs and the potential problems with plastic feed lips, you have the potential for the mag to seat itself at the wrong angle in the weapon or the channel that the bolt slips through to strip a cartridge can be wrong. But they work fine for most people, and I expect the Pmags will too. The Tapcos are a great option for competition shooters who need a ton of loaded mags for practice and competition. At the listed price, I think the Pmags will fill the same role. People looking to stake their life on a rifle will be better served by surplus mags. Though I have heard some good things about US Palm (after early issues) and I look forward to the metal reinforced Pmags. I actually shoot a -74, so I"m hoping they do that one soon.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... but otherwise they don't seem to be a great alternative to metal AK mags.

I love steel mags. I just don't like carrying them with the rest of my pack and gear. When I hold a bag of steel mags, and a bad with an equal number of Bulgarian surplus (Circle 10 and Circle 21), there is a serious difference. My pack weight does not change, but I carry a bit more gear. But for lots of people, the metal mags will serve just fine and be the best option.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”