Assault type weapons

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

peppergat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead .

Assault type weapons

Post by peppergat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:14 pm

I am finally ready I think , to jump on the Assault type weapon band wagon . I have never owned one , of any type . Well , I did have a Mini 14 once . Anyway , I allready have a defensive shotgun and pistols but , I would like too have a rifle . I have been thinking about an AR in .308 . Seems like I could use it for survival and for protection . I guess my question is , what would be the best option . I am sure this question has been asked before but , I would appreciate opinions .

feedthedog

Re: Assault type weapons

Post by feedthedog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Probably best to wait right now unless you want to get price gouged

peppergat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead .

Post by peppergat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 pm

true . I actually thought about that after I posted . Still kinda nutty out there .

sent from the frayed ends of sanity

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Still a good idea to keep up on the research. If I'm going to drop money on something like an AR-10. I'd make sure it's what I want for an actual reason. Just having the bigger bullets sounds good till you see all your buddies .223 collections of double what you have in .308.
The future is for those who prepare.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:13 pm

For a true .308 that fits the caliber, you would want to go with an AR-10, not the 15. The AR-10 is the civvy model of the military SR-10. Basically an M-16/M-4 turned sniper rifle. It was developed to be a sniper rifle that looked like a regular M-16/M-4. This was thought to prevent the snipers (with there obvious sniper rifles) getting picked off by the enemy. If the snipers carried guns that looked like the guns the regular infantry was carrying, they were less of a target. It came standard in .308/7.62. You'll have more options for that caliber by getting an AR-10, but, then again, it's more of a long range sniper rifle, and not an "assault rifle", as it were.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I've got a PTR-91 that I really enjoy shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get off my lawn!!

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Why are you limiting yourself to an AR10 style rifle? Is there a reason you have an aversion to an AR15?

Even talking ammo availability into consideration, I'd say a 223/5.56 caliber rifle would be a better choice fora number of reasons.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:Why are you limiting yourself to an AR10 style rifle? Is there a reason you have an aversion to an AR15?

Even talking ammo availability into consideration, I'd say a 223/5.56 caliber rifle would be a better choice fora number of reasons.
Ditto...AR-15's are popular for reason...and so is the .223/5.56mm. More parts, accessories, etc.. And there is no zombie sized targets a .308 can take out that a .223/5.56 can't...it is a VERY fast bullet for it's size. If you want a "sniper rifle", get a remington 700 or a savage. You'll save a lot of money and get a more reliable and accurate rifle.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:25 pm

How much money are you looking to spend? From what I have heard decent AR-10's are expensive. Especially now. I would pm Regular Guy and RickOShea with this question. They have owned and currently own various rifles in 308 that are particularly suited to trigger hoplophobia.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:19 am

And there is no zombie sized targets a .308 can take out that a .223/5.56 can't...it is a VERY fast bullet for it's size.
Except the ones that are far away and why would you be shooting at those?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 am

Like others have said, you picked the worst time to consider buying an "Assault type" weapon. Its kind of like saying, "you know what I want to date that girl right there, walking down the church aisle with the white dress and veil." Right now, prices are very inflated, supply is getting a tad better but stuff is still real hard to come by, and .308 ammo will be tough to get. I would advise you to wait, but brace yourself for the possibility that your AR-10 ship will sail away if the US legal climate changes.

That said, if things improve, If you want a budget AR-10, DPMS is not a bad deal for the money and if you don't mind waiting or hunting around for a good price you can get one for $1,200 to $1,500. That prices is inflated about $300 because of the panic, but its still not horrible compared to other offerings.

Higher end, Tier 1 AR-10 will cost money and may not be available in the short term.

I noticed you mentioned you owned a Mini-14. Another option you might want to consider is the Springfield M1A. Similar operational nomenclature to the Mini-14, but its a vastly superior rifle. The prices are going to be $500 more than a DPMS, but personally, if you have the money, I think its worth it.

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:51 am

Not sure where you all live, but AR15s are available at about MSRP prices on local shelves here. I've even seen some .308 cal ARs on the shelves. It's not the gun that's going to destroy your pocket book now. It's the ammo.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 am

angelofwar wrote: :words:
WTF? The AR-10 is the original design developed by Eugene Stoner, it was adapted to the .223 Remington round and called the AR-15 AFTER it was originally designed for the 7.61x51 round.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am

KentsOkay wrote:
WTF? The AR-10 is the original design developed by Eugene Stoner, it was adapted to the .223 Remington round and called the AR-15 AFTER it was originally designed for the 7.61x51 round.
Which is why I stated that about the SR-10, and how the current AR-10 "style" came about.

Sorry for any Mis-comm

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

KentsOkay wrote:
So... what's the point? Sometimes things change for a reason.

Unless someone plans to take larger game like muleys or elk, I don't see the practical need for a .308 AR.

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 am

If you have to have .308, maybe an FN-FAL/L1A1? The prices aren't quite so crazy as AR-10s.

Ammo and mags are still kinda pricey.

"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 am

angelofwar wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:
Which is why I stated that about the SR-10, and how the current AR-10 "style" came about.

Sorry for any Mis-comm
If you say so.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 am

angelofwar wrote:For a true .308 that fits the caliber, you would want to go with an AR-10, not the 15. The AR-10 is the civvy ArmaLite model of the military SR-25. Basically an AR-10 with some enhancements developed from the AR15. It was developed to be a sniper/designated marksman rifle that functioned like an M-16 for eas of training and quicker fallow up shots at the ranged DM/snipers were being most often used. This was thought to be more useful than the light edge in acuracy of the bolt action based guns If the snipers carried guns that looked like the guns the regular infantry was carrying, they were less of a target.(citation needed) It came standard in .308/7.62. You'll have more options for that caliber by getting an AR-10SR-25/LMT , but, then again, it's more of a long range sniper rifle, and not an "assault rifle", as it were.
Edited it based off the SR-25

Also dont go ArmaLite in that type rifle LMT is a bit spend but damn fine.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am

KentsOkay wrote:
angelofwar wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:

Sorry for any Mis-comm
If you say so.
Wow... I'll bow out of this one guys...hope you pick a good rifle OP. Later!

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 am

Dasho101 wrote:
angelofwar wrote:For a true .308 that fits the caliber, you would want to go with an AR-10, not the 15. The AR-10 is the civvy ArmaLite model of the military SR-25. Basically an AR-10 with some enhancements developed from the AR15. It was developed to be a sniper/designated marksman rifle that functioned like an M-16 for eas of training and quicker fallow up shots at the ranged DM/snipers were being most often used. This was thought to be more useful than the light edge in acuracy of the bolt action based guns If the snipers carried guns that looked like the guns the regular infantry was carrying, they were less of a target.(citation needed) It came standard in .308/7.62. You'll have more options for that caliber by getting an AR-10SR-25/LMT , but, then again, it's more of a long range sniper rifle, and not an "assault rifle", as it were.
Edited it based off the SR-25

Also dont go ArmaLite in that type rifle LMT is a bit spend but damn fine.
The LaRue OBR is also one hell of a rifle.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 am

You guys really need to check your history books. The AR-10 (designed around the then standard 7.62 NATO) was submitted for testing in 1955, long before the AR-15 was alive and kicking. The AR-15 was created when the Air Force said they wanted a smaller, lighter longarm, in the 60's, a decade after the AR-10 was already in production. To meet USAF's requirements, AR-10 got cut down to .223, and the AR-15 was born.

To say any 7.62 NATO, AR pattern rifle was developed from the AR-15 is a fallacy.

Source: "American Rifle" A Biography" by Alexander Rose

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:54 am

The AR-10 (designed around the then standard 7.62 NATO) was submitted for testing in 1955, long before the AR-15 was alive and kicking.
I guess two years is a long time. :P

I always find it hilarious at ZS where:

- The OP never says what his real requirements are
- An AR-15 gets recommended within the first 1-5 posts
- The rest is all piling on and arguing about minor points still without an idea as to what the OP's requirements are
- Repeat
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am

Blacksmith wrote:
The AR-10 (designed around the then standard 7.62 NATO) was submitted for testing in 1955, long before the AR-15 was alive and kicking.
I guess two years is a long time. :P

I always find it hilarious at ZS where:

- The OP never says what his real requirements are
- An AR-15 gets recommended within the first 1-5 posts
- The rest is all piling on and arguing about minor points still without an idea as to what the OP's requirements are
- Repeat
The internet is for pr0n and arguing with people. We have a no pr0n rule here so what else are we supposed to do? :lol:

breakcontact

Post by breakcontact » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Well my $.02 after buying a dpms in .308 about a year ago for a varmint/range toy, is to not go that brand for a defensive rifle. I love my rifle, its fun to shoot and does what I want from it and I've had no major issues with it, but its never been battle tested, and the cheapest ones(like mine) don't have accessories like forward assists(not really that necessary unless you plan on running hundreds of rounds without a thought to cleaning) or dust covers, which I think is important esp. if hunting. I also own 2 Smith and Wesson M and P ar 15's and they do all that I want from them as well, the parts for the m and p rifle are more common and cheaper, they are a lot cheaper to shoot, and follow ups are faster, for me at least. You should look at 400 grains new m and p 10, 18"in pretty light looking barrel, and its over 8 lbs without glass. http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0&start=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm not knocking your want for the .308, I love mine, they are heavier, but thats for a reason, they have more KE and better range among other things. What you're describing you want, with the criteria I would place against it, I would get, in this order of preference, LMT308MWSE, its issued by the British military as a DMR, then the LaRue OBR 7.62, but both of these rifles are $3k+. For the more economical route, the smith and wesson m and p 10, $1.6k is the listed price on the website. I have two of the m and p 15s that are my go to defense rifles and I would trust something from them to be a good defense rifle without breaking the bank. But if you have the $$ go for one of the nicer ones, just to inspire hate and envy in all the .308 ar haters :crazy:

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”