What AR stock are you running and why?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bo R.
*
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks later

What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Bo R. » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:10 pm

I have noticed a reoccurring trend that pretty much everyone I run into is running some form of a magpul stock. I was wondering what stock your running and your reasons why?

I have two rifles in the following configurations.
1. 16in barrel. Troy 13in alpha rail. EOTech XPS. Magpul CTR with extended pad.
my reasoning behind using the CTR stock is that this gun is my attempt at making an AR that is as light as humanly possible and because this gun has the longest barrel I put the shortest buttstock on it. I installed the extended pad because I felt like the CTR fully extended was still a little to short. if I am shooting without body armor the CTR is pretty easy to lock into the shoulder. And I think it looks cool. (yeah that plays a part)
2. 14.5 in barrel. Troy 12in front sight cut battlerail. Aimpoint T-1. LMT sopmod
This is my go-to rifle at the moment and the one I will most likely shoot with body armor on. In my opinion, the sopmod stock provides the most control with or without body armor. in an effort to save weight and because I have no need to retain extra batteries on my gun I removed the battery compartments on the sopmod stock. The cheek to stock weld for me is negligible in this case as I do not have a preference either way.

thanks in advance

Paul J
* * *
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.
Location: kentucky

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Paul J » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm running what's free
My M4 kills bugs dead

User avatar
Prof. C.J.
*
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:32 pm
Location: Northeast Florida

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Prof. C.J. » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:48 pm

I like the Magpul MOE Rifle (fixed) stock. I prefer fixed stocks provided they fit me well, and the MOE fits me very well.

It's a very nice, sturdy (like everything Magpul) stock that I find to be a major improvement over an A1 or A2. In terms of LOP, I think it splits the difference between the A1 & A2, but it's got a better trapdoor & compartment than either. Better cheekweld for me, too.

Anyone who likes fixed stocks ought to give this one a look.

northernxposure
* * * * *
Posts: 2686
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: EWI

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by northernxposure » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 pm

An original Colt A1 pull off from Numrich with all the bangs, scars, and numbering of someone's armory rack. Cheap, functional, works.

NXP

User avatar
Gothboy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:34 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the zombie movies EVER.
Location: So Cal Baby!

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Gothboy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I run the ACE m4 socom (meat tenderizer) stock on mine for three reasons 1) came with my mega arms zombie lower in the trade 2) matches the meat tenderizer portion of my aforementioned lower 3) most comfortable stock I've ever run. Don't think ill be changing it, ever.

Maybe ill try the ace hammer stock on the next build because its sexy. ;)
Braxton wrote: This guy seems to be able to get it done with much less than three inches.

User avatar
Ten Eight
* * * * *
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:05 pm

CTRs at home. Fixed A1 on the agency's select fire at work. I kind of like the fixed stock to be honest. CTRs because they were cheap and light. Fixed A1 because I'm not allowed to modify it.

I really need to build a retro AR. Everything old is new again.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Bo R.
*
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks later

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Bo R. » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Interesting responses.
has anyone given any thought into why a certain buttstock may be better or worse than another in terms of performance?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Magpul CTR, Magpul MOE Carbine (fixed), Blackcawk Tactical improved carbine, and Vltor E-mod. The magpuls are lighter, the Vltor gives a better cheek weld, and the Blackcawk just feels better. I don't think there's a best. Ergonomics may be a science, but there are enough different shaped people out there and different shaped goals that the variety of stocks makes sense. I like the cheek weld on the Vltor, but the Blackhawk makes a better all-around, whereas the CTR and MOE have a slimmer profile. Want to try the MOE fixed rifle next, but I have to find a rifle kit first.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
thesupremeking
* * *
Posts: 705
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Tucson

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by thesupremeking » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Magpul ACS.

I was a VLTOR stock whore, and have always loved the VLTOR Emod. I like the cheek weld and also the fact that it has water proof compartments. The ONLY problem with the Emod is that the stock would pinch my beard hairs in the seams of the modular compartments. Well the ACS is very similar of a stock, the strike plate is shaped a little different, and in all reality I liked that more on the VLTOR, however the Magpul ACS just doesn't pinch off facial hairs.

So I swapped out all my VLTOR Emods for Magpul ACS stocks on all my AR's and I love them. I also like that the Magpul ACS has the lockdown feature of the CTR to eliminate stock wiggle.
Image

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 8957
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm not married to any one in particular, but I have a couple of CTRs, a couple of Vltor EMODs , a MOE rifle, an ACE SOCOM, a DoubleStar TI-7, and an aluminum CAR stock.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Magpul ctr, Moe and acs. They work, durable, and are cost effective.
I have an ace on my PTR 91. It's a little shorter lop.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968
Location: Augusta Georgia

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Redeyes » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Magpul Moe because I was new to AR's and thought a guard for the extension lever was important. I will probably just go with a standard m4 stock next time.
Image

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

User avatar
Sworbeyegib
* * * * *
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:09 pm

My Daniel Defense came with a Magpul moe, I haven't bothered changing it because it works just fine for me. I may end up putting on the extended butt pad because I have long arms though.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Image

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7008
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Magpul MOE. It was cheap and it works.

User avatar
Browning 35
BANNED
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man
Location: Texas

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:49 pm

-An old CAR-15 stock, it was what came on there when I bought that rifle.
-A Magpul MOE stock, it was what came in the lower receiver parts kit.
-An A2 stock, it was what came on there stock when I bought that lower.
-An A2 stock, it was what came on there stock when I bought that rifle complete.
-An A1 stock, it was what was in the parts kit.

I'm sure everyone is seeing a theme with me by now.

AR stocks are the one things where I never really saw that much difference in them other than style and whether they collapsed or not. It's not like optics or grips. Just so long as it felt okay against my shoulder and I can get a decent cheek weld I'm good. I never wanted to spend a whole bunch of extra money on another one when I had one that worked. Only stock I ever gave any thought to buying was a Magpul PRS, never did it.

I guess I'd rather spend that extra money in getting slightly better optics, more mags, ammo or whatever. :Shrug
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

User avatar
DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: Indiana's Southern Coast

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Magpul CTR. I dig the friction lock and the sling QD points. And the rubber butt pad is nice. Pretty cheap, too.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:04 pm

I have 4 or 5 setups with SOCOM stocks. I have a Magpul PRS on my precision rig and an A1 on my XM16E1. All others rocking a mil spec USGI 6-pos.
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6636
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:21 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911
Location: Tumblrina City, TX

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Magpul CTR because I got a great deal on it from a group buy online, and because I like that it locks down and doesn't rattle. While I've got the hots for the Ace SOCOM stock, I can't justify replacing a stock that does everything I need it to do flawlessly and that is light weight. I've butt-sroked it on the ground to get a stuck case out at least 3 times.

It's fine. I spent the money on that sexy SOCOM stock on an optic instead. No regrets.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...
Image

User avatar
UndeadInfidel
* * * * *
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:16 am

Magpul CTR
Magpul ACS
Magpul m93b
Standard carbine

CTR is the go-to, because I like the locking lever, light weight and built in ambi QD points.
Image

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 am

Bo R. wrote:I installed the extended pad because I felt like the CTR fully extended was still a little to short
Are you a giant? Geez how tall are you? I'm 5'11" and always run fully closed, body armor or no (admittedly, I do run closer to the center of the chest than most other shooters).
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland
Location: KC, MO
Contact:

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Whiskey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:35 am

I'm 6'5... I put an extended pad on my stock as well. I've been running my stock in a couple notches for a while now as my shooting style changed a bit, so it's not really a gain.

I use the MOE stock. Seems solid enough, but really, I probably didnt need it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Paul J
* * *
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.
Location: kentucky

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by Paul J » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:22 am

Dave_M wrote:
Bo R. wrote:I installed the extended pad because I felt like the CTR fully extended was still a little to short
Are you a giant? Geez how tall are you? I'm 5'11" and always run fully closed, body armor or no (admittedly, I do run closer to the center of the chest than most other shooters).



Yes, Bo is a rather large individual, He kind of looks like a shaved orangutan...... 6'3 or so with knuckles that still drag the ground when he walks.
My M4 kills bugs dead

eeb
* * * *
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by eeb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:53 am

An A1 stock from Numrich because I read a couple places that the LOP on A2 stocks is too long for a lot of people, and I'm on the short side anyway. Fits me great, though I probably could have gotten used to an A2.
Carbine has the adjustable stock that came on it, works great.
On another site, I read a thread about supposed differences in connotation between the word "assemble" and the word "build". I feel similar differences exist between the words "collapsable" and "adjustable", "adjustable" meaning able to be set to several different positions to enhance user control/comfort, whereas "collapsable" sounds like it has one position for use and a collapsed position for storage, to me at least . Seems like the antis spin "collapsable " into "concealable" and push to ban it. "Evil features",etc. Sorry for the tangent, I felt it was somewhat relevant .
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

User avatar
UndeadInfidel
* * * * *
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: What AR stock are you running and why?

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 am

I hate seeing expensive AR packages with Magpul MOE stocks. Seriously, some of these companies are charging almost $2000 for these ARs, and they can't even include a damn CTR with it, which is roughly a $20 difference for an immensely more functional stock. Lame.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”