Optic choice for FAL

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

iron_angel

Optic choice for FAL

Post by iron_angel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm looking into getting a good optic for my FAL after two failed experiments with inexpensive ones. So far, I've got my options narrowed down to Eotech or Aimpoint if I don't want or need magnification, and either the Burris AR-322 or the MTAC (either the 1-4x or the 1.5-6x) if I do. With a .308, I figure having magnification is a good thing, but I also want the ability to use it up close if need be, since it's my main HD and SHTF long gun. I don't intend to shoot much beyond 200m, and that probably only when hunting, but the ability to go out a bit further (maybe 500m) would be nice as a a reserve capability. I will, of course, need to train more to be able to do my part in that equation, but that's a separate issue.

So, I'm looking for opinions. Between the AR-322 or MTAC, which do you all like better, and why? Is there some other optic I ought to be thinking about, here? I'm not afraid of saving up for a while to plunk down a sizeable wad of cash if it's for quality kit, but I also don't really relish the idea of spending as much on the optic as I did on the rifle - which is my big reservation with the ACOGs I've looked at.

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Re: Optic choice for FAL

Post by Dasho101 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:03 pm

just going from magnification... id go the MTAC. back when i had a fal it was more accurate than me but one thing i regretted was all i had was a 1x on it. being from Chesterfield i know there not to much opportunity to shoot that far around her. but 1.5 is low enough that it wont hinder you at less than 100 yards.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:14 pm

I have an aimpoint micro on my FAL, perfect inside 200 meters.

If you're going for magnification I'd save up for the AccuPoint TR24, SFWA, or similar. I have the MTAC on a .22 AR upper. Doesn't compare to the higher end scopes.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 pm

That burris has a reticle calculated for .223, so I wouldn';t use it on a .308 since you'lll be paying for a feature you can't use.

What's the budget? I had a Millet DMS-1 on mine for awhile, and it worked (never shot past 100yd and never used the illumination) but if I had my druthers, I'd want a bit more magnification for the 308. 2-6 maybe?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:03 pm

trilux SUIT the official sight of the L1A1/FAL.

I've been wanting one for mine when i can drop the coin.

Good writeup on re building them...

http://www.falfiles.com/groups/showthread.php?t=190091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:That burris has a reticle calculated for .223, so I wouldn';t use it on a .308 since you'lll be paying for a feature you can't use.

What's the budget? I had a Millet DMS-1 on mine for awhile, and it worked (never shot past 100yd and never used the illumination) but if I had my druthers, I'd want a bit more magnification for the 308. 2-6 maybe?
Hmm. Their site says that both Burris options have available reticles calculated for .308, which is why I was looking at them. (Well, they say 7.62, but then list 150gr@2750FPS, which sounds a lot more like a x51 or x54r than a x39, to me).

Budget-wise, I'm trying to stay under $500, mostly. I'd go higher, but only if it's really worth it. If it's a difference I'd only notice shooting from the bench at 850m or something, I'd be wasting money - that's beyond my capability for now, and will be for a while, until I can train a *lot* more.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

IF they have one for .308 with your barrel length, then I stand corrected.

Might also putter around FALfiels and surplus rifle forum. Few more FAL shooters out that way.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Oneswunk wrote:trilux SUIT the official sight of the L1A1/FAL.

I've been wanting one for mine when i can drop the coin.

Good writeup on re building them...

http://www.falfiles.com/groups/showthread.php?t=190091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Describing it as the Trilux SUIT is a bit like the term "PIN number"

Sight-Unit-Infantry-Trilux

Before the SUIT cam along they did in fact trot out a few trials versions of L1A1 fitted with the non magnifying reflex sight used on the EM2.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”