sks for a mini 14??? (i did it)

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

cemoulton

sks for a mini 14??? (i did it)

Post by cemoulton » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:02 am

I own a very clean 20" norinco sks. It lives in the safe and looks menacingly at my ARs. (I think it may be jealous since it never gets to come out and play).

I have an opportunity to trade it straight for and older heavily neglected mini 14 with a choate side folder. The mini looks like it has never seen oil, the blueing is mostly gone but has no exterior rust. inside barrel has a fare amount of small pitting but nothing deep or covering more than a small portion of land or groove.

I'm torn. The sks is in great condition shoots well with fmjs but chokes on hps and gets shot maybe once every 2 years . The mini is in terrible condition (looks wise) but I will get to shoot it before I make a decision, and would probably live in the lock box in my jeep.

So assuming the mini functions flawlessly and can hold 10"-12" groups (standing unsupported) what do we think?
Last edited by cemoulton on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: sks for a mini 14???

Post by Jeriah » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:07 am

I'd keep the SKS. But shoot the Mini, you might fall in love. I doubt it, though. Plus, you have multiple ARs, what do you need a Mini for? The Sks at least lets you shoot x39 if that's what's available at the moment.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:16 am

Hmm. The SKS is a great, reliable system for sure. But the Mini 14 would give you ammo commonality, which is always a plus in my book. If you are a devout AR guy, I say go for it.

although I will add that the sks is a great trunk gun, even with the fixed magazine.

mough

Post by mough » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 am

Mister Dark wrote:Hmm. The SKS is a great, reliable system for sure. But the Mini 14 would give you ammo commonality, which is always a plus in my book. If you are a devout AR guy, I say go for it.

although I will add that the sks is a great trunk gun, even with the fixed magazine.

I can see wanting ammo commonality if you have a pcc, and a pistol, or for a primary weapons for multiple group members, but I think in this instance where the gun is either going to be used as a truck gun or just to occupy the safe, ammo diversity might be the better option. 7.62 is way more available right now than .223 at least where I live.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 am

I'd keep a new gun over an older abused gun. Both are reliable but the older minis are not known for accuracy. Most norinco SKS rifle are surprisingly accurate. I'm not saying match but I can hold 4-6" with irons from the prone @ 100m. I had one with a 4x scope on it and I could regularly hit beer bottlesat that rrange.
I vote keep the SKS.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:10 am

Mini-14s suck. Even dressed up with Choate side-folder. Full'o'suck. Pass.

ZS:SC mini-14 hatin' :clap:

Obligitory mini-14 propoganda:

Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:42 am

mough wrote:
Mister Dark wrote:Hmm. The SKS is a great, reliable system for sure. But the Mini 14 would give you ammo commonality, which is always a plus in my book. If you are a devout AR guy, I say go for it.

I can see wanting ammo commonality if you have a pcc, and a pistol, or for a primary weapons for multiple group members, but I think in this instance where the gun is either going to be used as a truck gun or just to occupy the safe, ammo diversity might be the better option. 7.62 is way more available right now than .223 at least where I live.
I work at a class 6 so we always have .223/5.56, but reloadable brass 7.62x39 is rare at the best of times finding new x39 brass is next to impossible during the current craziness. We do usually stock tula and the price is close.

I was thinking ammo commonality, not wanting to truck gun a nice pretty rifle and fear of an import ammo ban.
Bbbbuuuttt I do see the advantage in diversity and feel a little silly thinking about trading a well cared for and properly maintained item for a abused and neglected item.

Hmmm
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Keep the SKS. That mini sounds pretty rough.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

eeb

Post by eeb » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:54 pm

I'd keep the SKS, just make sure your vehicles lockbox is big enough for one of your ARs in case you run low on 7.62x39. JMHO Or use an AR as a truck gun if you have one you don't mind getting beat up.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

mough

Post by mough » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:09 am

cemoulton wrote:

...but reloadable brass 7.62x39 is rare at the best of times finding new x39 brass is next to impossible during the current craziness...
Behold, the thread that introduced me to ZS

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=46874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:54 am

I can't see trading what you have for a Mini 14 with a sewer pipe for a bore, unless you have a desperate hankering to go all moneypit on a big restoration project.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 pm

I shot 120 rounds though her today. 55gn fmjs, 55gn vmax, 62 gr ap, and 69gn smk.

Ten round 100 yard groups off a bench (no bags, iron sights)started off at 3" to 4". The groups did not open up much width wise but they did string vertically. the last group of ten out of 60 rounds was 4 1/4 wide by 6 1/2" tall . I ran her as fast as I could load mags and acquire a good consistent sight picture. After 60 rounds I went down range to check and change targets.

I fired the next forty rounds standing unsupported at steel targets of random sizes and shapes, ranges varying from 25 to 200 yards and scored consistent hits.

The last 20 rounds were 69gn smk ( standing unsupported) . 4 of the first 10 scored hits on the 300 yard ram. The last ten produced a 4 3/4 by 9 1/2 inch group at 100 yards.

The owner claims it sat in his fathers closet in a gun sock for at least ten years. After disassembly and inspection I believe it. Very little wear on moving parts but a lot of minor rust pitting on the inside of the barrel. You can see the rust pattern of the sock cloth where it pulled the blueing off on the flash hider, sight blades, barrel and charging handle.

In conclusion it shoots nearly as accurately as my sks, had zero malfunctions, is more compact and eats the same ammo that I feed my ARs. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and probably make the trade tomorrow.

Let the flaming begin.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 pm

If the gun shoots well for you and if you want to make the trade, it's your choice, man.

Good luck in whatever you decide and may you not have any regrets on trading an SKS for a Mini-14.

Personally, I'd keep the SKS, but that's just my opinion.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 pm

I think, given what you wrote in your last post, that unless you know this fellow really well you should make sure that his dad knows his rifle isn't in the closet any more. I've been burned by stolen guns before. Thankfully I've never been charged with receiving stolen property (usually because I'm the one who made the report).
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I has MAD LOVE for Mini 14s :clap:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I consider SKS's huge chunks of shit. Put a folder on the Ruger and you're good to go. They are tough as shit and I have never seen one hiccup. As for the SKS, the 3 friends of mine that have em all have problems.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:26 pm

cemoulton wrote:I shot 120 rounds though her today. 55gn fmjs, 55gn vmax, 62 gr ap, and 69gn smk.

Ten round 100 yard groups off a bench (no bags, iron sights)started off at 3" to 4". The groups did not open up much width wise but they did string vertically. the last group of ten out of 60 rounds was 4 1/4 wide by 6 1/2" tall . I ran her as fast as I could load mags and acquire a good consistent sight picture. After 60 rounds I went down range to check and change targets.

I fired the next forty rounds standing unsupported at steel targets of random sizes and shapes, ranges varying from 25 to 200 yards and scored consistent hits.

The last 20 rounds were 69gn smk ( standing unsupported) . 4 of the first 10 scored hits on the 300 yard ram. The last ten produced a 4 3/4 by 9 1/2 inch group at 100 yards.

The owner claims it sat in his fathers closet in a gun sock for at least ten years. After disassembly and inspection I believe it. Very little wear on moving parts but a lot of minor rust pitting on the inside of the barrel. You can see the rust pattern of the sock cloth where it pulled the blueing off on the flash hider, sight blades, barrel and charging handle.

In conclusion it shoots nearly as accurately as my sks, had zero malfunctions, is more compact and eats the same ammo that I feed my ARs. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and probably make the trade tomorrow.

Let the flaming begin.
The vertical stringing is indicative of barrel whip. IMO, if you're looking for a 5.56 rifle that's not an AR, aim for a 5.56 Saiga instead.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: The vertical stringing is indicative of barrel whip. IMO, if you're looking for a 5.56 rifle that's not an AR, aim for a 5.56 Saiga instead.
Even with the barrel whip I believe it's accurate enough for it's intended purpose. My sks is more accurate but not by much. Neither is designed as a bench rest rifle. My DDM4v1 holds 3/4" groups off of bags, the Franken AR i " built" (14.5 pinned/welded flash hider mostly DSA) for my lovely wife will hold 2 3/4" off bags. Her accurized .243 Winchester featherweight will put 5 rounds under a dime all day long.

I do not require bench rest accuracy out of a truck gun. Nor do I wish to beat the heck out of any of my current weapons bouncing around it in the sticks. I'm silly about keeping nice things nice, I won't even hunt in thick brush with my 76' wingmaster magnum because the wood is just to pretty. I know I know it's a tool, but guess what every tool in my garage is wiped down and put back where it belongs after every use, also wrenches aren't hammers and screw drivers aren't pry bars.

I would love too have a converted .223 siaga with a msa stanag mag conversion. But no one wants to trade me one for my sks lol.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:45 am

cemoulton wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: The vertical stringing is indicative of barrel whip. IMO, if you're looking for a 5.56 rifle that's not an AR, aim for a 5.56 Saiga instead.
Even with the barrel whip I believe it's accurate enough for it's intended purpose. My sks is more accurate but not by much. Neither is designed as a bench rest rifle. My DDM4v1 holds 3/4" groups off of bags, the Franken AR i " built" (14.5 pinned/welded flash hider mostly DSA) for my lovely wife will hold 2 3/4" off bags. Her accurized .243 Winchester featherweight will put 5 rounds under a dime all day long.

I do not require bench rest accuracy out of a truck gun. Nor do I wish to beat the heck out of any of my current weapons bouncing around it in the sticks. I'm silly about keeping nice things nice, I won't even hunt in thick brush with my 76' wingmaster magnum because the wood is just to pretty. I know I know it's a tool, but guess what every tool in my garage is wiped down and put back where it belongs after every use, also wrenches aren't hammers and screw drivers aren't pry bars.

I would love too have a converted .223 siaga with a msa stanag mag conversion. But no one wants to trade me one for my sks lol.
I meant unconverted.

Fair point though, if someone offered my a stainless mini14 for my SKS, I'd jump on it just to sate my A-team fetish.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:00 am

I am very thankful for everyones input, sorry if that last post seemed ungrateful. This site is bitchen(like a camaro) most every one has something of importance to add.

I don't shoot the sks, I don't stock ammo for it, it is slower to reload even with strippers and I feel that ballistically the 7.62x39 is inferior to the .223/5.56 ( this opinion is very debatable is accuracy is taken out of the equation). Also with my line of work .223 is cheaper for me to shoot.

Dang it I "built" my wifes after you guys talked me out of buying a .223 siaga a few months ago lol

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:14 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I meant unconverted.

Fair point though, if someone offered my a stainless mini14 for my SKS, I'd jump on it just to sate my A-team fetish.
My pops prefers minis to ARs and has one stainless ranch rifle and one stainless standard mini the standard has that cheesy 4" flash hider that the 80s minis used to have. Anytime I shoot it I feel like saying"I love it when a plan comes together" but I don't smoke cigars.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:24 am

cemoulton wrote:I own a very clean 20" norinco sks. It lives in the safe and looks menacingly at my ARs. (I think it may be jealous since it never gets to come out and play).

I have an opportunity to trade it straight for and older heavily neglected mini 14 with a choate side folder. The mini looks like it has never seen oil, the blueing is mostly gone but has no exterior rust. inside barrel has a fare amount of small pitting but nothing deep or covering more than a small portion of land or groove.

I'm torn. The sks is in great condition shoots well with fmjs but chokes on hps and gets shot maybe once every 2 years . The mini is in terrible condition (looks wise) but I will get to shoot it before I make a decision, and would probably live in the lock box in my jeep.

So assuming the mini functions flawlessly and can hold 10"-12" groups (standing unsupported) what do we think?
Run away from the crime that is the Mini, unless you live in california part of the year or just decided to hate combloc guns.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:
Run away from the crime that is the Mini, unless you live in california part of the year or just decided to hate combloc guns.
Why do people hate the mini? Just curious.
I made the trade So it's moot. But when I bought my first AR DDM4v nib unfired at an auction for $700 I was looking for a mini because I came up shooting my feathers and enjoyed them very much. Are they as refind as an AR ? No. But they work. I always hear about they're accuracy problems but if you call an ak inaccurate the same people will say the AK is battlefield accurate. Yes the magazine cost is high but cheaper than most pistol mags and much cheaper than some rifle mags siaga mags for .223 are pricey and sometimes hard to find. But very few people poopoo 223 siagas

I may regret the trade someday but I just don't understand the mini hate.

1 911 hate I get, oh my God why won't the love of 1911s just die ?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:43 pm

cemoulton wrote:
Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:
Why do people hate the mini? Just curious.
I made the trade So it's moot. But when I bought my first AR DDM4v nib unfired at an auction for $700 I was looking for a mini because I came up shooting my feathers and enjoyed them very much. Are they as refind as an AR ? No. But they work. I always hear about they're accuracy problems but if you call an ak inaccurate the same people will say the AK is battlefield accurate. Yes the magazine cost is high but cheaper than most pistol mags and much cheaper than some rifle mags siaga mags for .223 are pricey and sometimes hard to find. But very few people poopoo 223 siagas

I may regret the trade someday but I just don't understand the mini hate
I hope you're happy with your trade, and to be fair, in terms of dollar value you may have come out ahead. Would have been ahead by a mile if not for condition. So, I'm not trying to perpetuate the hate, but I will attempt to explain it.

I used to like the idea of the Mini-14, back when I wanted to collect a bunch of guns I'd seen in movies, in my late teens. Ironically I was never much into the A-team, but its been in a lot of shit: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Mini-14#Ruger_Mini-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then I rented one. It went through a box of ammo at the range just fine, and the combination of my amateurish skill level (then even more than now) with the close range precluded any meaningful test of the weapon's inherent accuracy. I did note the thin appearance of sheet metal components like trigger guard and mag release, compared to similarly-constructed but more robust analogous parts on an AK.

Based on that limited experience, and more experience with other platforms, I'm prepared to offer the following analysis.

Summary: The Mini-14 and Mini-30 are most similar in performance to the AR and AK series rifles. Both rifles have their compromises, as do all weapons, but the Minis have more compromises than the others, making them a "worst of both worlds" solution.

Accuracy is worse than an AK, at least in the older models.
Reliability, I have no experience with, but reputation is poor (other than with Hollywood blanks).
Ergonomics are old-school, like an SKS.
Mag changes are old school, like an M1 Carbine or M14, slower than an AK and Way slower than an AR.
Price is higher than an AK and comparable to an economy AR.
Factory mags are expensive, exacerbating the price issue, and aftermarket mags suck.

All of this adds up to make a Mini a poor choice for someone making a logical (rather than aesthetic) choice for a fighting carbine.

For those living in states with an AWB, a new model with a stiff barrel, or an old model with an accu-strut, may make sense when compared with the options of a Kel Tec, neutered AR or AK, etc.

For those not looking for a fighting carbine, some of the above criteria are less critical, and so it might be a fine rifle for other purposes.

This is my understanding, based on the limited experience I described above, and my understanding of its reputation based on what I have heard.

(Edited because iPad autocorrect has shitty grammar.)
Last edited by Jeriah on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 am

I have to say Jeriah hit most of my issues with the mini. I also plain like the SKS.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”